Color Inspiration

Magenta, Purple, Turquoise and Silver

November 23, 2009

Hello Friends, it’s Leslie with Color Me Pretty and this time around I am playing with jewel tones — magenta, purple, turquoise and a little silver for some shimmer and shine. The winter holidays are upon us and why not add a little sparkle and glow to our surroundings? Winter decorating can be really fun for those who have long standing traditions, the boxes come out, the treasures go up and the magic happens. If you aren’t a lover a tradition, it’s still a beautiful time of year to mix things up and bring the outdoors in.

Magenta, Purple, Turquoise and Silver

Today I want to inspire ways of decorating that could be more subtle and simple. Some shiny ornaments sprinkled around your home. Baked goods wrapped for a sweet gift. An orchid or two because they are so exotic and pretty. A homemade garland to hang because they almost always make a space feel more festive. It’s interesting to think about what we may already have that could look special when paired with some candles, an ornament or two and possibly some flowers. All of a sudden the atmosphere can change and feel more celebratory, especially if we add in the scent of something baking – right? Winter holidays can be a great excuse to become more creative in are giving to others and to ourselves.

Magenta, Purple, Turquoise and Silver

Magenta, Purple, Turquoise and Silver

DIY Idea: A tiny “advent calender” inspired, gift bag garland (that is a mouth full -but you get the idea!). I pulled the handles of these tiny wedding gift bags and hole punched them to string along a ribbon and create a garland or a hanging advent calender. If used as an advent calender I like how it gets shorter as the days of December go by when snipping each treat bag off with a pair of scissors. If you do not have a lot of wall space for a traditional advent calender this is a way to create something that could be hung around a door or vertically in a corner.

Magenta, Purple, Turquoise and Silver

I will see you back here in a few weeks -until then please take care. – Leslie

(images: leslie shewring)

You Might Also Like

• Reply The Perfect Palette November 23, 2009 at 11:38 am

oh how gorgeous this is. Seriously a lovely palette. My readers would swoon over this.

• Reply modernemotive November 23, 2009 at 11:38 am

.-= modernemotive´s last blog ..Cutting Ninja =-.

• Reply Kristin November 23, 2009 at 11:44 am

Gorgeous, per usual, Leslie!
    .-= Kristin´s last blog ..Spark Plugs * Thanksgiving Tablescapes =-.

• Reply Melanie November 23, 2009 at 11:52 am

These colors are simply gorgeous and rich. I love LOVE it! Thanks for sharing. Great inspiration.
    .-= Melanie´s last blog ..Sea Glass Festival =-.

• Reply Brandi November 23, 2009 at 11:57 am

I really like this color combo. And the cookie wrapping idea is fantastic! I’ve been trying to figure out new way to package my baked goods for the holidays.
    .-= Brandi´s last blog ..Sweet Endeavors: Croissants =-.

• Reply City Chic - Jamie November 23, 2009 at 11:58 am

Thank you for yet another gorgeous post! My eyes thank you :)
    .-= City Chic – Jamie´s last blog ..Cleaning with Cocktails =-.

• Reply svenja November 23, 2009 at 11:59 am

Oh the advent calendar is so cute!!!!
    I love it!
    I’m planning to make one for my boyfriend this year.
    Has anybody just any more ideas what to put in it?

• Reply Carmenesque November 23, 2009 at 12:00 pm

So pretty colors Leslie, these are my favorites!
    .-= Carmenesque´s last blog ..Monday Moodboard – Recycling =-.

• Reply Jen November 23, 2009 at 12:03 pm

Absolutely LOVE the colours and pick of vintage-y glass baubles – so nostalgic! X

• Reply Alexandra November 23, 2009 at 12:03 pm

These colors are gorgeous, I am truly inspired to start decorating for the holidays!

• Reply Lydia, Clueless Crafter November 23, 2009 at 12:07 pm

I’m a big fan of aubergine, a little more ruddy than magenta. In all, love the jewel tones.
    .-= Lydia, Clueless Crafter´s last blog ..Zippy, Pithy Elsa Maxwell Quotes for Thanksgiving =-.

• Reply Nuit November 23, 2009 at 12:07 pm

what a gorgeous, creative and amazing fresh take on holiday decor, these are my favorite colors but I could never have put them together like this and I have wanting for so long to use new colors (not so traditional) on my christmas decor. I specially love the little cards and your use of candles and ribbon. Delightful!

