Refreshing Your Home: 8 Tips

I’ve talked about this a few times before, but these tips never go out of style or season because they’re timeless tricks that decorator’s everywhere turn to whenever a client asks them to help refresh their space. Okay, perhaps not all of them but you’ve stepped into my world for a moment so let me tell you how I personally refresh my home to kick start the new year. The rollercoaster ride, er holiday season, has ended (whew!) and life is s l o w l y getting back to normal (it’s like trudging slowly over wet sand, huh?) the decorations are coming down and most are left with a house that feels rather, well, un-festive like. Maybe even depressing. Perhaps a bit naked? Well that’s not a bad thing because now you can start on a clean slate. Here are some new year’s ideas for freshening up your space.

(image: haust)

1. Bring in some fresh flowers and starting forcing those bulbs. That’s a big thing here anyway, bulbs galore in every store. I have to get started on that myself, but I picked up two tone tulips in pink and white already in bloom, which look really nice as they typically remind me of spring and the guarantee that winter will eventually end! Though don’t get me wrong, I’m enjoying winter very much thanks to all the cozy elements in my home that make me feel comfortable and happy. Winter isn’t half as bad when you stop thinking about warm weather and enjoy what you have, right? That’s the idea of this post, I want to help you to enjoy more of this moment as we all tend to concentrate too much on what we don’t have instead of what we do, right? If tulips aren’t your thing, try buying some succulents and make a terrarium (here’s a helpful how-to or have a look at mine here), go to your local florist and see what grabs your attention. And when you bring your little blooms home, arrange them with care so that you are also experiencing the moment of (sorry I’m about to get weird on you) touching and smelling and feeling them as you carefully snip and create a pretty little arrangement. I personally love that moment when I’m standing over the sink unwrapping my flowers, thinking of nothing more that what is happening in that space and time. It’s relaxing, and if you love classical music, put some on and hum along as you create. I find piano very relaxing so I play a lot of Yann Tiersen. Look him up, you’ll be surprised to see what lovely film he composed a soundtrack for. If that doesn’t get you in the mood to arrange flowers nothing will!

2. Warm it up! Since in my part of the world, it’s cold outside, I try to warm things up a bit with candles. I tend to use more tapers and tea lights, simply because I burn through so many and their often the cheapest to buy, but pillars and scented candles are equally nice. I have them on my windowsills, table, coffee table and in the bathroom for relaxing soaks. I group 3 tapers and 2 pillars on my coffee table and several tea lights on a shelf behind my sofa. It gets dark here around 3:30 each day, so the candles are aglow around that time to make the transition from day to night less painful. I also like to put candles in front of a small mirror like this, which is on the windowsill in my bedroom as it doubles the glow and looks really pretty. Remember, I grew up in a resort area on the beach with plenty of sunshine year round which means I’m not naturally a northern “cold weather” person. I had to learn to like winter, trust me.

(image: elena)

3. Make paper snowflakes, create a new wreath for winter, leave the white twinkle lights up (just hang them over the bookcase, over your bed, or along the fireplace mantle vs. on the tree which you’ve no doubt removed by now). Just because the holidays are over doesn’t mean you cannot still celebrate the winter season. Try wrapping your candles in pretty paper shown above. Yes you can wear white after Labor Day and yes you can leave your twinkle lights up until Spring or even later if that’s your thing. Who cares what people say, start your own traditions because we’re not put on earth to do things only one way and follow the masses. Can I get an amen?! I once had twinkle lights in a massive glass vase on top of my bookcase and left it as a light source year round. Hey, I was single and broke, it was the cheapest light I could make using things I already had, and it turned out to be a hit — my guests, and I, loved it. You can even still use your ornaments, just in fresh new ways. I wrote about this recently over at Real Simple, perhaps you’d like to check out my tips and photos there for a little inspiration?

