Just A Peek

Decorating comes in all shapes and sizes yet time and time again my eye gravitates towards homes that are well edited and creative, places where you know details matter. My friend has a very well edited home — even shampoo bottles are discarded and contents poured into clear plastic bottles instead so that the tub looks simple and neat. THE TUB. Hello. I am detailed-oriented and even I don’t do that! But it’s something to aspire to so I think I’ll talk to my husband because I often close the shower curtain to hide all of the ugly labels anyway. In the states it was different, the shampoo and conditioners that I used had the best packaging but here product packaging is a bit more generic and the good stuff in the gorgeous bottles is expensive. I simply do not want to shell out $25-30 for an 8 ounce bottle of shampoo.

Just a peek...

Sweet Berry Me

But shampoo bottles aside, I really appreciate people who put SO MUCH into their decor. It’s extremely energizing and motivating! So, with that being said, would you like to peek in on a few spaces today of your neighbors in the online decorating and crafting community?

Just a peek...

Dottie Angel + souvenirs du passé récent

Just a peek...

How Now Design + jasna janekovic

Just a peek...

ishtar olivera + Mundo Flo

Just a peek...

Simply Grove + herz allerliebst

Just a peek...

Trisha Brink Design + miss vu

How inspiring! What did you like in the photos above? I really like Simply Grove and her well arranged bookcase. I love all of the photos above, of course, but that one really stood out as I can only imagine the thought and care that went into such a gorgeous arrangement. And are her books facing pages outward and spines in or am I seeing things? How cool is that. And what about you? Spot anything above, in particular, that stood out? Another detail I noticed is the globe in How Now Design’s workspace. Scroll back up and see for yourself. Neat-o.

(images linked to their sources above)

Posted by decor8 in Decorating Tips on January 18, 2010

1. Shanon commented
    January 18th, 2010 at 5:28pm

LoL, I know that books facing inward is a neat design trick to get a more neutral look to your room, but how is that functional? It would take me forever to find what I needed! =) I guess maybe, if you only have a few, like what is picture in the photo, then it could work…

I think the idea to paint an outdated globe is very cool though. ; )
    .-= Shanon´s last blog ..Globes & Postcards =-.

2. Tricia Heliker commented
    January 18th, 2010 at 5:29pm

The one that really took my breath away was Tricia Brink Design. The colors in the hydrangas were fabulous alone but when framed by the stunning lamps and the buffet with the map as a backdrop….well I gasped when I saw it.

3. Anke commented
    January 18th, 2010 at 5:55pm

i like to buy colour-coordinated products for the bathroom. :D
    .-= Anke´s last blog ..Time Out New York Kids / Snowman =-.

4. michelle commented
    January 18th, 2010 at 5:55pm

i just adore that first image !!!!
    .-= michelle´s last blog ..sydney real estate…. =-.

5. niki lea commented
    January 18th, 2010 at 6:31pm

beautiful. i wish i had the time to make my house look so lovely. lately i’ve been feeling so ‘blah’ about my own abode and instead of being inspired by images, i’m finding myself feeling down about how my home looks in comparison.

6. Yasmine commented
    January 18th, 2010 at 6:39pm

What I like about all of this pictures is their non generic style. Those spaces are so much a reflection of a personality that inhabits them – it’s like entering the house of your best friend.
    .-= Yasmine´s last blog ..Homemade Bread – Step by Step =-.

7. Arabella commented
    January 18th, 2010 at 6:47pm

The tea-warming arrangement caught my eye – nice change from a cozy.

I’ve been doing the decanting thing in the bathroom for ages and though finding regular plain bottles is easy, I have yet to find a pump dispenser that doesn’t eventually gloop and dribble. Now, someone somewhere ………!
    .-= Arabella´s last blog .."Shall We Go To The Poodle Dawg?" =-.

8. atia commented
    January 18th, 2010 at 6:48pm

Love that turquoise dresser! And the Dottie Angel wallhanging is beautiful too.
    .-= atia´s last blog ..More granny squares =-.

9. Elizabeth commented
    January 18th, 2010 at 6:57pm

i noticed the globe, too – what a fanastic idea!
    .-= Elizabeth´s last blog ..Rainbow Cake =-.

