Happy Monday!

Good morning! Did you have a nice weekend? I hope that you did! I’ve been very busy since I saw you last – never a dull moment when one is still in the “honeymoon stage” of a relocation. There is so much to absorb and do! One thing that I did was attend a beautifully organized arts and crafts show called the Weihnachtsschau for Kunst Handwerk & Design on Saturday.

Lab Partners

Imagine two floors in an all white gallery-like setting with nothing but jewelry, papers, wood, glass, felt, candles, ceramics and handmade textiles and all for sale, you could purchase and take home any item that caught your eye. I enjoyed seeing so many lovely handmade things presented in a gallery setting where you’d expect sculpture or painting, it elevated craft works to where I feel they belong — displayed as pieces to respect and cherish for many years. The only thing about this presentation that made it difficult was that some things felt too “fine” — I almost felt intimidated and I did not want to touch anything fearing it may not be the right thing to do in such a setting. And in some cases, I could not touch items to try them on — all of the jewelry was locked in glass cases where you could only write down the number and take a slip to the cashier in the front of the building requesting to see the item. This all felt entirely too complicated and given the crowds, I was not willing to navigate them to ask someone to unlock a case. And as a result I left this wonderful exhibit without purchasing a few of the pieces that I liked so much. Which leads to be think about a study I read once about touch and how researchers found that if you touch it you will buy it. Here’s the article, it’s fascinating – I’ll quote a bit of it below.

“The amazing part of this study is that people can become almost immediately attached to something as insignificant as a mug,” said study leader James Wolf, who began the work while he was a graduate student at Ohio State. “By simply touching the mug and feeling it in their hands, many people begin to feel like the mug is, in fact, their mug. Once they begin to feel it is theirs, they are willing to go to greater lengths to keep it.”

I still enjoyed the event very much and the overall offerings, the presentation was exquisite and of course the level of skill and talent shown left me speechless in some areas of the exhibition — I found things that were truly impressive examples of talent and craftsmanship. And surprisingly enough, prices were affordable. I expected some items to cost double or even triple. I didn’t walk away with anything but I’m thinking of returning this week to give the show a second look because downstairs I did find an item that I loved, and that I touched and surprise! I have been thinking about it ever since so I think that study just may be pretty accurate when it comes to my shopping behavior.

What did you do this weekend?

Buy 2 Get 1 Free

To start things off today I thought I’d share with you the latest prints from Lab Partners called Pen Pals. Sarah Labieniec was nice enough to send me her new work last night and because I’m a fan I couldn’t resist sharing them here this morning. Sarah also has a sale going on right now in her shop: buy 2 prints get one free! The free print must be of equal or lesser value and this offer is valid only until end of business TODAY, November 30, 2009.

(images: lab partners)

Posted by decor8 in Arts + Crafts on November 30, 2009

1. Laura Evans commented
    November 30th, 2009 at 6:29am

i never knew you were living in germany … hope you had a wonderful thanksgiving a great weekend … we got to visit rothenburg’s christmas market & it was wonderful! love your insights & the prints are gorgeous!
    .-= Laura Evans´s last blog ..Above the Tree Line – 14×11 original fine art photographic print =-.

2. jamie commented
    November 30th, 2009 at 6:56am

wow that study is so interesting! i will be more careful about touching things now when i am supposed to be just “window shopping”. and love those prints!

3. decor8 commented
    November 30th, 2009 at 7:25am

Hi Laura – Yes I just moved here in August. :)

4. cheryl oz commented
    November 30th, 2009 at 7:38am

My weekend started off with a lovely Thanksgiving with my family at our home. My husband & I saw a few movies and did a little shopping. The days following that I started loading up my Etsy store with new items. Notecards, greeting cards and a few original paintings. More stuff is coming soon, it just takes time.

5. Nem commented
    November 30th, 2009 at 8:33am

I had lovely weekend, thank you. :)

That article is very interesting. I wonder how that ‘touch it, buy it’ affects the customers when they are shopping online. I guess that’s why photographs are so important!
    .-= Nem´s last blog ..Friday Inspiration =-.