(image: haust)

4. Drag out your cd collection and play some music you’ve not listened to in a long time, music that uplifts and makes you feel positive and energetic since energy is a big thing we’re all in need of right about now, right? I just took out my Amy Seeley cd. Lovely, lovely. I’ve missed you, Amy. I haven’t listened to her since last April before my relocation madness began. Great winter music.

5. Break a sweat. Grab a pilates, yoga, or any other fitness DVD and move your butt. Nothing makes you feel better post-holidays than exercise and if it’s too cold to go outdoors then move it! move it! indoors. I like to move it! I love to move it! Do you like to, move it? Ha ha. We also tend to like our homes more and complain less about the weather when we exercise regularly because it puts us into a more positive frame of mind. If you don’t want to exercise to a video, think of other options, like a fitness ball or weights. Or, try exercising the old-fashioned way and take a weekend to thorough clean and organize your home. Which reminds me, I need to practice what I preach and go organize my entryway, it’s mitten and boot chaos out there.

(image: hannah honey + jam)

6. Edit! Winter is a good time to photograph your space, look at the photos four hundred times over, and consider what works and what doesn’t work. And start editing from there. Edit, edit, edit! Do you really need 3 throws in your living room and that snuggie blanket from your mother-in-law? Maybe you can keep 2 and store 2 or donate them to those in need. Are 8 pillows on your bed a bit much? Is your linen closet bursting from the seams with 50 towels, some you’ve had since college? Maybe it’s time to simplify because there is a lot more time and energy involved in maintaining lots of things vs. less. Clean out your china cabinet while you’re at it, too. If you need some help editing your space and organizing your home, get a jump start on spring cleaning with Erin Doland’s book, Unclutter Your Life In One Week. She’s a peer of mine over at Real Simple and her book is both practical and very helpful.

(image:simply grove)

7. Move things around. Maybe your pendant over the dining room table would look better in the bedroom? That’s what decorator/blogger Kirsten Grove from Simply Grove thought anyway and viola! she painted her dining room fixture glossy black and hung it over her bed. Fabulous. I also love the throw on the bed, it really warms up her bedroom for winter. Try that too, you can grab those pretty throws at IKEA, here some use them on their dining room chairs and even on the sofa. Talk about cozy! And you know why moving things around is so smart? Because chances are you are home a little more than you will be when the weather warms up so it’s the perfect time to shuffle things around – who wants to decorate when the beach is calling your name? So move the sofa, move the chairs, swap out your current prints for other ones (even fabric or wallpaper can be framed and used as art), move it baby, go go go!

8. And… if all else fails, there is always hot cocoa. :)

How are your refreshing your home this month? Share your tips, link to your photos, share, share, share!!! :)

(images: credits linked below each.)

Posted by decor8 in Decorating Tips on January 06, 2010

1. Katie @ Making This Home commented
    January 6th, 2010 at 9:19am

Ooh I always like when you write these types of posts. Do you still have mountains of boxes in your house, waiting for a place to go? We finally have a bed ordered. It feels so good to lift some of those last moving-to-Germany projects off our list. Finally!
    Winter in Germany – we’re learning right with you, Holly!
    Katie
    .-= Katie @ Making This Home´s last blog ..Ahh Shucks =-.

2. decor8 commented
    January 6th, 2010 at 9:24am

Katie thank you! I emptied about 10 boxes during the first few weeks and organized things, but we’re living in a temporary place so I’ve left about 60 boxes in the basement to sort through once we move. It will do doubt be very exciting when I tear throw everything at that point… for now, I’m living on bread and water so to speak anticipating when I can hang my art, wallpaper, and use the things I brought over — like craft and art supplies, etc. We’ve been hunting for a new flat for awhile, nothing yet, it’s very hard to find the right fit here as the best places seem to be taken and when good places come up, there is usually an “open house” held and then the landlord picks from the masses of applications which tenant will live in his dwelling. It’s highly competitive here.

