DIY Chevron Art

I’m loving this easy and affordable DIY art project from the talented Jess Constable over at Make Under My Life. She told me that she has a crush on chevron patterns currently so she decided to create her own art in gold and white to place over her dining room table. Jess asked if I wouldn’t mind posting this on decor8, and since it’s so lovely, why not? I am suddenly crushing on chevrons after seeing this!

Finished!

Materials Used: 3 22×28? stretched canvases (each one cost about $22) Bronze gold acrylic paint ($10) Large, soft bristled brush ($10) 1 roll blue painters tape ($4) thumbtacks nails + hammer (to hang) Chevron pattern stencil (free at Sunset Magazine found first over at Kelly + Olive) Jess gives you the full DIY scoop below. Take it away, Jess!

DIY Chevron Art project

First, I printed out the stencil three times to get the right length for your canvases. I carefully trimmed the paper to include just the zig-zag and then taped them together to get the correct width.

DIY Chevron Art project

I recycled some old canvases, I decided I can always recreate the string art look on new canvases, and in the meantime save some $$ by reusing the two I already had.

DIY Chevron Art project

To transfer the chevron pattern from the paper stencil to the canvas, I used a thumb tack to mark each of the points. I did this for both stripes on the stencil and then used blue painters tape to fill in where the white zig-zag was on the stencil. The thumb tack prints helped me know where to start and stop the tape. You can use anything to mark yours, the thumb tacks are completely optional.

DIY Chevron Art project

TIP: I found lining up a whole bunch of tape makes the process quicker.

DIY Chevron Art project

Once the canvas was complete with the chevron pattern, I taped the sides as well to keep them white. I also used a credit card to smooth down all the lines and make sure no paint would bleed into the stripe pattern. After that, I just needed to paint the canvases with a solid coat of paint. It didn’t take nearly as much paint as I thought it would. I painted all three canvases with one tube of paint, and I still have some left over! The canvases needed about 20 minutes to dry and then I removed the painters tape. You can also let them dry overnight, just in case since your home may be cooler or more humid than mine. I love how the metallic gold paint shines against the solid white stripe. – Jess.

If you have any questions for Jess, please ask her below and thanks Jess for visiting decor8 today with your awesome project!

(images: Jess Constable)

Posted by decor8 in Arts + Crafts, diy, guest bloggers on January 05, 2010

1. Margot commented
    January 5th, 2010 at 6:15am

Great project! I think I’ll be making some for my new living room too.
    .-= Margot´s last blog ..1984 by George Orwell =-.

2. Creative Coquette commented
    January 5th, 2010 at 7:07am

This is a fab project! Endless possibilities with color and easy!

Totally crushing!
    .-= Creative Coquette´s last blog ..MASSIVE New Year Sale!!! Don’t miss out!! =-.

3. nikkieve commented
    January 5th, 2010 at 7:16am

Awsome idea!
    very effective and it looks great!
    x

.-= nikkieve´s last blog ..Perfect pony =-.

4. iHanna commented
    January 5th, 2010 at 7:34am

Looks like a fun project. I know the feeling of falling in love with a specific pattern. Thanks for sharing.
    .-= iHanna´s last blog ..The gift of 365 Beautiful Days filled with Happiness =-.

5. ruth commented
    January 5th, 2010 at 7:46am

I love your new chevron canvases!
    .-= ruth´s last blog ..Happy New Year =-.

6. laura trevey commented
    January 5th, 2010 at 8:10am

Re-occurring patterns are so visually stimulating! Great post!
    .-= laura trevey´s last blog ..Red Geraniums, Original Watercolor Painting, 9 by 12 =-.

7. Danielle@Newlyweds Paradise commented
    January 5th, 2010 at 8:37am

What a great idea! Thanks for sharing.

8. Sophie @ Century Finds commented
    January 5th, 2010 at 9:13am

Thanks Jess! I think I just found my next project. I have a large wall in the dining room right behind a pendant lamp, and anything with a bold design gets cut up and looks wrong. This will do nicely to fill the space – I appreciate the tips!
    .-= Sophie @ Century Finds´s last blog ..The Century Finds New Year Sale is Here! =-.

9. Lydia, Clueless Crafter commented
    January 5th, 2010 at 9:47am

I can see those chevron canvases in a downstairs rec room outfitted with game tables, screening room and bar. It could take the traditional “man cave” into a level of heightened sophistication!
    .-= Lydia, Clueless Crafter´s last blog ..Who Your Duppy? =-.

