Portable Fireplaces

November 23, 2009

I’ve been thinking a lot lately about how wonderful it would be to have a fireplace to not only create a more cozy atmosphere but also to warm up the house without always having to pump up the heat. A fireplace is not a common feature in city apartments where I live. Some flats have ceramic stoves in the living or dining rooms, but the typical fireplace-with-mantle is not popping up whenever I do a property search so I’m guessing they’re not the norm.

Portable Fireplaces

I’m trying to think of how I can incorporate one into my home at some point — but it’s not something you can really run out and build if you happen to find a flat in a building that you love without a chimney or stove so I’m looking at alternate options, like a wood stove or even something portable. Thing is, all of them look so cheesy or boring until today when I read about portable fireplaces over at LoftLife magazine and came across this brilliant one — the Piet — by Swedish designer Fredrik Hylten-Cavallius. I. Love. It.

Portable Fireplaces

“Swedish designer Fredrik Hylten-Cavallius designed the Piet, a chimney-free indoor fireplace with a brass reflector that burns ethanol fuel instead of wood. Because it doesn’t give off smoke, there is no need for a chimney, making it versatile and portable. It also has a layer of rockwool fire insulation between the reflector and the outer shell, which keeps the outside ceramic body cool, so you can keep it close to walls and furniture without worrying.” – LoftLife

What do you think?

(images: Fredrik Hylten-Cavalliu)

You Might Also Like

• Reply Shanon November 23, 2009 at 3:11 pm

My only wish was that there was some type of glass protector from the flame, because the way that kitty looks, I’m afraid it wants to jump right up there to check out the action and get cozy. Yikes! =)
    .-= Shanon´s last blog ..Spending the Holidays with PNS =-.

• Reply Jen @ GreetQ November 23, 2009 at 3:15 pm

This is absolutely lovely! Okay, it’s on my Christmas list! Plus, I love the curious cat.
    .-= Jen @ GreetQ´s last blog ..Free Masha D’Yans Gift Tags =-.

• Reply ruth November 23, 2009 at 3:21 pm

What a fabulous fireplace!

• Reply kendal croix November 23, 2009 at 3:21 pm

what a brilliant idea.

• Reply Ele November 23, 2009 at 3:21 pm

I am all over that. LOVE it.
    .-= Ele´s last blog ..Bread & Veg =-.

• Reply Sarah Wallis November 23, 2009 at 3:21 pm

I love it! I like the photo with the cat too!
    .-= Sarah Wallis´s last blog ..Book Doll, Shadow Shot Sunday and Clowns =-.

• Reply Anna November 23, 2009 at 3:29 pm

I’m not sure. I think because it’s so different it just feels ‘wrong’ somehow.

Can’t put my finger on it…….it maybe that I like the permanence of a fireplace and the idea of it forming the ‘bones’ of a room.

Anna x
    .-= Anna´s last blog ..Balance =-.

• Reply Keely November 23, 2009 at 3:34 pm

Ahhh that is so cool! I love it!
    .-= Keely´s last blog ..Feeling Old =-.

• Reply nina November 23, 2009 at 3:45 pm

I love it !!! But I would also like some sort of glass protector…
    .-= nina´s last blog ..If it makes you happy! =-.

• Reply karen paisley November 23, 2009 at 3:51 pm

That looks so great!! I have no need for one here in Brisbane as we only get a couple of weeks of coolish weather – but I’d still like one anyway!!
    We are almost in summer here and its sooooooo hot!
    We are having Tuesday Tea Party today – drop in for a cup of tea :-)
    .-= karen paisley´s last blog ..Join Patsy and I – Tuesday Tea For Two!! =-.

• Reply Deb November 23, 2009 at 3:56 pm

I have a fireplace that you don’t need a chimney for. I wonder if this is something you could do there too? This is not the one we have (it was already in our house, so I don’t know where the prev. owner got it) but, maybe this will help you? Not nearly as cool as that one you posted though http://www.factorydirectfireplaces.com/strasburg-cherry-electric-fireplace.html

• Reply Mausumi November 23, 2009 at 3:59 pm

It looks amazing!
    .-= Mausumi´s last blog ..Sunday & Romance =-.

• Reply joanna goddard November 23, 2009 at 4:03 pm

• Reply H is for Home November 23, 2009 at 4:04 pm

We’ve just had the chimney sweep in this week who’s discovered that our chimney’s collapse,d so we can’t light our fire this winter before having the very dirty job of dismantling the chimney & rebuilding it done…

Maybe getting one of these beauties would be a better idea… I wonder if my other half would fall for my idea ;o)

• Reply rayna diane November 23, 2009 at 4:08 pm

That’s really cool! and they aren’t boring nor do they look like the ones you put outdoors on your deck! I visited the Loft site and I really like the first one posted, the Cupola Round wall fireplace.

also, as its my first time visiting your little home here I can’t help but enjoy. every detail is so well thought out, even the area behind the comment form! really quite lovely!

