Etsy Take Five Tuesday

I was trying to figure out a theme for this weeks take five column but honestly nothing came to mind. Brick wall. So I just started clicking on images and saving them. Only after I opened the folder later did I see a definite theme surface –  in color choice. Funny how this happens, right? Which further leads me to believe that good things truly do come when not forced. Sometimes you simply can’t allow your mind to take the wheel. Just sit back, explore, expect nothing… and often this leads to the greatest things in life. Of course, planning is good and I’m not encouraging irresponsibility but when it comes to creative things I find that when I don’t try to force ideas, concepts, words, etc. I usually have greater success and see a more authentic vision. Do you find this to? More on that after these Etsy finds so stay with me…. this week I’m featuring 5 sellers + a bonus find!

Etsy Take Five Tuesday + bonus

First up we have the charming illustrations of artist Ana Raimundo of Fric de Mentol in sunny Portugal.

Etsy Take Five Tuesday + bonus

Next, brilliant finger puppets from London-based paper artist Flor Panichelli of Pelpa, which means “paper” in Lunfardo, the slang of Buenos Aires. I adore these and can easily see someone become a collector.

Etsy Take Five Tuesday

Now let us consider some darling paper garlands, perfect for wrapping around a present or displaying on a wall. These are handmade from found papers by linea in Hartford, CT.

Etsy Take Five Tuesday + bonus

Ready for a 4th? Sure you are. What about these lovely and folksy papier mache decorative objects from North Carolina-based talent Middleburg Folk Art Studio?

Etsy Take Five Tuesday + bonus

And almost last on today’s list is Jenny N. Design from Austin, Texas who creates the most gorgeous handbags and manbags, love these and the man candy model isn’t all that bad either. :) LOL.

Etsy Take Five Tuesday + bonus

And here is the a bonus 6th seller, Amy Blackwell who I’ve featured before but she has some terrific new prints that may make you swoon. Yay to foxes and cats and ships a sailing!

Okay so back to my earlier words about letting go and allowing creativity to flow. I once had a close family member suffer and struggle with alcoholism. I would attend AA meetings to help me to make sense of it all, I didn’t know how to handle someone else’s battle but with alcoholism you have to learn because their disease becomes your battle too. I remember, “Let Go and Let God” very, very clearly because the group leader said this weekly with such conviction and everyone would nod and usually offer up some experience to serve as confirmation of that statement.

Some in the group were agnostic, others atheists, and still others from both eastern and western religions so the idea of what “God” meant was different to each individual. But the point was clear to me… to simply let go of what you cannot control. I don’t think that you can always control artistic expression and creativity, but in many examples I can think of in the workplace where you are constantly asked to do so. And it can be frustrating right? Pretend for a moment that you are a professional photographer hired by a vodka company to shoot a martini ad. You need to shoot the bottle against a graphite background and you must do so perfectly. Of course, your work is flawless since you are a pro, but it may be more vision than your own. Often your personal portfolio is much more dynamic and a true example of who you are as an artist. When clients are involved, you cannot always let go of the wheel, you must drive it until the project is complete and your client is happy. In your spare time you are out shooting weddings because wedding photographer gives you more creative freedom and this fuels your passion further for photography. If you had to shoot martini ads all day, you just may die of boredom. Balance is how a creative mind handles their business. There is an outlet to plug into where creative freedom is allowed, and this keeps the passion for photography fueled.

In some cases when a client is not involved and you are simply producing something for your customers or are given a writing assignment that allows you a lot of freedom, it’s a good idea to do what comes naturally, not forced, as down the road this will lead to work that is your own, enjoyable, and not driven by money or something that won’t motivate you long term.

I hope I’m making sense. I’m making sense in my own head but often trying to convey these thoughts through words is quite a challenge.

So! I was sitting in a cafe recently noticing the massive cafe culture here in Germany – people love to go out and eat + drink. Places are full nearly every night of the week. It’s common in my city. I told the person with whom I was dining that if anyone wanted to make a ton of money in Hannover and become quite successful here, they should open a cafe, a fabulous restaurant, a cupcake bakery, a really hip lounge… this city loves to eat! And so I thought that coming from a family of small business owners (my parents once owned two restaurants), that perhaps I should be the one to open a cupcake bakery or some type of amazingly unusual eatery here. It’s a city with many international guests who come for the large trade shows held monthly, so there is no shortage of businessman with credit cards to pay for good meals. Well this friend knows me so well and said, “Holly… you have to have more passion for the food industry then you currently do to enjoy that type of business — money isn’t going to be motivator enough for you”. And you know what? This couldn’t be more true.

