Blossoms & Blooms

I need flowers in my life! I’ve been buying some here and there, but not weekly as I usually do and I can definitely see a difference in how my home looks and feels. Maybe some are not as sensitive to whether or not they have flowers around, but I am. My mother was trained in floral design before I was born so you can imagine how our home and yard looked growing up – flowers and plants and a gorgeously landscaped yard that was the envy of the neighborhood. In fact, our neighbors loved our yard so much that they’d ask my mother for tips and often when I couldn’t find her I’d see her planting and digging next door as the neighbor stood there grinning ear-to-ear. It was just her way. She planted, cultivated, picked and styled flowers, shrubs, trees, you name it… The flowers would often end up in pretty containers in our home and she even painted them onto canvas with oil paints simply because flowers inspired her and they just made her happy and still do.

Jennifer Murphy

Illustration by Jennifer Murphy, photo from Domino.

Watching a mother so passionate for these things couldn’t help but leave an impression on me. But it wasn’t just her, my grandparents lived on a working farm where she was raised and so this passion was also planted in me at a very young age whenever I would visit them. And no doubt if and when I have children, I’ll be teaching them at least how to arrange flowers as I didn’t inherit a green thumb — though lately I’ve noticed my plants are no longer dried up and withered but healthy so perhaps my black thumb days are over.

flowers in my home

My own arrangements are shown above in both my current and last home.

Nicoletter Home in Germany

Nicoletter

Rie Elise Larsen

Rie Elise Larsen

What about you? When you look back on your childhood do you recall any experience or even a parent or sibling, aunt or uncle, even grandparents who had a deep appreciation for nature, namely plants and flowers, that they passed on to you? How did this influence your adult life? Or perhaps you did not have this influence early on but rather, picked it up as an interest later in life? And if so, what made you think more about bringing plants and flowers into your home? And how are you doing with raising them? How often do you buy flowers and style them? How does the experience make you feel? I ask all of these questions because I believe that demanding schedules and life in general gets in the way of slowing down to consider how and why we do certain things, why we have specific rituals around the home and how they make us feel and contribute to our overall sense of well-being. And by the way, the common expression, “Stop and smell the roses” is so true! As you are styling your arrangements at home, take time and really get into the moment as it can be quite an enjoyable experience of the senses.

1 800 Flowers

More generic arrangements but beautiful flowers from 1-800 Flowers. Note: Once they are delivered you can add in some of your own store bought blooms to design a custom bouquet.

This week I plan to buy some flowers that I’ve never bought before, lately I’ve been bringing home mostly tulips and roses and orchids. I will go to the farmers’ market tomorrow and try something new. The thrill of the hunt, even for something as simple as a bunch of flowers, can turn a rather mundane task into something pleasurable. There is nothing wrong with making some of the simple things in life matter in some way. It’s comforting somehow, like days aren’t running into weeks and months without me slowing down to feel all of these precious moments.

Stella Nicolaisen

Just a simple plant…Stella Nicolaisen

Color Me Pretty

A Creative Mint

Etsy Take Five Tuesday

Flores Del Sol

Fresh Heather

Heather in my living room from last Autumn.

Shana Rae

Shana Rae

Sunday Suppers

Sunday Suppers, Karen Mordechai.

Wood & Wool Stool

Wood & Wool Stool

MayaLee Photography

MayaLee Photography

Spaget

Spagat

Well, who thought that simply thinking about flowers this morning would lead to an essay? Aren’t flowers uplifting and altogether lovely? I can’t stop but appreciate them whenever I pass by an intriguing flower shop window. I peeked into a shop yesterday around the corner from my home and saw some sweet mini cypress trees that I may buy for my windowsills, or perhaps a small potted olive tree for my kitchen window. I can’t wait until Spring so I can hunt for some flowering branches to put in my living room, they make such a difference in the mood there and it only takes one or two in a tall vase. All of these beautiful photos show, whether large or small, flowers have a profound impact on our mood as well as our interiors. Don’t you think it’s time you took a walk over to your local flower shop?

