Rooms

Pretty Spoons: Nic Webb

December 24, 2009

Spoons, spoons, spoons! Are spoons more than mere utensils? Yes. They are not only filled with food but also quite memory-filled as well. I’ve long had a love for vintage and antique spoons but also the old beat-up wooden ones used for cooking and I’ll tell you why in a moment, it has to do with memories that make them more than simple flatware and somewhat endearing. First observe some of the most beautiful ones I’ve laid eyes on in a long, long time…

Pretty Spoons: Nic Webb

Spoons feed the stomach and the soul. This is where memories come into play. I assume the spoon was the first utensil that you were introduced to as you began eating those yummy purees as an infant. The spoon may have been “flown” to your mouth accompanied by your father’s dramatic whooshing sound effects, and as his eyes widened, so did yours. Perhaps you’d kick your legs and giggle because feeding time was more than simply eating, it was a way for you and your parents to form an emotional bond. That spoon meant food but also attention and feeling cared for. As you matured, you started to feed yourself. I bet, like me, you can look back fondly on the big wooden spoon that your grandmother used to whip up your favorite cake, the same one that you licked clean (along with with the bowl) after the batter was poured into the buttered form. Or think about the spoon your mother lovingly fed you homemade chicken soup with as you laid in bed aching from a head cold. But there is another joy that a spoon can give…

Play! As a toddler the spoon was my drumstick for use on pots and pans as I sat wearing only a diaper on the kitchen floor, I’d strike them in pure red-cheeked joy (clearly, my mother was a saint). As you got older, spoons were part of your playtime, perhaps in your mini kitchen with all of your pretend foods, feeding your dolls and bears. You may have had a special baby doll that you’d spoon feed, did you? I remember my first doll and her little white plastic spoon. I’d insert it into her mouth and she’d make a cooing sound. Did you have a little spoon for making all those easy-bake-oven creations?

Spoons symbolize love and care amongst many other things, don’t you think? Perhaps that is why so many of us are drawn to images of them but also to admiring their shape and feel — always the perfect fit and weight — in our hand.

Have you ever thought about a spoon in this way?

I guess this is why Nic Webb’s handmade beauties made me drool just a little bit… His work is gorgeous, some look as though they were fashioned after those from the middle ages only with a much more modern, clean aesthetic. Please spend a moment on his website today. You’ll feel quite satisfied, I’m sure.

(images: nic webb)

15 Comments

• Reply belinda December 24, 2009 at 5:43 am

these are beautiful! and i do think of love every time i see a wooden spoon because in wales (where we have close friends and lived for a while), they like to give “love spoons” as gifts for weddings and anniversaries – beautiful hand-carved wooden spoons with decorative handles with various symbols that mean different things (horsehoes/hearts etc). We have several, my fave – the one my husband and i bought together – hangs on the wall above my hallstand so I can see it every day. back to nic’s collection – I need those long-handled ones. gorgeous!
    .-= belinda´s last blog ..studio moodboard =-.

• Reply Melissa de la Fuente December 24, 2009 at 7:36 am

So very beautiful…..makes me want to start a collection.
    xo
    Melis
    .-= Melissa de la Fuente´s last blog ..Melissa loves: Cornelia O’donovan =-.

• Reply The Designer Insider December 24, 2009 at 7:43 am

I have beautiful wood bowls and spoons from my grandmother. I still love the patina that wood brings. Thanks for sharing these beautiful utensils. Happy holidays to all of you!

• Reply Elnora Augustan December 24, 2009 at 8:47 am

some real classy spoons!

• Reply Nic Webb December 24, 2009 at 9:27 am

Thank you for the blog and the comments. Delighted you like the work
    I am happy to answer any questions people may have.

Best wishes and Happy Christmas to all.

Nic Webb

• Reply trish December 24, 2009 at 10:11 am

first- happy holiday to you and mr t, oxo.
    i hadn’t really thought of the spoon like this before, but have been collecting silver teaspoons for a few years, just because i love the shape- very feminine, don’t you think?. it’s funny- even ‘a spoon’ full of sugar helps the medicine go down. the spoon, as a symbol of nourishment- brilliant! thanks for your wonder way of threading the most simple basic item into an item deserving so much more appreciation.
    Nic Webb has got the spoon thing down for sure- just gorgeous. thanks, God Bless! see you next year!
    .-= trish´s last blog ..Smile, It’s Father Christmas =-.

• Reply Chloe December 24, 2009 at 12:17 pm

So beautiful Holly. I’ll never look at a spoon the same again.

• Reply Kim December 24, 2009 at 12:25 pm

Ohmygoodness. I love wooden spoons and these are just perfection! Thank you! =D
    .-= Kim´s last blog .. =-.

• Reply Nuit December 24, 2009 at 12:40 pm

Gosh,,, these sing to me!!! so pretty!
    .-= Nuit´s last blog ..Last minute xmas decor: Photo Wreath =-.

• Reply Nina December 24, 2009 at 2:50 pm

love the photos!
    .-= Nina´s last blog ..Beautiful Story =-.

• Reply Meredith from PenelopeLovesLists December 24, 2009 at 4:21 pm

Thanks for giving me a new way to think about spoons. When I was growing up, my grandma’s wooden spoon helped her make many wonderful things, but it was also the “enforcer” if any of us got out of line. Luckily, my Ree Ree never used it on us, she was a good grandma, but I never looked on wooden spoons with a ton of sentiment.

But, you’ve given me a new perspective. And what beautiful work here from Mr. Webb!
    .-= Meredith from PenelopeLovesLists´s last blog ..Tips for a stress-free Christmas morning: the one day to curb your Penelope ways =-.

• Reply Deb December 26, 2009 at 2:26 am

Something very soothing and comforting about wooden spoons. They go so well with pinnies, 1950s mixing bowls, wire cooling racks and images of my grandma baking… Probably why I fell in love with this beautiful book

.-= Deb´s last blog ..Le sourire =-.

• Reply Jessica December 26, 2009 at 4:27 pm

Thank you for sharing these wonderful spoons. I am absolutely in love with them.

• Reply Brenna December 28, 2009 at 1:08 am

May I ask what the nifty font you’re using is? The one Nick’s name is so adorably typed in? Many thanks if you can share ;)

• Reply Gino December 28, 2009 at 2:13 am

Love these spoons! To hell with metal spoons =)