Color Me Pretty

Hello friends! It’s me, Leslie with Color Me Pretty and this time I wanted to work with a softer palette filled with neutrals, leaf greens, amber, lavender and a little chartreuse. My experiment was to use these colors while trying to find my inner “botanist” because little touches of science seems to be a popular trend in home decor that I just can’t get enough of… I hope you like my translation of this today!

Color Me Pretty

Decorating Tips: You can bring this decorating “scientist” look into your house really simply with lovely glass lab bottles filled with samples from a walk in the park or around your yard. I also love the look of amber glass for a similar effect. Instead of recycling my glass vitamin bottles I save them as little flower vases to hold smaller “specimens”. If you are not into vitamins you can also purchase amber glass bottles really inexpensively at bottle supply companies and they come in all sorts of fun sizes.

Color Me Pretty

Old botanical drawings of plants and antique looking fonts can also be easily found and used to compliment this look. If you are making your own projects, it helps if you create a little series and use date stamps -think science project observations! I walked around my garden and painted a few samples of what was growing last week, but photographs or collages could have been good too. If you put a little label and date on each piece you start to create a “study” kind of look that can be displayed together.

Color Me Pretty

Color Me Pretty

DIY Idea: I wanted to create a quick clothesline effect to hang watercolor renderings I did of what is growing right now in my little garden. However, I could not decide where I wanted to drill the holes into my walls! Instead I made a clothesline canvas that can be propped up anywhere and made in a jiffy. I used natural twine, mini wooden clothes pins, a canvas board (from an art supply store) and some heavy duty tape. As long as you do not hang anything too heavy, the mini twine clothes lines reinforced with duct tape on the back of the canvas can hold your inspiring little pieces. If you want to do something a little stronger you can use a prepared canvas that is wrapped around a wooden frame (ones made up for oil paintings) and use hanging screws and wires to create the clothes lines. Attach the hanging screws to the sides of the canvas, screwing them into the wood and use the wire as you hanging line. Either way you have an easy moveable display for your bits of inspiration. – xo Leslie.

Do you have any ideas that you’d like to share on how to bring a little decorating science into your home? Please share in the comments section!

(images: leslie shewring)

Posted by decor8 in Color Inspiration, Color Me Pretty, diy on November 09, 2009

1. Heather commented
    November 9th, 2009 at 9:19am

These are beautiful, and I love the color combo you used. I know it’s pretty elementary, but I always liked taking fall leaves and ironing them between a sheet of wax paper. Now that I’m not in kindergarten anymore(!), I could probably take the project a step further!
    .-= Heather´s last blog ..Brunch is for Wimps =-.

2. Melissa de la Fuente commented
    November 9th, 2009 at 9:23am

*sigh* Okay…the first thing that happens to me, when I see one of Leslie’s posts, is I think ” AH! I adore this palette! Now, how can I completely redo one of my rooms to work this stunning combination in? ” :) Last week I decided to turn or guest room into a turq and persimmon haven and now, I am thinking I have to work some of these beautiful shades of purple and lavender and amber in to my already moss green kitchen! Soon….I am going to run out of rooms! :) Leslie, I say this everytime….but, you are just amazing. This is gorgeous and inspired. Thank you! :)
    xo
    Melis
    .-= Melissa de la Fuente´s last blog ..Monday: inspired by a golden photograph… =-.

3. Kat commented
    November 9th, 2009 at 9:33am

What a beautiful look, I like the lavender pictures and also how eveything works together- the twine and pegs tie in with the garden feel too. Thankyou leslie for another post of great colors and ideas kat

4. Bobbi commented
    November 9th, 2009 at 9:44am

The clothesline board idea just solved a problem for me! I’ve been trying to come up with an inspiration wall idea for my studio that didn’t involve a lot of holes in the wall and looked attractive. I think this is just the answer! Thanks so much:)

5. Susan Erickson commented
    November 9th, 2009 at 9:56am

With the dark days of winter upon us I was delighted to see such colour on your site this morning. It made me feel like spring…. I can almost hear the birdies!

6. Fresh Design Blog commented
    November 9th, 2009 at 10:19am

The colours you’ve chosen work so well together and are really fresh and bright (especially the lilac, green and white combination).

I love the instant and easy-to-move clothesline and the artwork looks great hung up on it. Your images are all really inspiring, thanks for sharing!
    .-= Fresh Design Blog´s last blog ..Jali Indian quilt from Berry Red =-.

7. Jeanee commented
    November 9th, 2009 at 10:33am

I love all of these images!
    .-= Jeanee´s last blog ..#12 Project Runway (PRW) =-.