(images linked to their sources above, please click on them to find the work of some pretty amazing creatives out there!)

Posted by decor8 in Decorating Tips on January 20, 2010

1. ishtar commented
    January 20th, 2010 at 7:22am

what a lovely story of your mother! Oh how much I admire that kind of women with green thumbs that make everything bloom so beautifully!
    .-= ishtar´s last blog ..Aranjuez =-.

2. Petra commented
    January 20th, 2010 at 7:27am

Thanks a lot for this post – we are suffering from winter here in Germany and this color splash helps a lot!
    .-= Petra´s last blog ..Sofa in Grau/Bunt =-.

3. decor8 commented
    January 20th, 2010 at 7:29am

Petra you are suffering? Where do you live?

4. uglygirl commented
    January 20th, 2010 at 7:57am

Those images are all beautiful. It’s so hot here (in Perth, Australia) at the moment that cut flowers don’t even last a day when they’re inside a hot apartment. You come home from work and they’re wilted! That said, we have beautiful native flowers that will last weeks after they’re cut but most of the florists don’t carry many. My mother is the stereotypical Asian mother who tells you off for buying her flowers because “they’re a waste of money because they will just die”. I’d rather dead flowers than dusty plastic ones!
    .-= uglygirl´s last blog ..Help Haiti =-.

5. Ann Marie commented
    January 20th, 2010 at 8:28am

My Mother has quite the green thumb. Bearded iris is her favorite flower and growing up, they lined every inch of our fenced yard and along the sides of the house. To this day, every time I see an iris, I think of her.

I now have them growing in my yard. I know it may seem silly, but I have such a strong association with the iris and my Mom. Almost as if they are one in the same. :)
    .-= Ann Marie´s last blog ..school days….renderings =-.

6. Sarah commented
    January 20th, 2010 at 8:47am

It is still to early here in Dallas for flowers, but I love lots of flowers in my yard, flower pots and house. Thanks for sharing the beauty.

7. laura trevey commented
    January 20th, 2010 at 8:48am

I cannot wait for Spring and all the blooms!!
    .-= laura trevey´s last blog ..Valentine Weddings =-.

8. jules @ the diversion project commented
    January 20th, 2010 at 8:52am

Gorgeous images, such a lovely fresh collection.

We didn’t have flowers in the home much when I was growing up, but i think i’ve over compensated for it since. In my country garden every flower under the sun grew and got picked, and now in the city, i have a little Italian store up the road that sells lovely big bunches of flowers tucked away in the corner of the shop. Never anything fancy, but big generous bunches of what ever is in season. I just love it. They are so reasonably priced that i come home every saturday moning with an armfull.

One weekend my youngest boy saw me putting one of the bunches in a vase, some dahlias, and he said “wow mum, they’re awesome!” made me realise it is so worth it, not just for my own enjoyment but for the memories too.

thanks for your lovely post, very touching.

jules
    .-= jules @ the diversion project´s last blog ..Romantic At Heart =-.

9. amanda commented
    January 20th, 2010 at 9:05am

i really enjoyed reading about your mother and her green thumb. i have a love for flowers too. my granny had a wonderful garden where she cultivates vegetables and apple trees and stuff like that but also a few flowers. in winter it were schneeglöckchen(snowdrops-which are one of my fav flowers) and then there were astern (aster) and pfingstrosen(peonies). a lot of flowers and i love them all. she often brought me a bunch of the flowers for my room and i loved them. she encourages me to look after my plants and i think i got my love for flowers from her. my fav (home) flowers are orchids. they bloom all the year around and they make such a great effort and are easily to shoot ;-) i still have a cyclamen pot my granny gave me 15(!) years ago-the year before she passed away and having this cyclame always reminds me of her. and i love it when friends came over on my birthday and gave me a bunch of flowers. i was born in winter, so having a litle bit of spring in my home means a lot to me(at the moment a bunch of springflowers along with hyacinthe, pale pink roses and other flowers i don’t know the name of)

