Stylist Anna Richardson

I am thoroughly in love with the January issue of Livingetc. It’s fabulous and was thoroughly worth the (gulp) $15 that I paid for it at the train station. At first glance I thought it would be rather uninspiring as it appeared quite thin and for that amount of money, I want something that I’ll refer to again and again versus a quick one flip. This is what my morning looked like, candles are a must this time of year as it is so cold and gray.

Livingetc

When it comes to design glossies I’m happy to say, size does not always matter! This slim issue is loaded with inspiration… from a fun apartment in Cologne to an eclectic home in England and a gorgeous Copenhagen flat — I felt connected mainly since a few are rentals and let’s face it, with a rental home one is limited so more creativity is required to make a house a home. I believe that the space I’m sharing below is owned, but still… I loved the color scheme so much — bright and punchy – that I must share it.

Above is a glimpse into the whimsical East Sussex coastal home of stylist Anna Richardson and her singer/songwriter man Blair Mackichan who has worked with music giants like Lily Allen. This home was photographed by Paul Raeside and styled by Mary Weaver from Livingetc magazine who is also an editor at the magazine. Paul is an amazing interiors and lifestyle photographer based in New York with an impressive portfolio online that you can view here.  You can view Anna’s gorgeous home on the Livingetc. website here. Enjoy!

(images: holly becker for decor8)

Posted by decor8 in Books + Magazines on December 14, 2009

1. jenni commented
    December 14th, 2009 at 11:05am

This is going on the inspiration wall!
    .-= jenni´s last blog ..Skulls and Roses– Laundry Bag made with Alexander Henry’s Pink Regent Skull Fabric =-.

2. Melissa de la Fuente commented
    December 14th, 2009 at 11:11am

As usual….I love your coffe table set up…it looks lovely and cosy :) I keep meaning to ask you wear your coffee table comes from….and I adore the colors in that bathroom! Beautiful….I so want to paint one of my rooms this color. :)
    xo
    Melis
    .-= Melissa de la Fuente´s last blog ..Monday: inspired by Miss Capricho =-.

3. wynzia commented
    December 14th, 2009 at 11:18am

lovely. i’m going to add it to my airplane-reading list. i also need calm & neutral, which is equally lovely, in my environment due to the chaos in my brain…but looking at others’ color-filled homes makes me happy.

4. decor8 commented
    December 14th, 2009 at 11:20am

Melissa – The table is from a store called DEPOT here in Germany, I bought it last year. It’s called the Opium table. However, it’s no longer in their collection. It is solid wood and very, very heavy but I love it — it’s very, very well made and though it’s a little large for my current living room I still adore it. :)

5. kate commented
    December 14th, 2009 at 11:48am

I love the pink kitchen with all the treasures displayed. I’m a minimalist at heart and do not like clutter, but for some reason I really like this look. Maybe its how she did it. She has the right eye AND touch to make it look great not messy.
    .-= kate´s last blog ..Rhinestone Scatter Pins =-.

6. Nina commented
    December 14th, 2009 at 12:24pm

I love everything about it. It’s such an artsy space. Bohemian, I love it!
    It’s filled with flea market finds and special things, it’s actually the look I am going for in decorating my own home. I love the sofas with the mismatched pillows and ornate throw, I love the gold letters on the mantle, the chandelier is awesome too. I love everything!
    .-= Nina´s last blog ..The Julie & Julia in me.. =-.

7. Marlene commented
    December 14th, 2009 at 12:30pm

Love it!

8. Jennifer Squires Ross commented
    December 14th, 2009 at 12:42pm

I like what it says about the people that live there. They like to travel, appreciate art, and don’t miss out on the small delights in life. They like to live life to the fullest and don’t care what other people think, that’s what makes this space a home.
    .-= Jennifer Squires Ross´s last blog ..december giveaway #3 – 2010 calendar =-.

9. Ana commented
    December 14th, 2009 at 1:39pm

I pay $9 for my Living Etc. It’s the last great shelter mag.
    .-= Ana´s last blog ..House Tour =-.

10. Shanon commented
    December 14th, 2009 at 2:06pm

Okay. Now I want a pink kitchen! The hubs finally distracted me from a pink entertainment room in our basement (we will do a deep almost black brown instead) but now I want a pink kitchen. Will it ever end? hehe

I love that magazine. I buy it occasionally. It seems that foreign design/home magazines are filled with so much more inspiration and are much more adventurous than American ones right now. I do really think that House Beautiful has been stepping out of their box lately, but that’s about it. I think I better head to the bookstore one of these days… =)
    .-= Shanon´s last blog ..Cozy Sunday =-.

11. Daniella commented
    December 14th, 2009 at 2:07pm

Um… loving those candle holders!

12. Tracey commented
    December 14th, 2009 at 2:25pm

I love the use of color in these rooms… while my own decor leans more towards more muted tones, I love this! I love color so how very inspirational!
    .-= Tracey´s last blog ..Going to a Good Home- “The Cove” =-.

13. Sarah commented
    December 14th, 2009 at 2:30pm

Love the green in the sitting room and the lilac bathroom – I’ve never really gone for purple at all in the past, but, tastes change and I just did a school project with a bedroom painted in the most gorgeous purple…it was a color used by designer Hal Williamson in New Orleans and I just couldn’t get it out of my head (it was in House Beautiful). I especially love the sitting room’s two tone colors – that I could live with!
    .-= Sarah´s last blog ..ARTIST OF THE WEEK – TRISH MCCOY =-.