10. michele gallagher commented
    January 18th, 2010 at 6:59pm

Hi Miss Holly

my connection is having trouble loading your images at the moment and can’t wait to see them ~ but I already know the pics are gorgeous because its decor8 HELLO. Thank you for pointing out that even if our shampoo bottles and junk don’t look so hot that we can always aspire onto higher levels of interior design! It’s like I know I don’t have a house that looks like the inside of my favorite designers latest book ~ but I can dream of working toward that example ~ yay :) love your message today thanks ~

michele aka craftycameleon
    .-= michele gallagher´s last blog ..little green notebook vs ralph lauren {satire} =-.

11. michele gallagher commented
    January 18th, 2010 at 7:11pm

Okay I see them Holly and yes this are exactly what I was talking about today on my post “this heart::this beach” ~ i was saying that a junky look is not what should be aspired to ~

or as Rachel Ashwell was recently quoted regarding where she wants to take her brand she said “Now we are mixing cleaner modern shapes with shabby elements. Simpler lines, but with comfort.”

But Holly you get that ! Yay :) i feel better now

12. sungting commented
    January 18th, 2010 at 8:12pm

Oooooo, just LOVING all the lace details in these pics!
    And I love the bunny and the wall hanging by Dottie Angel !!!
    You have such good taste!
    .-= sungting´s last blog ..Monday Polls: What Makes You Feel Beautiful? =-.

13. Kristi commented
    January 18th, 2010 at 8:42pm

Gorgeous and inspiring images. Beauty is definitely in the details.

14. Mama Without Borders commented
    January 18th, 2010 at 9:09pm

These images come at a perfect time because I’m planning on spending a couple hours organizing/sorting a couple rooms on Tuesday in the wake of holiday decor all (finally) gone. It’s a dreaded task every year, but I’m using the opportunity to re-arrange things with an eye toward fresh vignettes and thoughtful touches like some of those here. Sometimes I feel like I spend way too much time on details like these, but in the end, these are what make our home feel like it’s really an expression of who we are.
    .-= Mama Without Borders´s last blog ..apartamento magazine, an echanting interiors magazine with heart =-.

15. Camila commented
    January 18th, 2010 at 9:22pm

I love Simply Groves bookcase so pretty! Great post and now I totally want to run up to my bathroom and switch out my shampoo and conditioner!

16. jennifer ramos commented
    January 18th, 2010 at 9:30pm

I believe her pages are facing outwards so that the sedated , neutral colors flow throughout the living area. If she had the spines facing forward, they would probably seem to stark and colorful. That is what I imagine she did this for.. :)

Jen Ramos
    ‘Cards & Prints You’ll Love…’
    madebygirl.blogspot.com
    .-= jennifer ramos´s last blog ..Skinny Homes….. =-.

17. Bernie commented
    January 18th, 2010 at 9:41pm

I LOVE Trisha Brink Design’s photo. The color of her hydrangeas and lamps really compliment each other well.

18. Victoria Klein commented
    January 18th, 2010 at 9:54pm

Oh how I adore details as well! I’ve thought about decanting all of my bathroom goods into classy bottles for years now, but it seems like such an indulgence, cost-wise. I haven’t been able to justify it to my wallet yet, haha.
    .-= Victoria Klein´s last blog ..2010 Project 365 :: Day 018 =-.

19. Jen commented
    January 18th, 2010 at 10:36pm

I love the sentiment in Dottie Angel’s piece! Definitely saving that picture into my idea file because I think I’ll need to stitch the thought for my son’s room.
    .-= Jen´s last blog ..Well, crap, Internet. I may have been wrong. =-.

20. suswhit commented
    January 18th, 2010 at 10:41pm

My fav is the jasna janekovic photo. Maybe because it’s dull and dreary here — the color is beautiful. And the black paint on the chair is nice contrast. On the other hand, your fav is too affected for me. It’s a fine line — well edited or uptight. Books turned backwards to make them white? ick.

21. Kara commented
    January 18th, 2010 at 11:23pm

“well edited” is going to be my design mantra for the new year : )

22. whorange commented
    January 18th, 2010 at 11:40pm

the little spoon in the glass bottle is delicious. is the spoon crowned with a rabbit or squirrel? either way…i want it!

