Color Inspiration, Decorating Tips

Photographer Anitta Behrendt + Turquoise

January 25, 2010

Let’s dive into the week with the inspiring work of photographer Anitta Behrendt who lives in Copenhagen whom I found back in September 2008 in German decorating magazine Living & More (blogged here).

Photographer Anitta Behrendt + Turquoise

I recently saw her on someone’s tumblr site and now I cannot remember who… but anyway if you read design magazines in this part of the world chances are you may be quite familiar with her work already. And if not, perhaps seeing these photos today will be a fresh glimpse into some very lovely interiors shot by a talented lady who makes beautiful rooms even more radiant. While peeking through the photos shown please be on the look out for buttons hand sewn onto a sofa. You’ll want to run home and duplicate the look!

Photographer Anitta Behrendt + Turquoise

With turquoise being the “it” trend color for 2010, some of these rooms may even give you a few ideas on ways to introduce it into your home if you don’t already have this breezy blue… one of my favorite colors. Especially since you will likely find it readily available in most stores so if you’re out shopping it should be easy to find.

Photographer Anitta Behrendt + Turquoise

How can you bring turquoise into the home? You can paint an accent piece, like a cabinet, bookcase or table in turquoise, even something smaller like a picture frame or a stool. Or if you’d like to be subtle, paint the inside of a cabinet with glass doors and inside, place all of your china and/or white porcelain so that the white really jumps out from the turquoise background. You can add a print from Etsy to your walls which lots of turquoise in it, or look for solid or patterned throw pillows to toss on the sofa or bed. Even glass bottles and vases, or pots, turquoise is nice as a bold statement or as a simple accent. You can even use clothes, jewelry and handbags as decorative accessories so pull out those turquoise beads and place them on a hook over your dresser. It goes with so many other colors from red to black, yellow to green, and looks especially nice with chocolate brown though I tend to prefer it with white and black and a touch of lilac and pale lime. In my home, I use turquoise in all of my rooms as an accent, for instance my taper candles are a light shade and my candle holders are white and silver.

Photographer Anitta Behrendt + Turquoise

Aren’t these rooms beautiful? I hope that you’ll take a moment today to look at Anitta’s online portfolio where you can be exposed to more of her lush interiors. Some days I just want to move to Copenhagen because I’ve not been and for a small city it certainly seems to have a lot of talent living there… Perhaps I’ll drive up this Spring or take the ICE. I need a mini break and I just have to see this city to believe all the hype for myself. Since moving to northern Germany I’m exposed to Danish life + culture so much more, time to get up there and shake a tail feather! Ha ha! Does anyone even say that anymore? I feel so behind with American slang it isn’t even funny!

Anyway, enjoy Anitta and I’ll be back with more goodies in a few…

(images: anitta behrendt)

You Might Also Like

• Reply laura trevey January 25, 2010 at 3:21 pm

I am loving the top images with the turquoise chest of drawers!
    Just beautiful and airy!
    .-= laura trevey´s last blog ..Bold Vision : Cassandra LaValle =-.

• Reply Juana @ SweetVisualAids January 25, 2010 at 3:32 pm

I love the little details of the turquoise bottles with flowers :)
    Ah! Copenhagen is also in my list :) i think it was recently named world’s best city for quality of life! :D
    .-= Juana @ SweetVisualAids´s last blog ..Ready to eat in 25min! =-.

• Reply Christine January 25, 2010 at 3:45 pm

Those shades of aqua and turquoise are so striking ! I have one room that is painted the same color as the hanging lamp and have paired that shade with red, but I rather like how it looks here with lighter shades..instant face lift to a room. Great shots and welcoming living spaces~
    .-= Christine´s last blog ..One World, One Heart Giveaway 2010! =-.

• Reply sylvie of silver lining January 25, 2010 at 3:53 pm

such a dreamy and impeccably decorated home. i can’t get enough of the turqoise stools and teacups. love!

.-= sylvie of silver lining´s last blog ..bear hug =-.

• Reply coolranchstudio / oh chalet! January 25, 2010 at 3:56 pm

these rooms are so breezy and beautiful – especially on a rainy, chilly day like today.
    .-= coolranchstudio / oh chalet!´s last blog ..something old, something new =-.

• Reply Brigitte January 25, 2010 at 4:03 pm

Wow! I love how soft and bright these interiors are. Happy images on a gloomy winter day (at least here in Chicago).
    .-= Brigitte´s last blog ..Print Society, Revisted =-.