10. Miki commented
    January 20th, 2010 at 9:13am

Such an amazingly beautiful display of floral photos and post! You have TRULY inspired me today. For so many years, I have denied myself fresh cut flowers because of the cost. About two years ago, I started gardening (and loving it) for the sake of my yard, but you have shown me that I can garden for the sake of my happy home! I’m in Michigan and our winters are sooooo long and I dream of Spring all the time. I see from your post that picking up a bouquet at the grocery store is well worth the money to brighten our home and lift our spirits until our gardens begin to wake up too! Thank you so much for posting this :)

11. Kathi @ allthingswhite commented
    January 20th, 2010 at 9:15am

Thank you so much for this lovely post !!! It is inspiring and energizing me and making me think about my mom and grandma- what more could I ask for.
    My grandma grew up on a farm but had a city lot during my lifetime and I remember her beautiful climbing roses, especially a pink one that was a gift to her from my parents when I was born. And my mom had a large lot with tons of flowers that she managed even with a full time job and a family. Perhaps that is why flowers make me so happy.
    .-= Kathi @ allthingswhite´s last blog ..Vintage Hull Planter =-.

12. juliette commented
    January 20th, 2010 at 9:47am

ahh – I needed this, too! My corner of Germany is seemingly always gray and rainy, so these flowers are a perfect mood-lifter. I actually am planning on trying to do a flower series on typical German arrangements for a florist friend back in the US. This post just reminded me to get on it – now that I have a real camera =)
    .-= juliette´s last blog ..Fabric kick-off for 2010 =-.

13. Brigitte commented
    January 20th, 2010 at 10:09am

I completely relate to this post. While my mother isn’t professionally trained, she is forever working in her garden. In her last home, she heavily landscaped, getting rid of much of the grass in the yard. My grandmother is the same. Both of them prefer the wild look of an English garden to a composed space, which is the influence I’m drawing from in my own little plot of dirt.

In college, I started buying myself weekly bouquets, and I can attest to the joy fresh flowers bring to your life. I love picking them out in farmer’s markets over the summer. One of my favorite tricks, though, is buying a large mixed bouquet at Trader Joe’s or even Costco and doling them out into small arrangements all over the house.
    .-= Brigitte´s last blog ..ZOMG! I won something! =-.

14. Isabelle commented
    January 20th, 2010 at 10:17am

My uncle loved dahlias – he grew the most splendid blooms. He had a huge vegetable garden, and at the bottom of it was a drift of the old fashioned multi petalled daffodills. I love both of these flowers very much.

When my uncle died most of the floral tributes were dahlias. They were left on the grave. The next morning they had all been eaten by rabbits! I was so pleased, there is something so very sad about dying floral tributes on graves. These would never do that, recycled as rabbit sustenance!

15. Meg commented
    January 20th, 2010 at 10:19am

My mother always had a big crystal vase full of stargazer lilies in her room. I still love stargazers, but my favorite flowers are peonies, zinnias and dahlias.

My favorite arrangements are tightly-clustered bunches of flowers in shades of the same color (different shades of pink are my favorite). I live in a small space, so I tend to buy a couple of bunches of flowers at the Greenmarket (I live in NYC!) and make two or three smaller arrangements to sprinkle here and there around the apartment.

Can’t wait till local blooms are back in season with a vengeance! (I try not to buy flowers that have been flown in, though sometimes I can’t help myself.)
    .-= Meg´s last blog ..Resolution: kept! =-.

16. Sabrina commented
    January 20th, 2010 at 10:22am

My grandmother was the person in my family that has such a love for flowers. I used to love that even though they lived in a neighborhood, it was like a different world as soon as we turned into the driveway. It was lined with mossy trees and foxgloves. And when you walked up the path to the house, there were roses and other flowers on either side, brushing you and smelling divine as you walked past. The backyard was like a woodland fairytale! She had a pond, hammock, gazebo…everything surrounded by flowers, moss, and ferns. Good memories!