23. Masha commented
    January 19th, 2010 at 2:05am

I buy special colours of soaps for the bathroom, but I never thought about the transparent plastic bottles…hmmm…
    .-= Masha´s last blog ..Watercolor & Ink – Tree =-.

24. Sandi commented
    January 19th, 2010 at 2:18am

I love so many of these. Thank you for so much inspiration.

25. karen commented
    January 19th, 2010 at 3:55am

Hi Holly,

one quick thought: why don´t you pull off the labels from shampoo bottles, conditioners etc! That gives them a more minimalistic look in an instance. I always go for white bottles or purple/lilac ones, as these are the colours of our bathroom.

26. ArtShades commented
    January 19th, 2010 at 5:00am

I’m with Shanon – placing books on a book shelf with spines facing inwards just to neutralise the colour scheme is more than one step too far for me. I like bookshelves to be enticing and draw you in! Spineless ones give no clues as to the owner’s real taste.

The hydrangeas and the lamps with the map do it for me. Gorgeous!

27. jules @ the diversion project commented
    January 19th, 2010 at 5:10am

Lovely details, thank for sharing those – some lovely details to aspire to.

jules
    .-= jules @ the diversion project´s last blog ..Montpellier =-.

28. My Sweet Prints commented
    January 19th, 2010 at 5:18am

Wow…! How do you get hydrangers to match your hall lamp??? Incredible!
    Beautiful images Holly!

29. Caroline commented
    January 19th, 2010 at 5:29am

I have most of my books shelved page-out and only have the really pretty spines (w/ colors that complement my decor) facing out. I have a ton of books and find the spines distracting and really busy-looking. I’ve just grouped my books by category (fiction, non-fiction, mystery, reference, etc) and that makes it relatively easy to locate a book when I need it.

Although, to be honest, I don’t really reread my books that often… too many new books to read!

30. ruthie commented
    January 19th, 2010 at 6:09am

I love that Tour Eiffel lamp in the last picture. Where can I get one?

31. Rachel commented
    January 19th, 2010 at 6:13am

I am obsessed with armchairs at the moment and the Simply Grove one is gorgeous. I also adore the Trisha Brink Design image – the turquoise theme is captivating and the symmetry created by the lamps looks fantastic.
    .-= Rachel´s last blog ..Oh So Lovely: Purple Candy Floss Inspiration =-.

32. theaxx commented
    January 19th, 2010 at 6:19am

CRAZY about that spoon in a bottle… that’s a GORGEOUS idea! Thanks Holly!

thea.
    xx
    .-= theaxx´s last blog ..Today’s the day we….. picnic! =-.

33. Jane commented
    January 19th, 2010 at 6:29am

“A bit generic”. Nicely put and so true. Unfortunately! Despite being German, I never understood why the Germans don’t put more effort into packaging. It’s SO simple to make even the most basic product like toilet paper more attractive. The supermarket chain Rewe started something like a design initiative with an own brand and I love it. It’s called “Rewe Feine Welt”. However, it involves only foods so far… What’s not too bad for cosmetics in terms of design is the Alverde range at dm drugstores though.

34. Caroline commented
    January 19th, 2010 at 6:42am

Really cute the small crochets.
    I spot turquoise and an air of spring. Yes, please!
    .-= Caroline´s last blog ..Exhibition: Märtas Café =-.

35. Caroline commented
    January 19th, 2010 at 6:44am

Really cute the small crocheted tablecloths.
    I spot turquoise and an air of spring. Yes, please!
    .-= Caroline´s last blog ..Exhibition: Märtas Café =-.

36. Katie commented
    January 19th, 2010 at 7:18am

the lamps in Trisha Brinks’ design are gorgeous!
    .-= Katie´s last blog ..Some things we’ve been working on! =-.

37. Alison commented
    January 19th, 2010 at 7:33am

I love how simply grove mixed in the modern Kartel lamp with the iron? and leather table. Such a great way to mix materials! I am dying for that same lamp but want to put it on top of a 1930s metal cabinet.

38. Sarah commented
    January 19th, 2010 at 9:25am

I love the bright blue bookcase/armoir in the pic from How Now! I have been on the lookout for something similar to store my fabric stash in.
    .-= Sarah´s last blog ..Shrimp and Andouille Pot Pies =-.