14. katie runnels commented
    December 14th, 2009 at 2:55pm

Oh, Holly! This magazine took up where Elle Decoration got a little dull a few years back…I understand your paying top dollar for it!! I love that home too- its like a big life collage! xoxo

15. kbd commented
    December 14th, 2009 at 3:18pm

HA I had the exact same reaction (although $9 is not as bad as $15!!)

16. decor8 commented
    December 14th, 2009 at 3:24pm

Katie – YOU ARE SO RIGHT! That’s true, I’m not feeling Elle Decoration anymore, I stopped buying it about a year ago…

17. Pixie commented
    December 14th, 2009 at 4:09pm

first of all, love your candle holders, they are wonderful!

second I try and save up to buy LivingEtc as well as I agree with some of the comments above, it really seems so much less stuffy than US home mags, like people REALLY live in the rooms and they’re not just for show

and third, I LOVE that lavendar / lilac bathroom…oh, sooo pretty!
    .-= Pixie´s last blog ..Lonny Love =-.

18. juliet commented
    December 15th, 2009 at 12:46am

This is my favorite magazine and the only one I buy these days. Can you (or anyone) recommend any other good ones?

19. Shell commented
    December 15th, 2009 at 1:15am

The picture of the living room is beautiful to me. I have been sitting here for a few minutes gazing at it. The colors, the mirror..the room is stylish yet full of life.
    .-= Shell´s last blog ..A bit of holiday bashing =-.

20. Katherine commented
    December 15th, 2009 at 10:20am

I’m with Nina…I love everything about this space…the whimsical bohemian speaks to me & there are so many treasures everywhere you look. Gonna have to steal the kitchen idea for sure.

And Living Etc is simply awesome…I’m so grateful my English BFF surprised me with a subscription. I savor every.single.page.
    .-= Katherine´s last blog ..CFS + PMS = MIA =-.

21. CommeUnPiou commented
    December 15th, 2009 at 11:15am

Wonderful i could easily live in each room !

Thank you !

22. Penny Patten commented
    December 15th, 2009 at 11:43am

The deep purple wall draws you in, I like the way she painted the green wall only part way up, and the wall of art in the kitchen. It all looks wonderful. I also really like your candle sticks!
    .-= Penny Patten´s last blog ..Inspiration is all around us! =-.

23. jennifer ramos commented
    December 15th, 2009 at 2:45pm

Oh! I like her quirky style…reminds me of my own at one point! :)

Jen Ramos
    madebygirl.blogspot.com
    .-= jennifer ramos´s last blog ..New York Spaces… =-.

24. Kathryn commented
    December 16th, 2009 at 12:33am

My magazine stand knows how much I love my living etc and will hold a copy for me until I can stop by to pick it up. I have four years worth of issues that I flip through ALL the time for inspiraton. And you can order back issues easily here: http://www.mags-uk.com/Publications/414/Living_Etc.htm
    .-= Kathryn´s last blog ..Bedroom closet after =-.

25. Kitty Lo commented
    December 16th, 2009 at 2:45am

Hi Holly, it’s my first comment here but I’ve been a follower!

This is wonderful! Thanks for finding this! Am going to blog about it and do a linkback!

Cheers,
    Kitty

26. Pen commented
    December 16th, 2009 at 7:40am

I actually think (UK) Elle Deco has picked up a bit in the last three months or so – I agree it had got a bit stuck in its ways prior to that, but I actively seek it out now in a way that I didn’t even this summer.

Having said that, Living Etc is still my favourite (even though it’s had a couple of weaker issues lately). Their website is fantastic as well, and they do have a house tour of Anna Richardson’s place:

There’s still no substitute for the glossy loveliness of the real thing in your hands of course, even at $15!

27. Sarah commented
    December 16th, 2009 at 8:35am

Hi Holly, thank you for the post I am a huge follower and now you have made it easy for me to decide which mag to buy this month!

Can I ask where you got your candle holders from… I adore them?
    Thanks
    Sarah

28. decor8 commented
    December 16th, 2009 at 8:36am

Sarah — which ones? I will let you know but I’m not sure what you are referring to… :)

29. Emily commented
    December 16th, 2009 at 1:46pm

I think sometimes that Living Etc is my guiltiest pleasure. Spending 9 dollars on a magazine seems way over the top to me, but I so enjoy them – “savor” is actually the right word here. I just try not to buy every month…

I just got the October issue recently (they are sometimes a couple of months behind…) but now I’m wondering whether I should keep an eye out for January. It would be great if Living Etc published a book, a la Domino.
    .-= Emily´s last blog ..I’m gettin’ published! =-.

30. Pen commented
    December 16th, 2009 at 5:31pm

LEtc did do a couple of books, years ago – but don’t think they did spectacularly well as it didn’t become an ongoing thing.

Here’s one of them, though it’s not actually one of those I remember…

31. Sarah commented
    December 17th, 2009 at 7:16am

Oh Sorry, I ment the candle stick holders you have on your coffee table in the first image of this post.

32. decor8 commented
    December 17th, 2009 at 8:48am

Sarah, oh thank you for clarifying! They are from Marrakesh, I bought them at an outdoor fair in the city last week. :)

33. Sarah commented
    December 18th, 2009 at 3:12am

Thank you Holly, I have always wanted to go to Marrakesh, you are so lucky. I will try to find some similar online, maybe ebay. Thank you

34. Lynne commented
    February 10th, 2010 at 6:10pm

Love the lilac walls – gorgeous, but I’ve been drooling over lilac flowers recently, that’s what’s put me in the mood. I much prefer Elle Decoration to Living Etc (I’ve subscribed to both for about 8 years.) Every month I think I will cancel my Living Etc subscription – but I haven’t yet. It’s improved significantly in the last few months.