Seasonal Decorating

I thought that this morning I’d share a glimpse of how one blogger, Nadine from Herz-allerliebst in Germany, decorates her home for the seasons. Her cozy decorating style is, at least the colors and accessories, quite common here (in the north where I live) in books, magazines and in many of the local shops but Nadine infuses lots of her own handmade elements to give this look personality and warmth. I love seasonal decor because nature redecorates the landscape every three months and with that, there are so many textures, smells, colors and patterns that we can bring into the home. Seasonal decor, at least the style that I prefer and use, is kept very simple by either bringing in found objects (nuts, seed pods, leaves, etc.), using flowers and greenery that is in season to create thoughtful arrangements, or simply by using functional items as decor — instead of hiding them away, display your pretty scarf on a hook in the hallway and your yellow wellies by the front door.

Seasonal Decor with herz-allerliebst

There are many simple, affordable touches that one can add without going overboard or spending too much money. In my opinion, I guess based on the time period when I grew up, less is more when it comes to this sort of thing if you want to keep the look clean, focused and somewhat modern  – whether that’s vintage modern, mid century modern, Scandinavian modern – I think the key is to decorate without the decoration taking over – bringing a season in from the outdoors doesn’t have to be the focal point, you can simply mix it in with what you already have to complement your current decor – not distract from it. Nadine does a lovely job at this. I’m quite fond of how well she mixes things without losing her personal style or straying from her color palette. These photos show both her fall and winter ideas. They are so cozy and accessible and while not all decorate in this style, you can still pick up ideas from examining her photos and arrangements of things no matter what look you have going on in your pretty little nest.

Seasonal Decor with herz-allerliebst

Seasonal Decor with herz-allerliebst

Seasonal Decor with herz-allerliebst

Seasonal Decor with herz-allerliebst

Seasonal Decor with herz-allerliebst

Seasonal Decor with herz-allerliebst

You can see how some elements are used again, but in a different way or with other things that make them look fresh, like the glass cloche and the little deer, for example. Lots of simple touches, like ribbon and baker’s twine, are inexpensive but charming. Simple wreaths on a cabinet give an otherwise all-white cabinet a bit of color and warmth. Using seasonal fruits, flowers, branches and twigs, nuts and veggies also dress things up but are also functional – you can eat most of them or return them to their natural environment when you are finished. I like that her muffins were made with homemade flags, an easy DIY but it definitely makes a simple snack look even more appetizing! Add a warm blanket, some candles, and you can easily create a cozy space, too!

Lovely work, Nadine!

(images: Herz-allerliebst)

Posted by decor8 in Decorating Tips on October 26, 2009

1. Kylie @ All Things Lovely commented
    October 26th, 2009 at 6:06am

It’s all so utterly lovely. She has beautiful taste. I love how easy it can be to change the look of a room each season by just changing or adding a few things. Says me who really wanted to completely change the spring/summer look in my home, we’re now staring down the barrel of summer & it looks the same as it did last year!!
    .-= Kylie @ All Things Lovely´s last blog ..New Packaging – New Everything! =-.

2. Katja commented
    October 26th, 2009 at 7:02am

I also love some seasonal things in our home. Just a few on some special places… This blanket is amazing. I need it too!

3. anke commented
    October 26th, 2009 at 7:19am

so beautiful! I hope my flat will be that pretty one day.
    .-= anke´s last blog ..Bang Art Magazine / Horoscope #4 =-.

4. lisa :: the red thread commented
    October 26th, 2009 at 7:40am

Beautiful images! I think the twine tied on the apple says it all.
    .-= lisa :: the red thread´s last blog ..Lighting Giveaway =-.

5. Lydia, Clueless Crafter commented
    October 26th, 2009 at 7:44am

Using the elements we pull out naturally like throw blankets, scented candles, colorful wellies should be used to our decorating advantage.

You’re right, what a natural way to decorate.
    .-= Lydia, Clueless Crafter´s last blog ..HouseCraft: Illuminate Your World from the Inside Out =-.

6. Kathi @ allthingswhite commented
    October 26th, 2009 at 7:59am

This is just lovely !!! And it is the perfect inspiration for me on this dreary autumn Monday- thank you so much for sharing this!
    .-= Kathi @ allthingswhite´s last blog ..Vintage Clip-On Bird =-.

