DIY

DIY Chevron Art

January 5, 2010

I’m loving this easy and affordable DIY art project from the talented Jess Constable over at Make Under My Life. She told me that she has a crush on chevron patterns currently so she decided to create her own art in gold and white to place over her dining room table. Jess asked if I wouldn’t mind posting this on decor8, and since it’s so lovely, why not? I am suddenly crushing on chevrons after seeing this!

DIY Chevron Art

Materials Used: 3 22×28? stretched canvases (each one cost about $22) Bronze gold acrylic paint ($10) Large, soft bristled brush ($10) 1 roll blue painters tape ($4) thumbtacks nails + hammer (to hang) Chevron pattern stencil (free at Sunset Magazine found first over at Kelly + Olive) Jess gives you the full DIY scoop below. Take it away, Jess!

DIY Chevron Art

First, I printed out the stencil three times to get the right length for your canvases. I carefully trimmed the paper to include just the zig-zag and then taped them together to get the correct width.

DIY Chevron Art

I recycled some old canvases, I decided I can always recreate the string art look on new canvases, and in the meantime save some $$ by reusing the two I already had.

DIY Chevron Art

To transfer the chevron pattern from the paper stencil to the canvas, I used a thumb tack to mark each of the points. I did this for both stripes on the stencil and then used blue painters tape to fill in where the white zig-zag was on the stencil. The thumb tack prints helped me know where to start and stop the tape. You can use anything to mark yours, the thumb tacks are completely optional.

DIY Chevron Art

TIP: I found lining up a whole bunch of tape makes the process quicker.

DIY Chevron Art

Once the canvas was complete with the chevron pattern, I taped the sides as well to keep them white. I also used a credit card to smooth down all the lines and make sure no paint would bleed into the stripe pattern. After that, I just needed to paint the canvases with a solid coat of paint. It didn’t take nearly as much paint as I thought it would. I painted all three canvases with one tube of paint, and I still have some left over! The canvases needed about 20 minutes to dry and then I removed the painters tape. You can also let them dry overnight, just in case since your home may be cooler or more humid than mine. I love how the metallic gold paint shines against the solid white stripe. – Jess.

If you have any questions for Jess, please ask her below and thanks Jess for visiting decor8 today with your awesome project!

(images: Jess Constable)

You Might Also Like

31 Comments

• Reply Margot January 5, 2010 at 6:15 am

Great project! I think I’ll be making some for my new living room too.
    .-= Margot´s last blog ..1984 by George Orwell =-.

• Reply Creative Coquette January 5, 2010 at 7:07 am

This is a fab project! Endless possibilities with color and easy!

Totally crushing!
    .-= Creative Coquette´s last blog ..MASSIVE New Year Sale!!! Don’t miss out!! =-.

• Reply nikkieve January 5, 2010 at 7:16 am

Awsome idea!
    very effective and it looks great!
    x

.-= nikkieve´s last blog ..Perfect pony =-.

• Reply iHanna January 5, 2010 at 7:34 am

Looks like a fun project. I know the feeling of falling in love with a specific pattern. Thanks for sharing.
    .-= iHanna´s last blog ..The gift of 365 Beautiful Days filled with Happiness =-.

• Reply ruth January 5, 2010 at 7:46 am

I love your new chevron canvases!
    .-= ruth´s last blog ..Happy New Year =-.

• Reply laura trevey January 5, 2010 at 8:10 am

Re-occurring patterns are so visually stimulating! Great post!
    .-= laura trevey´s last blog ..Red Geraniums, Original Watercolor Painting, 9 by 12 =-.

• Reply Danielle@Newlyweds Paradise January 5, 2010 at 8:37 am

What a great idea! Thanks for sharing.

• Reply Sophie @ Century Finds January 5, 2010 at 9:13 am

Thanks Jess! I think I just found my next project. I have a large wall in the dining room right behind a pendant lamp, and anything with a bold design gets cut up and looks wrong. This will do nicely to fill the space – I appreciate the tips!
    .-= Sophie @ Century Finds´s last blog ..The Century Finds New Year Sale is Here! =-.

• Reply Lydia, Clueless Crafter January 5, 2010 at 9:47 am

I can see those chevron canvases in a downstairs rec room outfitted with game tables, screening room and bar. It could take the traditional “man cave” into a level of heightened sophistication!
    .-= Lydia, Clueless Crafter´s last blog ..Who Your Duppy? =-.

