Rooms

Wallpaper at TapetenAgentur

December 4, 2009

Pattern! Pattern! Pattern! I really like this German wallpaper and wall decal distributor that Frau Mayer and Cat recently blogged, TapetenAgentur, for many reasons… It has an option to view the site in English (yay!) which is quite impressive. I also appreciate that they ship all over Europe, making their papers more accessible. I’m not sure if they ship abroad but you can certainly email them to inquire: info(at)TapetenAgentur.de.

Wallpaper at TapetenAgentur

These would be really great for kids or the young at heart. Sweet squirrels!

Wallpaper at TapetenAgentur

A little too busy for me, but in rooms that are spare, I can imagine using them.Especially the pattern over the blue sofa. That’s so beautiful!

Wallpaper at TapetenAgentur

I love the pale gray paper shown above, it looks gorgeous as if it were stitched by hand. I can see this in many rooms, especially a living room or bedroom. I don’t know if pink or blue are for me, but the gray…oh yes. Understated elegance with a touch of handmade.

I also appreciate their selection of papers, as you can see the diverse range is incredible and the photos on their site are just great. And did I mention that you can order samples that are large enough to frame or craft with in case you don’t end up ordering the actual paper? (Alina did this which looks sweet in her apartment. Clever recycling.) Of course, they charge for them but only a few Euros per sample. What makes them different than a paper company in your home town is that they have access to some lines that you may not be able to find locally like Deborah Bowness, Pip Studio and Aimée Wilder.

Wallpaper at TapetenAgentur

All six of these patterns are personal favorites — I would consider them for my own home. Above all, I think they’d be perfect for commercial spaces like shops and cafes.

Rosita is one of my favorite patterns (shown bottom left above white sofa with pink pillow) — I really like it’s strength — it stands on its own! I actually want to order it for a local cafe/bakery that just opened. You should see it, it’s in the most beautiful old building with soaring ceilings, old wooden floors, and massive windows with transoms that are rounded on top… oh it’s amazing in there. But the huge problem is the decoration. It’s so, so bad. Tacky doesn’t even fit, it’s not so much tacky as snooze fest boring. And I feel sad to even say anything negative about a new business but it’s really true. And not just my opinion because what does one opinion matter? You see others have whispered about it too. And as a result, they are getting little business despite their perfect location (directly in front of a busy bus stop!) and lovely sweets.

I’ve been toying with the idea of approaching them and saying, “Look, I’ll work for free just let me help you! With three simple changes you will see more traffic in this place”. First, that pendant needs to be replaced with something huge and dramatic (I could find something reasonably priced at Habitat or IKEA), the Rosita wallpaper needs to be installed on the back wall as a focal point, and you must play great music in here because none at all is boring me to tears!

And okay, I may not stop there. I’d also suggest products to add because currently they have what everyone else is selling so they certainly do not stand out. They need to sell some things that are new to this area, so customers know that they are the cafe where such and such is sold. I’d suggest inexpensive IKEA shelves to install on the wall to place the products to give it more style. Teas from Paris come to mind and perhaps some Scandinavian ceramics and a few Dutch things as well. I want to help them save their budding bakery but their current presentation and products will most certainly sink them… it’s so sterile and tacky with bad dark brown bookcases that are too short and too far from the walls and everything just screams 1985 in a very bad way. Would this be too bold? I don’t speak German fluently, if I did I think I’d walk in and do it — just lay out my plans on their counter and tell them “Do this, save your business!”. he he.

What would you do? And remember I do not speak fluent German…

(images: tapentenagentur)

32 Comments

• Reply Cecilie December 4, 2009 at 6:28 am

Why don’t you get someone to help you translate? You should also try to find the manager/owner of the place and talk to them personally. Perhaps try to find some background info as well? It always helps. A direct approach may be viewed in a negative manner…no one likes to be told their place stinks up front, no matter how good the intentions are…good luck!

• Reply decor8 December 4, 2009 at 6:41 am

Cecile I know, I would never walk in a be mean or so bold but in my heart I just want to wave a magic wand and show them the beauty of the bones in that cafe and how lovely it can be. I always have these transformation visions when I see commercial spaces that, in my opinion, do not show their true uniqueness and beauty.

