Travel

High Road House

November 24, 2009

I was tweeting a few moments ago asking my friends if anyone knew of a good hotel in London and Little Miss Wedding tweeted back that she suggests the High Road House in West London. I looked them up and I like what I see! I’m thinking of inquiring now, as I’d love to spend a few days there sometime soon to visit some museums and do a little shopping. And my husband keeps bugging me about it… he LOVES all things British and is dying to go back.

High Road House

Check out these exquisite rooms at the High Road House. Don’t you love all of the white with shots of yellow, red and gray? Dreamy… I want the gray and yellow wallpaper in the dining area. Oh my, gorgeous.

High Road House

High Road House

High Road House

High Road House

Now I’m wondering who designed this place, it’s fantastic, huh? Anyone know who did this lovely work? I also love how they managed to warm up all of the white with textured carpets (they look almost like sisal don’t they?) and white paneled walls. Very subtle, but it does the trick because these bedrooms do not look at all sterile or cold.

(images: high road house)

You Might Also Like

48 Comments

• Reply Anna November 24, 2009 at 4:43 pm

I like this very much. Particularly the shot with the grey wallpaper/panelling and the yellow lamp. Just beautiful.

Off to think where and how I could use that yellow/grey combination.

Enjoy London – I live only half an hour away on the train but I just don’t go enough.
    .-= Anna´s last blog ..A little polka dot goodness and some repurposing…. =-.

• Reply Katie Stephenson November 24, 2009 at 5:03 pm

Wow, that’s really pretty. I’ve never stayed in a hotel that unique. I wonder how affordable it would be.
    .-= Katie Stephenson´s last blog ..first giveaway from silhouette artist jenny lee fowler =-.

• Reply Melissa de la Fuente November 24, 2009 at 5:14 pm

This is gorgeous…I love all of the white and the pops of yellow. *sigh*
    How lovely…
    xo
    Melis
    .-= Melissa de la Fuente´s last blog ..Cheap & Chic: inspired by art on etsy =-.

• Reply Jane November 24, 2009 at 5:16 pm

How lovely that hotel looks! Here are two more you might like:
    40 winks – a teeny tiny boutique hotel in east London, admittedly not the most happening area, but very easy to get into central London and you could walk to Columbia Road Flower Market and Spitalfields from there. And just look at these rooms! http://www.40winks.org/index.html
    Rough Luxe – very quirky looking place near King’s Cross.
    I love looking at both of these places just for ideas, sadly I don’t have much excuse to find a hotel in London, but they do look like they would be such fun to stay in! Hope you do decide to take a trip, I would love to see you blog about London through your eyes :)

• Reply Jen November 24, 2009 at 5:25 pm

I am loving the pops of color. Beautiful and friendly!

• Reply cristin @ simplified bee November 24, 2009 at 5:28 pm

Looks like a great place to stay!

Happy turkey day too,
    cristin
    .-= cristin @ simplified bee´s last blog ..Organizing – 5 Gift Wrap Storage Solutions =-.

• Reply Lydia, Clueless Crafter November 24, 2009 at 5:29 pm

I love travelling and love hotels. While the design interests me greatly, so does the service. There is nothing better than cozying in bed while someone prepares you delicious pastries, farm eggs, and piping hot coffee.

Be sure that will be part of this hotel’s magnificent design.
    .-= Lydia, Clueless Crafter´s last blog ..Zippy, Pithy Elsa Maxwell Quotes for Thanksgiving =-.

• Reply Kate November 24, 2009 at 6:04 pm

That does look like a lovely hotel, I like the silver armchairs. I think I could sink a couple of cocktails there!

This could also help you in your quest http://www.mrandmrssmith.com/luxury-hotels/united-kingdom/london/hotels/?gclid=COmRpqHepJ4CFeZr4wod3EHHmw

I look forward to reading about it.
    .-= Kate´s last blog ..Drive by Dahlia =-.

• Reply lindsay November 24, 2009 at 6:29 pm

What a pretty place to rest your head. I could definetly relax there!
    .-= lindsay´s last blog ..Sugar Rush. =-.

• Reply Heather November 24, 2009 at 7:24 pm

It looks like the perfect Holly hotel!
    .-= Heather´s last blog ..Color Me a Song =-.

• Reply luann November 24, 2009 at 8:47 pm

everything is so cool and crisp…love it…i want to dive into those sheets for a long winters nap……..

• Reply Erin November 24, 2009 at 8:53 pm

Friends of mine who design hotels, kitchens, bars etc have introduced me to this website for finding hotels. It is highly recommended.

• Reply tara - scoutie girl November 24, 2009 at 9:41 pm

i love the little off-white vintage-looking radios that were captured on the nightstands in a couple of the photos. would love to know where they came from!

and i think they really add to what you said about the subtle details warming up the white interiors.

great find!
    .-= tara – scoutie girl´s last blog ..sponsor feature :: luminous dream designs =-.