3. laura(3wordTweets) commented
    January 6th, 2010 at 9:28am

oh Holly, coffee and your blog…heaven
    .-= laura(3wordTweets)´s last blog ..3wordTweets: amen to this ~ RT @rhogroupee 2010: The Year of Brownies: http://bit.ly/6lSFny =-.

4. Tricia McKellar commented
    January 6th, 2010 at 9:28am

Holly– how do you know just what I need to hear when I need to hear it? Life has been busy and it’s hard getting in to the New Year even though I know 2010 is going to be fabulous! I’ve been eating and stressing too much! I need to de-clutter and move my butt :) Thanks Holly! :)
    .-= Tricia McKellar´s last blog ..52 Weeks of Blogging Your Passion =-.

5. Diana commented
    January 6th, 2010 at 9:29am

Oh Holly such a timely and inspiring post! I traditionally take down our Christmas decorations today (it being Epiphany – the 12th day of Christmas) and DH & I were both feeling a bit sad.

Now I am psyched to go out and purchase some paperwhite bulbs and move some plants around to give them better winter light, etc. It will be good to have things be a bit less cluttered without so many little decorations up, honestly.
    .-= Diana´s last blog ..A Glimpse of Days Past =-.

6. Valerie commented
    January 6th, 2010 at 9:30am

I love the idea to keep celebrating winter even though the Holidays are past. I think that’s why winter sometimes seems so long… The Holidays feel like the peak and then in January psychologically I want winter to be over and spring to come. So I’m going to shift my mindset a little and keep celebrating winter. Time for hot cocoa…
    .-= Valerie´s last blog ..Retro ‘Angelo =-.

7. bright and blithe commented
    January 6th, 2010 at 9:35am

I’m beginning the new year exploring ways to repurpose and recycle for creative affordable storage. I finally found a way to corral my ribbon stash.

.-= bright and blithe´s last blog ..noticing =-.

8. jenna at sweet fine day commented
    January 6th, 2010 at 9:35am

Nice tips holly. good to read today as I’ve been feeling sluggish, more due to being under the weather than coming down from the holidays. But great tips to live by. Think I will bring some of my candles out now that the little ones are older.
    .-= jenna at sweet fine day´s last blog ..cramming more of Christmas, after Christmas =-.

9. gina commented
    January 6th, 2010 at 9:42am

Amen! I’m a fan of leaving up the twinkle lights, this time of year I enjoy them best when I wake to a chilly dark morning- feels like a more gentle nudge into the day. Fun tips, thanks as always for sharing.
    .-= gina´s last blog ..Winter Retreat….and now back to reality =-.

10. Erica Sara commented
    January 6th, 2010 at 9:51am

This couldnt have come at a better time! I’m in total re-decorator mode lately. Thanks for the tips!
    .-= Erica Sara´s last blog ..Only One Happiness in Life =-.

11. Beth perry commented
    January 6th, 2010 at 9:53am

My bf and I are becoming foster parents to a puggle named Tucker! He is adorable and definitely refreshing our apt! :D
    .-= Beth perry´s last blog ..Tucker and Inspiration =-.

12. Jason Thompson commented
    January 6th, 2010 at 9:56am

These suggestions are really great. I wish I had time to stop, take a deep breath, and look at our loft with fresh eyes to see what really needs to be done to make our home more comfortable. Unfortunately, with a busy bindery, little children and limited budget, all I see is the missing trim, the paint job that needs to be redone and the legos on the floor. I love these kinds of posts Holly, you inspire me to just DO it.
    .-= Jason Thompson´s last blog ..Holiday Wreaths =-.

13. Danielle@Newlyweds Paradise commented
    January 6th, 2010 at 9:56am

I love how you talk about refreshing yourself in the home! After all, we are the only people who make our house a home. :-)

14. valisa commented
    January 6th, 2010 at 10:03am

I always start with myself because I think when I feel sexy, I make everything else sexy ;-) so I put on my stiletto – since it is impossible to wear them outside in this snow – put the CD on and start vacuuming, fluffing the pillows, rearranging things and cooking/baking! Trust me it works!!!