Money itself does not motivate me but often it is what money can give me  — travel and the enjoyment of certain things in my life that DO motivate and inspire me. Money in this scenario (restaurant ownership) would take away the travel and the other things that do motivate me so I’d have to LOVE the food industry to make up for the things I would leave behind (free time, opportunity to jump on a train whenever, etc.). I thought long and hard about this and realized that I still need to pursue my dreams to someday open a shop. And so again the point of how essential passion is and how it needs to be the core foundation in whatever we do was driven home. And passion cannot be forced. A natural drive is either there or it is not there. Interesting to ponder, isn’t it?

Sometimes you simply cannot allow yourself to force something, whether it be your next career or your current new product idea, often the most organic “of the heart” things are those that bring you the utmost success. You win, your wallet wins, your heart wins, your customers win. If you force something to work out, often you’re drained, your wallet is fat, your heart feels like it may burst from stress, and your customers may be happy for a short while but if they sense you’re not happy, you may ultimately lose them. People are attracted to those who have a natural passion for their life and the things that they are doing. Right? If Oprah wasn’t passionate, would you tune in? If Jamie wasn’t in love with food would you watch? If Nigella didn’t lick every single finger would you be as interested? Forcing a square peg into a round hole is wasting ones time in an area where there is not natural fit, and it’s deflating and demotivating with often unsuccessful results. That is what I’m learning currently like never before. Living here is teaching me the value in licking every finger with passion, and slurping up every bit of gravy with the thickest cut homemade bread possible. I am learning that the best things in life come organically and not to force fit a single thing in life. If it is meant to work, it will work. If not, it won’t. Move on. Let go.

So! That was my little essay for the day. Ha ha! I’m writing a lot more on my blog lately and I hope you don’t mind… I’ve had a lot of a-ha! moments since relocating and there is freedom and pleasure in sharing them with you as I go along. Maybe you will take away a tiny something in my words from time-to-time. If not my words, then my finds…

(images: linked to their sources above)

Posted by decor8 in Arts + Crafts, etsy, Etsy Take 5 Tuesday on November 17, 2009

1. caro commented
    November 17th, 2009 at 12:04pm

I love your blog, because of posts like this.

And I love the little fox illustrations and these cute paper garlands. Really, really great. And don’t forget: foxes are the new owls!
    .-= caro´s last blog ..Leave a comment and win my calendar! =-.

2. 31everything commented
    November 17th, 2009 at 12:05pm

Beautiful finds! LOVE them all :) I like how you feature Etsy once a week in your blog :) So fun :)
    .-= 31everything´s last blog ..Kenneth Brown ROCKS! =-.

3. thedoodlegirl commented
    November 17th, 2009 at 12:05pm

Oh those finger puppets!!!
    .-= thedoodlegirl´s last blog ..Inspire Me Thursday: Tree =-.

4. Jenny N. commented
    November 17th, 2009 at 12:14pm

Hey! Thanks for the feature! I think my boyfriend will love that you called him “man candy”. ;)

The only thing is that you wrote “Jenny D. Design” but it’s Jenny N. Design. :) No big deal, though.
    .-= Jenny N. ´s last blog ..Traveler in Burnt Orange =-.

5. decor8 commented
    November 17th, 2009 at 12:16pm

Jenny – he he. that’s cute. ;)

6. Sarah John Afana commented
    November 17th, 2009 at 12:17pm

Holly, you have made an excellent observation and I could not agree more. As a painter some of my most successful pieces come when I am free to create and explore. Commissioned work is sometimes the hardest thing to navigate-the balance between where I naturally want to go and what the buyer has asked for can be frustrating.
    Sarah
    SarahJohnAfana.etsy.com
    schemata.etsy.com
    P.S. I just ordered a custom clutch from Jenny N. Designs last weekend; I can’t wait to get it!
    .-= Sarah John Afana´s last blog ..Birds’ Eye View-Original Acrylic Painting =-.