39. nichole commented
    January 19th, 2010 at 9:28am

Gorgeous! Tons of inspiration. I love all of the pops of blue.
    .-= nichole´s last blog ..Orange =-.

40. nina commented
    January 19th, 2010 at 10:26am

I love everything! And I adore Dottieangel! Awesome post!
    .-= nina´s last blog ..Twins in wonderland =-.

41. Melissa de la Fuente commented
    January 19th, 2010 at 10:40am

Such beautiful spaces….I adore dottie angels pieces so much, that globe, that bunny, that green thread, that gorgeous living room of simply groves, the sideboard with the beautiful blue lamps & hydrangeas….the calm and lovely couch and that awesome photo wall. *sigh* Just beautiful….thanks for sharing hun!
    xo
    Melis
    .-= Melissa de la Fuente´s last blog ..Cheap & Chic: inspired by a cape =-.

42. juliet commented
    January 19th, 2010 at 11:07am

I like the office in Jasna’s photos. I am a photographer and always have so much STUFF around. When I see these offices that are simple and gorgeous, I look around to see how much I am NOT using. Now I am inspired to send you before and after photos…after I figure this out. Thank you!
    .-= juliet´s last blog ..Mark’s House =-.

43. Anna commented
    January 19th, 2010 at 11:14am

It’s funny that you pick out that bookcase, because it is the one picture in the lot that struck me as decorating gone too far. I love the white on white look … although I’ve had it and it’s a little hard to live with. But, when it comes to my books, function trumps size, color, or symmetry.

I love the hydrangeas and the map, though. It’s my favorite amidst the crowd of beauties.

44. Juana @ SweetVisualAids commented
    January 19th, 2010 at 11:42am

wow super cute decor!! the one from miss vu is really gorgeous! :D
    .-= Juana @ SweetVisualAids´s last blog ..The Portuguese Life =-.

45. dolores commented
    January 19th, 2010 at 12:08pm

I love Jasna´s style – soooo nice and simple, although full of nice ideas!
    .-= dolores´s last blog ..I did it again + Delfter Keramik =-.

46. decor8 commented
    January 19th, 2010 at 12:38pm

Anna – I guess it’s the artist/creative side of me – I tend to see things that are often not considered practical to be quite beautiful.

47. Cynthia Reynolds commented
    January 19th, 2010 at 3:08pm

I am also an artist and a creative person.. but nothing would prompt me to turn my books around. If appearances are so important that one can not show the spines of books, find somewhere else to put them. To lose function for beauty’s sake… well… I am not one to criticize unless I can also be constructive. So that being said;
    Go to the trouble to make dust covers that will suit your surroundings.
    The options are endless, it can be anything you want:
    Neutral, cheap and easy to come by :craft paper by the roll.
    Any specific colour: there are paper stores everywhere that will cater to your individual needs .. textures, prints etc..
    or for high end, use linen bookcloth.
    You can colour coordinate by choosing a series of colours to match your palette… and even sort your books (art/reference/how-to etc..) by colour or tone.
    Label them, either handwritten right on the spine of the dust jacket , or use your favorite fonts on labels.
    This may sound like a dream to some, this may sound over the top to others but just do not let your books lose their function.

48. Anna commented
    January 19th, 2010 at 3:21pm

I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to sound combative. I have plenty of things in my home that are simply beautiful and serve no practical purpose. I just love my books too much to hide their little faces. ;-)
    .-= Anna´s last blog ..Remember =-.

49. decor8 commented
    January 19th, 2010 at 3:37pm

Anna – ha ha you didn’t!!! :) I get what you mean, totally!!

50. kalah commented
    January 19th, 2010 at 6:19pm

I LOVE simply groves bookcase!!

51. Meaghan Bonafyde commented
    January 19th, 2010 at 10:15pm

I for one fell in love with the the warmer in the shot by herz allerliebst….. I must get myself one…. the hunt is ON!

52. Meaghan Bonafyde commented
    January 19th, 2010 at 10:16pm

I for one fell in love with the tea warmer in the shot by herz allerliebst….. I must get myself one…. the hunt is ON!