10. Jaimi commented
    January 5th, 2010 at 9:55am

I’m loving this project…thinking about trying it out on fabric and making some fabulous pillows :)

11. Sharon commented
    January 5th, 2010 at 9:57am

The chevrons are nice, but that table is wonderful!!!

(PS – I voted for you for the Homies. I’ve got my fingers crossed for you.)

12. Sandra commented
    January 5th, 2010 at 10:42am

I love how the first canvas looks almost beige,and the last one almost chocolate brown when the light plays with the color!

13. Elizabeth commented
    January 5th, 2010 at 11:21am

Love chevrons, so loving this project. What a great way to start January. Not too hard, but so striking. I will have to see if I can find a wall in my house to do this….:)
    .-= Elizabeth´s last blog ..Thermos Family =-.

14. Alexis L. of One Grand Home commented
    January 5th, 2010 at 12:56pm

Metallics, marble and chevron–yup, pretty much everything I love in this world. I’ve been wanting to make a chevron floorcloth for a while now and this is good motivation. Thanks for sharing.

15. Katrina commented
    January 5th, 2010 at 1:01pm

You can also paint over the tape with a transparent medium and let that dry first to make sure the color doesn’t bleed at all under the tape. It works really well!

16. Lesley @ TheDesignFile commented
    January 5th, 2010 at 3:55pm

These are so cool and seem really easy — although I was worried about bleeding too. Thanks to Katrina for the tip!

17. Christine commented
    January 5th, 2010 at 4:14pm

Fantastic project! Love the simple lines and gold palate. This would look great in my apartment, maybe I’ll give it a try. Thanks for sharing this!
    .-= Christine´s last blog ..Taking Risks… =-.

18. Chelsea commented
    January 5th, 2010 at 4:52pm

this is an awesome project! i cant wait to get started! thanks so much for sharing

xo
    chelsea

.-= Chelsea´s last blog ..fav city spots =-.

19. Christine commented
    January 5th, 2010 at 5:50pm

AWESOME project! i remember seeing the free pattern in sunset magazine & this is a wonderful gently reminder to actually use it. katrina, would you mind sharing what kind of transparent medium (name brand maybe?) you would use & if this would be placed on the whole canvas or just the taped part? THANK YOU!

20. madesweet commented
    January 5th, 2010 at 7:37pm

beautiful!!!
    .-= madesweet´s last blog ..60th wedding anniversary bottles =-.

21. miles & the baboon commented
    January 6th, 2010 at 11:34am

22. decor8 commented
    January 6th, 2010 at 11:56am

Miles thank you for that link — I love the picture of your guy and the cat — I laughed at what you wrote beneath them. Too cute.

23. Katherine aka. Urban Flea commented
    January 6th, 2010 at 8:26pm

i’m seriously obsessed with this project! it’s such a perfect addition to the room, and seems simple enough to do on your own. thanks so much for the inspiration!

xo katherine aka. urban flea ;)
    .-= Katherine aka. Urban Flea´s last blog ..rooms du jour =-.

24. patricia commented
    January 11th, 2010 at 4:32am

Actually, I love the string art idea!! So sweet and simple!

25. summerffa commented
    March 10th, 2010 at 4:31pm

What a neat project. Thanks for sharing.

26. Kelly @ Featheredflower commented
    March 22nd, 2011 at 7:16pm

Wow, I so want to try this! It looks so simple but lovely.

Kelly @ Featheredflower´s last blog post ..The Lazy person’s guide to a DIY fabric covered lampshade

27. Bree K commented
    February 26th, 2012 at 3:55am

Hello there.

Can you tell me the exact paint you used. I just love it. Way to go:)

28. Glo commented
    February 26th, 2012 at 9:52pm

I am about to paint, and was going to make my own chevron stencil for a window shade in my boys’ bathroom. So glad I was inspired to look online for one. Found this post, and have pinned it to my board on pinterest. I’ll share a link in a comment once the shade is complete. THANK YOU!

29. Glo commented
    February 28th, 2012 at 4:20am

Done. My boy asked for yellow, so it’s quite bright. We love it! Here’s a link to the picture of the finished product:

30. Richard commented
    March 3rd, 2012 at 10:55pm

FYI your template is for the blue tape. The green tape is a bit wider.
    That will be helpful to anyone completing the project.

31. Amanda @ Burlap and Denim commented
    March 13th, 2012 at 9:35pm

Great tutorial. I love the drama of the gold and white.