7. caroline kelly saganich commented
    November 17th, 2009 at 12:20pm

i just love those finger puppets! by coincidence, i happen to be featuring pelpa on my blog today, too! :)
    .-= caroline kelly saganich´s last blog ..another dreamy green scene =-.

8. Shalika commented
    November 17th, 2009 at 12:21pm

Hi Holly,
    I must say this really hit home. Ever so often I find myself forcing my “life”
    to happen. Be it work or otherwise but really the best way of enjoying every moment of life is to just let it happen! Its difficult to follow your passion as you have the logical side of your brain telling you otherwise but its also the only way to be.
    Thanks for reminding me of that:))

9. daisy janie commented
    November 17th, 2009 at 12:24pm

lovely finds and post holly! i agree wholeheartedly with not forcing creativity……..although, now that i think about it, here’s a flipside: isn’t it interesting when you put a deadline off until the last possible moment and something happens when you get into the workflow that all these tremendous ideas come flying at you? some of the best ideas hit people when they’re under pressure!
    .-= daisy janie´s last blog ..daisy janie calendar giveaway =-.

10. alex commented
    November 17th, 2009 at 12:27pm

love, love, love our aha’s and truths. and i so identify and thank you for putting out there so eloquently stuff that i can only have make sense in my head :)
    .-= alex´s last blog ..Fall, a video. =-.

11. decor8 commented
    November 17th, 2009 at 12:31pm

Daisy Janie – That is so interesting, and true as well. There are so many ways to spin it based on personal experience and such.

12. Julia commented
    November 17th, 2009 at 12:46pm

I really enjoyed reading about your thoughts on creativity – I’m going to have to read this again! I get easily distracted, creatively speaking. Over the past 15 years I’ve done, I think, six different things to make money. Followed up on an idea. But, the one thing I always say to myself is “what would I rather be doing?” It’s always photography. Problem is, that’s always made me the least amount of money. It’s frustrating to really want to do something but not be able to figure out how to make it work financially.

You put your ideas into words so well – thanks.

13. cary commented
    November 17th, 2009 at 12:50pm

Wow…you are so right Holly.Money can’t be the motivator.Passion has to be there..But it’s so easy to forget that – isn’t it? Imagine if poets and artists ruled the world.Have you ever read The Gift by Lewis Hyde? It’s about the importance of being creative especially in this culture.
    .-= cary´s last blog ..Day Dreaming… =-.

14. anna commented
    November 17th, 2009 at 12:51pm

thank you for you words. genius runs through you.

15. Jutta commented
    November 17th, 2009 at 12:52pm

I think this is a great topic, it’s actually something I’ve been thinking about lately. Maybe it’s because I work in the creative creative field but I definately feel that money alone isn’t a good enough motivation for a job. Of course it’s one of the reasons but it can’t be the only one (for me that is). Luckily at the moment I have a lot of creative freedom in my work. I realize it’s not always going to be so, it might actually come to an end pretty soon as my current project is ending, but now I’m enjoying every bit of it.

It’s so true what you said about the balance between the professional side and the creative side, and I think both of them can gain from each other.

Anyway, I really enjoy your thoughts and writings :) A lot of times when reading blogs I just look through the images, but you really give something to think about :)
    .-= Jutta´s last blog ..Vähän tunnelmointia =-.

16. Victoria Bennett Beyer commented
    November 17th, 2009 at 12:54pm

We like your a-ha moments. In fact, YOUR passion is why WE tune in.
    .-= Victoria Bennett Beyer´s last blog ..Gratitude =-.

17. trish commented
    November 17th, 2009 at 1:02pm

great post holly. the bottom line is you really have chimed into your mojo in .de and sweet sailing it is. the juices are flowing and sitting at the buffet with lots of choices feels fantastic. may there be many more ahas and oh-yeses. those magical places bring more of the same. many blessings your way sister. thanks for sharing! oxo t
    .-= trish´s last blog ..Susan Hornbeak Ortiz =-.