17. White Snoh commented
    January 20th, 2010 at 10:35am

A breath of summer just touched me. The photos are beautiful!

18. michele commented
    January 20th, 2010 at 10:37am

what lovely images to rejuvenate in the middle of winter. lots of healthy colour!
    I have been wondering if you could blog sometime about your average blogging day, how much time you spend on each post, how many times do you edit, etc. It woud be great encouragement for the rest of us mini bloggers.

19. Sandra commented
    January 20th, 2010 at 10:55am

Just today I bought the first flowers in almost a year – a bunch of soft pink tulips. Sometimes I just need a splash of color and life. However,I try to keep buying flowers to a minimum, because they make me so sad when they fade away and die. I don’t even have potted plants,because every yellow leaf makes me feel so sorry for them. There’s nothing sad about looking at your wonderful pictures,though :)
    PS: Do you know the quote ” Ich habe heute ein paar Blumen für dich nicht gepflückt, um dir ihr Leben mitzubringen.” (Today, I didn’t pick a bunch of flowers for you,to bring you their life”) by Chrisitan Morgenstern? It describes perfectly how I feel.

20. Anna commented
    January 20th, 2010 at 11:10am

I love flowers in my home – I think part of the reason is that they are so non-essential and purely bought in to show their beauty. That gesture of taking the time to appreciate something purely for it’s beauty can’t help but make me smile.

I am on a tight budget so sometimes just buy one bunch and distribute it to single blooms around the house….but it has the same impact for me. This year I am going to focus on the garden and have a great book I bought a few years ago all about growing flowers in your garden purely for cutting and bringing in your home. It is called The Cutting Garden by Sarah Raven it is UK centric but am sure it would be relevant for other countries too.

My mother loves flowers and always goes over the top with her garden displays – not so much inside the house. I can remember as a child the effort that would go into carefully selecting that summers order from a catalogue and the excitement as all the little plug plants arrived.
    .-= Anna´s last blog ..Style resolutions 2010 =-.

21. Breeanna commented
    January 20th, 2010 at 11:33am

love these flowers! It gets me excited about spring… however, I’m from MN so I have a while to wait. Its way to cold here!

Love this blog by the way. Have a good one.

Breeanna http://www.simplyelegance.org

22. Inga commented
    January 20th, 2010 at 12:07pm

As a kid I felt sorry to pick flowers so took them home very rarely. Only violets in spring and lilacs from the neighbour’s tree time to time. Now I buy flowers for declutering reasons :) When I have flowers at home I cannot stand to have mess around cos then I feel I dont do the flowers justice. Thus I start cleaning up.

23. Jeanee commented
    January 20th, 2010 at 12:13pm

Now I want flowers!!!

24. monaluna commented
    January 20th, 2010 at 12:16pm

Oh, I love this post! Thank you for all the beautiful images this morning! I know I can’t complain, as it’s probably 50ºF here, and not freezing, but it’s been pouring buckets for days, and the photos are making me hope for spring.
    We always had a vegetable garden growing up, and some of my favorite memories are of picking green beans and berries for dinner with my mom (even though I didn’t like green beans much back then). Not so many flowers, though. Still, I always try to buy flowers to arrange in my home – it makes it feel fresh and special and beautiful. I finally have room for my own garden now, and I can’t wait to grow some cutting flowers!

25. raquel raney commented
    January 20th, 2010 at 12:24pm

so very pretty.

26. nina commented
    January 20th, 2010 at 12:40pm

your flowers are so different from the flowers here

27. ruthie commented
    January 20th, 2010 at 12:45pm

Ann Marie, I think it’s beautiful that you associate your Mom with a flower.

