West Elm Love

January 7, 2010

After that House Doctor post that sent everyone swooning (yay!) I feel like I owe my friends back in the US of A a little local love, right? So I thought about a shop close to home and West Elm popped into mind. I know, you guys may be sick of it because well, it’s right down the street for you but now that I’ve jumped the pond I’m totally jealous of you guys stateside because I cannot order from them since they won’t ship overseas (boooo!). I spot a few lovely things there that I ‘d love to get my hands on. Here are some of my faves that just may make you tingle and shake too. :)

West Elm Love

1. upholstered slipper chair, 2. wrap dining chairs, 3. poufs (and they’re on sale. I want the grey/white one though the faux fur one is great, very shaggy – just add eyes and you have a pet!) and 4. top-drawer side tables.

West Elm Love

1. top drawer coffee table, 2. niche furniture in white (very Jonathan Adler on a budget, right? I also like how that 3 drawer would work great in an entryway.), 3. safari rug in gray and white (I can do zebra when it’s subtle like this and not shaped like a road kill zebra) and 4. chunky tassel throw. yum.meeee.

West Elm Love

And people don’t you agree that West Elm always knocks it out of the park with their lighting? I am drooling over this round uplight lamp. We don’t have access to lighting that is this affordable and stylish in Germany on the same level as Americans do. Yes, there is Habitat and a few other shops, but mostly Germans have greater access to either high end or run of the mill lighting but nothing in between. Think American lighting options 15 years ago back before West Elm and Target saved us.

West Elm Love

1. Tall Drum pendant (sharp, sharp, sharp. Fantastic color and I LOVE the silver lining! ), 2. centerpiece candelabra, 3. lacquer office storage, 4. wall mounted bookcase — what a hot little number that is.

And hello… is it me or is West Elm really rocking the whole styling/photography thing lately? That yellow and white desk set up directly above is very Real Simple or Martha Stewart Living, right? And the whole yellow, gray, white and silver theme is really calling to me again. But this is so typical and happens each and every Spring the moment I start seeing all of that yellow basking alongside gun metal and pale gray tones…

There are so many lovely things, it’s tempting to not binge and just West Elm your whole house (though how unoriginal would that be?). Though in moderation, there are definitely some pieces here that I can absolutely see purchasing if I still had access to their products. That grayish pendant for one with the silver lining. I’m smitten by that thing and I’m wondering now how I can DIY a silver lining into a pendant that I brought over from the states. I have to look into this… And that coffee table is another great piece, along with those wrap dining chairs – a pair of them around a small cafe table would be perfect for an eat-in kitchen.

Is this collection speaking to anyone else out there?

(images: west elm)

You Might Also Like

• Reply ktrn January 7, 2010 at 6:01 am

This is again a huge inspiration for me!
    .-= ktrn´s last blog ..happy 2010 =-.

• Reply nikkieve January 7, 2010 at 6:25 am

Amazing! so inspiring!
    I especially love the lamps they are defiantly gorgeous!

.-= nikkieve´s last blog ..perfectly red lips =-.

• Reply julie January 7, 2010 at 6:31 am

I love those side tables – white with timber accents is so, so fresh! The office accessories look super cute on the yellow cabinet. Must stop loving everything just because it’s yellow.
    .-= julie´s last blog ..shannon fricke workshops =-.

• Reply suzanne January 7, 2010 at 7:14 am

I just received my West Elm catalogue in the mail a few days ago…started flipping through…and had to put it down because my heart was racing. :)
    It’s been a few days ~ I think I can calmly sit & look & think now…

• Reply ninainvorm January 7, 2010 at 7:48 am

I really like those wrap dining chairs, and also I like the white dining chairs in the last picture. They look pretty vintage to me, so I wonder if they in fact are vintage or that they’ve taken a model like this into production again. I’d love to lay my hands on some of those (oh no, I shouldn’t, I already have plenty of dining chairs! ;))

• Reply Victoria Klein January 7, 2010 at 7:59 am

Just got their new catalog in the mail yesterday & was swooning! It’s hard to resist the yellow/gray color combo. :D
    .-= Victoria Klein´s last blog ..2010 Project 365 :: Day 006 =-.