• Reply Diana November 23, 2009 at 4:11 pm

GORGEOUS!! Wow. wow. wow.
    .-= Diana´s last blog ..Hump Day Happiness =-.

• Reply Jane November 23, 2009 at 4:20 pm

That is amazing. I am not very scientific so I don’t know how the no smoke thing works but what a brilliant idea. Fire adds so much to a room… especially in those long winters you have.
    .-= Jane´s last blog ..Through the looking glass =-.

• Reply Lydia, Clueless Crafter November 23, 2009 at 4:34 pm

I would love to have a fireplace like this for the drafty areas of my apartment.

Unfortunately, this design is much to modern for my space. I’d like something more classic, if you ever find one!
    .-= Lydia, Clueless Crafter´s last blog ..Zippy, Pithy Elsa Maxwell Quotes for Thanksgiving =-.

• Reply lindsay November 23, 2009 at 4:36 pm

Looks great, but really how much heat could it generate? And I agree with the others, that cat looks pretty cautious, and I would be too near that flame.

• Reply mo November 23, 2009 at 4:39 pm

i think of toddlers cooking dolls and pillows

• Reply alex November 23, 2009 at 4:55 pm

Love, love the stance of the cat in this photo. I, too, have been looking for a fireplace since they are common where I live and I seemed to have taken on the only house that does not have one. I miss it plus, I’m worried about the whole “Santa Getting In” thing.
    .-= alex´s last blog ..Breaking Up Is Easier with Music =-.

• Reply Patrizia November 23, 2009 at 5:24 pm

I love the concept but the design remindsme of a disco ball. I wouldn’t get this myself :P
    .-= Patrizia´s last blog ..Piggy Purse =-.

• Reply suswhit November 23, 2009 at 5:32 pm

Poor cat is trying to figure out why it can’t lay in front of that fire! Too high! Too high!

• Reply Catherine November 23, 2009 at 5:57 pm

That’s so awesome! I think the mirror-mosaic interior is what sold me.
    .-= Catherine´s last blog ..Lights and Lace =-.

• Reply Julia November 23, 2009 at 6:01 pm

I love it – I wonder if it really warms up a space.

• Reply Lisa - Handmade Evolution November 23, 2009 at 6:08 pm

That is gorgeous! So creative and definitely looks better than our waterford gas fireplace (such an eyesore IMO). Now I have an alternative… thanks for sharing!
    .-= Lisa – Handmade Evolution´s last blog ..Forsya Fashion Show ~ Vancouver =-.

• Reply Interior Fashionista November 23, 2009 at 6:45 pm

Love it! Would look amazing in my dining room! Price?
    .-= Interior Fashionista´s last blog .."A woman who doesn’t wear perfume has no future." ~ Coco Chanel =-.

• Reply Alexis November 23, 2009 at 7:14 pm

AMAZING!! Especially for those of us living in apartments/townhomes. Great find!!

• Reply MsUnreliable November 23, 2009 at 9:39 pm

Love it! It doesn’t get quite cold enough here to warrant a fireplace of any sort, but this is so beautiful I might just make an exception!

xx Kit
    .-= MsUnreliable´s last blog ..Rock Around the Clock =-.

• Reply Mary November 23, 2009 at 10:14 pm

It’s beautiful! I love it! Have you seen these? http://www.ecosmartfire.com/en/home

• Reply sarah November 23, 2009 at 10:24 pm

Oh my gosh I love it! And I want it! It would make for some lovely, cozy nights in!

• Reply lux November 24, 2009 at 1:46 am

personally, i’m obsessed with this thing!
    my boyfriend and i live in a house that has no heat, and is very very poorly insulated. we don’t have the option of building anything that could potentially burn the place down (what a shame), and we were trying to find a heater that wouldn’t plug into the wall. of course this is the dream come true that we found thanks to google, but it’s about 700x more expensive than our make-money-by-art lives can afford.

i’ve scoured the internet trying to find information on how to build something similar. i know the ethanol & everything would be a HUGE leap to try and obtain and we would probably come up nil, but have you come across anything like that while you were searching?

• Reply starletstarlet November 24, 2009 at 1:55 am

OMG, that’s exactly what I want (and need)!!

I might be missing something, but I can’t seem to find where I can buy it and how much it cost?
    .-= starletstarlet´s last blog .. ~ So many inspirations, so little time, so low of a budget :P… =-.

• Reply decor8 November 24, 2009 at 5:22 am

StarletStarlet – I think it’s a concept and hasn’t been picked up yet by a manufacturer — at least that is what seems to be the case.