7. Andee commented
    October 26th, 2009 at 8:03am

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I’ve felt a bit like a scrooge because I don’t fill my house with Garden Ridge type decorations for each season like a lot of my friends here in Texas. This house is definitely more my style. Maybe I’m living in the wrong country? :) This is so inspiring, and amazingly beautiful.

8. Katie - Coco Målé commented
    October 26th, 2009 at 8:15am

love the little reindeer – so cute!!
    .-= Katie – Coco Målé´s last blog ..Indian Inspiration =-.

9. Jacqueline commented
    October 26th, 2009 at 8:38am

These images makes me happy and makes me wanna listern to some christmas tunes. They are really soo inspiring and lovely! Have a lovely merry happy week and love to you!
    .-= Jacqueline´s last blog ..Bones has a new friend name hannah =-.

10. Melissa de la Fuente commented
    October 26th, 2009 at 8:44am

How incredible! And beautiful…..I love that she uses all of these easily accessible things & incorporates them in such a delicate and beautiful way. It doesn’t hurt that her home is gorgeous and such a wonderful white backdrop for everything! Thanks for sharing this Holly!
    xo
    Melis
    .-= Melissa de la Fuente´s last blog ..Monday: black & yellow =-.

11. Michelle commented
    October 26th, 2009 at 9:05am

Yes, what a beautiful example of less is more. And her site is beautiful as well–although not able to read it, the images are gorgeous!

12. caro commented
    October 26th, 2009 at 9:07am

Wow, her home looks wonderful and the decoration ideas are so great. Especially the wreath in the last picture … Next weekend I’ll visit my grandma and nick some “Erika” from her garden … Have a nice week, greets from Koblenz
    .-= caro´s last blog ..Monday morning… =-.

13. Melanie commented
    October 26th, 2009 at 9:59am

I’m in awe. This is simply beautiful and a nice twist to the traditional.

14. Yoli commented
    October 26th, 2009 at 10:11am

Thank you for bringing all this holiday sheer out! I love the season!

15. Callie commented
    October 26th, 2009 at 10:22am

Oh how tasteful! I get so tired of over-wrought holiday decorations… simple and quaint. Delightful, as usual!
    .-= Callie´s last blog ..Monday Motivation : Autumnizing =-.

16. Alice at Simply The Nest commented
    October 26th, 2009 at 12:45pm

I love this post. Especially the bowl of conkers, which takes me straight back to my childhood – rummaging through the leaves to find the biggest chestnuts, taking them home, peeling off the prickly skins, covering them in varnish, and then storing them in the freezer – all in the name of becoming the Grand Master Conker Champion of my little school :-)

Also, just this morning I was looking at the new mirrored cabinet that I just bought for my bedroom, and trying to decide how to decorate the top of it without actually having to go out and buy new accessories – so now I am feeling totally inspired to create a monthly seasonal display using flowers, foliage, berries, fruit, fabric, ribbon and so on that I already have lying around the house and garden. So thank you – this post came at the perfect time for me!
    .-= Alice at Simply The Nest´s last blog ..I’m Loving It – Fabulous London Home =-.

17. Kristin commented
    October 26th, 2009 at 1:05pm

Love, love, love it! The wreaths made from greenery and all of the twigs are my favorite. The look is subtle… not over-the-top seasonal decorating. I like that.
    .-= Kristin´s last blog ..Tips: Accessorizing with Objects, Part II =-.

18. vicki (simply hue) commented
    October 26th, 2009 at 1:05pm

Hi Holly. :) These photos are beautiful and just what I needed to see on a gray, drizzly Seattle morning. Thanks! xo

19. Kitty commented
    October 26th, 2009 at 1:36pm

WOW! I can’t decide which I like more: the photos or the decorations! Simply beautiful.
    .-= Kitty´s last blog ..call me =-.

20. Judith ~ Felicity Crew commented
    October 26th, 2009 at 2:25pm

Very inspiring post! Thank you.
    .-= Judith ~ Felicity Crew´s last blog ..Nana’s Chili. 5×5 – original fine art photograph =-.

21. Brooke H commented
    October 26th, 2009 at 4:40pm

So simple and pretty, thanks for sharing! My faves are the reindeer pic and the polka dot mug/cup next to the chocolate “covered” wooden spoon. :)
    .-= Brooke H´s last blog ..Fashion discussion panel with. . . =-.

