Simply Photo Pop Up Shop

It was nice to hear from Jennifer Causey today, as I’ve followed her work since the beginning when she was just a wee budding New York based photographer and now she’s working for clients like Chronicle Books, Real Simple, Anthropologie and Time Out NY to list only a few. She just opened a pop up shop for the season to feature the work of some of her favorite photographers who do not sell their work elsewhere, Molly Wizenberg (New York), Brian Ferry (London, I recently wrote about him here), Shari Altman (Vermont), and Laina Briedis (New York), along with her own Simply Breakfast 2010 calendar.

Simply Photo Pop Up Shop

Looking back in my blog archives, I found this post back from the summer of 2006 where I praised her work. It was fun to go back and read that… And it made me realize that so many of us built our careers before an audience of people online and how supportive and wonderful this community really is. I mean, think of your favorite bloggers — especially the big ones. Did you know about them before they started their blog? Most likely not. And most likely, they were not even in their current profession back before their blog launched. It’s so interesting to follow one another around online and to witness this growth. This, to me, is why blogs will always be different from a magazine. In a magazine, you see ONLY the best work. The pruned, the stuffed, the polished… And a lovely flipside too but…

Simply Photo Pop Up Shop

Online it’s a different world. You see the not-so-polished become polished over the course of months, years even. You witness the birth of new names, watch their success grow, and then attend their book signings. Go back to some of your favorite blogs and find their very first post. Read a few posts from their first 6 months blogging. You will get a different version of the person you know today — maybe less secure, more vulnerable, a bit afraid even… I think this is a great reminder that we all start somewhere, usually at ground level, and build and build until we reach higher grounds. And then we build some more. On a macro level, it’s why we love Oprah and others in the spotlight who grew due to their supportive fan base. And on a micro level, it is why we love some of our favorite bloggers who are moving on to explore other avenues or who, like Jennifer, are opening up pop shops to support her friends — photographers that she believes in. Jennifer is such a rock star.

It’s exciting and motivating to consider all of this, don’t you think? And I think it is inspiring to new bloggers and those just entering creative fields for the first time to focus on this fact: Everyone had a first moment in this community so if you feel scared or unsure please don’t. If you’ve ever looked at someone else and their success and thought, “Why Bother?” then I encourage you — yes, bother! Muster up the courage and do your thing. Go for it. We all deserve a place and for those who jump in a go for it, you’ll find it. Don’t worry. :)

(images: simply photo)

Posted by decor8 in shopping on November 12, 2009

1. Shanon commented
    November 12th, 2009 at 9:07am

This is a wonderful reminder of a post. Thanks Holly!
    .-= Shanon´s last blog ..Where will you be Thursday night? =-.

2. hues commented
    November 12th, 2009 at 9:47am

that’s so true, i’ve never really thought about it this way. thanks for this article… it’s given some courage to keep on writing, even if it’s just for myself!

3. Lisa commented
    November 12th, 2009 at 9:51am

thank you for these words! exactly what i needed to hear as i start out in blogland.

4. michelle commented
    November 12th, 2009 at 10:08am

Holly, you are always so successful and giving me a swift kick in the ass (otherwise known as the motivation I need) at just the right moment. Thanks so much for these wonderful words.

5. Coquette & Dove commented
    November 12th, 2009 at 10:09am

Thank you, thank you, thank you. Such an inspiring post, and a timely reminder! It’s so easy to feel overwhelmed by the blogosphere and lose your voice. I’m still trying to decide exactly what it is I am doing here, but it’s posts like this that help! x

6. Susannah commented
    November 12th, 2009 at 10:13am

brilliant post!