• Reply Jutta November 24, 2009 at 2:36 am

I love it.
    I live in an old building and it used to have a fireplace and still has the chimney, and I’ve dreamed about building a new fireplace. But with the new regulations we can’t have it in the same flue with the sauna and heating system. So we’d either have to give up the sauna (never!) or change oil heating into something else (probably some day we will). But until then something like that would be perfect :)
    .-= Jutta´s last blog ..Mansikin perhe =-.

• Reply diana strinati baur November 24, 2009 at 4:50 am

I’m not sure either. It makes me very nervous, this kind of thing. especially in an apartment setting with a lot of wood.

BUT, the post egged me on to tell you, Holly, something I know from my (many many many) apartment searches in Hamburg. Often, especially in newer construction, there will be a chimneys built into the original building which are sort of there in case someone wants to add a wood burning stove. This was the case in 2 of the 3 apartments we had in Hamburg. (The second actually had a fireplace). You might, even if it is a rental, be able to add a wood burning stove. Just put it on the “questions” list for the realtor or owner …. if there is a chimney available in the apartment to which to connect a wood burning stove.
    .-= diana strinati baur´s last blog ..Construction: New Roof and Walls =-.

• Reply decor8 November 24, 2009 at 5:21 am

Diana – THANK YOU for the great advice, I will do this!!!

• Reply jamie November 24, 2009 at 7:02 am

that is so cool! i feel it would not quite deliver on the coziness factor of a real fire place or wood burning stove but what a great alternative. and it’s fun and shiny!

• Reply belinda November 24, 2009 at 7:33 am

oooh how fantastically glam! almost makes me wish winter was cold enough here to warrant buying one. almost!!!
    .-= belinda´s last blog ..project tuesday: fabric dresser knobs =-.

• Reply Beth perry November 24, 2009 at 8:27 am

I used this post as my “daily inspo” on Dirty Laundry’s FB page!

I love your blog and will be adding it to my blog’s sidebar! Thanks for the beautiful inspiration! Have a wonderful day!
    .-= Beth perry´s last blog ..Secret Garden =-.

• Reply Beth perry November 24, 2009 at 8:27 am

oops! I wanted to leave you the link to where I posted your inspo!

.-= Beth perry´s last blog ..Secret Garden =-.

• Reply Sarah November 24, 2009 at 8:37 am

I love this idea, although makes me kind of nervous to have a fire just sitting in the room, with the idea of no chimney but it must work. There is nothing better than a fire, especially on cold dark nights. Perfect solution to more modern places that don’t have a fireplace.

• Reply rochelle November 24, 2009 at 10:35 am

I. Love. It. Too. – I wonder if you could use it outside???
    .-= rochelle´s last blog ..Tool Tables for the Garden =-.

• Reply RitaRosa November 24, 2009 at 12:51 pm

I bought ELLE Decoration Germany today (Dec/Jan issue), they have a two page special on How to do… ein offener Kamin. They seem to be obsessed how to fashionably accessorize the fireplace (the matches that go with your fireplace….) You might want to look for the magazine the next time you relax in the Kaffeehaus nearby.

• Reply decor8 November 24, 2009 at 3:24 pm

Ritarosa thank you, I’ll look for that!!!

• Reply Meredith November 24, 2009 at 2:38 pm

Oh! I love love love this. This would be the perfect solution for my tiny, fireplace-less home! I do hope someone decides to make this product! I can totally see IKEA selling it.
    .-= Meredith´s last blog ..When Eight is not Enough… =-.

• Reply RichAnt November 24, 2009 at 3:03 pm

Oh how lovely it looks! That is an awesome find However the cat looks a little too curious. That may possibly be a safety issue. Sense I have furry little children as well.

• Reply Marit November 25, 2009 at 3:25 pm

so genious and cool!
    .-= Marit´s last blog ..Tisdagstema – rund =-.

• Reply Susan November 25, 2009 at 4:34 pm

Blomus has some nice ones – I think its a German company too. But beware – the ethanol cartridges are pricey! You’re burning dollars per minute while it’s on!!! …could be why this type of product isn’t really popular with the mass market yet…

• Reply peachtree November 27, 2009 at 2:37 am

Love it!

• Reply fireplace blowers December 31, 2009 at 11:22 am

Very interesting, but I’m worried that the cat will knock that thing over – with disastrous results!

• Reply Michelle September 20, 2010 at 11:59 pm

I wasn’t sure about a portable fireplace at first, mainly because I was imagining it to be masculine and bulky looking, but now that I see this one, my advice is yes have one, it’s gorgeous, so chic and so you. Remember the rule of design – only choose what you love and you will never go wrong. x