• Reply Jaimi January 5, 2010 at 9:55 am

I’m loving this project…thinking about trying it out on fabric and making some fabulous pillows :)

• Reply Sharon January 5, 2010 at 9:57 am

The chevrons are nice, but that table is wonderful!!!

(PS – I voted for you for the Homies. I’ve got my fingers crossed for you.)

• Reply Sandra January 5, 2010 at 10:42 am

I love how the first canvas looks almost beige,and the last one almost chocolate brown when the light plays with the color!

• Reply Elizabeth January 5, 2010 at 11:21 am

Love chevrons, so loving this project. What a great way to start January. Not too hard, but so striking. I will have to see if I can find a wall in my house to do this….:)
    .-= Elizabeth´s last blog ..Thermos Family =-.

• Reply Alexis L. of One Grand Home January 5, 2010 at 12:56 pm

Metallics, marble and chevron–yup, pretty much everything I love in this world. I’ve been wanting to make a chevron floorcloth for a while now and this is good motivation. Thanks for sharing.

• Reply Katrina January 5, 2010 at 1:01 pm

You can also paint over the tape with a transparent medium and let that dry first to make sure the color doesn’t bleed at all under the tape. It works really well!

• Reply Lesley @ TheDesignFile January 5, 2010 at 3:55 pm

These are so cool and seem really easy — although I was worried about bleeding too. Thanks to Katrina for the tip!

• Reply Christine January 5, 2010 at 4:14 pm

Fantastic project! Love the simple lines and gold palate. This would look great in my apartment, maybe I’ll give it a try. Thanks for sharing this!
    .-= Christine´s last blog ..Taking Risks… =-.

• Reply Chelsea January 5, 2010 at 4:52 pm

this is an awesome project! i cant wait to get started! thanks so much for sharing

xo
    chelsea

.-= Chelsea´s last blog ..fav city spots =-.

• Reply Christine January 5, 2010 at 5:50 pm

AWESOME project! i remember seeing the free pattern in sunset magazine & this is a wonderful gently reminder to actually use it. katrina, would you mind sharing what kind of transparent medium (name brand maybe?) you would use & if this would be placed on the whole canvas or just the taped part? THANK YOU!

• Reply madesweet January 5, 2010 at 7:37 pm

beautiful!!!
    .-= madesweet´s last blog ..60th wedding anniversary bottles =-.

• Reply miles & the baboon January 6, 2010 at 11:34 am

more chevron love here!

love the canvases!

• Reply decor8 January 6, 2010 at 11:56 am

Miles thank you for that link — I love the picture of your guy and the cat — I laughed at what you wrote beneath them. Too cute.

• Reply Katherine aka. Urban Flea January 6, 2010 at 8:26 pm

i’m seriously obsessed with this project! it’s such a perfect addition to the room, and seems simple enough to do on your own. thanks so much for the inspiration!

xo katherine aka. urban flea ;)
    .-= Katherine aka. Urban Flea´s last blog ..rooms du jour =-.

• Reply patricia January 11, 2010 at 4:32 am

Actually, I love the string art idea!! So sweet and simple!

• Reply summerffa March 10, 2010 at 4:31 pm

What a neat project. Thanks for sharing.

• Reply Kelly @ Featheredflower March 22, 2011 at 7:16 pm

Wow, I so want to try this! It looks so simple but lovely.

• Reply Bree K February 26, 2012 at 3:55 am

Hello there.

Can you tell me the exact paint you used. I just love it. Way to go:)

• Reply Glo February 26, 2012 at 9:52 pm

I am about to paint, and was going to make my own chevron stencil for a window shade in my boys’ bathroom. So glad I was inspired to look online for one. Found this post, and have pinned it to my board on pinterest. I’ll share a link in a comment once the shade is complete. THANK YOU!

• Reply Glo February 28, 2012 at 4:20 am

Done. My boy asked for yellow, so it’s quite bright. We love it! Here’s a link to the picture of the finished product:

• Reply Richard March 3, 2012 at 10:55 pm

FYI your template is for the blue tape. The green tape is a bit wider.
    That will be helpful to anyone completing the project.

• Reply Amanda @ Burlap and Denim March 13, 2012 at 9:35 pm

Great tutorial. I love the drama of the gold and white.