7. Micaela commented
    November 12th, 2009 at 10:16am

What a great post! So true, within the blogosphere we do grow so much! Looking back at my old blog posts, I was thinking of deleting them as they were kind of embarrassing compared to the quality of mine now! But, I decided not to, I guess it’s sort of a part of me and deleting the posts would be like burning a diary.

xo Micaela

8. frauheuberg commented
    November 12th, 2009 at 10:21am

hej holly,
    yes its right…at the beginning of our blog i made so many thoughts…and now i just let it flow…and its so much fun…you should just believe in yourself and what you want to do…then it can happen…
    thanks so much…because you were one who inspired me to begin to blog…;)…and you give everybody the feeling that he is on the right way…thanks a lot, holly…for be there…;)…

9. Chelsea commented
    November 12th, 2009 at 10:21am

Great photos! I think its awesome that Jennifer went from little time to big time…and who wouldnt want to shoot the pictures for Anthro?? What great inspiration!

10. Melissa de la Fuente commented
    November 12th, 2009 at 10:25am

Oh, Holly….you are so dear and sweet. What a kind, supportive and lovely post. So encouraging to everyone out there and such a ray of sunshine. What a lovely project for Jennifer to begin and so happy for her success.
    xo
    Melis
    .-= Melissa de la Fuente´s last blog ..The little things: a leaf + Heather Smith Jones… =-.

11. Fruit Maven commented
    November 12th, 2009 at 10:25am

Wow. I can’t tell you how much I needed to hear this. I was literally just having the “why bother” conversation with my husband last night. Being our creative selves can feel so dangerous. Thank you.
    .-= Fruit Maven´s last blog ..Arkansas Black Apple =-.

12. honey living commented
    November 12th, 2009 at 10:27am

great post holly, and all so true. i started my blog about six months ago and i am so in love with blogging and the blogging community for all the reasons you said. and i have definitely had some intimidating thoughts of how MANY writers are out there, and how MANY blogs there are, and how it can seem like you’ll just blend in.

but the bottom line is, it makes me love each day of my life more to write my blog and take my pictures and believe in the possibilities of a future, so that’s reason enough for me.

thanks again for your wise words.
    .-= honey living´s last blog ..keep it green =-.

13. Georgianna Lane commented
    November 12th, 2009 at 10:28am

Brilliant post, Holly! And so true. It is very exciting and motivating to consider the potential in the blogging community for individuals to expand creatively, especially into fields they may not have entered. We all benefit from the inspiration, support, the beautiful products and the joy of meeting kindreds souls around the world. You are so spot on in your perceptions of this – thank you for sharing them! xo
    .-= Georgianna Lane´s last blog ..A Surprise Award! =-.

14. Tricia McKellar commented
    November 12th, 2009 at 10:29am

Holly, thank you! :) It’s so easy to get discouraged when you’re starting out or already on the path… I’ve heard some folks say they made their biggest achievements after their biggest disappointments… Thank you for the encouraging post! :)
    .-= Tricia McKellar´s last blog ..Niche Thyself: Variety vs. Consistency in Your Online Shop =-.

15. Rachel B. commented
    November 12th, 2009 at 10:33am

Thanks for sharing this Holly!
    .-= Rachel B.´s last blog ..Registration is open! and a price update… =-.

16. mjb commented
    November 12th, 2009 at 10:37am

Thanks for these words! I analyze whether or not I should be blogging so often and go back and forth about it, but I think it’s best if I just sit down and do it a couple times a week, and eventually it’ll be more and more.
    .-= mjb´s last blog ..A little ebay experiment =-.

17. Wayfaring Wanderer commented
    November 12th, 2009 at 10:38am

What a terrific reminder! I think that sometimes it’s easy to forget how far you’ve come without delving into the past.

I cringe when I look at my posts from 2006, but it has shown me that I am growing as an artist.

18. Michele commented
    November 12th, 2009 at 10:45am

Holly, you have such a wonderful outlook on life and are such an inspiration. Thank you for doing what you do.

19. Sophie @ Century Finds commented
    November 12th, 2009 at 10:49am

What lovely sentiments.
    My husband likes to say “there is always someone better than you”. By this he means that even those who have “made it” can always find someone who has somehow achieved more. So right from the start we should have an attitude to use other people as an inspiration rather than be intimidated into giving up…
    Like you said, everybody had to start somewhere :-)
    .-= Sophie @ Century Finds´s last blog ..Doily Glasses Giveaway Alert! =-.