15. Emily commented
    January 6th, 2010 at 10:04am

This is a great post for me today because I finally just took down the tree and was feeling a little blah about the un-holidayed apartment. Thanks for the tips! I just started some paperwhite bulbs and am going to pull out the scented candles when it gets dark at 5 pm :(.

16. Ashley commented
    January 6th, 2010 at 10:06am

Great post! I’m actually enjoying the lack of holiday clutter… and pulling out the exercise DVDs! One of my favs is Tracy Anderson – she does a combo of ballet/pilates moves to tone and lengthen (man can you feel it too).

Also, I totally support the twinkle lights year round. I left some up in our bedroom above the entertainment system and it really helps the room feel cozy. I’ll take a pic today and post it on my blog :)

All the best!!
    Ashley CF

17. Sharalee commented
    January 6th, 2010 at 10:09am

Thanks to you I’ve just been listening to Amy Seeley for the past hour and am much happier for it! Now I’m off to reorganize…
    Thank you Holly! xo
    .-= Sharalee´s last blog ..A winter wonderland =-.

18. alli/hooray commented
    January 6th, 2010 at 10:12am

Ah – thanks, Holly for this post. I like these types of lists, I always need some good inspiration this time of year after christmas has ended & everything returns to normal.

19. lynda commented
    January 6th, 2010 at 10:14am

GREAT tips and pics Holly!! I too also continue to celebrate ‘winter’… especially being down here in FL!! Although we are blessed with beautiful warm sunny days most of the year, I enJOY having the seasons set the stage in our home… I left up wintery photos, branches, and pine cones… but have fresh white flowers here in the office…

Might have to replace the hot cocoa with black chai tea though… cold snap came through here and got sick… again! So taking the time to catch up on tweeting and blog reading…
    .-= lynda´s last blog ..Are you a Curb Minor? a Freegan? or a Dumpster Diver? =-.

20. Lisa commented
    January 6th, 2010 at 10:15am

Excellent post and very good ideas!! I am a new follower and loving every part of your blog. :)
    .-= Lisa´s last blog ..Time will Always be HERE as long as We’re HERE =-.

21. Katie @ goodLife {eats} commented
    January 6th, 2010 at 10:27am

I definitely agree with the move it around suggestion. We rearranged out family room over Christmas to fit the big tree in (instead of in the formal room like usual). I like the rearrangement so much it’s staying. I also have plans for rearranging our bedroom that will make it feel like a fresh new space.
    .-= Katie @ goodLife {eats}´s last blog ..$5 Food + Health Magazines =-.

22. Gosia commented
    January 6th, 2010 at 10:28am

Lovely post. I discovered yesterday that my spring bulbs sitting on the balcony are peaking through the soil. How exciting. Time is right now to find a pretty planter, like the striped ones you feature, and move the blooming beauties inside. Thank you for the tips.
    .-= Gosia´s last blog ..Focaccia, Anyone? =-.

23. decor8 commented
    January 6th, 2010 at 10:38am

Valisa – A girl who vacuums in stilettos – a girl after my own heart! That is fabulous. :) Truly. Fabulous.

24. jenn commented
    January 6th, 2010 at 10:38am

with it being 29 degrees here in the south right now this post certainly is helping me look on the bright side of this blustery winter. perhaps i will take a nod from you and use today to do some redecorating. thanks!
    .-= jenn´s last blog ..2010! =-.

25. decor8 commented
    January 6th, 2010 at 10:39am

Jason if I still lived nearby I’d come help you guys! :) :) :)

26. decor8 commented
    January 6th, 2010 at 10:39am

Gina – yup, amen and praise the lord for twinkle lights. :o)

27. Johanna commented
    January 6th, 2010 at 10:40am

Wow, what wonderful tips! I can’t wait to implement some of these this weekend. My space has been extra cluttered for the past several weeks since moving and getting new stuff over the holidays. I have to say, the clutter and lack of space is driving me batty!
    .-= Johanna´s last blog ..Recovering from the toxic holiday junk fest! =-.