• Reply decor8 December 4, 2009 at 6:42 am

And sorry, I did not spell your name correctly, it is Cecilie. My apologies. And I will do that… try to find some background info. You are right!!!!

• Reply Katie @ Making This Home December 4, 2009 at 6:59 am

haha – all I can think about in your situation is how much the people in our new country are known for speaking EXACTLY what they think, Holly. Interesting situation! Be assertive or not – but either way, I hope you suggest your idea to them. I’m sure you’re good at am gestures.

do yo know what level German you are at? I’m studying like crazy these days.
    Katie
    .-= Katie @ Making This Home´s last blog ..December in Berlin =-.

• Reply decor8 December 4, 2009 at 7:23 am

Katie – I’m still a beginner but maybe mid-beginner if that even makes sense. I still have to take courses but it’s a process — they want me to take 600 hours of German, 5 days a week, 5 hours per day (plus homework) and since I work full-time I simply cannot fit this intense course into my busy life. I’m going to meet with someone next week about a possible exception of some sort… But I still want to go to school, just not every single day for a year or more.

• Reply Sana December 4, 2009 at 7:10 am

haha, maybe you really SHOULD open your own bakery :)
    i don’t know what would i do – i really like the idea you approaching them and offering them help, but i don’t know wether they’ll find it insulting. maybe if you enter, say you like their treats, chat a little bit, then mention you are in the decorating business :) and you have a “vision” for their space.. maybe you could leave them your business card and mention you’ll do it for free and that they are actually doing YOU a favor because if other local shops like it, you’ll get more job!
    oh, i would really like you to do it because i’d love to see the pics!

• Reply decor8 December 4, 2009 at 7:21 am

Sana I LOVE your suggestion. I will go there today and “feel” them out…. And I do have business cards with my German address on them… ;)

• Reply Petra :) December 4, 2009 at 7:28 am

the looking like embroiderw wallpaper is *adorable* I use lot of this kind of embroidered, cotton fabric from India for my work :)

• Reply Sarah December 4, 2009 at 7:38 am

You know I love this question! When you have this sort of idea about how to help someone and on the one hand it seems completely reasonable and doable and on the other completely mad, what to do?! If you have a friend who speaks good german that might be a place to start-get a written proposal and give it to them with a big smile while you are buying a cake. I hope you let us know what you do!

• Reply Shanon December 4, 2009 at 8:35 am

Holly, I love the new style of wallpaper that is out there. It’s nothing like what people think when they think “wallpaper.” And I have the exact same thoughts as you about a new bakery in my neighborhood. It kills me to go inside because there was no creative special touch done to make it feel welcoming and to make it invite you to stay. I know all it would take is some cool lighting, some big comfy couches (from Craig’s list even!), some yummy art on the wall (highlighting great Etsy sellers of course!), and some color and texture on the wall. But it is sterile and yucky and does nothing to support the delicious (and high end priced) baked goods they sell.

If the place that you have in your area like this only knew what a wonderful opportunity they have just waiting for them…. Gah! If you do reach out the them, I seriously hope that they don’t take offense and that they let you help.
    .-= Shanon´s last blog ..~with humble thanks~ =-.

• Reply Tilly December 4, 2009 at 9:13 am

Don’t be shy- just try! In fact most of germans under 35 do speak at least some english – so maybe you will find a mix of both languages to understand each other? And if you let them now that you do not want to critize their bakery as it looks at the moment but just have some ideas how it would even look better… I bet they will not find it insulting but heartwarming, that some stranger honors their work and sees even more potential in it!

• Reply Lucy December 4, 2009 at 11:18 am

I think if you are noticing that their business is lacking, then i’m sure they know it too. Maybe they just aren’t creative, creativity is a gift. I really believe that you would be successful if you spoke to them, your blog is full of visual inpiration so i’m sure if you supplied them with visual evidence of what you could do for the building that houses their business then this would overcome the language barrier.

You have such creative talent and it’s right for you to share that. Like Sana said, it could work in your businesses favour too.

And what is the worst that can happen???… They are offended and decline your offer. Oh well… it’s not really any skin off your nose as you have TRIED to help and share your gift. All you can ever do in life is try…

If they are offended, I don’t think they will be forever. You may just have to be prepared for a little enbarassment on their side.