• Reply Laura M M Johnson November 24, 2009 at 9:56 pm

I really really want one of the radio alarm clocks in the bedroom pictures. Hmmmm…wonder where I could get my hands on one…

• Reply Abbey November 24, 2009 at 11:27 pm

I HIGHLY reccommend the Rough Luxe hotel as well. It is a fabulous bed and breakfast, but with an old world hotel feel. Leo, the manager makes you feel right at home as you arrive with warm baked muffins or at night while chatting with him about the hotel’s decor over a bottle of wine in the dining room. It literally has a “rough luxe” vibe and is truly a gem to stay at!

• Reply Vicki November 24, 2009 at 11:59 pm

Great inspiration! I want to go too.

• Reply silvina November 25, 2009 at 12:58 am

I love the place and the colors they choose, simple and perfect.
    .-= silvina´s last blog ..luján & guadalupe podestá =-.

• Reply Mausumi November 25, 2009 at 1:30 am

I really love the last bedroom with the all white and the red. So good combo! And as you say, it doesn’t look cold and sterile!

Sadly, I can only afford staying in youth hostels when I’m in London, but it’s better than nothing! I love shopping in london and all the museums! :)
    .-= Mausumi´s last blog ..How to live in the moment =-.

• Reply elaina November 25, 2009 at 1:50 am

high road house looks amazing! it’s designed by the equally amazing ilse crawford, i do believe. she also designed the olde bell and the crown inns which look lovely too.

• Reply Susannah November 25, 2009 at 4:01 am

Gorgeous! and, coincidentally, when i move back to London next year (yay!) i’ll be moving to Chiswick :)
    .-= Susannah´s last blog ..~ The contents of my head ~ =-.

• Reply Lizzie November 25, 2009 at 4:18 am

The hotel (and restaurant below) were designed by Studio Ilse

http://www.studioilse.com/ Ilse Crawford used to be Editor of Elle Deco and has written a number of books. She is very well respected in the UK

The restaurant with rooms is owned by the same people as the Electric brasserie and Soho House (also in NY).. and the same designers did all – they also recently refurbed Kettners restaurant in Soho London.

Other hotels to try are the Zetter (although rooms are quite small) Portobello Hotel, The Rookery in Clerkenwell, Boundary in Shoreditch and the Hoxton

• Reply Susannah November 25, 2009 at 4:20 am

ha! upon further inspection i realised i had brunch in their brasserie the last time i was in London – i recognised the fabulous flooring they have

.-= Susannah´s last blog ..~ The contents of my head ~ =-.

• Reply decor8 November 25, 2009 at 4:24 am

Susannah you are moving to London? Can I jump up and down now or when you actually do? This is SO exciting. We’ll be even closer. :)

• Reply Make, Do & Send November 25, 2009 at 4:31 am

I can not believe I didnt know about Highroad House when im in Chiswick all the time! Its not too central for museums ect but you would LOVE the chiswick high st. (check it out on google maps and you will see what I mean) and with good transport links you can just take the tube to do any sight seeing. You are near a lovely part of the river thames at Strand on the Green with lots of traditional little pubs that line the river that are great for hanging out at weekends and Kew gardens is a short cab ride away too! :)

• Reply karen November 25, 2009 at 5:34 am

Very tastefully done! I like it. I’m sure I’d be happy to stay there a few days too :-)

• Reply Sarah November 25, 2009 at 8:34 am

I had to comment on how beautiful this hotel is…very charming and sophisticated. Luckily, I stay with a friend in the UK so I don’t have to get a hotel, but if I did…this would be a required stay!!!

• Reply jen jafarzadeh November 25, 2009 at 9:36 am

wow, definitely making a note of this hotel for whenever I make it to London. I love all the use of Shaker peg racks in the hotel to hang up things.
    .-= jen jafarzadeh´s last blog ..broccoli with cheese sauce + spinach croquettes =-.

• Reply Annabel November 25, 2009 at 10:10 am

High road House is lovely- I’ve held events there before, but… it’s too far out of central London to make it a good base for sightseeing, people watching and museum trawling.

If you’re prepared to spend that amount on a hotel I’d suggest comparing hotels on http://www.mrandmrssmith.com

• Reply Rebecca November 25, 2009 at 11:15 am

You could also try here:

.-= Rebecca ´s last blog ..Dilemma =-.

• Reply Pixie November 25, 2009 at 2:28 pm

What a beautiful hotel…and the best part is it doesn’t seem “hotel-y” if that makes any sense. lol. It’s like a very chic home.
    .-= Pixie´s last blog ..Chicago Pixie =-.

• Reply Cassandra November 25, 2009 at 3:06 pm

Hi Holly

I just stayed at the Olde Bell and it was so fantastic we’ll be staying there at Christmas – so High Road House should be great. Chiswick is quit suburban and on a frustrating tube line but does have a nice high street/ You could also stay at http://www.malmaison-london.com which is in Shoreditch. 40 Winks is lovely to be in but he might forget your breakfast…. and is a tricky part of town. Terence Conran’s new hotel is also lovely.