My Mom has the green thumb too and whenever I see flowers I think of her. I like to buy flowers and plants for my apartment every month and last Christmas I even asked Santa for a plant haha. They make me feel happy! I think that houses look so much nicer with plants and flowers in them!
    I know many people that like to buy fake flowers like the ones from a store called Sia. They make nice imitations and they last longer than the real ones. I’d like to know what do you think Holly as well as your readers.
    Thanks for such a flowery post!!

28. Victoria Bennett Beyer commented
    January 20th, 2010 at 12:48pm

This gorgeous post is making me ache for spring! I love cut flowers in the house, but I think I love them more when I watch them spring from the earth in my own yard. I planted daffodils and iris and crocus in one bed last year, and I can’t wait to see them emerge for the first time.

My favorite flower memory is from my early childhood and very faded in my mind. But I remember in the first house I ever lived in (in St. Stephen, SC; do you know where that is?) there was a long row of hydrangeas that the butterflies would swarm. I was enchanted them, and the memory remains magical in my mind. I will be adding a hydrangea to the aforementioned bed in the spring and I think I will smile every time I see it.

29. Lili commented
    January 20th, 2010 at 1:04pm

although I was born and grew up in an urban setting, I was fortunate to spend a few years living with an aunt overseas. her home was situated on a large plot of land and she cultivated many plants, bushes, fruit trees, and flowers. being that we lived in a tropical zone, I was able to see different kinds of flowers bloom year round.

30. Kate commented
    January 20th, 2010 at 1:05pm

Holly! I don’t know if you remember me but I was in your first Blogging Your Way E-course. I just realized today that you moved to Hannover and I JUST got back from Hannover yesterday! What a special city! I attended the Domotex show and it was a feast for the eyes in the rug design world! If I’m able to attend next year I’ll definitely give you a shout out ahead of time :)

31. Yoli commented
    January 20th, 2010 at 1:51pm

Lovely images and tender story.

32. Claire Quilter commented
    January 20th, 2010 at 1:52pm

What a delightful treat all the pictures of flowers are!

My grandmother was a firm believer in flowers for special occasions and flowers to make any day a special occasion. Grocery store roses, put in a good vase, are one of my favorite treats.

Here’s a link to a picture of Thanksgiving’s table, with a grand and unexpected combination of flowers: peonies and ecalyptus. They made the table.

33. Linz commented
    January 20th, 2010 at 2:05pm

your blog is so INSPIRING. i can’t get enough of it. and your flowers? exquisite. i can’t keep a bamboo plant alive, much less delicate flowers. :(

34. Lucia commented
    January 20th, 2010 at 2:05pm

What a lovely post:) We are just thawing out after the snow here. I was bought up in the countryside in Northern England and my Grandma and Mum knew so much about wild flowers, plants and wildlife, Mum used to teach me about flower and tree types and different bird songs whenever we went on a walk and we always had a nature table at school. It really inspired me and my primary school friends and we set up our own nature club with the (rather uninspired) name of TCFN (The Club for Nature) and we met in mum’s shed once a week. That was 20 years ago but I still know my pink campion from my herb robert (thanks mum!) although I have forgotten a lot of it but this post has inspired me to start learning about flowers again so I can inspire my future children like my mum did for me.

35. Amanda commented
    January 20th, 2010 at 2:06pm

Lovely story. Growing up for me entailed just picking weeds and mowing a lawn. I absolutely hated it! The desert behind the back yard just blew in more weeds and it was a never ending battle.

As an adult, I have fallen in love with my garden. I have moved to a better climate for gardens and enjoy spending most of my time working the garden. I have made lots of garden friends who have provided me with lots of starts. I love my day lillies, canna and lilac bush the most. This will be the second year for the garden so I am looking forward to lots of blooms on the cameilia and peony (crossing fingers) too.

Gardening has turned out to be so much fun for me that I am starting my first food garden this year. Wish me luck!