8. B commented
    November 9th, 2009 at 10:33am

Leslie – Lovely collection as usual! I’ve taken to holding onto just about every type of glass container that comes through my kitchen — jelly jars, smaller jars that held tapenade, anything! They come in so handy for casual arrangements, or for bottling our simple homemade salad dressing. There’s nothing I like better than picking up a motley bouquet at Trader Joe’s and scattering small arrangements throughout the house.
    .-= B´s last blog ..Second to None: Up in the Air Somewhere =-.

9. Aesthetic Oiseau commented
    November 9th, 2009 at 10:37am

I LOVE this post…my post this morning was all about purple and how I plan to pair it with green in my dining room. This post has been most inspiring! Thanks :)

10. caro commented
    November 9th, 2009 at 10:37am

Hey Holly and Leslie. I love your decoration ideas and the colors are so beautiful … as always. One of my favorite autumn/winter decoration stuff are two deer antlers, which I painted white. I think it looks pretty cool. A pair of antlers is often easy (and free) to get from the forester, because deers are loosing their antlers every year. Greets from Koblenz, caro.
    .-= caro´s last blog ..iPhone Photography =-.

11. cara commented
    November 9th, 2009 at 10:40am

Really, as I was enjoying the lovelies you’ve shared, all I could think was, “Wow, this is such a lovely way to start my Monday morning + work week!” Thanks :)!
    .-= cara´s last blog ..Happy Monday! =-.

12. dianamakesdolls commented
    November 9th, 2009 at 10:44am

Hi Leslie. I’m a lurker but want to come out from the shadows to say hi. I wonder if you and Holly ever work on these color stories together? This really reminds me of Holly’s taste. Also the pharmacy glasses because she has them too. If not, I would like if you both did a post together sometime?? Maybe???

Diana (I make dolls in Australia)

13. camille commented
    November 9th, 2009 at 10:58am

So Beautiful.
    You have a beautiful blog !!!
    .-= camille´s last blog ..tableaux pour les p’tits bouts de choux =-.

14. Sophie @ Century Finds commented
    November 9th, 2009 at 10:59am

Purple is the only color I don’t have in my house right now (!) and I have been thinking hard about where I could incorporate a little lavender … well, after this beautiful display maybe I will go a little bolder.

We have a lot of bright green visible through the windows for most of the year so I am always on the lookout for color combinations to go with it. This post is so inspirational!
    .-= Sophie @ Century Finds´s last blog ..Doily Glasses Giveaway Alert! =-.

15. visualingual commented
    November 9th, 2009 at 11:04am

Gorgeous, as always! I have a super-simple idea to add, from my own home, where we used a set of antique prints of bird’s eggs [the study of eggs is called oology, what a great term!] floated in simple, inexpensive double-glass frames, and hung in a grid above our bed:

I think this presentation sort of turned the set into one larger work, and it was really simple and cheap!
    .-= visualingual´s last blog ..Ohio River Coasters in Blue =-.

16. Christine commented
    November 9th, 2009 at 11:36am

My heart is aching all over again for Spring..thanks for the beautiful shots (such a nice distraction to the cold weather and dying plants out in the yard)!
    .-= Christine´s last blog ..Fly me to the Moon.. =-.

17. Brandi commented
    November 9th, 2009 at 11:39am

I am so addicted to the science look — probably because of my physics background. I just love beakers and bottles and ways of organizing things. This post gives me so many good ideas I don’t know where to even start… Vintage lab equipment, definitely. Old bottles, yes please. Strings with cloths pins holding up notes and cards about plants — how perfect would that be in a greenhouse…
    .-= Brandi´s last blog ..Autumn by the Shore =-.

18. Chelsea commented
    November 9th, 2009 at 11:54am

Oh so lovely! Thanks for the inspiration! I will share this with my sister who’s re-doing her bedroom with a purple color pallette
    .-= Chelsea´s last blog ..Weekend Bliss =-.

19. deb commented
    November 9th, 2009 at 12:21pm

great color combos & inspiration photos, thanks for sharing!

20. Amie commented
    November 9th, 2009 at 12:46pm

Beautiful photos! I love the colors featured this week.

And I am going to try your DIY project for sure! Thanks!

21. Mrs. M commented
    November 9th, 2009 at 1:16pm

I am also a HUGE fan of this science trend in decor, and I think its perfectly complimented by this fabulous palette. I love finding vintage prints from nature guides/books and using them in collages or framing them– I *love* the display that VisualLingual linked up there!!

great work as always, Leslie!
    .-= Mrs. M´s last blog ..south shore represent =-.

22. Caitlin commented
    November 9th, 2009 at 1:24pm

So great!! I am crazy about the vintage postcards and the mini clothesline! And I love the vitamin bottle idea- I have an amber one sitting around and I had no idea what to do with it until now! Such beautiful and unique ideas, as always!
    .-= Caitlin´s last blog ..Trench coat + metallics =-.