18. Rita-Rosa commented
    November 17th, 2009 at 1:07pm

Holly,
    I really enjoy your aha-moments! First of all being German I find your thoughts and observations about life here really inspiring in a way. A new perspective about daily life here, that makes me appreciate little things in each day, that I might not have noticed otherwise. Thanks for sharing these thoughts with us and pretty please keep posting about them.
    Rita

19. jen jafarzadeh commented
    November 17th, 2009 at 1:17pm

I adore those recycled paper garlands! great find, Holly.
    .-= jen jafarzadeh´s last blog ..color me happy housewarming =-.

20. Leigh commented
    November 17th, 2009 at 1:18pm

Brilliant!!
    I love this post, one for the fact that I can relate to being around alcoholics, more than a few unfortunately and remembering to the day in 2003 when I picked up a book of how to deal with others addictions, the main point in each chapter was just that, “Let go, and find your own happiness”. Well that is what I did, is was not overnight but I found that gradually I finally found my true self finally by not trying to fix someone else’s problems. That is when I started my art and sharing it with others. It was my aha moment!
    You put it all in such a perfect way here as it will be a great reminder at times to just let it flow, because when I do just that with my creativity, my best ideas and work have been the outcome. Thanks Holly!!
    .-= Leigh´s last blog .."Halfway" =-.

21. Leigh commented
    November 17th, 2009 at 1:18pm

Oh and fantastic picks as always!! :)
    .-= Leigh´s last blog .."Halfway" =-.

22. Kenziepoo commented
    November 17th, 2009 at 1:32pm

I love all these shops! Love all of your choices!!

23. sarah*ahearn commented
    November 17th, 2009 at 1:36pm

once again you’ve hit the nail on the head my friend! (hmmm that’s sort of a weird expression, but you know what i mean)
    i have to say i LOVE your “word heavy” posts, you have wonderful insights and you say everything very eloquently! : )
    here’s to creating and finger licking! ha!
    xoxo *s

24. Jamie commented
    November 17th, 2009 at 1:52pm

Holly,

Thank you for the wonderful post, I think that the outlook of letting things happen organiclly can really drive anything in life. You’ve shown that by your move across the world that if it’s meant to be it will happen. I recently took the same approach, I REALLY really wanted a dog and not just any kind a particular breed. We were having difficulty finding the right one and our landlord didn’t allow us to have pets. We were going to settle that it wasn’t meant to be till I came across the ONE. I told my husband if it’s meant to be it will fall into place, sure enough the past two weeks have been like magic, our landlord gave in and I’m picking her up in a week. I’m a true believer that if you follow your heart, work hard, give back, and push forward that anything is possible.

Thank you again for your awesomeness. Jamie

25. Jen commented
    November 17th, 2009 at 2:20pm

i L-O-V-E that paper garland!

ADORABLE and so sweet.

Jen
    .-= Jen´s last blog ..that’s amore tuesday <3 =-.

26. michele commented
    November 17th, 2009 at 2:25pm

Hi Holly,

You know I think you missed your calling. Have you ever considered ah whats it called a life coach ? Yes a life coach…you give so much advice some of it is telling people to close up shop and “move on”…interesting stuff

Holly you have inspired me to open a shop LOL I mean why the hell not have “a shop” I say dream big and doors will open up. I’m sure you would agree right?

We are dying to see the new apartment you went hunting for about a week ago. Whats the verdict? What did the hubby say?!

Michele
    .-= michele´s last blog ..Garland =-.

27. kt commented
    November 17th, 2009 at 2:32pm

i couldn’t stop reading this post , drinking my tea thinking “uh huh, yes, exactly”
    keep writing it all down:)
    kt
    .-= kt´s last blog ..waiting on the outside =-.

28. louise/artandghosts commented
    November 17th, 2009 at 2:36pm

lovely finds Holly!
    And so good to see Amy Blackwell here – a wonderful artist and friend:)

And, of course, thoughtful words. Thankyou for sharing.
    .-= louise/artandghosts´s last blog ..Minn’s Theatre =-.

29. Ele commented
    November 17th, 2009 at 2:40pm

I love it when you write about creativity, Holly. I always look forward to your more long-winded posts because you’re always making me think and look at things from a new perspective!

