Up In The Air Somewhere

I’ve been thinking lately a lot about minimalistic organic white ceramics and how I naturally gravitate towards them when I’m out shopping. And more recently, I’ve been dreaming of white and gold ceramics and jewelry and I’m not sure where this obsession stems from. Then I remembered Up in the Air Somewhere which is Chicago-based designer and artist Susan Dwyer because she uses some white and gold in her work…

Up In The Air Somewhere

Susan makes some of the most stunning papier mache and ceramic vessels and spoons… and because she does not use molds, no two pieces are alike making them each display subtle differences from the last. This isn’t helping to tame my desire for all things white and gold… :) So, so pretty.

Up In The Air Somewhere

On a personal note, I’ve been wanting to paint things white with gold trim and I’ve set my sights on some pear-shaped wood coasters that I have and a brooch that I’ll have to work on later this week to satisfy my curiosity.

What about you, do you have any particular obsessions lately?

(photos: Ben Syverson)

Posted by decor8 in ceramics on January 26, 2010

1. shawn angela commented
    January 26th, 2010 at 9:14am

These are so etheral looking….like the wind could just take them away.I love the delicate beauty of the first image and the gold just enhances that other-worldly feel.
    .-= shawn angela´s last blog ..Shopping: Red Chair Antiques =-.

2. Danielle commented
    January 26th, 2010 at 9:37am

WOW! Beautiful stuff!! I will have to check it out more.

3. flick commented
    January 26th, 2010 at 10:13am

I love those images… I can see why you have this obsession! I am going through a serious white linen stage at the moment, I have been here before.. the obsession comes and goes! Goog luck with your painting projects, I would love to see how they turn out.

4. Kajsa commented
    January 26th, 2010 at 10:20am

You see the gold and I see the yellow! I got a simple wooden table last Autumn and have been wanting to paint it yellow ever since. Those yellow dipped mugs made me think I might dare to do it!
    .-= Kajsa´s last blog ..Moody Monday =-.

5. Rachel @ Little Aviary commented
    January 26th, 2010 at 10:25am

Really beautiful… I’m completely enamored by the first and last pieces.
    .-= Rachel @ Little Aviary´s last blog ..I LOVE =-.

6. Heather- Gathering Spriggs commented
    January 26th, 2010 at 11:07am

yes, these are gorgeous. and lighter than air. funny how the shop name happpens to be the title of a popular movie now.
    thanks for sharing. and good luck with your crafting projects. hope we see them soon! :)
    .-= Heather- Gathering Spriggs´s last blog ..Lilydove + Chou Chou =-.

7. Melissa Allam commented
    January 26th, 2010 at 11:20am

I really want to silver or aluminum leaf a piece of furniture and a frame. Either I have seen alot of this lately or this is what my eye is gravitating towards.
    .-= Melissa Allam´s last blog ..Knack =-.

8. Claire Quilter commented
    January 26th, 2010 at 1:25pm

Beautiful. Her pieces remind me much of Eva Ziesel’s work in spirit.

My current obsession? A beautiful shade of pearl gray. I bought a whole bolt of it and keeps appearing in all the quilts I’ve been making lately.

9. Dolan Geiman commented
    January 26th, 2010 at 2:38pm

It’s great to see Up in the Air Somewhere featured on decor8. We met Susan at the Renegade Craft Fair in Brooklyn. Love the work.
    .-= Dolan Geiman´s last blog ..Support Brick and Mortar: Seagrass (Winnetka, IL) =-.

10. Caroline commented
    January 26th, 2010 at 4:22pm

Less is more is this and beautiful!

I have a huge hang-up-obsession on birds on street lights. Like these two I have made:
    and this one:
    .-= Caroline´s last blog ..The fossil house =-.

11. manette commented
    January 26th, 2010 at 5:01pm

I love her work, I also saw it at Renegade Craft Fair but in SF. Her pieces have such a simple and organic feel.

Current obsession(s) clean, light, simple swedish style of decorating, now that my walls and decor are full of vibrant colors. I love my bright colors, but I think spring is calling, thus the yearning for something new.

12. Melibu commented
    January 27th, 2010 at 5:08am

I like the simplicity and purity of each of her pieces !
    For my part, I’m currently obseesed by frames… I love frames, any frames, any color !
    .-= Melibu´s last blog ..Alice b. Gardens =-.

13. Anna commented
    January 27th, 2010 at 7:01am

Your white is my cerulian blue. It’s a strong vivid dark turkoise. A subtle petrol, but less green. Just to look at it makes me feel good :)
    Another obsession are birds. With a slight tendency towards barn owls.
    It’s time springs shows its color to us at last. Here in Berlin the snow gets dirty and black.

14. Design Fixation commented
    January 27th, 2010 at 2:59pm

The fifth image reminds me of a Sunday brunch – eggs over easy! Such a happy color…. The form of the cup is very basic, but the blast of brilliant color really makes the piece. Beautiful!
    .-= Design Fixation´s last blog ..You’re Invited =-.

15. Erin @ SYL: Slipcover Your Life commented
    January 27th, 2010 at 4:59pm

What lovely work! Loving the little touches of gold…
    .-= Erin @ SYL: Slipcover Your Life´s last blog ..Etsy Special Delivery: Share Your Love 2010 =-.

16. Kelly commented
    January 27th, 2010 at 5:03pm

I’ve just recently discovered Susan’s work and am IN LOVE with her paper-mache bowls. It’s great to see Chicago artists represented by such stunning work!

17. Ashy commented
    January 28th, 2010 at 7:11am

i want to say thanks to Susan for sharing such innovative and unique art.

18. Sarah commented
    January 29th, 2010 at 5:22pm

wow, beautiful!

19. Jessica Woody commented
    January 31st, 2010 at 11:38am

These ceramics are gorgeous! They could really brighten up a home. In my etsy shop, I sell upcycled canisters that might suit your fancy. ;-)

.-= Jessica Woody´s last blog ..Theme – Travel =-.

20. Rachel commented
    February 2nd, 2010 at 1:09am

I’ve been obsessed with picture frames lately. I am currently working on a collage to cover one of the walls in my house. Also, Paris, just in general.
    .-= Rachel´s last blog .."Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does. " William James =-.