Color Me Pretty

Hello Friends, it’s Leslie with Color Me Pretty and this time around I am playing with jewel tones — magenta, purple, turquoise and a little silver for some shimmer and shine. The winter holidays are upon us and why not add a little sparkle and glow to our surroundings? Winter decorating can be really fun for those who have long standing traditions, the boxes come out, the treasures go up and the magic happens. If you aren’t a lover a tradition, it’s still a beautiful time of year to mix things up and bring the outdoors in.

Color Me Pretty

Today I want to inspire ways of decorating that could be more subtle and simple. Some shiny ornaments sprinkled around your home. Baked goods wrapped for a sweet gift. An orchid or two because they are so exotic and pretty. A homemade garland to hang because they almost always make a space feel more festive. It’s interesting to think about what we may already have that could look special when paired with some candles, an ornament or two and possibly some flowers. All of a sudden the atmosphere can change and feel more celebratory, especially if we add in the scent of something baking – right? Winter holidays can be a great excuse to become more creative in are giving to others and to ourselves.

Color Me Pretty

Color Me Pretty

DIY Idea: A tiny “advent calender” inspired, gift bag garland (that is a mouth full -but you get the idea!). I pulled the handles of these tiny wedding gift bags and hole punched them to string along a ribbon and create a garland or a hanging advent calender. If used as an advent calender I like how it gets shorter as the days of December go by when snipping each treat bag off with a pair of scissors. If you do not have a lot of wall space for a traditional advent calender this is a way to create something that could be hung around a door or vertically in a corner.

Color Me Pretty

I will see you back here in a few weeks -until then please take care. – Leslie

(images: leslie shewring)

Posted by decor8 in Color Inspiration, Color Me Pretty on November 23, 2009

1. The Perfect Palette commented
    November 23rd, 2009 at 11:38am

oh how gorgeous this is. Seriously a lovely palette. My readers would swoon over this.

2. modernemotive commented
    November 23rd, 2009 at 11:38am

Stunning!
    .-= modernemotive´s last blog ..Cutting Ninja =-.

3. Kristin commented
    November 23rd, 2009 at 11:44am

Gorgeous, per usual, Leslie!
    .-= Kristin´s last blog ..Spark Plugs * Thanksgiving Tablescapes =-.

4. Melanie commented
    November 23rd, 2009 at 11:52am

These colors are simply gorgeous and rich. I love LOVE it! Thanks for sharing. Great inspiration.
    .-= Melanie´s last blog ..Sea Glass Festival =-.

5. Brandi commented
    November 23rd, 2009 at 11:57am

I really like this color combo. And the cookie wrapping idea is fantastic! I’ve been trying to figure out new way to package my baked goods for the holidays.
    .-= Brandi´s last blog ..Sweet Endeavors: Croissants =-.

6. City Chic - Jamie commented
    November 23rd, 2009 at 11:58am

Thank you for yet another gorgeous post! My eyes thank you :)
    .-= City Chic – Jamie´s last blog ..Cleaning with Cocktails =-.

7. svenja commented
    November 23rd, 2009 at 11:59am

Oh the advent calendar is so cute!!!!
    I love it!
    I’m planning to make one for my boyfriend this year.
    Has anybody just any more ideas what to put in it?

8. Carmenesque commented
    November 23rd, 2009 at 12:00pm

So pretty colors Leslie, these are my favorites!
    .-= Carmenesque´s last blog ..Monday Moodboard – Recycling =-.

9. Jen commented
    November 23rd, 2009 at 12:03pm

Absolutely LOVE the colours and pick of vintage-y glass baubles – so nostalgic! X

10. Alexandra commented
    November 23rd, 2009 at 12:03pm

These colors are gorgeous, I am truly inspired to start decorating for the holidays!

11. Lydia, Clueless Crafter commented
    November 23rd, 2009 at 12:07pm

I’m a big fan of aubergine, a little more ruddy than magenta. In all, love the jewel tones.
    .-= Lydia, Clueless Crafter´s last blog ..Zippy, Pithy Elsa Maxwell Quotes for Thanksgiving =-.

12. Nuit commented
    November 23rd, 2009 at 12:07pm

what a gorgeous, creative and amazing fresh take on holiday decor, these are my favorite colors but I could never have put them together like this and I have wanting for so long to use new colors (not so traditional) on my christmas decor. I specially love the little cards and your use of candles and ribbon. Delightful!

