Yarn Wreaths

I was feeling crafty and whipped up this yarn wreath over the weekend. It was very relaxing, easy, and a lot of fun! I got the idea from Katie Runnels who makes and sells them in her shop and who just so happened to post a tutorial on her blog TODAY (talk about timing!). I thought that, being my first wreath, I could attempt to make a little something for my door. Here is the result, it’s a winter wreath that I will no doubt use until I’m tired of it and decide to get more yarn and make another! :)

finished my wreath!

close up.. :)

I selected these colors because the craft store that I went to only had 10 colors and I wasn’t feeling the primary color scheme so I grabbed three of my favorites, a pretty little bird with a feathered tail, and a plastic ornament that splits in half — I used only half of it to build the little nest. The nest was made out of recycled packing materials (I keep things I feel may be good for a crafts project), a little ribbon, and mushrooms that were bright red that I painted eggplant. The wreath is white foam, flat on the back side so it’s great for hanging flush against the wall. I basically wrapped yarn around the foam, tied it into place and then embellished here and there with some ribbons in white since I’m very limited with supplies since I’m still unpacking!

Now I’m inspired to make more, I figure with this one only being my first and taking me about 2 hours in front of a movie, then perhaps I can whip up a few more as presents… I really want to do one in a nature theme in greens and blues with natural twigs and a little nest too. Maybe for Spring! If wreath making is your thing, and you’re looking for something crafty and fun to do that is also quite inexpensive (Mine was $10 total for all materials), then I encourage you to give it a try. :)

(images: holly becker for decor8)

Posted by decor8 in Arts + Crafts on November 03, 2009

1. lesley commented
    November 3rd, 2009 at 12:53pm

love that! thanks for the idea, i think i’ll try that for my winter door wreath this year :)
    .-= lesley´s last blog ..cataloguing 01 :: secret poetry bangle =-.

2. Kelly commented
    November 3rd, 2009 at 12:56pm

This turned out so cute! I made a wreath about a week ago (just something really simple… http://www.everkelly.com/?p=286), and it was the most relaxing project I’ve done in a while. I’ve already been thinking I may need to upgrade it, but maybe I’ll try one like this instead.
    .-= Kelly´s last blog ..Mondays =-.

3. Sarah commented
    November 3rd, 2009 at 12:57pm

I love that you choose non-traditional colors. The purple really seems like a color that IS you. I’m going to check out that tutorial and make some of my own.

4. JoannaS commented
    November 3rd, 2009 at 1:06pm

I’m very impressed that you took time to make this just after receiving all your boxes!! It’s lovely & unique:-) I remember when we just arrived here in the US – our stuff was somewhere on the sea en route from the UK – and my daughter came home from school and said she needed to make a Valentines box & gifts for all her class – it’s amazing what you can do with a quick trip to the craft store and some imagination!

5. Joan@anythinggoeshere commented
    November 3rd, 2009 at 1:19pm

Love the wreath. Very unexpected colors. I may have to try this, too!!!

6. monica burnett commented
    November 3rd, 2009 at 1:23pm

wow, you made this!? its adorable! i love the color combo and the touches of lace.
    now i want to make one of my own!

.-= monica burnett´s last blog ..what i wore today =-.

7. Fog and Thistle commented
    November 3rd, 2009 at 1:26pm

I love this project. Totally going to do this.
    .-= Fog and Thistle´s last blog ..Loves Me, Loves Me Not =-.

8. Sue commented
    November 3rd, 2009 at 1:34pm

Oh I love it! I’m off right now to search my stash for pretty coloured yarn. Wish me luck!
    .-= Sue´s last blog ..Black Daisy Notecards =-.

9. B commented
    November 3rd, 2009 at 1:35pm

I love this idea. When it’s time to decorate for the holidays (always post-Thanksgiving for me), this will free me from red and green!
    .-= B´s last blog ..Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego? =-.

10. Jessica commented
    November 3rd, 2009 at 1:53pm

Though your wreath is lovely, I’m more curious about the delicately perforated item (lamp? vase? votive?) sitting next to the wreath in the first photo. Can you give me some more information on that piece?

11. decor8 commented
    November 3rd, 2009 at 1:56pm

Monica – Yup, sure did from the foam up. :) Thank you. :)

12. decor8 commented
    November 3rd, 2009 at 1:58pm

Thank you Sarah — Yes I love grey and white, and the purple was a nice accent color and very “jewel” like, which is hot this season for decorating so it will match the things in my home. No disconnect between the front door and my living room. I like colors to flow. :)

13. sly_fox commented
    November 3rd, 2009 at 2:15pm

little details can have big impact … the custom-painted mushrooms are precious !

14. cristin @ simplified bee commented
    November 3rd, 2009 at 2:26pm

It is so sweet with the bird nest!

xo,
    cristin
    .-= cristin @ simplified bee´s last blog ..Thanksgiving Table Setting and Decoration Ideas =-.

15. juliette commented
    November 3rd, 2009 at 2:35pm

have you seen these over at Knock Knocking? Totally cute – same idea. She has an Etsy shop full of them for those not wanting to try one on their own.

can’t imagine NOT wanting to try this yourself, though! So sweet and affordable! I’ve been wanting to do one for a while myself but have had trouble finding a foam wreath.
    .-= juliette´s last blog ..Free Printable: 2010 Calendar =-.

16. paola commented
    November 3rd, 2009 at 2:37pm

You SO need to take up knitting…then you can play with gorgeous yarn all day..
    .-= paola´s last blog ..Back with a BANG on the cover of Ideal Home! =-.

