Inspiration

The Home of Jo Kornstein

December 10, 2009

Jo Kornstein is the co-owner of a boutique antiques store in northwest London called Howie & Belle and also a talented set designer who was recently profiled in British Vogue. I peeked at it recently at the Virgin store in our train station and was pleased and surprised to find that my friend Susannah also fancied this cozy home describing it as, “my dream home” and shared scanned images on her blog. Here’s a glimpse:

The Home of Jo Kornstein

The photography is by Hugh Stewart, please look at his online portfolio because he will surely provide you with an ample dose of inspiration today. Here are some of the photos that he took of Jo’s home below as well, I like this space because it is lovingly curated and not so carefully edited — that wonderful “real life lived-in” charm is still very much part of this home. It feels cozy and inviting, evidently a place that Jo spent a good amount of time pulling together. I like how Vogue described it, “More Dash Than Cash“. How appropriate! I support this way of living very much… creative touches, recycling, upcycling, thoughtfully curating, yes — more dash than cash or as I’d say it, creative authentic living. And it’s also obvious that Jo is a set designer… her home feels like you’ve just walked onto a film set.

The Home of Jo Kornstein

The Home of Jo Kornstein

These authentic and welcoming homes are the best homes, aren’t they? Ones that reflect the heart and soul of the dweller, a home that feels and smells and matches the person/s living there so well that you’d walk in and say, “Oh this is so, you!”. Has anyone ever said that in your home? To me, it’s the perfect compliment.

(photography: hugh stewart for vogue uk)

21 Comments

• Reply cary December 10, 2009 at 8:41 am

I admire the dark walls that everyone is showing now in all the mags…in this home or like in Jenna Lyons NY home.I just can’t imagine it in the winter months…I need more light reflected. But I do love looking at spaces that are so individual and real more than the homes that are obviously “done” and perfect.
    .-= cary´s last blog ..I heart… =-.

• Reply Beth perry December 10, 2009 at 9:59 am

OOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHH SO BEAUTIFUL AND INSPIRING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    .-= Beth perry´s last blog ..NEW ITEMS LISTED! =-.

• Reply Out And About Africa December 10, 2009 at 12:26 pm

This is SOOO my style!!! I’ve been thinking of how best to juice up my living room area and this if giving me so much inspiration.
    .-= Out And About Africa´s last blog ..Dawn Okoro =-.

• Reply Maria Helena December 10, 2009 at 1:44 pm

Hi!

Yes, everyone say’s that about my house ‘it´s so you’, that feels great, specially when you’re trying to make it ‘yours, unique’ :) i agree, it´s the best compliment!!

I value the process of decorating, adding, changing, constructing, it´s so much fun!There is no fun in buying everything at the same time, is there? I love to rebember when i slept with the mattress on the floor, still waiting to find the perfect bed.

Jo Kornstein’s house looks like an ever-changing place, filled with tenderness :)
    .-= Maria Helena´s last blog ..Audrey Corregan – Obviously =-.

• Reply nancy javier December 10, 2009 at 2:27 pm

I’m just getting ready to sell my house and move into a much smaller house that has been depressing me. But when I saw these photos, I was so inspired and am now looking forward to the move and all the decorating possibilities. Thanks for sharing these beautiful rooms.

• Reply Annie December 10, 2009 at 2:48 pm

Absolutely Gorgeous! Thank you sooo much for this inspiration! I love the bedroom with the navy (?) walls, black floors, and the upholstered headboard. It’s so granny-chic I guess I would say!
    .-= Annie´s last blog ..A Lovely Winter Palette! =-.

• Reply Margaret S December 10, 2009 at 2:54 pm

A beautiful home indeed, a true reflection of the owners personality.

• Reply belledame December 10, 2009 at 6:33 pm

looks like a vintage anthropologie catalog. interesting that someone really lives like that…

• Reply uncharted December 10, 2009 at 9:19 pm

such beautiful rooms! thanks for the inspiration!

• Reply Gem December 10, 2009 at 11:41 pm

I love the combo and feel of the dark walls, birds, and floral accents. Very romantic and cozy.
    .-= Gem´s last blog ..The Story of Us =-.

• Reply ChervelleCamille December 11, 2009 at 4:31 am

Yes! I do get that compliment about my space. I still live at home (for saving money purposes as a young woman) and just redecorated my new room. It’s great that I get to use my natural creativity and my knowledge from design school to express me and feel pleased. Even better when people see it and say “this is so you!” and that they understand my vision. I like her space. It’s not personally my style, but it reflects her and it is authentic, which really it is all that matters.

Has anyone said that to you about any of your spaces, Holly?

• Reply decor8 December 11, 2009 at 1:28 pm

ChervelleCamille – Yes I have been getting this since I was a teenager… which is why I decided to get into design in the first place — through the encouragement of family and friends. My girlfriend Adrienne, whom I met when I was 18, would always come over to my apartment and say, “Ooooo I love stepping into the Holly Lair” and we’d giggle. Or she would tell me that when she was out shopping this smell or that scarf or this paper or some decorative piece was just, “So Holly”. And of course, other friends told me these things for years and currently it’s the same. This, to me, is the greatest thing to here because not only do my friends know and “get” me, but they also know my style. It’s nice.

• Reply nina December 11, 2009 at 11:04 am

I love her home. It’s eclectic and yet so cozy. I love the dark colors. Romantic and a bit masculine. I love everything about it!
    .-= nina´s last blog ..My wonderland =-.

• Reply Susannah December 11, 2009 at 12:30 pm

LOVE LOVE LOVE! and also loving Hugh Stewart’s style, he has some fabulous work in his portfolio!
    .-= Susannah´s last blog ..~ Day Seven ~ =-.

• Reply Sachiko Lamb December 11, 2009 at 4:56 pm

It may seem so redundant, but I don’t have any other words for it! I am in love with it! It goes so well with my idea of the value of the objects themselves and not their symbols, so it doesn’t matter if this piece of furniture or decoration was bought at a high price or what, but the history and character of the pieces make them very special. It makes your environment feel special, making you feel special as well. Now, that is home.

• Reply Penny Patten December 12, 2009 at 12:43 pm

Oh my goodness, I could be in that tub right now! (Its very cold and windy here right now). The rooms look fantastic, warm and inviting!
    .-= Penny Patten´s last blog .."Gaiter’s" =-.

• Reply Liz Thompson December 13, 2009 at 9:31 am

Her space is so gorgeous and cool! I am planning to add a shower to my bath ala the first pic. Anyone know where to find great hardware like that?
    .-= Liz Thompson´s last blog ..Dec 3, Got Holiday Spirit? =-.

• Reply Jackie December 16, 2009 at 7:12 am

oh i love the FONT you used for “hugh stewart photography”…..what’s the name of it, if i may ask?? :)

-j

• Reply Isabelle December 16, 2009 at 9:21 am

Love her house! absolutly beautiful!
    her style is fantastic!
    and i would love to have a bathroom like that!

• Reply Randy Sloan September 3, 2011 at 6:52 pm

Love the color scheme and overall tone of this space! Although clearly designed by a woman, I would feel right at home here as well… Perfect!

• Reply Ann Nordquist April 28, 2012 at 9:33 pm

Hi Holly,

I’m in love with this bathroom and had been searching around about it before posting on Pinterest today. I found a lovely article about Jo Kornstein’s house from 2010 in the Guardian:

cheers!!