I agree especially with what you said about motivation. When I used to work in fashion design I realised that I didn’t have enough passion for the industry to make up for a job that wasn’t allowing me much creativity. I’d rather work in another industry, but have more creative freedom. It surprised me, that the creativity ended up being more important than the clothes :)
    .-= Ele´s last blog ..A Small Victory: Potato, Swede and Leek Gratin =-.

30. honey living commented
    November 17th, 2009 at 2:41pm

i so agree with what you’re saying holly. and as usual, i love your thoughts on the matter.

the “don’t force it” sentiment reminds me of a post i did over the summer called, of all things, “don’t force it, and other lessons from the kitchen.” i think you and your readers would appreciate the point of view since i know you relate.

.-= honey living´s last blog ..let’s dish about this =-.

31. flor commented
    November 17th, 2009 at 2:59pm

What a theme! Well, I guess I let myself go along with my (silly?) passion for puppetry and this is where it has led me: to feature in this Bible of art and design. Not too bad! I still can’t believe I am the same Flor Panichelli of which you speak. Thank you SO much Holly!!!

32. Kamela commented
    November 17th, 2009 at 3:06pm

Kick ass post! Keep rocking it. I can’t agree with you more on letting go. Let Go and Let God!!!
    .-= Kamela´s last blog ..High Style vs. Low Budget: Black & Grey Fashion =-.

33. blue bicicletta commented
    November 17th, 2009 at 3:34pm

Excellent post—gorgeous Etsy finds, and there is so much to think about in your post. I like your discussion about the food shop idea you had. It’s funny, before finding my way (back) to art, I had many ideas of other things I could do to create a job I loved (including food businesses). All of those ideas flopped, mainly, I think because I did not love them enough to follow through, and it was more about money and getting out of my current situation. When I started doing art seriously, it was about the art, about my love of art, and things just happened organically. I made art, and the business part followed. So, it’s true what you say, although it’s easy to forget. I love that “Let Go and Let God,” that’s just what I need to hear right now! Thank you for the words!
    .-= blue bicicletta´s last blog ..Getting the Word Out =-.

34. Ann-Marie commented
    November 17th, 2009 at 3:47pm

LOVE this post! Your words could not ring truer at this point in my life. I am definitely adding this to my favorites and referring back to it when need be. Thank you so much for sharing your wisdom with us today :)
    .-= Ann-Marie´s last blog ..On the Move =-.

35. Melissa de la Fuente commented
    November 17th, 2009 at 4:10pm

These are such beautiful finds hun, every single one! I love….and these kinds of posts from you? They mean so much….of course we don’t mind! Thank you for sharing these views and I couldn’t agree more, nothing forced ever works for me.
    xo
    Melis
    .-= Melissa de la Fuente´s last blog ..Cheap & Chic: inspired by art on etsy =-.

36. Elizabeth commented
    November 17th, 2009 at 4:42pm

Hi Holly,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts, it finally dawn on me that my subconscious? is trying to focus me on a certain direction… and it has to do with passion. Everything I’ve read by chance lately has been in regards to passion, in fact I’ve just noticed that a few days ago I changed my blog profile and the word passion is at the beginning ?!. To be honest I’m not sure what I’m supposed to see as I’ve just realized it while reading your post just now. Oh I’m so excited! I thought I would share :)
    Elizabeth.
    .-= Elizabeth´s last blog ..We’ve Been Watching… =-.

37. Carmella commented
    November 17th, 2009 at 4:45pm

Well said, Holly! And such a nice mix of Etsy finds, too!
    .-= Carmella´s last blog ..Dinner In the Morning =-.

38. Yoli commented
    November 17th, 2009 at 4:52pm

Holly this is really enchanting.
    .-= Yoli´s last blog .. =-.

39. julie commented
    November 17th, 2009 at 5:09pm

I can see you owning a cupcake shop Holly, with all the lovely pastel iced goodness! But… why not a design shop? I think you would curate (is that the right word for a shop, ha!) a fantastic shop and you have all the contacts and your blog would be fantastic for marketing it. Oooh and an online store too for us internationals! Imagine pottering around your store, styling the little vignettes and taking pretty pics for your blog. To be able to represent/sell all the beautiful things you covet from all the amazingly creative people out there. Sounds dreamy, no?
    .-= julie´s last blog ..my thoughts exactly =-.