28. Kristin commented
    January 6th, 2010 at 10:49am

I would die without candles – okay.. maybe not so drastic. They always make me feel good about my spaces though – making the room feel more alive.

And I’m going to try Valisa’s stiletto trick!
    .-= Kristin´s last blog ..Designing with Discarded Materials =-.

29. erin commented
    January 6th, 2010 at 10:49am

lovely ideas for embracing winter. as for me, i’m planning on finally sewing some curtains, planting some bulbs, and investing in a little pile of beeswax candles to keep things warm and glowing. happy new year, holly!
    .-= erin´s last blog ..blue skies. =-.

30. Iva commented
    January 6th, 2010 at 11:10am

What a great post, Holly! You got the psychological side pretty well, at least I do feel like you described. I don’t have a christmas tree in my place since I spend the holidays at my parents’ house and I am not there when the tree and all the decoration is removed, but I still remember how crappy I felt when I had to help put the ornaments back in the boxes, it was so depressing!
    I still have a lot of things to do in my home even though it’s been a whole year since I moved. I have a few projects in mind like bringing here my great grandmother’s wardrobe and refreshing it, designing a sitting place, placing my new curtains etc. I just brought some gorgeous throws that my grandma made a while back and I love how much coziness they add.

p.s. I am daily applying your tip about burning candles when it’s dark and cold outside and it definitely does the trick! :)
    .-= Iva´s last blog ..Busy Week =-.

31. Brigitte commented
    January 6th, 2010 at 11:11am

Amen!

I just took down the decorations for our New Year’s Eve party, but I haven’t put up my former bits and bobs. We used tea lights for the party, and it’s made me want to incorporate more candles into my decor. But I never seemed to have a knack for it and couldn’t quite figure out how. These tips came just in time!
    .-= Brigitte´s last blog ..Black in the Kitchen =-.

32. honey living commented
    January 6th, 2010 at 11:13am

every post i read confirms why i always save your blog for last, to savor before i officially start working. so inspiring.

and i am with you on the touching and smelling of the flowers. the present-ness of it is inspiring and centering. not weird to me at all!
    .-= honey living´s last blog ..color to spare =-.

33. April (Everything Little Miss) commented
    January 6th, 2010 at 11:18am

These are fun suggestions. I love the winter, even though it is pretty cold. I make sure to open my curtains and blinds when it’s sunny out to let as much warmth in as possible. Plus, the sun always energizing and brightens my mood.
    .-= April (Everything Little Miss)´s last blog ..goals for 2010 =-.

34. Angel commented
    January 6th, 2010 at 11:19am

I’m currently completely redecorating. I’ve rearranged the furniture in the master bedroom and guest bedroom. I’m going to be painting the master bedroom. The living room is getting a new colour scheme, some new pictures and some new furniture!!!

I’m really enjoying it too! I love planning, testing paint colours, decorating and organising.
    .-= Angel´s last blog ..Organising Month: Task 1 – Craft Supplies =-.

35. thedoodlegirl commented
    January 6th, 2010 at 11:32am

The part about you walking into a store with your mittens…yeah, I laughed out loud! You are hilarious. WONDERFUL images, as usual!!
    .-= thedoodlegirl´s last blog ..Mixed Media Monday =-.

36. Shanon commented
    January 6th, 2010 at 11:38am

Mmmm… I like how you pointed out that sometimes we focus on what we don’t have, instead of what we do. And if what we have is snow and cold, it might just be easier to embrace it. =)

Oh, and if all else fails, my vote is for a Hot Toddy. ; )
    .-= Shanon´s last blog ..Psst! =-.