Hope that helps
    .-= Cassandra´s last blog ..To the quilters =-.

• Reply Pen November 25, 2009 at 3:27 pm

I’d have to agree with Annabel, High Road House is fab, and Chiswick (as Make Do & Send says) has lots of appeal in itself, but is quite a hike from the West End, museums and big shops etc.

I’d add my voice to the recommendations for the Mr & Mrs Smith site, and you should definitely also check out the Firmdale group, which has some very central properties and some very elegant decor – although possibly not quite as cool as High Road House or Rough Luxe! http://www.firmdale.com

I’ll also second the recommendations for the Zetter and Hoxton hotels, the latter in particular is very good value for London.

• Reply decor8 November 25, 2009 at 5:49 pm

Did you say Colin Firth. As in actor Colin Firth? Oh my. I think my heart just started to beat double time. :)

• Reply Esther November 25, 2009 at 3:45 pm

Holly you would most definitely love High Road House and Chiswick itself, ok I may well be just a teeny bit biased as I have lived here for the past 15 years :)

Personally I like the fact that it isn’t right in the heart of London but it’s still easy to get into town to do the sights etc if you fancy or head down to the River and Kew Gardens.

Plus there’s also Colin Firth’s wonderful eco design store too :)

• Reply Esther November 27, 2009 at 3:30 am

Oh yes, although sadly he is never in the shop when I pop in :)

Seriously though, I love the whole concept of the store and interior design practice.

Have a great Thanksgiving weekend.
    .-= Esther´s last blog ..Chris Gibbs – One of a kind =-.

• Reply Alexis November 27, 2009 at 9:53 am

I live in Chiswick – just moved there to a big ‘project’ house (which is why I’m reading decor8)!
    Highroad house is worth a visit just for the floor (food and ambience is good too though) and there are nice local independent shops. My American friend in London loves Chiswick as it reminds her of home. The Sohohouse group has just opened a new hotel in Soho if you did want to stay nearer to the center of town. I think it’s been designed by Ilse Crawford too.

Eco, the shop, are doing some work for us on our house, I haven’t seen Colin Firth in there, but I have seen him riding his bike in Chiswick before… so keep your eyes on the cyclists.

• Reply Cat Sitter in the City November 27, 2009 at 12:20 pm

Gorgeous rooms. Love the simplicity. I’m ready to check in now!
    .-= Cat Sitter in the City´s last blog ..Happy Thanksgiving Day, CSitC Readers! =-.

• Reply Nick November 27, 2009 at 7:51 pm

Looks like most of those fabulous wallpapers are the work of Marthe Armitage, a British artisan in her 70s who rolls out all the designs by hand!

• Reply Barbara Gilbert November 27, 2009 at 10:42 pm

Love the little pops of color, they add such drama.

• Reply Penny Patten November 29, 2009 at 11:13 am

Looks very lush and cozy.
    .-= Penny Patten´s last blog ..A Time To Be Thankful/ What Are You Thankful For… =-.

• Reply Vicki December 1, 2009 at 10:57 am

its an Ilse Crawford space (of Elle Decoration and Bare Magazines fame)…thank you for sharing

• Reply Jess December 1, 2009 at 1:32 pm

I’ve stayed there and it really is amazing! It’s one of many Soho House locations in London but one of few that has hotel accommodations. If you are ever in NY you should stay at the Soho House there, it’s really nice too. Also the food downstairs at their bistro is insane! Highly recommended! Sleep eat stay!

• Reply Little Miss Wedding December 3, 2009 at 11:16 am

ARe you going to stay there then? isn’t it lovely. I spent the day of my wedding getting ready there and then spent my first married night there!
    .-= Little Miss Wedding´s last blog ..Winter Wedding Warmth with Fuchsia, Teal and Pewter =-.

• Reply decor8 December 3, 2009 at 11:37 am

Winter – I’m not sure… we are still trying to decide upon a date in which to fly up to London. It’s a busy month for us both with deadline and family-related appointments but I really want to get up there and shop and hit the museums and sales…

• Reply Rebecca December 8, 2009 at 5:05 pm

Or you could stay at this little gem : http://www.40winks.org/index.html

• Reply decor8 December 8, 2009 at 5:19 pm

Rebecca: I WISH! In my dreams… :)

• Reply juliet January 22, 2010 at 11:45 pm

Do you happen to know where their brightly colored throws and beds are from? If not, do you know where I might look to find something similar? Thanks!!!

• Reply stuart morris July 5, 2011 at 7:13 pm

hi, my name is stuart ,(s m decorating)my firm done all the decorating work at highroadhouse,shoreditch house and babbington house for nik jones ,and all the cowshed outlets ,the main contractor was gcm from brighton,any question i be more than pleased to answer