40. Danielle commented
    November 17th, 2009 at 5:15pm

THis is SO interesting to me right now, and something I’ve struggled with in the past – working out where the passion is and if it works as ‘work’ or not. At the moment it’s that I have many passions and even skills but am not finding anything that DOES work as ‘work’.

But I keep mulling it over and this post will be sitting in my thoughts for a little while.
    .-= Danielle´s last blog ..Fifteen Melbourne =-.

41. Lisa commented
    November 17th, 2009 at 5:18pm

Lovely post! Go with the flow.
    .-= Lisa´s last blog ..Weekend with the folks =-.

42. decor8 commented
    November 17th, 2009 at 5:27pm

Julie – Oh yes, that is the dream I’ve had since I was a little girl. It’s what I picture too. But sometimes I think of opening something that would be a guaranteed cash cow. And then the thoughts of a cafe flood in. But I know money is the wrong motivation for a small business owner.

43. decor8 commented
    November 17th, 2009 at 5:27pm

Elizabeth thank you for sharing your personal expressions…. I wish you many good things! :)xo

44. Jessica commented
    November 17th, 2009 at 6:14pm

I enjoy reading your blog (first time commenting) and I have enjoyed the extra writing. Thank you for sharing your insight and encouraging others!

45. Rebekah commented
    November 17th, 2009 at 6:49pm

I normally scan the Etsy posts because I don’t often use them for purchasing. If an image catches my eye, I’ll stop. This time it was the writing. Thanks for sharing. It’s very enjoyable.

46. Erin @ SYL: Slipcover Your Life commented
    November 17th, 2009 at 7:16pm

NEED to get that paper garland (want to drape it over my headboard…)
    .-= Erin @ SYL: Slipcover Your Life´s last blog ..Giveaway Tuesday! =-.

47. Red Lipstick Style commented
    November 17th, 2009 at 8:15pm

Fabulous picks – love that green messenger bag and the foxes!

48. Kelly commented
    November 17th, 2009 at 8:49pm

Thank you again for sharing your ideas on this subject! It’s posts like this that helped give me the courage to step out of a good career into starting my own business. I’m discovering how easy it is to make a few wrong turns and realize that an idea is coming from a place of “well, maybe” instead of a place of joy. How quickly the temptations of the real world catch up with us! Keep these thoughts coming — it seems like it’s always good to remind each other of these truths. :-)
    .-= Kelly´s last blog ..Projects that Sound Easy… At First =-.

49. Cookie Cutter commented
    November 17th, 2009 at 9:25pm

Hey Holly,
    Thanks for this post. I enjoy all your posts but there are some like these which really speak to me. They remind me of what I want to achieve and reflect upon what I have been doing to get there. And of course the importance of passion.

Sometimes when I feel like I’m totally out of ideas on what to blog on, instead of letting myself post something for the sake of posting, I stop to remind myself of why I am blogging in the first place and what I had wanted my blog to be about when I first started. I find that that really helps.
    .-= Cookie Cutter´s last blog ..What kind of Christmas do you like? =-.

50. LD commented
    November 17th, 2009 at 10:02pm

What an inspiring post today! Thanks for your clever essay. You make such wonderful points about doing what you love with passion. I certainly try to live that way, however, I’m in the middle of working my way out of a situation that I am not happy in…talk about fitting a square peg into a circle! Thanks goodness I have my husband, family and friends (especially my fellow bloggers!) to share my true passions with.

Thanks for the encouragement to keep going!
    .-= LD´s last blog ..Designer Inspiration: Jaime Drake =-.

51. Holly commented
    November 17th, 2009 at 10:33pm

I am a new reader of your blog and love your posts. This one in particular hit a personal topic. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and unknowingly helping me let go. Trying to force creativity can be exhausting and takes every last drop of enjoyment out of it!

52. jandy pool products commented
    November 17th, 2009 at 10:50pm

Fric de Mentol — so cute!

53. june commented
    November 17th, 2009 at 11:32pm

hey holly – i’ve been in love with decor8 for well over a year – and recently i moved to Telluride, Colorado – total paradise and super far away from all things familiar. Your line about learning that the best things in life come organically and not to force fit a single thing in life was so touching – I had to comment. Your style is uber fab, and I love the new writing elements. Thanks so much!