37. Anissa commented
    January 6th, 2010 at 11:45am

thank you for these tips! i agree with the flowers and candles and i’ve still got my paper snowflakes hanging from the ceiling! i’ve been redecorating our apartment little by little since october. i slowed down around the holidays but it seems like now that it is freezing out i’m back to rearranging!
    .-= Anissa´s last blog ..On The Hunt : Globes & Cathrineholm =-.

38. chez danisse commented
    January 6th, 2010 at 12:54pm

Yes! Today! It’s the first day of the rest of my life, right?

39. Stacey commented
    January 6th, 2010 at 12:58pm

Great tips – I really like the idea of burning a lot of candles during winter months. I don’t usually do that, because I forget that I have candles, but I should start setting them up around the house.
    .-= Stacey´s last blog ..The ABC’s of moving =-.

40. Kira commented
    January 6th, 2010 at 1:34pm

I loved this post! Just what I (and apparently everyone else) needed.
    This year I really focused on being positive while taking my Christmas decorations down, as this ritual usually makes me sad that xmas is over.
    When I was home over Christmas I (as I always do) went to a lot of second hand stores and bought a few new candle sticks in different sizes, and I made a small arrangement with different types of candlesticks and two small, glass tealight holders on a golden plate, and it really lights up the dark days!
    I’m all for the bulbs too, and remembering to put up candles for cosy dinners with your special someone :)

Thank you so much for sharing!
    x Kira
    .-= Kira´s last blog ..Monday Show and Tell =-.

41. Winter commented
    January 6th, 2010 at 1:39pm

Amen Sister

42. Jessica commented
    January 6th, 2010 at 1:50pm

Another A+ post from Holly! I left one strand of twinkles above my kitchen sink and it makes washing the dinner dishes infinitely more enjoyable (no dishwasher). I’ve also been moving furniture around which has been a favorite hobby since I was 9 years old. It never fails to energize me. I’m not done fussing with it yet so no pics to share. I am inspired though to keep going!
    .-= Jessica´s last blog ..100 Photos: No. 1 =-.

43. lina commented
    January 6th, 2010 at 1:58pm

oh thank you! just what i needed today!

44. Kristen commented
    January 6th, 2010 at 2:01pm

I am in the process of editing my space and it feels great! I am working on cleaning out the clutter. It is funny how clearing out the clutter often means things get messier before they get cleaner!
    .-= Kristen´s last blog ..Why Not Sew Your Own Dress? =-.

45. Beth commented
    January 6th, 2010 at 3:01pm

Very clever & inspiring tips. Every year, I think about using the Christmas lights in a different way after taking down my tree. Maybe this year I will actually do it. To get through cold Maine winters, I always have tons of candles (and not just for when the power goes out!). I am a candle nut, and so I buy tea lights by the bag. Also, I store them in my freezer — they burn much more slowly after having been frozen. Try it! Cheers to all for a very Happy New Year!
    .-= Beth´s last blog ..Silver Sunday ~ January 3rd =-.

46. decor8 commented
    January 6th, 2010 at 3:30pm

Jessica keep going girl. And when you’re finished, think of me and share!!! :) :)

47. Amber commented
    January 6th, 2010 at 4:13pm

I aboslutely love that first picture, but I especially love that tealight candle holder. Care to share where you found it??

48. Chelsea Tyler commented
    January 6th, 2010 at 4:13pm

I love the idea for using a step stool as a side table!

xx
    C

49. Kathleen commented
    January 6th, 2010 at 4:55pm

Thank you. My home and I need a breath of fresh air.

50. Emma commented
    January 6th, 2010 at 6:15pm

Thanks Holly – as much as it seems bizarre because I am sweltering through a long, hot, dry Australian summer! Like your post today about spring season – always looking ahead, that’s why (strangely) I find European and American design blogs so helpful, they’re a season ahead. I am not a winter person in even Australia, I am in admiration of you embracing a German winter! It’s very refreshing in a southern hemisphere summer to be scrolling through reading about snow and mittens and hot chocolate. Ideas for May when the chill hits us here – thank you.
    .-= Emma´s last blog ..{ A Beautiful Day – Courtney and Brian } =-.