I think it would work out though.

If you give it a go, goodluck!

Lucy
    .-= Lucy´s last blog ..New Stock and a new ‘Lucy Loves… *****’ =-.

• Reply Anita December 4, 2009 at 1:35 pm

If you really like the place and the food it is worth giving it a try. One suggestion is that you approach it as if they would somehow be doing you a gigantic favor and helping you if they made these changes. People like others better if they do favors for them. And visual aids. If there is a language barrier do not make it worse by not providing them a way to understand visually what you would like to do. It never hurts to try.

• Reply jodi December 4, 2009 at 2:48 pm

oh, holly, you have to try! i’m sure their space would look amazing with your touch.
    .-= jodi´s last blog ..33 things =-.

• Reply Katie @ Making This Home December 4, 2009 at 3:01 pm

Holly, I’m doing the 5 hr/day thing. It’s pretty much my job, so when I come home and see all that you have shared here, I keep wondering how you are tackling the integration requirements.

My school has a 12 hr/week program for evenings and less intense things. They take longer, but putting everything else aside to learn the language isn’t always practical.

Good luck to you! If you’re calling up property managers, I’m impressed. Beyond impressed!
    Katie
    .-= Katie @ Making This Home´s last blog ..December in Berlin =-.

• Reply Frau Mayer December 4, 2009 at 4:24 pm

Hey, Holly, thanks for sharing my idea with the world, so nice of you!
    As for the bakery: should I help? I am always up for crazy ideas like that – and it might even work out!

• Reply Jessica December 4, 2009 at 5:40 pm

I am loving the camilla meiger and beware the moon papers. I haven’t seem them anywhere else. Has anyone used them??

• Reply Jenna December 4, 2009 at 6:23 pm

Hmm, I think you could do AMAZING things with a space like that. I would find a time when they are not busy and tell them you are an interior stylist who just moved to the area (bring a portfolio!), and that you’d like to give them a free consultation.

As a small business owner myself, I can totally see that they might think it would just cost too much to redo their shop, so definitely offer to help them locate items or plan projects that are within their budget — money is probably the biggest obstacle for them right now, if they just opened.

Good luck!!!

• Reply Victoria Bennett Beyer December 4, 2009 at 8:01 pm

I like Jenna’s idea – a free consultation. That way it seems like you have something to gain from the interaction, so both parties are on equal ground. Or secretly discover who the owner is and befriend them, and then kindly let them know your opinions.

I really came to comment to tell you that I am so very in love with that squirrel wallpaper. What section did you find it in? I’m having trouble locating it on their site.

• Reply decor8 December 5, 2009 at 4:31 am

Victoria – Yes I’m thinking of that too – a free consult – that would be a great way for me to present things. But I need to think about this seriously. I guess I just threw it out there without really thinking too seriously about the idea of DOING it you know. Now you all have made me feel like I need to step up to the plate and swing!!! So let’s see… I will go there and “feel” the mood of the owners, the vibe, and see if they are people I’d even want to work with first.

Oh and the squirrel paper is here: http://tinyurl.com/ylc4wm6

• Reply Marissa December 4, 2009 at 11:12 pm

A picture of that Rosita wallpaper would do the trick for me, if it were my bakery!

• Reply Tara December 5, 2009 at 3:47 pm

I couldn’t even begin to choose a favorite pattern or design from these examples; they are all so awe-inspiring! Even the really busy ones are so striking! The one above the blue sofa is a work of art!

• Reply Brooke H December 6, 2009 at 7:14 am

So funny! This happens to me all the time, in cafes, shops and even friends apartments. The spaces have so much potential and people just don’t use it right, or at all sometimes!

On another note, going back to the wallpaper topic, I also love firm Livings selection and they too send samples that are perfect for framing, matting, or crafting. =)
    .-= Brooke H´s last blog ..Holiday Shops =-.

• Reply Carsten Malz December 7, 2009 at 6:21 am

Just want to say Thank You very much … and we will work on our english.

• Reply Rebecca December 7, 2009 at 9:49 am

I think you should approach them with your thoughts – you could feature them on your blog as a work in progress – great publicity for them and you! You could even get a local paper/mag to feature a story about the cafe/bakery and their partnership with you. Win-Win for everyone!

