Color Inspiration

Neutrals, Greens, Amber, Lavender and Chartreuse

November 9, 2009

Hello friends! It’s me, Leslie with Color Me Pretty and this time I wanted to work with a softer palette filled with neutrals, leaf greens, amber, lavender and a little chartreuse. My experiment was to use these colors while trying to find my inner “botanist” because little touches of science seems to be a popular trend in home decor that I just can’t get enough of… I hope you like my translation of this today!

Neutrals, Greens, Amber, Lavender and Chartreuse

Decorating Tips: You can bring this decorating “scientist” look into your house really simply with lovely glass lab bottles filled with samples from a walk in the park or around your yard. I also love the look of amber glass for a similar effect. Instead of recycling my glass vitamin bottles I save them as little flower vases to hold smaller “specimens”. If you are not into vitamins you can also purchase amber glass bottles really inexpensively at bottle supply companies and they come in all sorts of fun sizes.

Neutrals, Greens, Amber, Lavender and Chartreuse

Old botanical drawings of plants and antique looking fonts can also be easily found and used to compliment this look. If you are making your own projects, it helps if you create a little series and use date stamps -think science project observations! I walked around my garden and painted a few samples of what was growing last week, but photographs or collages could have been good too. If you put a little label and date on each piece you start to create a “study” kind of look that can be displayed together.

Neutrals, Greens, Amber, Lavender and Chartreuse

Neutrals, Greens, Amber, Lavender and Chartreuse

DIY Idea: I wanted to create a quick clothesline effect to hang watercolor renderings I did of what is growing right now in my little garden. However, I could not decide where I wanted to drill the holes into my walls! Instead I made a clothesline canvas that can be propped up anywhere and made in a jiffy. I used natural twine, mini wooden clothes pins, a canvas board (from an art supply store) and some heavy duty tape. As long as you do not hang anything too heavy, the mini twine clothes lines reinforced with duct tape on the back of the canvas can hold your inspiring little pieces. If you want to do something a little stronger you can use a prepared canvas that is wrapped around a wooden frame (ones made up for oil paintings) and use hanging screws and wires to create the clothes lines. Attach the hanging screws to the sides of the canvas, screwing them into the wood and use the wire as you hanging line. Either way you have an easy moveable display for your bits of inspiration. – xo Leslie.

Do you have any ideas that you’d like to share on how to bring a little decorating science into your home? Please share in the comments section!

(images: leslie shewring)

You Might Also Like

• Reply Heather November 9, 2009 at 9:19 am

These are beautiful, and I love the color combo you used. I know it’s pretty elementary, but I always liked taking fall leaves and ironing them between a sheet of wax paper. Now that I’m not in kindergarten anymore(!), I could probably take the project a step further!
    .-= Heather´s last blog ..Brunch is for Wimps =-.

• Reply Melissa de la Fuente November 9, 2009 at 9:23 am

*sigh* Okay…the first thing that happens to me, when I see one of Leslie’s posts, is I think ” AH! I adore this palette! Now, how can I completely redo one of my rooms to work this stunning combination in? ” :) Last week I decided to turn or guest room into a turq and persimmon haven and now, I am thinking I have to work some of these beautiful shades of purple and lavender and amber in to my already moss green kitchen! Soon….I am going to run out of rooms! :) Leslie, I say this everytime….but, you are just amazing. This is gorgeous and inspired. Thank you! :)
    .-= Melissa de la Fuente´s last blog ..Monday: inspired by a golden photograph… =-.

• Reply Kat November 9, 2009 at 9:33 am

What a beautiful look, I like the lavender pictures and also how eveything works together- the twine and pegs tie in with the garden feel too. Thankyou leslie for another post of great colors and ideas kat

• Reply Bobbi November 9, 2009 at 9:44 am

The clothesline board idea just solved a problem for me! I’ve been trying to come up with an inspiration wall idea for my studio that didn’t involve a lot of holes in the wall and looked attractive. I think this is just the answer! Thanks so much:)

• Reply Susan Erickson November 9, 2009 at 9:56 am

With the dark days of winter upon us I was delighted to see such colour on your site this morning. It made me feel like spring…. I can almost hear the birdies!

• Reply Fresh Design Blog November 9, 2009 at 10:19 am

The colours you’ve chosen work so well together and are really fresh and bright (especially the lilac, green and white combination).

I love the instant and easy-to-move clothesline and the artwork looks great hung up on it. Your images are all really inspiring, thanks for sharing!
    .-= Fresh Design Blog´s last blog ..Jali Indian quilt from Berry Red =-.

• Reply Jeanee November 9, 2009 at 10:33 am

I love all of these images!
    .-= Jeanee´s last blog ..#12 Project Runway (PRW) =-.