36. Megan commented
    January 20th, 2010 at 2:38pm

Couldn’t agree more wholeheartedly!!! Life is a little less full without flowers around. Have fun trying something new – sometimes when you open your eyes you discover a whole new category of flowers you didn’t notice before! Right now there are very beautiful anemones and ranunculus out there :)

37. Meredith from Penelope Loves Lists commented
    January 20th, 2010 at 2:46pm

This is JUST what I needed on this stormy, wet day, some hope for Spring! Thanks, Holly!

38. Beth perry commented
    January 20th, 2010 at 3:00pm

oooooooooo such gorgeous arrangements!! so beatiful to the eye!

39. Peggy Frizzell commented
    January 20th, 2010 at 3:09pm

I love flowers too. I’m a Canadian currently living in Germany. One of the most profound pleasures of living here is the easy (and inexpensive) access to fresh flowers. Rarely does a week go by that I don’t treat myself to a fresh bouquet.

But as much as I love cut flowers, it pales in comparison to my love of flower gardening. There’s nothing more rewarding than taking a simple boring yard or outdoor space and turning it into a showplace flower garden. Of course, the transformation doesn’t happen overnight; it requires lots of planning, imagination, care and attention. And loads of energy!

But it’s all worth it when I stroll around my garden after a hard day at work. I examine every flower bed, every tree and every shrub just to see what has changed. I take time to admire the blooms, the smells, the textures and the sounds. It’s magical! Oh my… I’m getting weepy just thinking about it!

40. decor8 commented
    January 20th, 2010 at 3:21pm

Kate I almost went to that but I didn’t feel like going alone. Next year I’ll meet you! ;)

41. MayaLee commented
    January 20th, 2010 at 3:51pm

I don’t have a green thumb… Maybe that’s why I take a lot of photos of flowers… They last longer at my wall framed and protected than they would ever do if I took care of them. Fortunately my hubby have a green thumb, he takes care of the flowers and spending a lot of time in our greenhouse. I think it is very nice to see a man taking care of flowers and the garden, it moves me…

This is my first flower memory; We had Lily Of The Valley growing just outside the hedge of my childhood home. They were blooming just in time for the summer break. I used to have a bouquet on my school bench the last day before the summer holiday. I can still remember the scent and the feeling of freedom to come…

Thank you so much for including my photo in this beautiful collection!

42. Kate commented
    January 20th, 2010 at 3:54pm

Fantastic! There is a possibility I’m going to hit up the Heimtex show as well in Frankfurt. It’s the week before Domotex. Such fantastic shows for color and trend!!! It was my first time at Domotex and it was seriously overwhelming for any designer, but I loved it! Germany and back to New York in 48 hours. NUTS!!! I’m still recovering!

43. Babs commented
    January 20th, 2010 at 4:03pm

Wow so pretty and so inspiring! Makes me want to run out to the local florist and pick up a big bunch to brighten my living room. Thanks for the post!

44. Jenn Corum commented
    January 20th, 2010 at 4:05pm

Oh how I love this post! * swoon * I love fresh flowers but seldom ever buy them and almost never arrange them for myself. But every time I walk by a flower shop, grocery store floral department or even the flower stand at Costco, I pause, even for just a moment, as my heart leaps at the thought of fresh flowers at home. I have got to stop pausing and make a full stop and purchase.

45. thedoodlegirl commented
    January 20th, 2010 at 4:14pm

Gorgeous! I currently have a vase full of light purple daisies on my dresser that make me feel SO happy! And daisies seem to last for a while, so here’s hoping for another week…Happy Wednesday to you!

46. Penny Patten commented
    January 20th, 2010 at 4:27pm

Oh so very, very pretty! Growing up my Mom was always gardening,(in season), growing both flowers and veggies. I too grow veggies and have flowers planted all over the yard!

