Color Inspiration

Turquoise, Persimmon, Neutrals, Grey and Black

October 19, 2009

Hello Friends, it’s me Leslie again for Color Me Pretty! This time around I decided to play with turquoise, persimmon, lots of neutrals, a little grey and a touch of black. I wanted to use this palette to explore some David Hick’s inspired patterns. It seems Hick’s has influenced many American designers these days, like Kelly Wearstler, Tory Burch and Jonathan Adler. It is easy to see why as his work was bold, graphic and loaded with colors and textures. I tried to tone it down a little to see how we could incorporate some of these bold graphics into our existing décor with a little DIY project, I hope you like this little study.

Turquoise, Persimmon, Neutrals, Grey and Black

DIY I wanted to create a super easy piece of wall art with some of the patterns I painted for you. Thus, I scanned in the painted patterns and printed them out onto matte ink jet paper. (The colors do not always come out exact as scanners vary – like mine -which is not very good!) I then took my lovely little Marvy square punch and quickly punched out squares from my patterned paper. I then created a grid on a piece of 12 x 18″ paper – I used this size because I had an old unused frame in my garage that was just waiting to be dusted off. I used spraymount adhesive (a type of toxic spray glue that works beautifully as it does not warp the paper like regular glue) to lightly spray each square and then placed it in the grid I had penciled on the white paper and voila! Now, if you do not have a square punch it is easy to cut up paper with an x-acto blade and a ruler. As for the patterned paper you could use anything with a design on it that matches with your home…it would be really nice to use old photographs too- because if you are like me there are lots of photos in boxes that could be used and would look great. (Like all those ocean or flower shots!)

Turquoise, Persimmon, Neutrals, Grey and Black

Turquoise, Persimmon, Neutrals, Grey and Black

When you use a primarily neutral color scheme in your home you must rely on texture and pattern to create some interest so that the space does not look to bland. It is fun to then use dabs of bold color to really show off the colors you enjoy like persimmon (which is basically just a darker orange but sounds more “designy” – right?). I use this color in little doses in my dining area with some vintage plates hanging on the wall along with some art that features the dark orange-red along with grays, whites and wood. Turquoise looks great in the mix too as it really makes the dark orange pop especially when you have the neutral tones in there creating negative space around the colors. If bold colors kind of scare you start with some flowers or a small accessory like a vase and see if in fact the color may just brighten your day!

Turquoise, Persimmon, Neutrals, Grey and Black

Turquoise, Persimmon, Neutrals, Grey and Black

I hope you enjoyed this study and I will see you back here November 9TH, enjoy the rest of the month! – xo, Leslie Shewring

To see  more of Leslie’s posts, click here.

(image copyright: Leslie Shewring)

You Might Also Like

53 Comments

• Reply Katie - Coco Målé October 19, 2009 at 12:35 pm

I’ve always been a great advocate of orange in the home (much nicer than red or burgundy in my opinion), but never thought to combine it with turquoise!!! how refreshing and mouthwatering…
    .-= Katie – Coco Målé´s last blog ..Always look on the bright side of life! =-.

• Reply Antoinette October 19, 2009 at 12:43 pm

I absolutely love the color combination used here! It’s a perfect combination of warm and cool colors. The patterns are also so fresh, and the way styled the shoot really allows these colors to pop! Thank you for sharing.
    .-= Antoinette´s last blog ..Our Invitation was on the Today Show =-.

• Reply Melissa A. October 19, 2009 at 12:53 pm

I never dreamed I would like blue and orange together, but I really like the way you designed your color palette today.

• Reply Danielle October 19, 2009 at 12:56 pm

I actually did this color scheme in my kitchen and it turned out so cute! I added a little chocolate brown to the mix and am so pleased with it!

• Reply Sophia October 19, 2009 at 12:58 pm

Love this combo..have had it in my studio for about 5 years.

• Reply monica burnett October 19, 2009 at 12:59 pm

breathtaking, i love that BRIGHT orange!

.-= monica burnett´s last blog ..what i wore today =-.