53. Linda commented
    January 20th, 2010 at 1:20am

lovethem all, they are all so light. I wanted to make my studio in this colors, but everything I touch end up beeing very colorful, domehow I dont have the do my home, quite, relaxing, light and elegant like in your pictures. PErhaps now – I going to by new decoration now !!!

54. simplygrove commented
    January 20th, 2010 at 2:53am

Wow! I didn’t think that my bookshelves would experience so much controversy! However any of you feel is your design opinion. This works for my design aesthetic at this time. My books were not harmed in this process. And this is maybe 10% of the books I own so I am not at a loss to find them. I’m not sure what the difference would be between covering them and turning them around. Either way you are camouflaging them. But hey, its your opinion.
    Thank you everyone who left kind comments. I really appreciate it! And thanks Holly for posting it!! xx
    .-= simplygrove´s last blog ..Cleo Magazine… =-.

55. Cynthia Reynolds commented
    January 20th, 2010 at 5:14am

simplygrove: If you re-read my post, I suggested that people could cover & label their books to suit their design preferences; not simply cover them, as that would be an exercise in futility.

I am a strong believer that ‘good design’ – in the true meaning of the term – is something that is aesthetically pleasing without sacrificing function.

If my children were to ask me “Mom, why are our books backwards?” and my response was “because the look better that way”, I think I would be doing them a great disservice.

But.. I must admit – the thought of a caption under the photo saying “no books were harmed in the process… ” would give us all a good chuckle. ;)
    .-= Cynthia Reynolds´s last blog ..‘Makers’ making a difference =-.

56. Trisha commented
    January 20th, 2010 at 7:41pm

Thanks so much for all the glowing compliments on my Lamps, hydrangeas, and map. You folks are so sweet! As for how to match your lamps to your flowers….well, that’s between me and God! :o)

I love books no matter how they are positioned…personally, mine end up in ruffian piles all over the place. I think this is a much better option! My only fear about putting them pages out…..is that when folks came over they might think I was reading nothing but trashy novels! Teeheehee! ;o)
    Simply Grove, is there something you need to fess up?!?! :o)

Thanks again Holly, as I’ve said before…you’re a smashing star!

57. Elemental LED staff commented
    January 22nd, 2010 at 3:03pm

That transparent table lamp in the herz allerliebst photos is out of this world!

58. kristin jo commented
    January 22nd, 2010 at 5:12pm

I love the white/beige colors with the teapot.
    Clever way to show favorite design-y postcards.

I was also inspired by the Tim Neve Natural beachy apt in Real Living you posted in Dec.

I was in the midst of painting my LR and DR a warm beige and feeling a bit unsure about going so neutral. I love it!!! And your post reassured me, I love that look, combining white, beige, and natural textures.

Question if I may ask — which shampoos did you like in the US? I am having a terrible time finding an affordable one I like.

59. decor8 commented
    January 22nd, 2010 at 8:22pm

kristin jo: I was a die hard Jonathan fan. Jonathan Antin is his full name I think — he has his hair products at Sephora. I have a lot of hair but it is fine and his stuff gave me that come-hither Victoria’s Secret model hair. I miss his products SO MUCH.

60. kristin jo commented
    January 22nd, 2010 at 10:38pm

Thanks so much for your reply Holly! I’ll check his products out. I live in Denver, and heating combined with a dry climate are tough. Somehow this winter my hair is oily and dry at the same time. Ugh.

I love Sephora!

61. decor8 commented
    January 23rd, 2010 at 6:08am

kristin jo – yes his products are really great. I first discovered him when he had a reality show on Bravo. I thought he was just the hottest hair stylist I’d ever laid eyes on. I would love to fly to LA to have him work his magic on me, he is insanely talented and really knows what women want. The products are not cheap but if you use a dime or quarter size drop in your hand a bottle should last several weeks. I tend to be less wasteful when I spend more on hair products! Another line I’ve used in the past that I loved was Redken – their “body full” line. Also great, at least the shampoo and conditioner (did not try anything else).

62. fred commented
    January 25th, 2010 at 12:02am

wow, love the embroidery on the wall, very beautiful

63. mandy commented
    February 15th, 2010 at 2:34pm

lovin that THINK globe. Right on.