47. Melissa de la Fuente commented
    January 20th, 2010 at 4:39pm

Ah, I love, love, love this. You are so good with your flowers Holly, really talented at arranging them. I am trying to learn how to do a better job arranging mine. They make me so happy when I have them in my home. Thanks for sharing this, so much beautiful inspiration.
    xoxo
    Melis

48. Laura C commented
    January 20th, 2010 at 4:45pm

One look at pretty flowers is enough to lift my mood! :) I need to get some to cheer up my house during these blah days of winter.

49. glitzkrieg commented
    January 20th, 2010 at 5:07pm

Loveliness! I was reading through some of my Domino magazines just this morning, admiring what they did with flowers! Their arrangements were always so gorgeous; flowers and branches displayed not-so-preciously, just as wonders.

50. toni moya commented
    January 20th, 2010 at 6:04pm

I have to say that I have been very inspired by flowers, having grown up in the midwest {Chicago area}. My mom always had flowers blooming all over our yard. I used to pick TONS of Lily of the Valley {although, I’m not sure these are really flowers??} as well as violets – it seemed these grew wild EVERYwhere. My favorite were the lilacs on huge bushes -we would make giant arrangements of these – so fragrant!! I miss this so much, as I now live in Phoenix, where unfortunately, these flowers do not grow. I have wonderful memories of my childhood in the midwest. Thanks for the memories!

51. linor commented
    January 20th, 2010 at 6:17pm

amazing colors! it really makes me smile :)

52. jen commented
    January 20th, 2010 at 6:42pm

Love the colors and pictures, but so sad I have to wait a couple more months to think about implementing them. Can’t winter just be over nOw!!

53. Lori commented
    January 20th, 2010 at 6:48pm

Such beautiful photos! The colors are amazing. I love flowers and having fresh flowers in the house. My husband is the sweetest man and every time he goes the grocery store, he picks up a bouquet. They don’t always have a great variety but at least its something with a little color. Thanks for sharing these images!

54. jamieofalltrades commented
    January 20th, 2010 at 7:37pm

Awe, i love flowers. I’m getting so excited for spring!

55. Alison commented
    January 20th, 2010 at 7:45pm

All I want to do is take an (inexpensive) floral design class at an independent flower shop…anyone know of one in NYC or Jersey City???

56. melinda commented
    January 20th, 2010 at 7:59pm

Ooh, such a lovely post! My family never bought fresh flowers when I was growing up, except for maybe Valentine’s day or some other special occasion. I love to buy fresh flowers, they really do add a pop of color and freshen up a room. I should put flowers on my shopping list for this weekend, I haven’t bought any in the past few weeks as money has been tight, but I think it would cheer me up in this winter dullness. I can’t wait for spring!

57. lpm commented
    January 20th, 2010 at 8:13pm

Love me some flowers! Beautiful post, Holly! I wondered if you had any tips for taking photos with point-and-shoot cameras? Your personal images (and those of my favorite bloggers) always come out so crisp. I live in a city with sunshine at least 350 days out of the year, yet I can barely take decent shots without using the flash. Thank you.

58. Beachtropic commented
    January 20th, 2010 at 9:35pm

I think I am becoming like your mother!! I have a beautiful garden, filled with mostly tropical foliage. This foliage looks fabulous in a vase, lasts for ages and there is always more coming. Perfect!! I also am a part time florist, mainly wedding flowers, bouquets and the like, and have to tell you, the trip to the markets is awesome. Not just the early morning, but the hustle and bustle, the sounds and smells. Oh and the CHEAP flowers. Its hard to restict to what the bride orders, I always come home with heaps for myself (there goes the profit, oh well!). One can never have too many vases I say. It might be a plastic container wrapped in bark or the ‘just right’ wrapping paper and tied with string.
    My 27 year old son has developed a green thumb also. It’s so cute, he grows his own veggies on his little balcony, and loves the joy of picking and making a salad from his own green thumbs.
    Thanks so much for spreading the joy of flowers Holly, you could post an arrangement everyday and no-one would complain.
    Di xo

59. suzanne commented
    January 20th, 2010 at 9:41pm

Wonderful post!
    Everyday I think about flowers in some way, shape or form. I worked for a Florist for almost 3 years and recently ended my full time position to branch out and do my own thing. With flowers, of course.
    Loved everything you said, Holly. I just couldn’t go about my day without a little something pretty brought in from outdoors…or a sprig purchased from my favorite shop. It really makes such a difference with our long winters here in Wiscsonsin!