• Reply FinderMaker January 25, 2010 at 4:05 pm

I Love Turquoise! This was a terrific article with great suggestions; I just wanted to add one more: foo dogs! I’ve lived in both NY and LA, and in each city’s Chinatown area I’ve run across a number of shops that sell affordable Chinese porcelain foo dogs with a deep, turquoise glaze. I just love my pair; they add a bold dash of turquoise to my bookshelves! Old turquoise glass seltzer bottles (found at flea markets and antique shops) add a nice splash of color as well.

• Reply Victoria Klein January 25, 2010 at 4:10 pm

Bring on the turquoise!
    .-= Victoria Klein´s last blog ..2010 Project 365 :: Day 025 =-.

• Reply Lea January 25, 2010 at 4:10 pm

I’m glad turquoise is the ‘it’ color this year. That way I can actually find items I like in that color & stock up before it falls into the ‘so passe’ category.

I really like that little table in the bottom photo; it’s something I’d like for the patio.

• Reply carol January 25, 2010 at 4:29 pm

turquoise is a color that just glows.
    I also love it paired with white and then some black elements to keep it from being too sweet!

• Reply Brandi January 25, 2010 at 4:36 pm

Oh, turquoise, you’ve always been my “it” color. These photos are lovely and that one cabinet with the bottles on top of it — I’m just in love. And I really like the simple turquoise touches in the last few rooms. What a great way to incorporate such an awesome color.
    .-= Brandi´s last blog ..Subtle Touches =-.

• Reply nichole January 25, 2010 at 4:46 pm

I’ve always been amazed by aqua’s ability to be at once completely calming and yet so brilliant (color-wise).

Wonderful photos!
    .-= nichole´s last blog ..Brown =-.

• Reply Marjolijn January 25, 2010 at 4:53 pm

Though living in Belgium I could arrange a subscription to the German Living & More and their service really is great, because they kindly send me some specials as well sometimes. And I´m fan of turquoise, it´s such a fresh and beautiful colour.
    A pleasure to follow your blog!
    Many greetings, Marjolijn
    .-= Marjolijn´s last blog ..All in the detail =-.

• Reply Amie January 25, 2010 at 4:54 pm

Oh, I’m so into turquoise currently! So much so, that last winter, I had our kitchen painted in this beautiful colour :) and I’m working on a crocheted runner for our diningroom sideboard to bring more turquoise in.
    .-= Amie´s last blog ..A soft place to play =-.

• Reply Annabelle January 25, 2010 at 4:57 pm

Oh my goodness!! I love all of these, especially the second photo of the living space with the gorgeous chest of drawers.

Isn’t it heavenly with a touch of pink and red too?
    .-= Annabelle´s last blog ..Chirpy chick cushion =-.

• Reply Ilaria January 25, 2010 at 5:02 pm

Simply beautiful! Thank’s for this post, I love turquoise!

• Reply Sandra January 25, 2010 at 5:04 pm

Holly,have you checked out the magazine ‘Wohnen Träume’ yet? It’s so expensive (6€) but sooo nice and worth it,my absolute favourite! Maybe a bit too country-ish for you,but still, the pictures are so well-made, they have book tips, event tips, and of course they show pretty homes!

• Reply decor8 January 25, 2010 at 5:40 pm

Sandra – Yes I know that magazine and you’re right, it’s a bi too country for me but they still have excellent photos and content, you are right. Thank you for saying hello!!!

• Reply barbara January 25, 2010 at 5:41 pm

Turquoise and aqua are my favorite signature colors for clothes and I have a lot of them. So this year I guess I will be accused of “following the trend”. No matter, I love turquoise and glad so much more of it will be available this year. Now if Design Master paint will re-introduce the teal that it discontinued a few years ago, that would be heaven. I love the smallish turquoise armoire in that room, and the buttons on the sofa are seriously tempting. Maybe on the side that hubby doesn’t sit on! Maybe I can surprise him when he comes home from the next business trip.
    .-= barbara´s last blog ..Heartbreak for Haiti =-.

• Reply decor8 January 25, 2010 at 5:44 pm

@Barbara – I love the color too and have as far back as I can remember so I guess this year we’re in vogue. :)

• Reply Cheryl January 25, 2010 at 6:56 pm

I hope you found a possibility for an apt over the weekend or have some prospects on the horizon for next weekend’s viewing. one thing for sure — you will love transforming your new space into an inviting home. Turquoise and aqua with a soft lilac — umm, that does sound like a lovely combination, along with whites or soft greys.

• Reply fannie January 25, 2010 at 7:26 pm

oh i luv luv!! but i click to save the pic for my inspiration board and the whole mosaic of images saves. how do i just save one luvely photo? and also flickr will not allow enlargement? can u change ur blog and flickr settings s’il vous plait so we can save and enalrge!!