• Reply trish October 19, 2009 at 1:05 pm

For the love of jesus- such gorgeous work and love that went into this post. Really well done, again. kudos. note each post, very much appreciated!
    .-= trish´s last blog ..today’s wish list =-.

• Reply laura trevey October 19, 2009 at 1:09 pm

Gorgeous vibrant color palette!!
    .-= laura trevey´s last blog ..Italian Seaside, Original Watercolor, Fine Art, 20 by 28 =-.

• Reply Sallie Ann Westbrook October 19, 2009 at 1:15 pm

I love this color combo, and in fact, used something similar 2 years ago for holiday decorating. There is actually a really gorgeous collection of fabrics by Kravit (I think) in this color way. My favorite was a crewel work textile, with big birds. Your pictures are gorgeous!

• Reply blue bicicletta October 19, 2009 at 1:18 pm

I love the turquoise and persimmon combination—the two colors really riff off of each other! And what a great DIY art project! I love the combination of different patterns pulled together by a common color and the repetition of the square shape! Truly inspired! You can do such interesting things by using repetition with variation.
    .-= blue bicicletta´s last blog ..Edible Escapades =-.

• Reply Concha October 19, 2009 at 1:25 pm

Wonderful, as usual!

Today I was thinking about my next sitting room’s colour scheme (first I’ll have to move… let’s see when that happens). I am considering light grey, white, aqua and some splashes of salmon… and now I see that persimmon is fabulous too!

Thanks Leslie!
    .-= Concha´s last blog ..Corners of my home :: bedroom =-.

• Reply Wedding Chicks October 19, 2009 at 1:25 pm

love love love this color scheme!!! what a great diy idea!

• Reply becky from hatch October 19, 2009 at 1:28 pm

Love Love LOVE Turquoise & Orange! I’m envious of your berries and paper lanterns, as well as those papers you used in the DIY.

• Reply Lindsay {Shrimp} October 19, 2009 at 1:55 pm

Oh. My. Gosh.

You are absolutely brilliant with colors!!! This whole compilation is beyond gorgeous!

That cutout wall art is a differently-colored version of something I made in college, and you just inspired me to dig it up and frame it – thanks!
    .-= Lindsay {Shrimp}´s last blog ..The Anti-Treasury – Winter With a Chance of Fall =-.

• Reply Kelly in Canada October 19, 2009 at 2:04 pm

I love this…it reminds me of the sentiment that there is some of every season in all the seasons. The cool blue hues make me think of late summer skies but the persimmon (especially on the Chinese lantern pods) are truly autumn wonders. I am quite new to your site but after seeing this post I can’t wait to explore the colour me pretty entries and all the others. Thank you.

• Reply Nuit October 19, 2009 at 2:29 pm

what a LOVELY piece of wall art!! totally adorbs. I do like the color combination but your patterns are to die for!
    .-= Nuit´s last blog ..My idea of happiness…. =-.

• Reply Penny Patten October 19, 2009 at 3:11 pm

Such a pretty combination of colors!
    .-= Penny Patten´s last blog ..Antique Dress/ Altered Couture =-.

• Reply My Owl Barn October 19, 2009 at 3:30 pm

Thanks Leslie for the tips. DIY project instructions seem easy for me to give it a try. Your art work really looks nice. Color palette is just perfect.
    .-= My Owl Barn´s last blog ..~Owl Themed Baby Shower~ =-.

• Reply Pixel Wild Child October 19, 2009 at 4:04 pm

I love the DIY project, it came out so beautiful!!! I may try it with photos of flowers as suggested ;O)
    .-= Pixel Wild Child´s last blog ..Mondays are not for me! :OP =-.

• Reply kristyn October 19, 2009 at 4:06 pm

Leslie,

Are you using a potter’s pen or regular masking fluid for the white lines in your watercolor sketches?

I love blue and orange together – great project!!

• Reply decor8 October 19, 2009 at 4:29 pm

Kristyn, I think she’s using white ink with a fine tip brush… that’s what I use…

• Reply leslie October 19, 2009 at 5:14 pm

Hi Kristyn and Holly :) I use a pen holder (potter’s pen) with a Speedball pen point #513EF -I learned about it from Geninne’s Art Blog. Holly you must have the steadiest hand!!! The pen holder was the only way for me to get a consistent line weight quickly…I have tried tiny brushes though…just gives a pretty painterly effect.

