Arts + Crafts

Jacqueline Kari Bos

January 15, 2010

Jacqueline (Jackie) Kari Bos is a successful freelance designer and illustrator in New York City who combines found imagery with hand drawings to create whimsical illustrative work. From small books created in limited editions to prints and pillows, Jackie has a unique eye and I just love the softness of her work and her color palette in addition to the stories her work tell. Here is a glimpse into Jackie’s world…

Jacqueline Kari Bos

Jacqueline Kari Bos

Jacqueline Kari Bos

Jacqueline Kari Bos

I’d love to just sit down with Jackie for an afternoon in her Brooklyn home and watch her create… I love the finished work but find the process so intriguing as an artist builds a piece, layer by layer, thought by thought… to an artist this is so second nature and I don’t always think they realize how others would love the opportunity to watch them. My friend once told me that she would be so embarrassed to have someone watch her work, it would be so boring for them and she thinks it may not inspire anyone but I feel exactly the opposite, to watch the blossoming of a flower is often sweeter than the final bloom or as sweet I should say.

Do you also like to watch an artist at work? Why do you think that is?

You can find her online in a variety of places from her blog to her etsy shop, book shop and website. Can’t you imagine her designs at Urban Outfitters in homewares or as prints on tee shirts and sweatshirts?

(images: jackie kari bos)

19 Comments

• Reply My Owl Barn January 15, 2010 at 12:50 pm

If I ever get a chance to watch an artist like Jackie create, I’ll grab that golden opportunity with both hands and enjoy it!
    .-= My Owl Barn´s last blog ..Friday Freebie! =-.

• Reply Samia January 15, 2010 at 12:57 pm

I absolutely love her work! I featured her on my blog a few days ago! http://burrsandberries.com/?p=238 I agree with your Holly, I am a graphic designer as well and indulge in the process work – People tend not to give it as much importance and attention as it deserves. Plus it’s always fun and you never know how things shape up!
    .-= Samia´s last blog ..Turquoise =-.

• Reply joana January 15, 2010 at 1:02 pm

her work is wonderful!
    .-= joana´s last blog ..Polaroid Picture Frames =-.

• Reply ampa azorin January 15, 2010 at 1:09 pm

wow
    that’s amazing!!!!

• Reply Mariss January 15, 2010 at 1:21 pm

Her work is fantastic! Thanks for pointing her out, I’ll be adding her to my bloglines stat!
    .-= Mariss´s last blog ..Happiness is…. =-.

• Reply Nuit January 15, 2010 at 1:40 pm

this is gorgeous! easy to tell she has a great imagination. It’s all like childhood dreams or some modern version of Alice in Wonderland.. I love it!
    .-= Nuit´s last blog ..Lisa Fine Textiles =-.

• Reply rowena January 15, 2010 at 1:47 pm

AWesome artist. Love her shop. What an imagination.
    .-= rowena´s last blog ..Project Log and Map Making =-.

• Reply erin flett January 15, 2010 at 1:57 pm

LOVE THESE! Very Beautiful! e

• Reply cristin @ simplified bee January 15, 2010 at 2:03 pm

Beautiful, talented artist. Great find! Thanks!

TGIF…

cristin
    .-= cristin @ simplified bee´s last blog ..Friday Find: Annette Tatum Bedding Collection and Book Giveaway =-.

• Reply Minnie January 15, 2010 at 2:23 pm

I agree that it’s fascinating watching an artist at work. Really, any artist but particularly one who is passionate about her/his work. I always thought artist Geninne Zlatkis in Mexico hit it right on the mark with her video post that was just her at work. Her work is beautiful and watching her work makes it that much more accessible. I can’t wait to check out this artist’s site..
    .-= Minnie´s last blog ..This Vogue house looks like mine =-.

• Reply Miss Wedding January 15, 2010 at 2:47 pm

I love her work. Those cushions are fab and the illustrations are beautiful. You always find such lovely things to blog about!
    .-= Miss Wedding´s last blog ..Wedding Table Name Ideas =-.

• Reply Christine January 15, 2010 at 3:27 pm

Jacqueline’s work is really wonderful~fresh, vibrant and alive:)
    I love watching an artist create~their quiet movements are so soothing (the sound of the tap tap of a brush against a canvas, instruments gingerly picked up and put down on a table)~ it’s so interesting to see that invisible “creative” spirit “manifest itself right before your eyes.
    That being said when I work I have be alone, with no one around otherwise I find that flow disrupted. I’m glad there are artists who don’t mind though :)
    .-= Christine´s last blog ..Resolute =-.

• Reply Manette January 15, 2010 at 3:35 pm

Yes, I love to observe other artist in their environment and process, as you get a deeper sense of appreciation for their work, talent and passion. As an artist myself though, I prefer to be left alone to create, and experiment. It is a very self rewarding experience. My 9 – 5 job is very public, interactive and includes lots of people, and my art is all mine and very personal. But its fun to share once a project is done.
    .-= Manette´s last blog ..Rare Ocean Beauty Sea Glass Necklace =-.

• Reply Melissa de la Fuente January 15, 2010 at 4:23 pm

ooh….thank you so much for the introduction hun! How beautiful and I adore her shop! Everything is so romantic and beautiful! Have a fantastic weekend hun!
    xo
    Melis

• Reply The Designer Insider January 15, 2010 at 8:39 pm

What beautiful illustrations! Her talent is unbelievable! Thanks for the great article.

• Reply geekwif January 19, 2010 at 8:19 am

Newcomer here … I agree that it would be fascinating to watch an artist like Jackie work, but I – and I think a lot of artists feel this way, whether they are painters, designers, writers, etc – would have difficulty working with someone watching over my shoulder. It is such an intensely personal process. It would be like letting someone peer into your soul with absolutely no safeguards. There are some, however, who encourage those who want to observe their work in progress. And the world of artists is probably better off for those who do, since we can learn so much from them.
    .-= geekwif´s last blog ..Catching Up =-.

• Reply Penny Patten January 19, 2010 at 1:23 pm

So fun and whimsical!
    .-= Penny Patten´s last blog ..Enchanted Wood =-.

• Reply daydream lily January 21, 2010 at 4:27 pm

I love her work!! I have her little zine and its gorgeous. Now Id love to get some pillowcases.
    .-= daydream lily´s last blog ..Show Your Bow =-.

• Reply Modern Furniture January 22, 2010 at 8:46 am

Excellent work. her design is really wonderful, we can see this artist can do a great work using different kind of materials