20. juliette commented
    November 12th, 2009 at 11:17am

so true – we have to TRY at least! Just this afternoon my mom was remembering all the seemingly random jobs I’ve had – and yet, how each one has somehow added to my life and usually to the next job. You never know until you try!
    .-= juliette´s last blog ..Twisting and turning: yarn and thread =-.

21. thedoodlegirl commented
    November 12th, 2009 at 11:25am

So inspiring! I love this supportive online community! Beautiful, beautiful pictures.
    .-= thedoodlegirl´s last blog ..Illustration Friday: Blur =-.

22. Andrea commented
    November 12th, 2009 at 11:46am

This was exactly what I needed to hear this morning. I just re-started my blog this past couple of weeks and was beginning to feel discouraged for a plethora of reasons. This reminds me to keep working away at it. Things take time to grow and mature. Thank you!
    .-= Andrea´s last blog ..journals =-.

23. Jen commented
    November 12th, 2009 at 11:59am

Such great photos!
    .-= Jen´s last blog ..Erkan Barin =-.

24. cara commented
    November 12th, 2009 at 12:08pm

words i benefited from today. great thoughts. thanks for the pep talk!

i’m going to go ahead and make list of steps to open an etsy shop. (:

25. BF commented
    November 12th, 2009 at 1:26pm

your thoughts about blogging as a process are spot-on. i completely agree — thank you!

26. MichelleP commented
    November 12th, 2009 at 2:26pm

How I love a good success story! It reminds me that there’s room for one more:)
    .-= MichelleP´s last blog ..Free Bokeh Madness =-.

27. kitty commented
    November 12th, 2009 at 2:33pm

such an inspirational post, holly! thank you…

28. fresh365 commented
    November 12th, 2009 at 2:51pm

Great post, Holly. Jennifer’s work is wonderful and thank you for the reminder to keep up with your own work. Sometimes it is hard to go forward thinking you’ve been lost in the shuffle, but blogging is an amazing way to journal your own experiences if nothing else.

29. Morgan commented
    November 12th, 2009 at 3:25pm

It’s funny that you mention reading early early work of your favorite bloggers… I did just that a few weeks ago and was so inspired by the slightly awkward, slightly messy postings of some of my favorite bloggers because they have made a BEAUTIFUL transformation to their now polished style.

While many of us are still finding our walking feet in this blogging world we take comfort in watching those that have gone before us GROW!

Thanks, Holly :)
    .-= Morgan´s last blog ..Thanksgiving Centerpieces For Every Style =-.

30. Lucia commented
    November 13th, 2009 at 5:23am

Thanks for your post!! It is so nice to hear that kind of positive message from someone doing so well. I´m starting my photography career now and there are many fears to tumble. Thanks again, made my day!

31. Wendy commented
    November 13th, 2009 at 11:01am

It is incredibly exciting and inspiring!! I’m just starting to blog and feel unsure about my writing, subject matter (or lack thereof!) etc, but I’m determined to continue and am convinced that eventually everything will fall into place if I keep practicing. Thanks for the great post!
    .-= Wendy´s last blog ..Even more (5) comments =-.

32. Jessica C. commented
    November 13th, 2009 at 8:33pm

This makes me inspired to keep up with my blog. I find it really hard to keep up with in between everything else going on. I’m going to try and post something before the weekend is over.
    .-= Jessica C.´s last blog ..Inspirations #002: A summer of inspiration =-.

33. rkg commented
    October 13th, 2010 at 9:41pm

Hello,
    Very inspiring to have read this……the world wide web can be so big and seem so scary………like sending one of my girls to the first day of school. We are just getting started with blogging,selling our designs on line and looking for international dealers. If I am being totally honest, it often feels very over whelming, although everyday it does feel like the right move. Stumbling upon this post was fantastic and eased the “first day of school jitters” for me. There are so many great blogs and designers out there. I am very grateful for the wealth of information and resources.