Things

The Poster List

January 27, 2010

I love a good positive message now and then because, though it may seem on my blog that I’m all rainbows and unicorns the truth is, I have moments when I want to throw stuff at my computer screen. Let’s face it, as much as we freelancers love to well, freelance we still face the same emotions in our home offices as we once did in our corporate ones. And today, I felt one of those moments when I came home from a fabulous ladies luncheon only to realize how much work laid before me and after all that fun with the girls, how little motivation I felt to actually DO any of it.

The Poster List

And when you work from home you have to continuously pull from the deepest part of yourself to stay motivated and on top of things. In a traditional work environment, you usually have people physically in your face to remind you that there is work to do. At home, alone, you can simply shut your laptop and THEY ALL MAGICALLY GO AWAY. Poof! And some days, like this afternoon, I shut my laptop. Hard. And it felt good. I went out and bought a very tall, very vanilla, very delicious latte and circled around on foot a bit aimless for about 30 minutes to sort of burn off how truly unmotivated I felt.

Then when I was less of a crab with a serious case of poor me, I returned home, opened my laptop and the motivation and joy returned because a few of my friends who I think must be psychic, sent some hilarious emails and well… those positive messages made everything that was black feel very, very light and white again. The rainbows and unicorns are back in my heart. :) And so, here are some positive messages in the form of pop art for you today from The Poster List.

Enjoy!

(the poster list)

40 Comments

• Reply Tara January 27, 2010 at 4:03 pm

WOW! What a perfect time to post this. I can’t relate more to this and you said it perfectly. I love the encouraging words, not to mention your amazing blog. Love to look at it everyday. Thanks for this, definitely uplifting.

.-= Tara´s last blog ..{vintage headband} =-.

• Reply Kristi January 27, 2010 at 4:08 pm

So very glad the rainbows and unicorns are back! I love these motivational posters…this is just what I needed today Holly!
    .-= Kristi´s last blog ..Inspired by words: kind words =-.

• Reply Caroline January 27, 2010 at 4:10 pm

Tallest latte is the best inspiration: or the environment around it and the lovely feeling when you sip the first sip.

Bought four posters from the Posterlist and like them a lot.

Have a nice Wednesday evening!
    .-= Caroline´s last blog ..The fossil house =-.

• Reply frauheuberg January 27, 2010 at 4:12 pm

…how fitting…i feel the same today…so i decided to do it like so many times already…I’ve released myself from “the problem” to solve it…yes, your homework for us…;)…not really a problem, but the first it was…and i went out with my little girl…jump in the snow, feel the ice in my face…and the sun, the light…and was so free at one time…and now few hours later it flowed…love all the poster message…great…keeps me smiling…thanks for sharing…and a lovley night…;)…
    .-= frauheuberg´s last blog ..make a note =-.

• Reply anetteshus.com January 27, 2010 at 4:29 pm

Looove these!!

Anette:)
    xo
    .-= anetteshus.com´s last blog ..ANTIQUE TEXTILES 2 =-.

• Reply Carolyn January 27, 2010 at 4:44 pm

Oh, Holly! I am having a similar day – thank you for sending rainbows and unicorns my way today :). Love these posters and their messages! Time for me to get a delicious latte and then once again open up the laptop.
    .-= Carolyn´s last blog ..Tuesday Treasures =-.

• Reply yvonne rosenfield January 27, 2010 at 4:56 pm

Very good idea, great colors.
    I am a new visitor. Great job.

yvonne

• Reply Lucia January 27, 2010 at 5:07 pm

perfect post for my day!!! I was feeling so terrible today about my “freelance and creative” job … thinking how would I make this work? and lot of stuff you probably know … thank you for sharing, I feel so relate today.
    Your blog is always a great stop in the day to find inspiration, thank you for that!!

• Reply Melissa de la Fuente January 27, 2010 at 5:35 pm

Oh, I so hear you my dear! Although you have infinite more work than I do, I am sure! I think that is a very good solution…and there aint nothin a big vanilla yummy latte can’t cure! :) i completely understand feeling no movitvation and am so glad yours comes back with a little break. I think the other thing about working at home, is that sometimes we find it very hard to move away from the work and then you need a break even more. I am hoping the rest of your day was relaxed and worry free….
    xo
    Melis
    .-= Melissa de la Fuente´s last blog ..Melissa loves: Charmaine Olivia =-.