13. laura trevey commented
    November 23rd, 2009 at 12:07pm

Leslie ~~
    What a beautiful post of sparkling color!
    Happy Holidays ~

xo Laura
    .-= laura trevey´s last blog ..Sapphire Blue, Original Watercolor Painting, 6 by 8, Chic Home Decor =-.

14. decor8 commented
    November 23rd, 2009 at 12:09pm

Nuit – These colors are popular here in Germany. We have either red/white with wood, jewel tones, white with silver, and white with gold as pretty common motifs for the season in local craft stores.

15. Heather- Gathering Spriggs commented
    November 23rd, 2009 at 12:23pm

yes. i agree. love non traditional colors for this time of year. and then you can use the accessories year round. because purple, mauve and fuschia are so trendy right now, i think its great that we explore beyond tradition. leslie, your images make my mouth water!
    thanks for another inspirational collage of images.
    .-= Heather- Gathering Spriggs´s last blog ..Blogs of the Week- International =-.

16. brittni: papernstitch commented
    November 23rd, 2009 at 12:53pm

This unusual holiday palette is beautiful. I love trying to work with non-traditional colors during the holidays and these really set the tone.
    .-= brittni: papernstitch´s last blog ..Craft Venture: not stressing the holidays =-.

17. jen commented
    November 23rd, 2009 at 12:59pm

Hot Damn! just stunning!

18. Vicki Moore commented
    November 23rd, 2009 at 1:01pm

Leslie ~ what a beautiful and creative post! I love the vintage jewel tone ornaments and the DIY ideas… really inspiring. Thank you for sharing!

19. Laura commented
    November 23rd, 2009 at 1:07pm

Totally love the colors – especially against the pristine white.

20. My Simple Details commented
    November 23rd, 2009 at 1:08pm

So beautiful. I’m super inspired by the colors.

21. Sarah commented
    November 23rd, 2009 at 1:08pm

Absolutely gorgeous color combinations…really look delicious and makes me want to decorate a room in those colors! Refreshing too for the holidays instead of the usual red and green.

22. vivian commented
    November 23rd, 2009 at 1:19pm

in love with ribbon’s and purple!

23. melissa commented
    November 23rd, 2009 at 1:31pm

beeeeaaauuutiful! I adore these “non-traditional” christmas colors! May i also ask…where did you get the capital silver letters featured in the first photograph? I love those!

24. Kenny commented
    November 23rd, 2009 at 1:35pm

Lovley, just lovely, fresh and airy!

I have some questions if you have time to answer:

1. Facebook link doesn’t work.
    2. Which templates and fonts do you use for decor8 and haus maus (below pictures and in sidebars).

Thanks a lot and keep on, your blogs are pure inspiration!

25. Diane commented
    November 23rd, 2009 at 1:38pm

Beautiful post Leslie. I love your advent calender and the jewel tones are wonderful. What a great post to get me in the holiday spirit! Thanks for sharing.

26. decor8 commented
    November 23rd, 2009 at 1:59pm

Kenny – Yes the facebook links works fine. Try it again maybe? http://www.facebook.com/decor8
    Fonts – not sure, I hired a designer who did it all for me.

27. Mowie @ Mowielicious commented
    November 23rd, 2009 at 2:24pm

Gorgeous, gorgeous colours Leslie, could it be the perfect palette? Love it! So inspiring as always. M x
    .-= Mowie @ Mowielicious´s last blog ..Meeta’s Guest Post On Mowielicious: Chocolate Fudge Burfi =-.

28. Muffin commented
    November 23rd, 2009 at 2:30pm

Where did you get your decorative tape! Love it! So wonderful. Thanks for the beautiful images.
    .-= Muffin´s last blog ..I’m grateful for… =-.

29. fresh365 commented
    November 23rd, 2009 at 3:14pm

Just lovely! I have been enjoying jewel tones lately and have noticed it in fashion as well, so great timing. That tape is so cute!
    .-= fresh365´s last blog ..Harvest Hummus =-.

30. Amie commented
    November 23rd, 2009 at 3:21pm

Ooooh, just gorgeous colours! And I am in love with the Advent calendar idea, I just may try this.

31. Mrs. M commented
    November 23rd, 2009 at 4:03pm

what a fresh & vibrant palette for the holidays! great work Leslie!!
    .-= Mrs. M´s last blog ..setting it straight: Thanksgiving table ideas =-.

32. Aaron commented
    November 23rd, 2009 at 4:07pm

I love these colors for Christmas decorations. I ,however, am not bold or cool enough to use them. :)

33. Polly commented
    November 23rd, 2009 at 4:08pm

I love these posts! those tones are gorgeous. x
    .-= Polly´s last blog ..Funny picture for your weekend =-.

