Home Tours

Inspiring Home: Helena Schaeder Söderberg

December 2, 2009

I had the honor of profiling a few rooms in the home of Swedish graphic designer Helena Schaeder Söderberg, also known to her Flickr friends as Craft & Creativity, this past May for Cookie magazine (here).

Inspiring Home: Helena Schaeder Söderberg

Ever since I wrote that article for Cookie, I’ve been following Helena and enjoy all of the photos that she uploads on Flickr. Helena has delightful spaces carved out for her two toddlers, but also many for her and her husband and their cats in their Vallentuna, Sweden home. I’d define their nest as bright, loving, spirited, creative and so very inspiring.

Inspiring Home: Helena Schaeder Söderberg

Helena describes her personal style as, “A neutral base, we use a lot of white–then accentuate with happy colors and a mix of old and new stuff. And add a bit of romance to that. My husband prefers more strict designs, but he often surrenders to my ideas and luckily enough seems very satisfied with the result.”

Inspiring Home: Helena Schaeder Söderberg

Helena shares many views of her home on Flickr and I’ve rounded up only a few glimpses today that I thought you’d enjoy because they celebrate creativity and cozy living. I find so much inspiration from her arrangement of things and through the many patterns and colors in which she surrounds herself. And I love her beautiful cat! :)

Would you like to know three of her decorating tips? Helena shared these with me…

1. Keep it simple: use one base color and accentuate with color in the details.
2. Be creative: make things yourself that are unique and
3. Put away stuff that you don’t like and highlight the ones you love.

Doesn’t this space make you feel right at home?

(images: helena schaeder söderberg)

17 Comments

• Reply Janet December 2, 2009 at 7:32 am

The chair, love love love…
    .-= Janet´s last blog ..Recycled Homes =-.

• Reply bright and blithe December 2, 2009 at 7:50 am

Oh, have you ever seen so much eye candy in one place? Unbelievable.
    .-= bright and blithe´s last blog ..advent =-.

• Reply megmanionsilliker December 2, 2009 at 8:12 am

so wonderful. i instantly feel relaxed. now i want to go get rid of all my clutter!!
    .-= megmanionsilliker´s last blog ..[november morning] =-.

• Reply Kathi @ allthingswhite December 2, 2009 at 8:18 am

I love the simple look here! And the happy and fun color that is just like icing on the cake. This really helped me decide about a piece of furniture I’ve been considering- thank you!
    .-= Kathi @ allthingswhite´s last blog ..Tiny Antique Angel =-.

• Reply Chelsea December 2, 2009 at 8:38 am

Lovely and whimsical! It looks like dreams and magic can happen there! If only my hubby allowed all that girly-ness in our house!
    .-= Chelsea´s last blog ..Hump Day Bliss =-.

• Reply Cary December 2, 2009 at 9:02 am

oh Holly…Love it all.Ofcourse.
    .-= Cary´s last blog ..Greengate and the happiest people in the world… =-.

• Reply Sarah Matthews December 2, 2009 at 9:14 am

Love it! the whole shebang! I love the way Swedes do the all-white schemes with punches of bright color – it really is unique and so identifiable as ‘their’ look and decor…

• Reply Melissa de la Fuente December 2, 2009 at 9:32 am

Absolutely! Comfy and at home…..and absolutely beautiful! A happy and lovely home, thanks for sharing Holly dear!
    xo
    Melis
    .-= Melissa de la Fuente´s last blog ..It’s my bag, baby! =-.

• Reply Beth perry December 2, 2009 at 9:53 am

beautiful colors!
    .-= Beth perry´s last blog ..PRIMA HEADBANDS AND BROOCHES =-.

• Reply juliette December 2, 2009 at 10:09 am

that is a great use of space in the front entry hall area! what a clever little shelf!

like the tip about one base color – very true and easy to follow!
    .-= juliette´s last blog ..Crafting for Advent =-.

• Reply honey living December 2, 2009 at 10:19 am

beautiful! i love how her style is a nice mix of spare and warm.
    .-= honey living´s last blog ..desperately sequin susan =-.

• Reply julie December 2, 2009 at 11:28 am

so cheery and bright. I love the white as a foil to the rest of the bright, poppy colors. Thanks again Miss Holly for sharing with us a great home, and I am excited about the previous post _ Orla Kiely bedding, I have been spying it on their int’l site and love the boxes they come in too!

• Reply lindsay December 2, 2009 at 1:04 pm

I love this place! I hope our next house has an upstairs, or better yet a third floor attic where I can put bunk beds, like the ones pictured, for the girls and all their friends. I think it would be awesome for them to have their own hideaway.

• Reply Anna December 2, 2009 at 5:20 pm

This is lovely – just spent a good few minutes browsing through her flickr pictures. Her images seem very ‘real’ and fun….I want to move in!
    .-= Anna´s last blog ..Apartment Therapy Cure Week 7 and a confession =-.

• Reply Susan L December 2, 2009 at 8:14 pm

I’ve been stuck for years trying to work out how we should do things and your post has absolutely sold me. White is the way to go with touches of other colours. Which is really weird when I’d already purchased slightly off white paint to repaint an old chest of drawers. I just can’t believe how good this all looks.
    .-= Susan L´s last blog ..Project 365 Wed 02 Dec 09 =-.

• Reply Penny Patten December 2, 2009 at 8:31 pm

Love the chair and flower wall paper!
    .-= Penny Patten´s last blog ..A Time To Be Thankful/ What Are You Thankful For… =-.

• Reply Christine Brennan December 5, 2009 at 6:30 pm

I especially like the wall with the collage. She kind gets the feel of simplicity and sparseness but in a few spots there is quite a lot of fun stuff to look at. cb