17. decor8 commented
    November 3rd, 2009 at 2:42pm

Juliette – Go to Idee – do you have one near you? They have tons of them now, they get them in for the holiday season in several sizes.

18. katie runnels commented
    November 3rd, 2009 at 2:49pm

Wow! Thanks, Holly! I love how Mod yours turned out! Thank you for the kind mention! I was so surprised! xoxo

19. juliette commented
    November 3rd, 2009 at 2:49pm

My closest Idee is an hour away = ( I tried Obi’s craft section last week to no avail (but they do have straw ones, so I’m all set for this year’s Advent kranz!). I have 2 little random shops left to try. Otherwise, this will be on my list of fun projects to do when I’m State-side hanging with fam over the holidays. Us girls have lots of hang time planned and this would be fun to do together!
    .-= juliette´s last blog ..Free Printable: 2010 Calendar =-.

20. Sarah E commented
    November 3rd, 2009 at 4:45pm

I’m ALWAYS looking for ways to use up stash yarn that I never want to use for crochet projects. This is perfect. Thanks!
    .-= Sarah E´s last blog ..Flights of fancy =-.

21. Making it Lovely commented
    November 3rd, 2009 at 5:34pm

So cute, Holly! I love the extra little details, like the rickrack and the different ribbons. :)
    .-= Making it Lovely´s last blog ..Katamari Baby Costume =-.

22. Lynn commented
    November 3rd, 2009 at 5:39pm

Oh, I love how bright and cheery your wreath is! And I never thought about painting those mushrooms to be a different color… Brilliant! I was inspired by Katie’s lovely wreaths too and took a stab at making a trio of them last Fall in various sizes to group together and I still love them!

23. decor8 commented
    November 3rd, 2009 at 6:38pm

Jessica – The lamp is by Pol’s Potten in the Netherlands… I ordered it from Le Souk last year… I have the large porcelain lamp for 59,95 Euro or rougly $88 before shipping.

24. aimee commented
    November 3rd, 2009 at 8:15pm

I love yarn projects, my Mom used to make and give yarn wreaths every year. Sometimes wrapped like this and other times she would do a cable knit and somehow attach it to the foam ring and decorate with a bird and poinsettias or little tiny wrapped boxes and holly berry twigs. I loved those. You did a great job! I ordered a large evergreen wreath this year, I will get it around Thanksgiving and a can’t wait to decorate it!

Thanks for sharing!

~aimee
    .-= aimee´s last blog ..found :: nice package =-.

25. Stina commented
    November 4th, 2009 at 2:29am

I bet you will get lots of looks from your neighbors because little birds in nests are more of a spring/easter decoration here in Germany, hehe. They’ll be like, “Why does she still have her easter decoration up in November?” But the colors are lovely! Really pretty.
    .-= Stina´s last blog ..Samhain im Pampaland =-.

26. decor8 commented
    November 4th, 2009 at 4:22am

Stina – I don’t really care! LOL :) I’m American, everyone in my building knows that. But also, all the shops I’m going to right now have these birds with glitter and feathered tails so I think it’s fine. Plus I’m in a diverse city, it’s not that traditional here as in the smaller towns and country parts.

27. nichole commented
    November 4th, 2009 at 7:10am

Get out! How do you do it? I’m completely inspired to be crafty now. I LOVE it.

I am stepping away from the computer. Stepping away.
    .-= nichole´s last blog ..Blankets =-.

28. Sarah commented
    November 4th, 2009 at 7:57am

Holly that wreath is beautiful! I have always wondered how to make them and will check out the tutorial. I did a piece on my blog recently on wreaths, you might like to check it out…so many amazing wreaths from wonderful etsy artists.
    .-= Sarah´s last blog ..DESIGN THERAPY: PlanToys =-.

29. Lisa commented
    November 4th, 2009 at 1:23pm

Wow, the wreath turned out great! I love the colors you used, it really looks modern & fresh. I bought a wreath form & yarn last year to do this and never got around to it. You’ve just inspired me to return to that project…although now I think I want to change my color scheme:)
    .-= Lisa´s last blog ..Who knew? =-.

30. tasha roe commented
    November 9th, 2009 at 10:57am

its so beautiful!! thanks for the link to the tutorial. i have been wanting to make these for my 12 Days Christmas swap! so much fun!!
    .-= tasha roe´s last blog ..happy holidays… =-.

31. mandie segura commented
    November 12th, 2009 at 2:21pm

Oooh. I LOVE it! I’m going to try something similar for my NEW frint door, hopefully! :) Thanks for sharing yours, Holly!

32. andria commented
    November 16th, 2009 at 2:32pm

Holly, your wreath really inspired me! I made a Bird Wreath using Fisherman’s Wool and a straw wreath form — go here for details: http://sewingschool.blogspot.com/2009/11/bird-wreath.html

33. decor8 commented
    November 16th, 2009 at 3:52pm

Andria — Oh this warms my heart, and I just looked at yours — great job. I love the bird that you made too. That was a really creative twist that I like very much. :) :) :)

34. caroline commented
    December 7th, 2009 at 6:44pm

very darling!

i love the colors you chose.
    i also made a yard wreath inspired by katie runnels last year for christmas!
    it was fun, but a lot of work… but, also worth it. i love how they turn out!

here’s the one i made:
    .-= caroline´s last blog ..decorations… =-.