51. Elena commented
    January 6th, 2010 at 11:43pm

Thank you for including my photo in the article Holly! You have a gift of writing that touches people on a personal level! Where I am from they celebrate Christmas today (Orthodox is on Jan. 7) and here holidays are over and I am already thinking about spring. These ideas are exactly what I need right now! Thanks so much for the inspiration! :)

52. Kenziepoo commented
    January 7th, 2010 at 2:54am

Hi Holly thanks so much for such an Inspirational post! I still haven’t taken down my Christmas Decor, so this definitely encouraged me to do so, and to Freshen up my home with these tips! I love that last photo, and that gorgeous newly painted chandelier! :)

53. Coco commented
    January 7th, 2010 at 8:57am

I’m decorating and refreshing my home all the time, not that i like to chance thinks that much but there is just a lot to be done always ;)
    we are redecorating our bedroom and while cleaning up i found an old vase with (fake but beautiful) flowers and i thought it was a shame it was catching dust in our bedroom so I put them on our livingroom-table and it looks beautiful and as new :D i really love how it turned out!

I also recently bought a new kitchensofa (old swedish wooden sofa) and can’t wait untill it will be deliverd and our dining room will be so much better (at least i hope it will :D)
    .-= Coco´s last blog ..Cuffed with Birds =-.

54. Beautymist commented
    January 7th, 2010 at 12:00pm

Wonderful, inspirational post!

I have the candles lit, an amaryllis bulb growing in the living-room, succulents too, and need to declutter my bedroom.

Thanks for the inspiration!

BM

55. Jodi Anderson commented
    January 8th, 2010 at 3:55pm

I love to freshen the home and mind in January, and this post is really inspiring and will help me out with that goal. Yay.

56. An Affair With Fashion commented
    January 11th, 2010 at 5:01am

Love this post!
    Thanks for sharing these tips! Today I looked around my home and decided it needed a pick up so your post was very timely.
    Thanks

57. Jennifer B commented
    January 12th, 2010 at 1:43am

You just made my night by introducing me to Yann Tiersen- or reintroducing him to me since I have long been an Amelie fan. Thank you!

58. juliette commented
    January 13th, 2010 at 1:02pm

oh yes – hot cocoa is where it’s at! This weekend I’ll finally stash all the Christmas stuff and then it’s back to getting this place ship shape! thanks for the push!
    .-= juliette´s last blog ..Corner View: Holiday =-.

59. LeeAnn commented
    February 15th, 2010 at 8:12am

Just now seeing this blog .. great tips. Thank you!!

60. Ashley commented
    May 11th, 2010 at 10:00am

Now that it’s warming up, we have stopped using our wood-burning fireplace for the season. My hubby suggested we clean it out, so I left it to him to sweep it out, and remove the old logs. Now I have placed large chunky candle holders inside it that would normally sit atop the mantle. I have collected a variety of vintage ones and new, all different materials (metals, wood, stone, etc.) and all varying heights…and grouped them inside the empty fire. I added a mix of huge candles, and the ambiance is great. It warms up the room, and is a practical way of using the fireplace for the summer months!!

61. dellilah commented
    May 30th, 2011 at 10:35pm

Dear Holly! I have been reading your blog since ages however i never commented much as I wanted to . i have just started my blog http://threevikingsandaking.blogspot.com/ thanks to u and the other wonderful ladies of the blog world. Your posts are mor than perrrrrrrfect and relaxing to read. I so agree with the comment above, your post and a steaming coffee , comfort combo! much love from the dunes.
    dellilah´s last blog post ..THREE VIKINGS AND A KING- its a keeper