• Reply Mia Bella January 7, 2010 at 8:25 am

I love the crisp fresh look that is incorporated here. What a great way to change your area after the holidays.

• Reply kellie January 7, 2010 at 8:45 am

I love everything! As for the silver lining in the lampshade, I had an idea… I bought some silver contact paper at Target (I know that doesn’t help in Germany but maybe you could find some online) and I think I’m going to try it on a pair of lampshades that I have. It’s worth a shot!

• Reply Saima January 7, 2010 at 8:58 am

Wow, I’m so jealous. We should start a “Bring West Elm to Europe” petition. Who’s with me?! :)
    .-= Saima´s last blog ..The Mangle Xmas Sale =-.

• Reply Aspirations of a Southern Housewife January 7, 2010 at 9:06 am

LOVE West Elm and one of the things I appreciate is how even in a more traditional setting, one can work in some of their pieces. And there styling has gotten fantastic. I’m big into the gray/yellow now too and am swooning over the slipper chair!
    .-= Aspirations of a Southern Housewife´s last blog ..Shopping Temptations… and my only "organization" post =-.

• Reply Danielle@Newlyweds Paradise January 7, 2010 at 9:07 am

If I could, I would marry West Elm…sigh…

• Reply michelle January 7, 2010 at 9:14 am

i really love what west elm has done for spring, especially the top drawer coffee table. it’s my favorite furniture piece. i’m also really happy to see a lot more of their furniture is available in walnut toned woods, i was getting a little tired of “espresso”.
    .-= michelle´s last blog ..Spotted: Wallpaper by Numbers =-.

• Reply Kim January 7, 2010 at 9:59 am

I love the plastic chairs! And I completely agree with you – this color scheme is fantastic!

:) Kim
    .-= Kim´s last blog .. =-.

• Reply Melissa de la Fuente January 7, 2010 at 10:06 am

You are so right my dear! Thanks for the US love :) That rug, coffee table, desk set, pouf, etc are all soooo good. Ooh! And that pendant with the subtle silver inside? Loooove….
    .-= Melissa de la Fuente´s last blog ..The little things: etsy =-.

• Reply City Chic - Jamie January 7, 2010 at 11:03 am

I had my first visit to a West Elm store this weekend and they had some great clearance items I picked up. One was a little white box with a silver butterfly – made me think of you :) And you’re right on with their lamps, they have some fantastic textures and colors I am drooling over.
    .-= City Chic – Jamie´s last blog ..Sew in Love =-.

• Reply katie January 7, 2010 at 11:16 am

West Elm really has knocked it out of the park with this collection. Lots of great pieces! I’m totally loving those little round uplight lamps, especially in the gold hammered metal. So glam! But not over the top glam.

And I missed the grey/silver lined pendant. That’s a beauty.

You could try using silver leaf on the inside. Something like this:
    .-= katie´s last blog ..Porcelain’s Weekend Diptychs =-.

• Reply Jessica January 7, 2010 at 11:49 am

I completely agree with Suzanne and Victoria, the new catalog is amazing! I had actually started to drift away from their aesthetic, but these new pictures are exactly what I’ve been trying to do in my apartment. I’m completely in love with West Elm again!

On another note, unfortunately I’ve not yet been able to make my apartment look remotely as beautiful as any of their sets. I think I’m too picky about the yellow objects I bring into my home, because I never seem to find ones that are the “right” shade.

• Reply Pixie January 7, 2010 at 1:54 pm

road kill zebra TOTALLY cracked me up! lol…but I completely understand.
    .-= Pixie´s last blog ..Artful Veggies! =-.

• Reply Janet January 7, 2010 at 3:12 pm

Looooove the poufs and the round uplight lamp. West Elm is my favorite and our local one is closing, which means the closest store to us will be Santa Monica, urrggghhh.
    .-= Janet´s last blog ..Getting Organized =-.