23. Diane commented
    November 9th, 2009 at 1:56pm

Once again, such an amazing post Leslie! I love this soft palette and your clothesline is beautiful. The little jars with fresh sprigs are a great idea. This post is so inspiring and it brings some sunshine to this very dreary, rainy day in Canada!

24. Andee commented
    November 9th, 2009 at 2:32pm

I have two blank canvases that I was going to cover with fabric, and then changed my mind. Now I know exactly what to do with them. Thanks!!

25. Nikki commented
    November 9th, 2009 at 2:38pm

Everything is so lovely as is always the case with Color Me Pretty! The lavenders and the greens are so fresh and bright…definitely inspiring!
    .-= Nikki´s last blog ..Placecard of the Week: Studs and Stripes =-.

26. Brancoprata commented
    November 9th, 2009 at 2:56pm

As always beautiful inspiration. The colors used, all the decor…perfectly balanced! It´s always such a joy to see your work. Thank you!
    .-= Brancoprata´s last blog ..C is for charming on Style Circle =-.

27. Cyd commented
    November 9th, 2009 at 3:54pm

Wow. This might be my favorite feature from Leslie so far. I love the colors and the great use of texture!
    .-= Cyd´s last blog ..Sweet Treats from Whimsy & Spice =-.

28. jamieofalltrades commented
    November 9th, 2009 at 4:01pm

Gorgeous! I love the purple and green together.
    .-= jamieofalltrades´s last blog ..green chilies quiche =-.

29. melissa deakin commented
    November 9th, 2009 at 4:09pm

just amazing once again, miss leslie.
    love the color pallette and the hint of botany.
    i just ordered some ‘science’ bottles from anthropologie.
    you are such an inspiration.
    i just love ‘color me pretty’ days!
    thinking of you and hoping all is well!
    .-= melissa deakin´s last blog ..Thursday’s thought… =-.

30. Travelingmama commented
    November 9th, 2009 at 6:08pm

Sigh is right! Leslie, your photos make me want to grab a hot cup of tea and stay a very long time. How do you do it?? You capture light and oftentimes everyday objects in such a captivating way. As you might imagine, I don’t see much science here in Morocco, but I want to add beakers and bottles to my “must buy” list for our time in the US! Thank you so much for the lovely inspiration!
    .-= Travelingmama´s last blog ..filled with {joy} =-.

31. Claire - Matching Pegs commented
    November 9th, 2009 at 6:28pm

These are my favorite posts – I so love this colour combination.
    Dreamy lavender, with linen is a combination I have always loved, and greens are right through my whole house.

I too have been toying with painting a wall lavender – wonder if my Mr. will agree?
    .-= Claire – Matching Pegs´s last blog ..Jaunty Red Shoes =-.

32. crt commented
    November 9th, 2009 at 6:43pm

AHHHH!!!! Such inspiration for my new design “project”! I love all of this. A beautiful way to bring nature in doors…

33. Deja commented
    November 9th, 2009 at 7:32pm

Lovely ideas in this post! Thank you!
    .-= Deja´s last blog ..Global Color Infusion. Madras Morning =-.

34. Isabelle commented
    November 10th, 2009 at 3:38am

I am good at the practical stuff – but when it comes to creative thinking and ideas I am a bit of a creativeless nerk!

So – posts like this are just fab, not that I ‘copy’ slavishly, but they are an amazing starting point.

humble thanks!

35. blair commented
    November 10th, 2009 at 11:07am

Oh wow! How absolutely lovely. Wonderful inspiration. I am definitley now craving some amber medicine bottles.

36. Heather- Gathering Spriggs commented
    November 10th, 2009 at 12:43pm

I love botanical prints. they have always been my favorite thing to collect. little detailed sketches of flowers from yesteryear! they remind me of times when small things were treasured like a cluster from the garden. you my dear leslie seem to have a knack for unearthing these bygone pleasures. you are detailed, precise yet wild with imagination. and your work is always displayed on a white backdrop which keeps it modern and fresh. I am continuously inspired by the way you work with such care and consideration.
    .-= Heather- Gathering Spriggs´s last blog ..Holiday Card Round Up, Part II (Handmade) =-.

37. Joana commented
    November 13th, 2009 at 5:31am

VERY VERY VERY COOL!!!!! kisses
    .-= Joana ´s last blog ..Vivaaa os retalhos! =-.

38. Penny Patten commented
    November 16th, 2009 at 6:45pm

Lovely color combinations. I so need more time, I have so much decorating that I want to do.
    .-= Penny Patten´s last blog ..Nature’s Beauty =-.

39. lucilla pessoa de queiroz commented
    December 8th, 2009 at 7:44pm

I found your blog by chance looking for flowers images or nature or.or.or . In your blog – found everything in one !! Thank you ! It is feminin,happy, sutil,light, beautifull !!!

40. João commented
    May 13th, 2011 at 2:30pm

A nice mistue of colors, plants and good taste