54. Frugal Bon Vivant commented
    November 18th, 2009 at 12:45am

love the yellow clutch!
    .-= Frugal Bon Vivant´s last blog ..Orla Kiely Handbag Sample Sale @ Gilt Fuse =-.

55. Merissa commented
    November 18th, 2009 at 1:01am

Aloha Holly!
    When you finally do open up your shop, it’ll be the most talked about shop in blog-land, food-land, magazine-land, travel-channel-land…you get me, and you’ll have clients from around the world because you have oodles of adoring fans! Your shop will have the most awesome exterior and interior design…because everyone in that field will be fighting to land that design job. And, you’ll have not only the best tasting cupcakes, but also the most eye-pleasing ones and I can’t even imagine how pretty the packaging will be! And, the most awesome products in your shop, as you have the most awesome contacts in the art and design fields! Whenever you decide on doing it, it’ll be above AWESOME! I know you will ROCK it!!! And I think I’ll have to start saving money for a plane ticket to Germany from Hawaii as soon as I end this comment because I’m already planning to eat and shop at your new business! :)
    .-= Merissa´s last blog ..: A day of sketching, coloring, cutting, pasting…: =-.

56. Trendspotter commented
    November 18th, 2009 at 3:22am

Isn’t it funny how sometimes we just need to physically remove ourselves from our current routine in order to get to those “a-ha” moments? I swear I think of some of my best ideas when I’m waiting around at the airport and I hate the airport.

I think another very important and often forgotten factor in the whole creative process is “chill time.” Studies have shown our brains really do work best when we take time to chill out and literally do nothing. It’s true all the way down the food chain too, been proven in rats.

I think the Europeans are a little better at this than us Westerners. I spent most of this summer in Europe and was totally shocked at how it’s totally normal for people to go out every single night of the week for the entire summer.

In the states, it’s considered random to be out on a “random Tuesday night.” Funny, huh?

I spent some time in Hamburg last summer. Loved it. Will you have time to visit there?

Okay, just wanted to add my two cents. Happy Travels Holly!

57. puglyfeet commented
    November 18th, 2009 at 4:00am

well said, holly. thank you for sharing your wonderful insights. i hope this is okay — i’m going to quote you on my blog:

“And so again the point of how essential passion is and how it needs to be the core foundation in whatever we do was driven home. And passion cannot be forced. A natural drive is either there or it is not there.”

58. ChervelleCamille commented
    November 18th, 2009 at 4:20am

Very well written, Holly. Thank you!

59. decor8 commented
    November 18th, 2009 at 5:16am

Trendspotter – Oh yes, Hamburg is lovely. It’s an hour north by train and so we go a few times a year. It’s gorgeous in the Summer, especially around the old town hall and the waterfront. And they have Habitat and some other shops that are not here in my city so it’s fun to go up and see what’s new. Oh and I agree on the airport scenario. I LOVE airports. I could hang out in one all day and not even have to fly anywhere. My favorite was in Zurich and another fave is LAX. The people watching is just the best. Here our airport is small and about 20 minutes outside of the city, but the major train station is 5 minutes from my house by subway and so I’ve been in it nearly every day since I have to walk through it to get to the city. It’s very large I see people running from this and that platform and it’s exciting. I look up on the schedule board and see “Warsaw”, “Paris”, “Amsterdam” “Berlin” and feel very connected knowing so much is so accessible. And this is very exciting!

60. Marwa commented
    November 18th, 2009 at 5:22am

Very Nice Topic

61. Rebecca commented
    November 18th, 2009 at 9:39am

Interesting post, especially about the alcoholic part of it. It’s one thing to be there for your friend, but it’s his battle not yours. You can only do so much. It’s not your responsibility to “fix” him or take on his stuff. He has to figure out his alcoholism for himself. Growing up within an alcoholic family, I’ve seen first hand what alcohol can do to children and adults. This is why I decided to develop a life coaching business for ACOAs and for teens.