• Reply decor8 November 23, 2009 at 12:09 pm

Nuit – These colors are popular here in Germany. We have either red/white with wood, jewel tones, white with silver, and white with gold as pretty common motifs for the season in local craft stores.

• Reply laura trevey November 23, 2009 at 12:07 pm

Leslie ~~
    What a beautiful post of sparkling color!
    Happy Holidays ~

xo Laura
    .-= laura trevey´s last blog ..Sapphire Blue, Original Watercolor Painting, 6 by 8, Chic Home Decor =-.

• Reply Heather- Gathering Spriggs November 23, 2009 at 12:23 pm

yes. i agree. love non traditional colors for this time of year. and then you can use the accessories year round. because purple, mauve and fuschia are so trendy right now, i think its great that we explore beyond tradition. leslie, your images make my mouth water!
    thanks for another inspirational collage of images.
    .-= Heather- Gathering Spriggs´s last blog ..Blogs of the Week- International =-.

• Reply brittni: papernstitch November 23, 2009 at 12:53 pm

This unusual holiday palette is beautiful. I love trying to work with non-traditional colors during the holidays and these really set the tone.
    .-= brittni: papernstitch´s last blog ..Craft Venture: not stressing the holidays =-.

• Reply jen November 23, 2009 at 12:59 pm

Hot Damn! just stunning!

• Reply Vicki Moore November 23, 2009 at 1:01 pm

Leslie ~ what a beautiful and creative post! I love the vintage jewel tone ornaments and the DIY ideas… really inspiring. Thank you for sharing!

• Reply Laura November 23, 2009 at 1:07 pm

Totally love the colors – especially against the pristine white.

• Reply My Simple Details November 23, 2009 at 1:08 pm

So beautiful. I’m super inspired by the colors.

• Reply Sarah November 23, 2009 at 1:08 pm

Absolutely gorgeous color combinations…really look delicious and makes me want to decorate a room in those colors! Refreshing too for the holidays instead of the usual red and green.

• Reply vivian November 23, 2009 at 1:19 pm

in love with ribbon’s and purple!

• Reply melissa November 23, 2009 at 1:31 pm

beeeeaaauuutiful! I adore these “non-traditional” christmas colors! May i also ask…where did you get the capital silver letters featured in the first photograph? I love those!

• Reply Kenny November 23, 2009 at 1:35 pm

Lovley, just lovely, fresh and airy!

I have some questions if you have time to answer:

1. Facebook link doesn’t work.
    2. Which templates and fonts do you use for decor8 and haus maus (below pictures and in sidebars).

Thanks a lot and keep on, your blogs are pure inspiration!

• Reply Diane November 23, 2009 at 1:38 pm

Beautiful post Leslie. I love your advent calender and the jewel tones are wonderful. What a great post to get me in the holiday spirit! Thanks for sharing.

• Reply Mowie @ Mowielicious November 23, 2009 at 2:24 pm

Gorgeous, gorgeous colours Leslie, could it be the perfect palette? Love it! So inspiring as always. M x
    .-= Mowie @ Mowielicious´s last blog ..Meeta’s Guest Post On Mowielicious: Chocolate Fudge Burfi =-.

• Reply Muffin November 23, 2009 at 2:30 pm

Where did you get your decorative tape! Love it! So wonderful. Thanks for the beautiful images.
    .-= Muffin´s last blog ..I’m grateful for… =-.

• Reply fresh365 November 23, 2009 at 3:14 pm

Just lovely! I have been enjoying jewel tones lately and have noticed it in fashion as well, so great timing. That tape is so cute!
    .-= fresh365´s last blog ..Harvest Hummus =-.

• Reply Amie November 23, 2009 at 3:21 pm

Ooooh, just gorgeous colours! And I am in love with the Advent calendar idea, I just may try this.

• Reply Mrs. M November 23, 2009 at 4:03 pm

what a fresh & vibrant palette for the holidays! great work Leslie!!
    .-= Mrs. M´s last blog ..setting it straight: Thanksgiving table ideas =-.

• Reply Aaron November 23, 2009 at 4:07 pm

I love these colors for Christmas decorations. I ,however, am not bold or cool enough to use them. :)

• Reply Polly November 23, 2009 at 4:08 pm

I love these posts! those tones are gorgeous. x
    .-= Polly´s last blog ..Funny picture for your weekend =-.

