Arts + Crafts

Julie Morstad

October 30, 2009

Canadian artist Julie Morstad has such a gorgeous portfolio of her illustrative work online, you simply must take a peek to see it! And the good news for those who like her work is that she has a small shop where you can purchase a special print for your home. If you have children, or are young-at-heart, you may also enjoy the various books she has illustrated, you find them here.

Julie Morstad

Her work is surreal and therefore quite imaginative, a bit creepy even, with lots of animalization which we’re seeing a lot in the art world, don’t you think? The line between her human characters and animals is blurred and there is a lot of symbolism – emotions are shown through physical objects more than the facial expressions. Her characters lack facial expressions don’t they? But the objects around them seem to be showing what their faces are not. It is so interesting to study her work and to create your own idea of what she could be trying to share through it.

I found an amazing write up over at the Sans Everything, a blog on politics and culture with some art posts from time to time, about her artistic style. I swear, it’s one of the best blog “art” reviews I’ve ever read. The writer is just incredible in his description — you can read it here to see what I mean.

(images: julie morstad)

You Might Also Like

9 Comments

• Reply Fog and Thistle October 30, 2009 at 6:28 am

Years ago, Nichole (Little Brown Pen) gave us a copy of When You Were Small with illustrations by Julie. It is such a sweet book, both with the copy and the gorgeous illustrations. If anyone likes her style and has young kids, definitely worth picking up.
    .-= Fog and Thistle´s last blog ..Let’s Talk Photography =-.

• Reply ktrn October 30, 2009 at 7:46 am

The “stilts” illustration looks amazing, he has a great style!
    .-= ktrn´s last blog ..poolga =-.

• Reply Afi October 30, 2009 at 8:15 am

Wonderful illustrator! I didn’t know about her and now I’m happy that I found her! Thank you Holly! I agree that there is something in her work that makes it creepy and mysterious! She must be an interesting person :) Beautiful imagination…
    .-= Afi´s last blog ..Illustration Friday: Fast =-.

• Reply My Owl Barn October 30, 2009 at 8:20 am

Great work. I love the surreal element in her work. The description by Jeet at Sans is very interesting and I understand her art much better now.
    .-= My Owl Barn´s last blog ..Iittala’s Magic – Taika =-.

• Reply Penny Patten October 31, 2009 at 5:27 pm

Interesting work. I like the towers of cups!
    .-= Penny Patten´s last blog ..Dressed up Bracelets =-.

• Reply catherine m. November 1, 2009 at 12:57 pm

Julie’s an old friend of mine from when I lived in Vancouver and I’ve always adored her work – she had so much talent even before she went to art school!
    .-= catherine m.´s last blog ..doggie odds & ends =-.

• Reply nichole November 1, 2009 at 9:31 pm

Ack! Love Julie. She’s actually a good friend of a friend, and she did some custom illustrations for SaffronRouge.com (a then client of mine). She’s so talented, and I adore her work!

Glad to see her here today. ;)
    .-= nichole´s last blog ..Happy Halloween =-.

• Reply LethaColleen November 2, 2009 at 3:57 pm

oooooh a new find for me… I LOVE her work! The concepts and style…everything about it is just so well done. Thank you for sharing!
    .-= LethaColleen´s last blog ..Elizabeth & Lowell… =-.

• Reply lauren November 6, 2009 at 7:38 am

Hi – can anyone tell me anything about Morstad. I’m doing an artist study of some of her paintings for school and can’t find any info on her. Does anyone know her nationality, what medias she uses (ink, watercolour, or what?) – thanks so much.