• Reply B November 9, 2009 at 10:33 am

Leslie – Lovely collection as usual! I’ve taken to holding onto just about every type of glass container that comes through my kitchen — jelly jars, smaller jars that held tapenade, anything! They come in so handy for casual arrangements, or for bottling our simple homemade salad dressing. There’s nothing I like better than picking up a motley bouquet at Trader Joe’s and scattering small arrangements throughout the house.
    .-= B´s last blog ..Second to None: Up in the Air Somewhere =-.

• Reply Aesthetic Oiseau November 9, 2009 at 10:37 am

I LOVE this post…my post this morning was all about purple and how I plan to pair it with green in my dining room. This post has been most inspiring! Thanks :)

• Reply caro November 9, 2009 at 10:37 am

Hey Holly and Leslie. I love your decoration ideas and the colors are so beautiful … as always. One of my favorite autumn/winter decoration stuff are two deer antlers, which I painted white. I think it looks pretty cool. A pair of antlers is often easy (and free) to get from the forester, because deers are loosing their antlers every year. Greets from Koblenz, caro.
    .-= caro´s last blog ..iPhone Photography =-.

• Reply cara November 9, 2009 at 10:40 am

Really, as I was enjoying the lovelies you’ve shared, all I could think was, “Wow, this is such a lovely way to start my Monday morning + work week!” Thanks :)!
    .-= cara´s last blog ..Happy Monday! =-.

• Reply dianamakesdolls November 9, 2009 at 10:44 am

Hi Leslie. I’m a lurker but want to come out from the shadows to say hi. I wonder if you and Holly ever work on these color stories together? This really reminds me of Holly’s taste. Also the pharmacy glasses because she has them too. If not, I would like if you both did a post together sometime?? Maybe???

Diana (I make dolls in Australia)

• Reply camille November 9, 2009 at 10:58 am

So Beautiful.
    You have a beautiful blog !!!
    .-= camille´s last blog ..tableaux pour les p’tits bouts de choux =-.

• Reply Sophie @ Century Finds November 9, 2009 at 10:59 am

Purple is the only color I don’t have in my house right now (!) and I have been thinking hard about where I could incorporate a little lavender … well, after this beautiful display maybe I will go a little bolder.

We have a lot of bright green visible through the windows for most of the year so I am always on the lookout for color combinations to go with it. This post is so inspirational!
    .-= Sophie @ Century Finds´s last blog ..Doily Glasses Giveaway Alert! =-.

• Reply visualingual November 9, 2009 at 11:04 am

Gorgeous, as always! I have a super-simple idea to add, from my own home, where we used a set of antique prints of bird’s eggs [the study of eggs is called oology, what a great term!] floated in simple, inexpensive double-glass frames, and hung in a grid above our bed:

I think this presentation sort of turned the set into one larger work, and it was really simple and cheap!
    .-= visualingual´s last blog ..Ohio River Coasters in Blue =-.

• Reply Christine November 9, 2009 at 11:36 am

My heart is aching all over again for Spring..thanks for the beautiful shots (such a nice distraction to the cold weather and dying plants out in the yard)!
    .-= Christine´s last blog ..Fly me to the Moon.. =-.

• Reply Brandi November 9, 2009 at 11:39 am

I am so addicted to the science look — probably because of my physics background. I just love beakers and bottles and ways of organizing things. This post gives me so many good ideas I don’t know where to even start… Vintage lab equipment, definitely. Old bottles, yes please. Strings with cloths pins holding up notes and cards about plants — how perfect would that be in a greenhouse…
    .-= Brandi´s last blog ..Autumn by the Shore =-.

• Reply Chelsea November 9, 2009 at 11:54 am

Oh so lovely! Thanks for the inspiration! I will share this with my sister who’s re-doing her bedroom with a purple color pallette
    .-= Chelsea´s last blog ..Weekend Bliss =-.

• Reply deb November 9, 2009 at 12:21 pm

great color combos & inspiration photos, thanks for sharing!

• Reply Amie November 9, 2009 at 12:46 pm

Beautiful photos! I love the colors featured this week.

And I am going to try your DIY project for sure! Thanks!

• Reply Mrs. M November 9, 2009 at 1:16 pm

I am also a HUGE fan of this science trend in decor, and I think its perfectly complimented by this fabulous palette. I love finding vintage prints from nature guides/books and using them in collages or framing them– I *love* the display that VisualLingual linked up there!!

great work as always, Leslie!
    .-= Mrs. M´s last blog ..south shore represent =-.

• Reply Caitlin November 9, 2009 at 1:24 pm

So great!! I am crazy about the vintage postcards and the mini clothesline! And I love the vitamin bottle idea- I have an amber one sitting around and I had no idea what to do with it until now! Such beautiful and unique ideas, as always!
    .-= Caitlin´s last blog ..Trench coat + metallics =-.

