Julie Morstad

Canadian artist Julie Morstad has such a gorgeous portfolio of her illustrative work online, you simply must take a peek to see it! And the good news for those who like her work is that she has a small shop where you can purchase a special print for your home. If you have children, or are young-at-heart, you may also enjoy the various books she has illustrated, you find them here.

Julie Morstad

Her work is surreal and therefore quite imaginative, a bit creepy even, with lots of animalization which we’re seeing a lot in the art world, don’t you think? The line between her human characters and animals is blurred and there is a lot of symbolism – emotions are shown through physical objects more than the facial expressions. Her characters lack facial expressions don’t they? But the objects around them seem to be showing what their faces are not. It is so interesting to study her work and to create your own idea of what she could be trying to share through it.

I found an amazing write up over at the Sans Everything, a blog on politics and culture with some art posts from time to time, about her artistic style. I swear, it’s one of the best blog “art” reviews I’ve ever read. The writer is just incredible in his description — you can read it here to see what I mean.

(images: julie morstad)

Posted by decor8 in Arts + Crafts on October 30, 2009

1. Fog and Thistle commented
    October 30th, 2009 at 6:28am

Years ago, Nichole (Little Brown Pen) gave us a copy of When You Were Small with illustrations by Julie. It is such a sweet book, both with the copy and the gorgeous illustrations. If anyone likes her style and has young kids, definitely worth picking up.
    .-= Fog and Thistle´s last blog ..Let’s Talk Photography =-.

2. ktrn commented
    October 30th, 2009 at 7:46am

The “stilts” illustration looks amazing, he has a great style!
    .-= ktrn´s last blog ..poolga =-.

3. Afi commented
    October 30th, 2009 at 8:15am

Wonderful illustrator! I didn’t know about her and now I’m happy that I found her! Thank you Holly! I agree that there is something in her work that makes it creepy and mysterious! She must be an interesting person :) Beautiful imagination…
    .-= Afi´s last blog ..Illustration Friday: Fast =-.

4. My Owl Barn commented
    October 30th, 2009 at 8:20am

Great work. I love the surreal element in her work. The description by Jeet at Sans is very interesting and I understand her art much better now.
    .-= My Owl Barn´s last blog ..Iittala’s Magic – Taika =-.

5. Penny Patten commented
    October 31st, 2009 at 5:27pm

Interesting work. I like the towers of cups!
    .-= Penny Patten´s last blog ..Dressed up Bracelets =-.

6. catherine m. commented
    November 1st, 2009 at 12:57pm

Julie’s an old friend of mine from when I lived in Vancouver and I’ve always adored her work – she had so much talent even before she went to art school!
    .-= catherine m.´s last blog ..doggie odds & ends =-.

7. nichole commented
    November 1st, 2009 at 9:31pm

Ack! Love Julie. She’s actually a good friend of a friend, and she did some custom illustrations for SaffronRouge.com (a then client of mine). She’s so talented, and I adore her work!

Glad to see her here today. ;)
    .-= nichole´s last blog ..Happy Halloween =-.

8. LethaColleen commented
    November 2nd, 2009 at 3:57pm

oooooh a new find for me… I LOVE her work! The concepts and style…everything about it is just so well done. Thank you for sharing!
    .-= LethaColleen´s last blog ..Elizabeth & Lowell… =-.

9. lauren commented
    November 6th, 2009 at 7:38am

Hi – can anyone tell me anything about Morstad. I’m doing an artist study of some of her paintings for school and can’t find any info on her. Does anyone know her nationality, what medias she uses (ink, watercolour, or what?) – thanks so much.