• Reply Bonnie January 27, 2010 at 6:01 pm

Those posters are great! I looked through them ALL and… I want about a third. Thanks for sharing!
    .-= Bonnie´s last blog ..Two-Month House Challenge! =-.

• Reply Victoria Bennett Beyer January 27, 2010 at 6:13 pm

Glad to hear the rainbows and unicorns are back :) We all have days like this. These great posters gave me a much-needed dose of encouragement, too.
    .-= Victoria Bennett Beyer´s last blog ..I Want To Come With You =-.

• Reply jules @ the diversion project January 27, 2010 at 6:14 pm

I’ve done both, work for self and work for others. I’m currently in a really sweet work for others situation but i still envy being able to shut the laptop and head out the door!! Sometimes you need to just break it up and go find inspiration to come back and face it all again.

Love the posters – thanks for the link!

jules
    .-= jules @ the diversion project´s last blog ..London =-.

• Reply Elizabeth January 27, 2010 at 6:17 pm

Lack of motivation for freelancers? Funny you should mention in it, as I was just dropping by during my “poor, unmotivated me” afternoon slump. You see, your blog is where I go to take a deep breath, momentarily escape from my at-home writing and web consulting work and just BE for a bit.

This is my first time to really comment (though I haven’t missed a day pouring over your blog for quite some time). But this just seemed to be the perfect opportunity to let you know that your desire to share and create this snug little place for us makes your blog *MY* very vanilla, very delicious latte.

So, thank you–especially for keeping this place so warm, cozy and inspiring…even on days when motivation is quite elusive.

• Reply Linz January 27, 2010 at 6:44 pm

tankoo for the positive messages!!! we soooo need them in the middle of the week. it seems a lot of people are going through tough times right now, so these messages are very timely!

• Reply Brooke January 27, 2010 at 7:09 pm

Hope you wake up feeling better tomorrow :) xox
    .-= Brooke´s last blog ..Signatures =-.

• Reply Laine January 27, 2010 at 7:43 pm

Nothing beats a gorgeous, well designed motivational poster and these are no exception…

Awesome colours, great designed and they make you feel good on the inside – absolute perfection!

.-= Laine´s last blog ..Coming Soon. =-.

• Reply Amy January 27, 2010 at 9:08 pm

oh do i ever hear you on this… definitely on the same wavelength. i think it’s something about end of january – have been sensing this same feeling in myself and in some others too! these posters are great and i know we can all continue to encourage each other!
    .-= Amy´s last blog ..Staying Inspired… =-.

• Reply katie January 27, 2010 at 9:55 pm

i’m really motivated on inspirational sayings and posters, too! i love these selections and will definitely check out the poster list :) thanks for the lovely ideas!
    .-= katie´s last blog ..Stronger, Better, Healthier, Happier Lifestyle Update =-.

• Reply Jessica Zee January 27, 2010 at 10:35 pm

You’re so right–freelancing is awesome, but some days… A message of encouragement definitely can go a long way. Thank you for posting these!
    .-= Jessica Zee´s last blog ..Linky Link: What I’m reading these days (and you might enjoy, too) =-.

• Reply Melissa Allam January 27, 2010 at 10:38 pm

Although, I love all your rainbows and unicorns, because they bring a bright spot to my day, I like when you let it all out and post a few posts like this one.
    .-= Melissa Allam´s last blog ..Show some sweet love… =-.

• Reply flick January 27, 2010 at 11:21 pm

Thanks for sharing such honesty! Sometimes it feels as if I am the only person who wants to kill my laptop due to sheer frustration and lack of ideas! You brightened my day…
    .-= flick´s last undefined ..If you register your site for free at =-.

• Reply Miss Bojambo January 27, 2010 at 11:59 pm

I feel like I am dragging my body to the finish line. January is seriously a cloudy, grey mess and my only fuel is sweet memories of brighter and longer days, riding my bicycle, wearing dresses, gardening, and bursts of flora and fauna … Thank you for the pop art positive post. I am adding it to my personal gas tank.
    .-= Miss Bojambo´s last blog ..New Jewelry for Valentine’s Day at MissBojambo.Etsy.com =-.