6. Frau Haselmayer commented
    November 30th, 2009 at 8:38am

This crafts show sounds really interesting…too bad Hannover is too far away from Nuremberg for a little day trip.
    I completely agree with the “you touch it, you buy it” theory. I love to touch, to feel things before buying. And if things are locked away I am often to shy to ask…so I most likely end up not buying them…

I think it’s sad that kids are so often told not to touch things…the haptic, the feeling of textures and shapes makes adds so much to a product or an object. It makes such a difference if something is feeling good. Or not.

7. decor8 commented
    November 30th, 2009 at 8:55am

Nem – Good point. You know what’s funny… I think you’re right, the photos do that for me because they connect me with the product in a way where I can see it in my home. If I cannot “see” it in my mind’s eye, then I often do not buy it online so photos have to be really good or else I don’t buy.

8. sidsel_._ commented
    November 30th, 2009 at 8:55am

love the prints – just saved the first print this morning via Poppytalk for inspiration – and now saw it here too. I also love the article. All the best -and a sweet and cozy december to you!
    .-= sidsel_._´s last blog ..Snow berrries =-.

9. caro commented
    November 30th, 2009 at 9:43am

Great prints! On saturday me and my boyfriend visited the “Weihnachtsmarkt” and a football game in Mainz. I love the atmosphere in a big stadion. It was very funny. And I was also busy preparing for the “1. Weihnachts-Wichteln” that I organized together with my friend nadine. Maybe you visit my blog and become a part of it!
    .-= caro´s last blog ..1. Weihnachts-Wichteln =-.

10. Melissa de la Fuente commented
    November 30th, 2009 at 10:24am

Oooh….I wish I could go but, I would definitely need to be able to touch things.:) That is fascinating…. I adore these new prints from lab partners. Wow…off to check them all out! :)
    xo
    Melis
    .-= Melissa de la Fuente´s last blog ..Monday: inspired by Hadley Hutton… =-.

11. susan commented
    November 30th, 2009 at 10:53am

i love those prints they are so pretty! i love to wander around craft fairs it’s so inspiring! we had a nice weekend with the kiddos :)
    .-= susan´s last blog ..Back to regular scheduled program. =-.

12. MEW commented
    November 30th, 2009 at 12:06pm

Thanks for the bit about touching and buying. I am headed, with my studio mates to Renegade Craft fair this weekend, and our goal is to get people to pick up our ceramic objects. People are often intimidated to interact with them, but they feel so wonderful to the touch. Thanks again for the timely article! :)

13. Jessica commented
    November 30th, 2009 at 12:10pm

What an interesting quote! I find these kinds of thing so very interesting; i.e., how we all behave in some similar ways sociologically. Lovely prints!

14. Alisha commented
    November 30th, 2009 at 6:44pm

I always love discovering a new Esty artist. Thanks for posting those print images.

15. Fresh Design Blog commented
    December 1st, 2009 at 7:35am

I love those prints, so cute!
    .-= Fresh Design Blog´s last blog ..Yuto sake set at Habitat and 20% off =-.

16. kt commented
    December 1st, 2009 at 9:14am

i was just thinking of how important touch is today. my daughter had finished a book about Helen Keller and we had been dicussing how she (Helen) learned through touch. i am one of those who loves to pick up items in a store and here in italy it is not so common to do this, so i do walk out of stores empty handed quite a bit just for this reason i am sure.
    kt
    .-= kt´s last blog ..scraps garland =-.

17. Arts and Crafts Shops commented
    December 1st, 2009 at 10:27am

I always try to be a good artist. So I love everybody with my heart.

18. LeeAnn commented
    December 4th, 2009 at 9:21am

Those prints are so pretty! For me, they remind me of my bedroom back in the 70’s .. I had those colors and that style decor. Thank you!

19. kim johnson commented
    March 3rd, 2011 at 11:53pm

The prints are lovely! Love the happy spring colors and retro feel! Thanks for sharing!
    kim johnson´s last blog post ..Vintage TypewritersThe Lost Art of Writing a Letter