Regarding “forcing something” such as your career or product idea, this is what I have been doing for the past two years because I have bills that have to be paid. I decided to take a risk and move to AZ. Big mistake as far as I’m concerned. I haven’t been able to land any full-time work. If it wasn’t for mom (owe her a lot), I would probably be on the streets or back in OH. We must earn a living in order to live here on planet Earth — we use money to pay the bills. I am passionate about what I do, but I’m also not irresponsible. Whatever I must do to earn an income I will do, even if it’s not a job that I have no passion for. I am very stressed and my bank accounts and credit cards are drained. Sigh…

62. decor8 commented
    November 18th, 2009 at 9:59am

Rebecca — The alcohol part was something a close family member, who I loved dearly, dealt with many years ago and I went to AA meetings to make sense of it all which helped me tremendously to not feel alone and to know that I couldn’t solve the problem, only my thinking. It was total freedom for me once I learned that.

63. Piia Harris commented
    November 18th, 2009 at 10:05am

Words of wisdom!!!You’re talented in so many ways!!
    .-= Piia Harris´s last blog ..Blown Away =-.

64. TheNightJar commented
    November 18th, 2009 at 10:24am

These are some of my favorites already (Jenny N , Amy Blackwell and Pelpa) but you have given me some more new favs too- love linea’s garlands and Fric de Mentol- what interesting and lively illustrations : ) thanks!
    .-= TheNightJar´s last blog ..Singing Bird original oil painting with vintage brass frame =-.

65. Lana of Simple Joys Paperie commented
    November 18th, 2009 at 12:15pm

I enjoyed perusing the etsy picks Holly!
    You are so right about having a passion for what we do ~ it will definitely show in our work.
    Have a lovely day!
    .-= Lana of Simple Joys Paperie´s last blog ..BONJOUR Above the Door French Book Wreath =-.

66. gaye commented
    November 18th, 2009 at 12:20pm

Thank you so very much for your wise word of wisdome. You are my sanity!

67. Allison commented
    November 18th, 2009 at 1:38pm

I love the paper garland! I’m usually not one for holiday decor, but I really think I could get into that.

68. Amy B commented
    November 18th, 2009 at 4:42pm

Such a lovely post :) I’m touched to have been featured among such beautiful work – definitely going to add some of those treasures to the christmas list.
    lovely lovely lovely

69. Manette commented
    November 18th, 2009 at 5:19pm

Passion – its at the heart of all good things. Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts and for allowing all of us to chime in too. As a child I was very artistic, but as I grew up I realized that I had to work to pay the bills and support my family and my art was not going to do that. Don’t get me wrong, I love my job – (travel industry), but my passion is art, design and creating things. So about two years ago I finally decided to pursue my passion along with my job and I love every minute of it. I work and play constantly, my hands and mind are always busy either working for someone else (to pay the bills) or creating in my own workshop at home to fullfill my own needs. I am up late every night creating and off to work each day. Life is full, busy and very hectic, but I wouldn’t trade it for anything. My dream is to someday have my passion be my job, but for now, I’ll accept both and let fate lead the way. Travel does inspire me to be more creative so in some ways my job feeds my passion too. Thanks Holly!
    .-= Manette´s last blog ..Second Chance Beach Glass Keychain =-.

70. Amy - no. 15 creative commented
    November 18th, 2009 at 8:25pm

Great finds! I love the paper garland by linea, it looks nice with the sizes mixed together.
    .-= Amy – no. 15 creative´s last blog ..NY Love =-.

71. volksfaden commented
    November 19th, 2009 at 2:21am

dear holly
    definitely food for thought in this post, thanks for sharing your thoughts and insight. i have to mull this over…..linda

72. DEB commented
    November 19th, 2009 at 3:37am

Lovely, lovely selection. I discovered fric de mentol this week too. Nice work.
    .-= DEB´s last blog ..Mid-week picks =-.

73. Afi commented
    November 19th, 2009 at 8:56am

You are absolutely right Holly, it’s a blessing to have a job that you LOVE but a few people have the opportunity to live like that and they are so lucky :) But as you said I prefer to earn less money but spend my life in the way I like, I don’t mean that I completely don’t want to do what is against my nature, but it’s a great idea to minimize that.

And I truly believe if you have passion for something you’ll get succesful in the end!

Anyways I really enjoyed reading your post and your Etsy picks are so lovely! Take care and have a great day!
    .-= Afi´s last blog ..Penguins of JooJoo Land =-.