Thank you for the lovely comments everyone!
    .-= leslie´s last blog ..Island Apples =-.

• Reply decor8 October 19, 2009 at 5:31 pm

Leslie – I don’t! At all! I am going to see if I can find one of those now. I learned about the white ink from Geninne too!!!

• Reply Kristi @ Addicted 2 Decorating October 19, 2009 at 6:00 pm

Oh my…I almost with I hadn’t read (or seen) this post!! It took me ages to decide on the colors I wanted to use in my Tiny Little Condo, and I finally decided on turquoise and apple green. I knew I wanted to accent with touches of either cherry red or orange, and I finally decided on cherry red. Now I’m wishing I had gone with orange!! There’s just something so fresh and vibrant about orange.

Hmm…maybe I can work some of it in somewhere. My place is just SOOO tiny that I don’t want it ending up looking like a circus with so many colors.
    .-= Kristi @ Addicted 2 Decorating´s last blog ..Before & After:: Chest of Drawers =-.

• Reply Ashley October 19, 2009 at 6:04 pm

What refreshing colour palette! I just love the deep rich oranges you used and the blue and tan are just so serene!!

• Reply Melissa de la Fuente October 19, 2009 at 6:20 pm

wow….speechless….again! At the risk of sounding repetitive….I just don’t know how you do it Leslie…you are amazing and so incredibly talented. Plus, your tone is so inclusive and warm, which means a lot to me for one. I just adore this color combo and you have solved a decorating dilemma for me! I have a room with turq accents and had been ruminating on how to tie the room together. Now I know! So, thank you sweet Leslie. Once again , I am completely amazed by you and I wish you lived right next door so I could see all of this beauty first hand! :)
    xo
    Melis
    .-= Melissa de la Fuente´s last blog ..Monday: lovely and magical =-.

• Reply Amy Strodl October 19, 2009 at 6:40 pm

Absolutely beautiful color study!
    .-= Amy Strodl´s last blog ..Flower Power! =-.

• Reply Heather- Gathering Spriggs October 19, 2009 at 6:48 pm

Thanks Leslie. You continue to inspire. I am constantly amazed at your attention to detail. Everything is perfection (even your writing style as you describe your process)!
    .-= Heather- Gathering Spriggs´s last blog ..Blog of the Week: Miss Wallflower =-.

• Reply ellie October 19, 2009 at 8:24 pm

Amazing blog again!!! Love your fresh flower bouquet, the neat fall fabrics
    and the inspiring art ideas, it’s like an art lesson. I’m going to get busy!
    Thank you, love Ellie.

• Reply Diane October 19, 2009 at 8:37 pm

Once again, an absolutely beautiful post with amazing color combinations. I love the turquoise and bright orange…who would have thought?
    Thanks for the inspiration Leslie.

• Reply Kellie October 19, 2009 at 9:37 pm

very very pretty! wonderful!
    .-= Kellie´s last blog ..Baby Announcements for Friends! =-.

• Reply Kylie @ All Things Lovely October 19, 2009 at 9:40 pm

What a gorgeous combination! Not something I’ve seen a lot of, I really like it. :) Plus, I love the artwork you created!
    .-= Kylie @ All Things Lovely´s last blog ..Roses A Blooming!! =-.

• Reply Amanda October 19, 2009 at 11:31 pm

I was so inspired by your post Leslie, that I put together my own palette of Tangerine and Tiffany – a slight twist on your Persimmon and Turquoise. I have posted it to my blog if you are interested. http://amandafullerdesigns.blogspot.com/2009/10/palette-play.html
    Once again Decor8 Daily fills my daily inspiration needs!
    Thanks Holly and Leslie!

• Reply vicki October 19, 2009 at 11:55 pm

Leslie, you are beyond creative! I’m in awe when I look at your photos and the the projects you put together. Beautiful and truly stunning. :)

• Reply Fraulein F. October 20, 2009 at 1:59 am

Oh wow- this color combination is just so lovely! A great inspiration! The winter season gets more bright.
    .-= Fraulein F.´s last blog ..Zwingligeist vs. Savoir Vivre =-.