34. B commented
    November 23rd, 2009 at 4:59pm

Purple, pink and gold was my holiday palette a few years ago. May have to resurrect/refresh it this year…after seeing this lovely collection.
    .-= B´s last blog ..Another Way to Show off Your Nobs =-.

35. tam commented
    November 23rd, 2009 at 4:59pm

gorgeous colour scheme. very inspiring.

36. Travelingmama commented
    November 23rd, 2009 at 5:05pm

Absolutely gorgeous! I love the beads, the ornaments, and I am dying for some of that tape! So lovely! Looking forward to seeing what you have for us in a few weeks!
    .-= Travelingmama´s last blog ..our {gnome} Part 1 =-.

37. Snapdragons commented
    November 23rd, 2009 at 5:18pm

Delicious.
    .-= Snapdragons´s last blog ..Weekly Give Away! =-.

38. Juana @ SweetVisualAids commented
    November 23rd, 2009 at 5:27pm

True eye candy as always!! :D
    .-= Juana @ SweetVisualAids´s last blog ..The cutest way to attract customers to your shop =-.

39. Caitlin commented
    November 23rd, 2009 at 5:37pm

This is amazing!! What a unique colour combo for the holidays- so bright and fresh. I love it! :) The photos are all so clear and beautiful and just jump off the screen! The advent calendar is totally genius. And I hope you can send me some of those cookies :)
    .-= Caitlin´s last blog ..Vogue in the 1920s =-.

40. Melissa de la Fuente commented
    November 23rd, 2009 at 6:21pm

Oh my gosh….I know I gush and I gush when I comment on your posts Leslie…so, forgive me because I am going to gush yet again. I mean, you are just inspired and so incredibly gifted. These are glorious and festive and beautiful and inspiring. I adore that sweet advent calendar idea and the garland. If I just had a smidge of your inspiration and talent in my pinky finger…well, then I would be….you! :) Thank you for this sweet Leslie and happy, happy Thanksgiving to you!
    xo
    Melis
    .-= Melissa de la Fuente´s last blog ..Monday: inspired by lovely swans… =-.

41. Penny Patten commented
    November 23rd, 2009 at 7:19pm

So very pretty, its really nice that we can use so many colors for decorating as well as for wrapping!
    .-= Penny Patten´s last blog ..Decorating For The Holidays =-.

42. little room la commented
    November 23rd, 2009 at 8:46pm

i really love all the color in this! and how they arent just the regular red & green!

43. Katie - Coco Målé commented
    November 24th, 2009 at 8:21am

wow, amazing as usual!! this is definitely my favourite combo so far… thanks Leslie!
    .-= Katie – Coco Målé´s last blog ..Hush Hush… =-.

44. María Cecilia commented
    November 24th, 2009 at 9:52am

Hi Leslie, thank you for these wonderful ideas, everything you post is a pleasure to the eyes and your displayings are so, so beautiful.
    Here we are bringing the inside out because we are in spring time.
    Muchos cariños
    María Cecilia

45. Chelsea commented
    November 24th, 2009 at 10:03am

Ahhh, girly heaven…i love it! So beautiful…and inspiring! Holidays in other colors than red, green and gold…
    .-= Chelsea´s last blog ..Busy Busy Bliss =-.

46. Jen D. commented
    November 24th, 2009 at 12:48pm

LOVE LOVE those colors!

47. Astrid commented
    November 26th, 2009 at 5:00am

omg – I’ll invite myself over for coffee – these photos are so inVITING!

48. crt commented
    November 27th, 2009 at 12:25am

where did you get these ornaments? and i love the advent idea… got any good ideas for daily gifts??? and the spoonfulls of beads are very special. thank you!

49. Amy commented
    November 28th, 2009 at 1:04pm

Beautiful decorations! The colors are gorgeous!

50. LeeAnn commented
    December 8th, 2009 at 9:24am

Ok, as a designer friend of mine once said to me, “these colors are delicious!” Makes me want to change out one of the rooms in our home and decorative a Christmas tree with these colors! I don’t know who does your layout and set up for photography, but it is just outstanding. Love what you’ve done here .. very inspiring!

51. Little Miss Wedding commented
    December 10th, 2009 at 5:33pm

fantastic colours and perfect for Christmas – everyone always goes for the reds, greens, silvers – its nice t see something else for a change.
    .-= Little Miss Wedding´s last blog ..Save the Dates and other lovely piccies =-.