• Reply Natasha January 7, 2010 at 3:19 pm

LOVE LOVE the grey and white zebra rug

• Reply Heidi Jo January 7, 2010 at 4:57 pm

I am love with West Elm lately because I just found out there is one 45 minutes from me! And I just got their recent mag and am loving too many things! Those poufs are amazing though. I might have to bring one home.

• Reply Piper January 7, 2010 at 5:22 pm

LOVE west elm…especially the spring catalogs. they always do such a great job of coming out with cool colors when i’m feeling the need for color in my life! my living room is done in great shades of grayish-brown…so the yellow accents would be perfect! sigh…if only i could afford everything i want :) although i feel like i HAVE to have the yellow dining chairs!
    .-= Piper´s last blog ..{dreaming…} =-.

• Reply Rebecca Ward January 7, 2010 at 6:34 pm

I was so happy when West Elm moved into my neighborhood (30 min. drive is worth it!) and have been drooling in their windows ever since! I blogged about some fabulous hurricanes they had months back that are sadly gone for good but I secretly look at the photos now and again to take me to my happy place. Love the new products for the year!

• Reply Jules January 7, 2010 at 8:12 pm

You knocked it out of the park with this one, Holly. No wonder they were so pleased!
    .-= Jules´s last blog ..Weight Watchers, Day 1 =-.

• Reply Genelle January 7, 2010 at 9:24 pm

Nice collection. Hadn’t heard of West Elm so I was glad to see them in your blog! Love the round upright, table lamp! Might have to figure them into my decor…

The bedding (safari rug picture) is great too! And the throws! Oh, la, la!

.-= Genelle´s last blog ..Springtime Blooms and Windowboxes Card =-.

• Reply patricia January 8, 2010 at 2:41 pm

Those side tables are completely calling my name!

• Reply Alaina @ LiveCreatingYourself January 8, 2010 at 4:00 pm

YES! Just did a post dedicated to West Elm’s spring line myself! Included a few of the same items. My FAVORITE thing has got to be the grey and white safari rug. And I couldn’t agree more about their styling. They’ve added some new great bedding options, as well!

• Reply Crissy January 8, 2010 at 4:59 pm

I’m loving this collection. I’m actually working on my home office this week.. and my color palette has the grays and yellows in it.

I wish I would of seen this before i bought my current chair because i love the slipper chair
    .-= Crissy´s last blog ..Vintage Where? =-.

• Reply Out and About Africa January 8, 2010 at 10:48 pm

Great collection. I have the pouf in espresso/ivory but now that I’m seeing the gray and the fur one…i’m beginning to question if i need a change :)
    .-= Out and About Africa´s last blog ..Sounds of Africa: Daara J =-.

• Reply becky from hatch January 9, 2010 at 5:21 pm

Some of their misses I love to make fun of, but they really are great. I shouldn’t tell you that they just had and INSANE in store sale. I got two sets of nesting tables for $35 each (usually something like $249 each), and my friend Wicki picked up a bunch of overlapping squares barstools for $75/each (usually $250). I am LOVING the yellow in the new catalog. The funny thing is, I got a CB2 catalog the next day and they were all about the canary as well. It must be the color of the year.
    .-= becky from hatch´s last blog ..Clever Taxidermy at Anthropologie =-.

• Reply Kim January 12, 2010 at 8:44 pm

Man, I love the grey and white….and now I’m scheming to find a new home for my coffee table to make room for that gorgeousness.

• Reply Mascha January 25, 2010 at 6:11 am

Please d start a petition to bring West Elm to Europe. I miss West Elm!

• Reply maria June 22, 2011 at 12:25 am

I just made an entire West Elm wishlist in pinterest (www.pinterest.com/livligonline/wishlist), so I need West Elm to come to Europe (Netherlands for example… London or Paris woud be great as well)!!! Like, soon pleaaaase!