Here’s to Flowers! :)

60. Stacey commented
    January 21st, 2010 at 10:06pm

So many gorgeous photos! I love plants. I buy flowers occasionally from the store, but I prefer houseplants because, well, they live longer :) I first got hooked on taking care of my own plants in junior high, when someone gave me a plant for free. I nursed that baby into a gorgeous, gigantic plant (that my mom eventually killed through neglect when I went away to college – she’s wonderful outdoors in the garden, but not so much with houseplants!). All my windowsills house numerous plants.

I’d like to get into flower arranging more – I’m just so intimidated by it, because I’ve seen so many gorgeous arrangements, and I feel like I don’t know how to live up to them!
    .-= Stacey´s last blog ..Gypsy Love =-.

61. angelshair commented
    January 22nd, 2010 at 11:08am

Wow! Beautiful!!
    I am in love with Stella Nicolaisen’s composition!

62. honey living commented
    January 22nd, 2010 at 12:56pm

oh holly, i have so many things to say!!! i totally agree about how looking at and working with flowers is a life-changing thing. i always feel happier and better when i have flowers around me, and i think it’s such a soothing and important ritual – a total component of positive self-care.’

if it’s okay, i’d also love to share some links with you and your readers because they’re so pertinent.

recently, i wrote a post called “not your mother’s teleflora” showcasing of all their modern and reasonably priced arrangements – great as a resource but also just for inspiration and style: http://honeyliving.blogspot.com/2010/01/teleflora.html

also, i featured as one of my “tiny treasures” a grocery store bunch for $5 and all the ways you can use it and work with it to create arrangements for every room of your home.

and lastly, “flower power with staying power,” a post i did with some tips for buying and arranging flowers at home so they look their best:
    .-= honey living´s last blog ..happy weekend! =-.

63. sara commented
    January 24th, 2010 at 11:55pm

oh my, they are so lovely and beautiful

64. Saioa commented
    January 27th, 2010 at 4:03am

I love flowers… the past weekend I bought a beautiful bouquet of small yellow flowers for a romantic dinner, ahhh… so cute.

The problem is that I have to keep them in the kitchen, otherwise my cat eats them.
    .-= Saioa´s last blog ..Tutú rosa =-.

65. Thili commented
    January 30th, 2010 at 8:12pm

Beautiful post!! Beautiful photos!!
    I LOVE flowers!
    I love to go to the farmers market just to pick fresh flowers and arrange them all over the house.
    I`m inspired by flowers and thats what I do nowadays, handmade fabric flowers :)
    Thank you so much for all the inspiration!
    Have a lovelly day!
    Thili from thiliblooms.blogspot.com
    .-= Thili´s last blog ..Ring [Flickr] =-.

66. Minna commented
    March 2nd, 2010 at 7:13am

Flowers rule! Want to get more inspiration, please visit my blog Blomsterverkstad – and get ideas and instructions how to use materials from your garden and nature – beautiful, eco and cheap! Thank you for your fantastic site! Minna :)
    .-= Minna ´s last blog ..Trädgårdsmässa i Malmö * Garden show in Malmö =-.

67. Emily commented
    May 2nd, 2010 at 11:59pm

These photographs are so beautiful!!! I added a link to this page in my blog post today! Thanks so much for finding all these BEAUTIFUL flowers for us to enjoy!

I love painting flowers, and these are some of the most beautiful I’ve seen for a while.

Thanks!
    .-= Emily´s last blog ..Painting #62 Branches in Green =-.