Holly, I read your blog daily – I don’t leave comments – but I think you are WONDERFUL! You keep me motivated. Thanks so much!

Rebecca

• Reply Heather December 7, 2009 at 2:05 pm

you can buy amiee wilder wallpapre direct from her website! http://aimeewilder.bigcartel.com/category/wallpaper

• Reply peggy December 7, 2009 at 10:16 pm

Hi Holly, I think you are thinking with an American mind. Why are we always so driven? Slow down a little. And you have enough on your plate. Also, I totally disagree with you about the music. I hate blarring music when I am shopping. I actually think it takes away from the experience. I am in love with quiet.

And lastly, do you know where that blue lamp is from? I absolutely adore it.
    .-= peggy´s last blog ..Color Scheme: Pink with Gray, Brown or Black =-.

• Reply decor8 December 8, 2009 at 5:47 am

Peggy – Ha ha! Maybe you are right… though I don’t call it driven as much as passionate about decorating and design. It’s how I’ve always been, even as a little child moving around the furniture in our family home and insisting I go with my mother to pick out home decorating things vs. being outside playing with other children my age. I’ve ALWAYS had this passion for making things around me pleasing to the eyes and heart — cozy, warm, and very inviting. And when it comes to music — well I do not mean blarring. That is the one thing in the states that I can complain about — I really dislike that when one goes out to dine the music is usually quite loud… Not for me either Peggy! What I envision is a little jazz or piano or soundtrack to Amelie or perhaps a little Frank or Dean… something that brings the heart and mind to a happy place but also gives ambiance. I love being in a cafe and hearing conversation, the coffee machine, clinking glasses… and a little music that is heard but not taking first place — just to warm up the environment a bit.

And no, sorry about that lamp!!! I do not know a source for it… it’s cute though, you’re right!!!

• Reply peggy December 9, 2009 at 12:23 am

Holly – sorry this comment came off a bit harsh. I have a warped sense of humor that doesn’t always come across on the internet – or maybe I’m not good at expressing my humor! :)

This comment is really based on politics at the moment, and how I wish going to war was a thing of the past. Lately, I find Americans arrogant, and I was picturing and arrogant know-it-all American (who cannot speak the language) offending a mom and pop shop. Of course, that is totally wrong and not you at all. I am sure whatever you offered would be totally gorgeous, soft and inviting!

I think this post is evidence of the fact that you need to open your own shop, a dream you and I share. Please do forgive my unintended tactlessness. I do so admire your gentle nature, and learn so much from you.
    .-= peggy´s last blog ..Color Scheme: Pink with Gray, Brown or Black =-.

• Reply decor8 December 9, 2009 at 4:52 am

Peggy I understand completely and I know exactly what you mean which is why I’m SO hesitant to approach them. I don’t want to come off as some know-it-all to them and offend or hurt their feelings you know? As a result I’ve still not approached them! You weren’t tactless, I “know” you well enough from all of our interactions that I was not in the least bit offended. I absolutely “get” what you mean honey. ;)

• Reply Steffi December 9, 2009 at 12:08 pm

I think it’s less a question of nationality or fluency in a language, I think it all depends on how you approach them. If you walk right up there, show them elaborate plans and tell them in detail how to do ‘their’ cafe they might feel patronized by a stranger, even worse, they might think there’s someone trying to sell them something they don’t want and can’t afford. But if you have your coffee there, tell them that you moved from US and really like german bakeries, praise the wooden floor, the high ceilings and how you’d like the place even better if…. and then tell them one or two inexpensive and easy things to alter like music or an accent wall (something they might have never heard of) it’s much less awkward and basically the thing you want: help someone to make one more space more beautiful. If they react positively you might come some days later, giving them a cutout or print of what you envision, then you’re the nice regular customer with a professional background, someone whose helpful advice is always welcome.
    .-= Steffi´s last blog ..Marlene Reidel =-.

• Reply Penny Patten December 9, 2009 at 4:35 pm

The squirrel paper is adorable, I also like the pattern in the room with the vintage blue love seat.
    .-= Penny Patten´s last blog .."Gaiter’s" =-.