22. nicoletter commented
    October 26th, 2009 at 5:44pm

Oh how cute! Thank you Holly for publishing this article about Nadine. I love her photos and I think she’s got a great sense for colours, decoration and harmonie. Her home looks always so peaceful. I think it’s certainly wonderful to live there.
    .-= nicoletter´s last blog ..Ein neuer Schrank… a new cabinet… =-.

23. I'm (not) Superhuman commented
    October 26th, 2009 at 6:55pm

I love how unfussy it all is. My favorites are the wreaths on the hutch and the floral wreath on the chair. Thanks!
    .-= I’m (not) Superhuman´s last blog ..The Great Big Weekend Adventure =-.

24. Cookie Cutter commented
    October 26th, 2009 at 10:52pm

These images are getting me into the festive mood! Especially love the cute little deer.
    .-= Cookie Cutter´s last blog ..Afternoon Tea =-.

25. A Sort Of Fairy Tale commented
    October 26th, 2009 at 11:30pm

love the little doe dear in some of the photos! really beautiful, all of it…
    .-= A Sort Of Fairy Tale´s last blog ..Faded Flowers: Cath Kidston =-.

26. Melissa Allam commented
    October 26th, 2009 at 11:54pm

So pretty and simple. I’m really loving the simplicty lately.
    .-= Melissa Allam´s last blog ..A gift from my friend =-.

27. sarathira commented
    October 27th, 2009 at 7:20am

i love this time of year, where people are starting to talk about seasonal decorations, and i dont even celebrate christmas! haha by the way, welcome back holly! hope you had a romantic one at that. i missed by a day and wow, there’s so many new updates, yay! :)
    .-= sarathira´s last blog ..Trompe l’oeil =-.

28. kayacamilla commented
    October 27th, 2009 at 10:18am

Great Decorations for Christmas seasons :)

The photos posted here were all very beautiful..nice arts, nice style…nice tips. It motivate me to create a handmade christmas decoration. I am so excited to celebrate christmas along with the beautiful modernize, handmade decorations.

29. shay commented
    October 27th, 2009 at 11:56am

Inspirational,emotional and simply gorgeous.
    :0} Thanks so much for sharing.
    Shay

30. dagmara commented
    October 27th, 2009 at 7:26pm

Funny you should post this because I just bought these http://www.flickr.com/photos/snoopy126/4044797740/ and some wheat sheafs to decorate my dining room table. Hoorah for not having to water anything!

31. Penny Patten commented
    October 28th, 2009 at 7:38am

I love the simplicty of decorating in this way. All looks wonderful!
    .-= Penny Patten´s last blog ..New England Bloggers Mixer =-.

32. troy commented
    October 28th, 2009 at 11:24pm

that cute little deer figure!! my grandmother had a set of three of those deer, a family … buck, doe, and fawn (same as this cute little fawn!), and i have searched and searched for a set just like them. she used them every christmas in a little “forest” she’d create in this big glass globe, so this little guy brings back very fond memories. anyone know where i might find these, by chance? i’ve searched etsy, ebay, anitque/vintage shops, and christmas sites, and made countless random google searches, all to no avail. :(

all the rest is so simple, refreshing, and beautiful!

33. Amy - no. 15 creative commented
    October 29th, 2009 at 3:27pm

I love simple seasonal decorations. The apples under glass and simple wreaths on the cabinet. So pretty.
    .-= Amy – no. 15 creative´s last blog ..Hitchcock Style =-.

34. Mary Lou commented
    November 2nd, 2009 at 5:46pm

Absolutely lovely. Christmas has always been huge in my family’s home. Now it’s just me, but I still like to decorate. I also decorate the bathrooms. However, I find I’m doing simpler things now. I also hope to get my bedroom in order this year to do some holiday cheer in there as well! This is definitely inspiration!

35. Sherman commented
    January 15th, 2010 at 9:33am

Love all the pics. Some really great ideas to get the creative juices flowing. I love to change my homes decor with the seasons. It gives me a chance to let my home really reflect my personality. I love using slipcovers to change the appearance of my furniture and changing the window treatments make a huge impact on a room. I found a great site that carries many products to change your decor seasonally: http://www.surefit.net/index.cfm?stc=0115100002 I also love to add and change the exotic houseplants within my home. This can add so much life. If you don’t mind painting… its very inexpensive and also can really change the feel of a room.