• Reply B November 23, 2009 at 4:59 pm

Purple, pink and gold was my holiday palette a few years ago. May have to resurrect/refresh it this year…after seeing this lovely collection.
    .-= B´s last blog ..Another Way to Show off Your Nobs =-.

• Reply tam November 23, 2009 at 4:59 pm

gorgeous colour scheme. very inspiring.

• Reply Travelingmama November 23, 2009 at 5:05 pm

Absolutely gorgeous! I love the beads, the ornaments, and I am dying for some of that tape! So lovely! Looking forward to seeing what you have for us in a few weeks!
    .-= Travelingmama´s last blog ..our {gnome} Part 1 =-.

• Reply Snapdragons November 23, 2009 at 5:18 pm

.-= Snapdragons´s last blog ..Weekly Give Away! =-.

• Reply Juana @ SweetVisualAids November 23, 2009 at 5:27 pm

True eye candy as always!! :D
    .-= Juana @ SweetVisualAids´s last blog ..The cutest way to attract customers to your shop =-.

• Reply Caitlin November 23, 2009 at 5:37 pm

This is amazing!! What a unique colour combo for the holidays- so bright and fresh. I love it! :) The photos are all so clear and beautiful and just jump off the screen! The advent calendar is totally genius. And I hope you can send me some of those cookies :)
    .-= Caitlin´s last blog ..Vogue in the 1920s =-.

• Reply Melissa de la Fuente November 23, 2009 at 6:21 pm

Oh my gosh….I know I gush and I gush when I comment on your posts Leslie…so, forgive me because I am going to gush yet again. I mean, you are just inspired and so incredibly gifted. These are glorious and festive and beautiful and inspiring. I adore that sweet advent calendar idea and the garland. If I just had a smidge of your inspiration and talent in my pinky finger…well, then I would be….you! :) Thank you for this sweet Leslie and happy, happy Thanksgiving to you!
    .-= Melissa de la Fuente´s last blog ..Monday: inspired by lovely swans… =-.

• Reply Penny Patten November 23, 2009 at 7:19 pm

So very pretty, its really nice that we can use so many colors for decorating as well as for wrapping!
    .-= Penny Patten´s last blog ..Decorating For The Holidays =-.

• Reply little room la November 23, 2009 at 8:46 pm

i really love all the color in this! and how they arent just the regular red & green!

• Reply Katie - Coco Målé November 24, 2009 at 8:21 am

wow, amazing as usual!! this is definitely my favourite combo so far… thanks Leslie!
    .-= Katie – Coco Målé´s last blog ..Hush Hush… =-.

• Reply María Cecilia November 24, 2009 at 9:52 am

Hi Leslie, thank you for these wonderful ideas, everything you post is a pleasure to the eyes and your displayings are so, so beautiful.
    Here we are bringing the inside out because we are in spring time.
    Muchos cariños
    María Cecilia

• Reply Chelsea November 24, 2009 at 10:03 am

Ahhh, girly heaven…i love it! So beautiful…and inspiring! Holidays in other colors than red, green and gold…
    .-= Chelsea´s last blog ..Busy Busy Bliss =-.

• Reply Jen D. November 24, 2009 at 12:48 pm

LOVE LOVE those colors!

• Reply Astrid November 26, 2009 at 5:00 am

omg – I’ll invite myself over for coffee – these photos are so inVITING!

• Reply crt November 27, 2009 at 12:25 am

where did you get these ornaments? and i love the advent idea… got any good ideas for daily gifts??? and the spoonfulls of beads are very special. thank you!

• Reply Amy November 28, 2009 at 1:04 pm

Beautiful decorations! The colors are gorgeous!

• Reply LeeAnn December 8, 2009 at 9:24 am

Ok, as a designer friend of mine once said to me, “these colors are delicious!” Makes me want to change out one of the rooms in our home and decorative a Christmas tree with these colors! I don’t know who does your layout and set up for photography, but it is just outstanding. Love what you’ve done here .. very inspiring!

• Reply Little Miss Wedding December 10, 2009 at 5:33 pm

fantastic colours and perfect for Christmas – everyone always goes for the reds, greens, silvers – its nice t see something else for a change.
    .-= Little Miss Wedding´s last blog ..Save the Dates and other lovely piccies =-.