• Reply Jacqueline October 20, 2009 at 2:01 am

I always enjoy this colum! I aodre these colors and leslie always give me such wonderful inspiration! Aodre the DIY project! Have a lovely merry happy day and love to all of you!

• Reply My Sweet Prints October 20, 2009 at 2:02 am

Beautiful colours and photography! I might try that at home one rainy day soon. Thanks for the inspiration. Janette

• Reply Judith ~ Felicity Crew October 20, 2009 at 2:06 am

Oh I love the color schemes presented here! Great post, Leslie – thanks!
    .-= Judith ~ Felicity Crew´s last blog ..Fall apples – 5×5 original fine art photograph =-.

• Reply Isabelle October 20, 2009 at 2:10 am

I am in the process of refurbishing our retirement bungalow. It is small and I have decided to use white on all of the walls and neutral floor coverings. I had been worried about how to give it that lift, this article comes at the right time.

I had thought blue, but decided it was not quite right. This gives a way of giving the brightness I was looking for, I would never have thought of persimmon – or burnt orange!

Thank you.

• Reply Juana @ SweetVisualAids October 20, 2009 at 3:24 am

Love the DIY project! what a simple and great idea to have a unique art piece :)
    .-= Juana @ SweetVisualAids´s last blog ..Simple, recycled and unique, this is Freitag =-.

• Reply Caitlin October 20, 2009 at 10:48 am

This is absolutely amazing!! I have always really disliked orange, but now seeing it in this context it looks completely different to me!! I love all of these. This colour combo has been stuck in my head ever since, and I feel so inspired by it! Its so great when an unexpected and previous disliked colour palette can be so captivating and inspiring!
    .-= Caitlin´s last blog ..Vintage Glamour =-.

• Reply IngerTing@blogspot.com October 20, 2009 at 11:25 am

Wow! I’m lost for words, but I really love this blog!

• Reply eva / sycamore street press October 20, 2009 at 11:39 am

love this! your watercolors pattern drawings are gorgeous. (And we call that color “persimmon” over at SSP, too:)

• Reply fresh365 October 20, 2009 at 1:26 pm

This is one of my favorite color palettes right now. Another amazing job, Leslie! And those flowers are amazing!

• Reply norwegian.autumn October 20, 2009 at 1:32 pm

These pictures are sooo amazing!!! Wow – kind of breathtaking!! <3
    .-= norwegian.autumn´s last blog ..One evening and two free days left… =-.

• Reply kristyn October 20, 2009 at 3:48 pm

Thanks Leslie and Holly for the watercolor info, inspiring posts and my favorite blog!!!

• Reply maria1975 October 20, 2009 at 11:01 pm

Such a pretty color palette – great post :)

• Reply Alice Wilson October 21, 2009 at 8:31 am

Love the combination of colors! You do beautiful work and thanks for sharing it with us. I thought you may be interested in some diy ideas that I came across on the ReadyMade site. I work with them and couldn’t help, but find a connection with your project.

• Reply seema October 21, 2009 at 3:02 pm

Gorgeous colors and one of my favorite inspirations- David Hicks! Thanks…

• Reply lvdecor October 22, 2009 at 8:02 pm

Wow! I Love that color combination! I don’t know why I can’t come up with that kind of thing on my own! I really appreciate your inspiration. I like to decorate my rooms using wall decals, so if I find something I like better (like just now!) I can easily change the look. I’ve been wanting a “different” fall look, and this is just the ticket! I’m very excited!

• Reply sarah October 22, 2009 at 9:08 pm

nice project! i will be linking on my blog!

• Reply Cindy October 27, 2009 at 6:21 pm

I love your color studies. They’re always so beautiful! The wall art project is a great idea for something quick and easy. I might just have to give that a try w/ some patterned paper!
    .-= Cindy´s last blog ..Stuck in a rut =-.

• Reply gypsy November 10, 2009 at 11:40 am

Orange and blue – I love this cool combo, ahev started to collect blue glass so perfect x