• Reply decor8 January 26, 2010 at 2:25 am

fannie – I tend to group my images but you can save them and use Photoshop to crop them however you’d like.

• Reply jack + jenn January 25, 2010 at 8:59 pm

Anitta Behrendt’s work is breathtaking! All the photos are simple and stunning. Turquoise is such an inspiring color!
    .-= jack + jenn´s last blog .."Our Hearts Are With You, Haiti" Poster =-.

• Reply Kristine January 25, 2010 at 9:01 pm

Holly, I just love the mix of pale blue and turquoise – thank you so much for sharing these gorgeous photos! A tad off topic, but have you found the German magazine Wohnen&Garten? It’s beautiful and the website is so lovely, too. My husband brought it back for me from a trip to Frankfurt, and I just wish I could get it here.

• Reply decor8 January 26, 2010 at 2:23 am

Kristine – Oh yes, you are right, it sure is. :)

• Reply jules @ the diversion project January 25, 2010 at 9:16 pm

Turquoise is so perfect – Pantone were really on the money this year!

Loving thsoe Tolix stools, actually i love it all! thanks :)

.-= jules @ the diversion project´s last blog ..We’re Happy Little Vegemites =-.

• Reply Julia January 25, 2010 at 9:18 pm

This post definitely gave me some motivation – my father recently gave my sister and I a huge box of twenty-five antique Ball jars to split between us that are all TURQUOISE colored! Unfortunately I have not unpacked them yet because my rental has (lovely) mustard gold walls and my living room accents are red. But I think I could introduce the Ball jars to the kitchen or bathroom where things are a little more neutral and take it from there :)!

• Reply Melissa de la Fuente January 25, 2010 at 10:31 pm

ooh, I love, love these rooms. All of them, the wonderful way the turquoise is brought in and all of the lovely, lovely details! Thanks for sharing this with us hun!
    .-= Melissa de la Fuente´s last blog ..Monday: Inspired by telling fear where to stick it =-.

• Reply So Spiffy January 26, 2010 at 6:45 am

I really love the sofa… the black one.. oh I’ve been looking for a piece for a while now, we just built our home but don’t have furniture yet, so hard to find and compromise with what is modern yet comfy….
    .-= So Spiffy´s last blog ..A Chic Modern Outside with a side of fashion and a plate of Christmas and I LOVE Schogetten! =-.

• Reply caro January 26, 2010 at 6:48 am

Wow beautiful pics and great colors – I like it when turquiose, white and wood meet each other. And I thing (as a loyal reader) Living and More really NEEDS a web-site!
    .-= caro´s last blog ..DIY Hearts =-.

• Reply Travelingmama January 26, 2010 at 7:22 am

I am right there with all the turquoise lovers. I have a voice inside my head that keeps screaming “put down the turquoise and pick a different color, woman!” Sometimes I listen and sometimes I tell it to shut up! I have seen many Danes mount their cabinets on the wall rather than letting them rest inches further down on the floor. I think I like it and have already added this little touch to my list of “musts” for our new home in CPH. You will have to tell us all about CPH when you go! I have heard that it is absolutely wonderful in the late spring!
    .-= Travelingmama´s last blog ..{real} school =-.

• Reply Melissa Allam January 26, 2010 at 11:51 am

Turquoise is one of my favorites too. I like it with white and black little touches of pink.
    .-= Melissa Allam´s last blog ..Knack =-.

• Reply Christine@TheFiveSenses January 26, 2010 at 2:09 pm

I particularly love the picture of the work space. I would love to have an inspiring space like that. Turquoise is a great color to balance out the brightness of spaces with a lot of white.

• Reply Mel January 26, 2010 at 8:47 pm

You know, I’ve never really been into blue as a decor colour. These pictures could change my mind. :)
    Love those stressed looking cabinets in the second pic.
    .-= Mel´s last blog ..~* vintage books, french soup, and a reorganise *~ =-.

• Reply emily at thirtyeight20 January 27, 2010 at 3:11 pm

Love these beautiful images, but I’m a little sad that turquoise is the ‘in’ color this year. It’s been my favorite favorite for years, and after this year it will be out of style. Not that I REALLY care, as I’m not much of a trend follower… but still. I wanted to corner the turquoise market for awhile longer. :-)

That said, I must have one of those painted Tolix stools in the first image. Amazing.
    .-= emily at thirtyeight20´s last blog ..Homemade Thirtyeight20 Business Cards =-.

• Reply decor8 January 27, 2010 at 3:43 pm

Emily – Don’t be sad, be happy because it will be everywhere in the stores so you can get some pretty turquoise things and then hang onto them because next year when everyone is rockin’ some other color, you can pull out your turquoise and do your own thing. he he. :)