• Reply Diane November 9, 2009 at 1:56 pm

Once again, such an amazing post Leslie! I love this soft palette and your clothesline is beautiful. The little jars with fresh sprigs are a great idea. This post is so inspiring and it brings some sunshine to this very dreary, rainy day in Canada!

• Reply Andee November 9, 2009 at 2:32 pm

I have two blank canvases that I was going to cover with fabric, and then changed my mind. Now I know exactly what to do with them. Thanks!!

• Reply Nikki November 9, 2009 at 2:38 pm

Everything is so lovely as is always the case with Color Me Pretty! The lavenders and the greens are so fresh and bright…definitely inspiring!
    .-= Nikki´s last blog ..Placecard of the Week: Studs and Stripes =-.

• Reply Brancoprata November 9, 2009 at 2:56 pm

As always beautiful inspiration. The colors used, all the decor…perfectly balanced! It´s always such a joy to see your work. Thank you!
    .-= Brancoprata´s last blog ..C is for charming on Style Circle =-.

• Reply Cyd November 9, 2009 at 3:54 pm

Wow. This might be my favorite feature from Leslie so far. I love the colors and the great use of texture!
    .-= Cyd´s last blog ..Sweet Treats from Whimsy & Spice =-.

• Reply jamieofalltrades November 9, 2009 at 4:01 pm

Gorgeous! I love the purple and green together.
    .-= jamieofalltrades´s last blog chilies quiche =-.

• Reply melissa deakin November 9, 2009 at 4:09 pm

just amazing once again, miss leslie.
    love the color pallette and the hint of botany.
    i just ordered some ‘science’ bottles from anthropologie.
    you are such an inspiration.
    i just love ‘color me pretty’ days!
    thinking of you and hoping all is well!
    .-= melissa deakin´s last blog ..Thursday’s thought… =-.

• Reply Travelingmama November 9, 2009 at 6:08 pm

Sigh is right! Leslie, your photos make me want to grab a hot cup of tea and stay a very long time. How do you do it?? You capture light and oftentimes everyday objects in such a captivating way. As you might imagine, I don’t see much science here in Morocco, but I want to add beakers and bottles to my “must buy” list for our time in the US! Thank you so much for the lovely inspiration!
    .-= Travelingmama´s last blog ..filled with {joy} =-.

• Reply Claire - Matching Pegs November 9, 2009 at 6:28 pm

These are my favorite posts – I so love this colour combination.
    Dreamy lavender, with linen is a combination I have always loved, and greens are right through my whole house.

I too have been toying with painting a wall lavender – wonder if my Mr. will agree?
    .-= Claire – Matching Pegs´s last blog ..Jaunty Red Shoes =-.

• Reply crt November 9, 2009 at 6:43 pm

AHHHH!!!! Such inspiration for my new design “project”! I love all of this. A beautiful way to bring nature in doors…

• Reply Deja November 9, 2009 at 7:32 pm

Lovely ideas in this post! Thank you!
    .-= Deja´s last blog ..Global Color Infusion. Madras Morning =-.

• Reply Isabelle November 10, 2009 at 3:38 am

I am good at the practical stuff – but when it comes to creative thinking and ideas I am a bit of a creativeless nerk!

So – posts like this are just fab, not that I ‘copy’ slavishly, but they are an amazing starting point.

humble thanks!

• Reply blair November 10, 2009 at 11:07 am

Oh wow! How absolutely lovely. Wonderful inspiration. I am definitley now craving some amber medicine bottles.

• Reply Heather- Gathering Spriggs November 10, 2009 at 12:43 pm

I love botanical prints. they have always been my favorite thing to collect. little detailed sketches of flowers from yesteryear! they remind me of times when small things were treasured like a cluster from the garden. you my dear leslie seem to have a knack for unearthing these bygone pleasures. you are detailed, precise yet wild with imagination. and your work is always displayed on a white backdrop which keeps it modern and fresh. I am continuously inspired by the way you work with such care and consideration.
    .-= Heather- Gathering Spriggs´s last blog ..Holiday Card Round Up, Part II (Handmade) =-.

• Reply Joana November 13, 2009 at 5:31 am

VERY VERY VERY COOL!!!!! kisses
    .-= Joana ´s last blog ..Vivaaa os retalhos! =-.

• Reply Penny Patten November 16, 2009 at 6:45 pm

Lovely color combinations. I so need more time, I have so much decorating that I want to do.
    .-= Penny Patten´s last blog ..Nature’s Beauty =-.

• Reply lucilla pessoa de queiroz December 8, 2009 at 7:44 pm

I found your blog by chance looking for flowers images or nature or.or.or . In your blog – found everything in one !! Thank you ! It is feminin,happy, sutil,light, beautifull !!!

• Reply João May 13, 2011 at 2:30 pm

A nice mistue of colors, plants and good taste