• Reply jenn January 28, 2010 at 12:51 am

very cool posters! I don’t work from home, but I make my own schedule for work. Sometimes it’s really hard to get up when the alarm is going off when I know that I don’t really HAVE to go to work… but then I realize that I’m not going to get paid unless I do… so I hit snooze about 5 times and then go in about an hour later than originally planned :)

• Reply Adam January 28, 2010 at 2:27 am

Thx so much for the post, I’ve had those days/weeks too…glad to help brighten up the day!

• Reply So Spiffy January 28, 2010 at 2:30 am

I’m digging the keep calm and rock on… something I should advise myself to do DAILY.
    .-= So Spiffy´s last blog ..A Chic Modern Outside with a side of fashion and a plate of Christmas and I LOVE Schogetten! =-.

• Reply caro January 28, 2010 at 4:13 am

The “Do your best” Poster would look fantastic in my living-room. Great colors (I got a crush on turquoise) and I love the little clouds. Thank you for sharing.
    .-= caro´s last blog ..love 2 fonts =-.

• Reply Merissa January 28, 2010 at 6:06 am

Haha! I seriously love this post! Not only are the posters AWESOME! but the things you have said are so down to earth true, for me as well. I got a good chuckle! How can I add hearts and stars to this cause I love it so!?
    .-= Merissa´s last blog ..: A beach photo, Kauai : =-.

• Reply Spotted Sparrow January 28, 2010 at 6:46 am

So true! I’m sure a lot of us are reading this and thinking “I’m glad it’s not just me!”. The endless grey skies of northern Europe are certainly not helping. When I feel myself getting into a funk, I reach out to my online support group, or escape for a walk in the park to clear my head.

• Reply nelly January 28, 2010 at 7:03 am

“Rock on” that’s what we want and thanks to decor8 for sharing such new things. keep on rocking

• Reply visualingual January 28, 2010 at 9:24 am

For more motivational-type posters, check out this series of Accidental Aphorisms prints that my studio designed and screenprinted, using bits and pieces of ghost signs found in our neighborhood in Cincinnati. “Carry out something unlimited” is my favorite!
    .-= visualingual´s last blog ..Cincinnati Ohio Fountain Square Make-Ready Print =-.

• Reply thedoodlegirl January 28, 2010 at 11:48 am

Coolest posters!
    .-= thedoodlegirl´s last blog ..Trees at Night =-.

• Reply whorange January 28, 2010 at 12:33 pm

honey, i’m totally with you on that! so funny, i woke up this morning, realized how much work was ahead, and just brought my laptop to my bed, which i NEVER do. one of the toughest things about freelancing is you are always working (or looking for work, which is the worst) and your office is in your home. and the motivation element you brought up also applies.

hang in there! together we so rock!

• Reply Morgan Bradshaw January 28, 2010 at 4:00 pm

i love these print too cute!

• Reply richele January 28, 2010 at 5:03 pm

I’m with you on the motivation working at home.

errr…that’s why I’m on your site!
    .-= richele´s last blog .. =-.

• Reply Anissa January 28, 2010 at 11:07 pm

i so needed this today…i’m starting to think we all feel this way…thanks!!!
    .-= Anissa´s last blog ..Valentine Gift Guide 2010 =-.

• Reply Katie January 29, 2010 at 9:40 am

That is how I have been feeling all week. If I had a boss, I would be in a lot of trouble. I’m usually so motivated, but… maybe it’s winter. Makes me feel better to see how many people feel like this from time to time too.
    .-= Katie ´s last blog ..Word =-.

• Reply Mindy January 29, 2010 at 2:00 pm

I know exactly how you feel, I have a full time job and then I go home to freelance after work, it’s very difficult to stare at a computer for over 14 hours a day. I guess we’re just blessed that we have work though :-)

• Reply chelsea January 29, 2010 at 5:14 pm

oh my! I love them all! I sent them to the honey so hopefully he can help me chose!

• Reply Annie January 29, 2010 at 6:16 pm

love these inpirational posters! I could use one of these in every room of my house!

• Reply Jennifer at NicoleJaneHome January 30, 2010 at 10:19 am

January is brutal for me. It’s a very slow time in my business and very gray outside–tough to stay motivated when you’re dreaming of Mexico! Thanks for being so real and letting the rest of us feel like we aren’t the only ones who lose our groove once in a while.