Lütt & Fien Shop

Today we’re all going to visit Hamburg, Germany to visit a lovely little shop that also functions online for those not living nearby. You may or may not have heard of this city before but if not it’s located an hour north of where I live and is close to the Danish border, near to the sea. It is commonly known for it’s fish market, gorgeous old town hall, and for being a popular media city along with it’s growing design scene. Lütt & Fien is a shop located in the Eppendorf district on Erikastrasse that owners, Ulrike Petri und Patrick Seegers, describe as a, “Typical, old and charming Hamburgian street, filled with special shops.”

Lütt & Fien: Hamburg

Lütt & Fien, which opened in November 2008, carries toys, accessories and furniture for children and adults who are young at heart. Their offerings reflect a combination of things that they love — classic design from their own childhood and new designs from established and emerging independent artists and designers both near and far with an attention to quality, practical design and fair production methods.

I asked Ulrike and Patrick a few questions about their shop, so I’ll share those answers with you now. First of all, the name. What does it mean?

L & F: Lütt und Fien means small and fine in Plattdeutsch, a dialect of northern Germany. It is a play on words. It can mean our specific products are small and fine, or that we have fine things for small people.

Lütt & Fien: Hamburg

And next I wondered what personally inspires them about living in Hamburg?

L & F: We are fascinated with the calm and sensitive soul of the original inhabitants of Hamburg. They possess the character of the harbor of Hamburg; the bridges, cutters and container ships; the old sailor stories from around the world; the odor of distant lands and the stiff breeze that always blows.

I also asked why they opened a shop, of course.

L & F: While taking our design courses we were preoccupied with this question: Do durable products have to be boring? Every classic design gives us the answer: NO, of course not! We, as trained designers, are always searching for functional, skillfully crafted solutions made with great material. What we are interested in is not a particular style. We find it more exciting to assemble things from different times and production backgrounds. We also look for rarities and special items, and focus on unconventional arrangements, like children do, and we don’t look for brand names or status symbols. The cultural quality of growing up with not much, but having long-lasting and aesthetically remarkable toys, is what we want to support with Lütt und Fien.

And when shopping I always want to know which lines are the most popular in a shop. Here’s what they had to say.

L & F: We offer many items from small traditional workshops, like Sirch, Lotte Sievers Hahn, Kösen and Feiler, just to name a few. We also provide products made by young designers, and our own developed brand, Lütt und Fien, which you can only buy from us.

Lütt & Fien: Hamburg

Lütt & Fien: Hamburg

I finally inquired as to how they want their customers to feel upon entering their shop as I think every shop owner should consider this.

L & F: We want to pass on to our customers the impression of clearness and openness, but simultaneously give them grounds for discovery and a closer look. That is the reason why we always decorate our shop windows with little stories or worlds.  We have created a place where children and their parents (especially the grandparents) stand and are fascinated.

I love all of the wooden toys, which is quite common in Germany — you can find wooden toys in major department stores and small shops which I think is really nice because back in Boston most of the wooden toys I found were very expensive because they were mostly imports from Europe. Some of my favorite things include: The little kissing dolls available in red/white or blue/white, the Yoshitomo Nara dog on wheels (I want this and I don’t even have children), and all of the mini kitchen gadgets. When I visit Hamburg again I am going to visit this store and check out their district to see if I can spot some other fresh design stores to blog about. :)

A big thanks to the Lütt & Fien for visiting us here today — and if you are interested in something that you see on their website (it’s in German, sorry for that), you can always email them in English and see if they’ll ship it to where you live. (post AT luettundfien.de)

(images: Lütt und Fien)

Posted by decor8 in Shop Tours on February 12, 2010

1. laura trevey commented
    February 12th, 2010 at 10:13am

What an adorable shop with so many bright and cheerful goodies to look at!! Have fun!
    .-= laura trevey´s last blog ..Are you a Flirt? =-.

2. juliette commented
    February 12th, 2010 at 10:58am

Hamburg is on our to-visit list, the short one. I’ll have to add this to my Hamburg folder b/c walking around there seems to be one of the best things.

I just want to say I love the frame-style shelves they use in their store. I think that’s really clever. It makes me look at the products on their shelves even more than I might normally. Just last night we were discussing shallow shelves for our LR and I didn’t think it was a good idea, but my husband did – he must’ve been envisioning something like this, b/c this is do-able. yay!
    .-= juliette´s last blog ..3 Cozy Ways to Counter Cabin Fever =-.

3. Ashley commented
    February 12th, 2010 at 11:27am

I love Hamburg. Your blog is making me miss Germany!!!! I don’t know if you have ever been to KARE, they have some awesome pieces of furniture and decor. I lived in Regensburg for 3 years and loved the shopping!
    .-= Ashley´s last blog ..I love european style =-.

4. Laura Evans commented
    February 12th, 2010 at 12:29pm

so hamburg was already on my list (i think it’s a 5 hour drive) … now i have another reason to visit! now how about some shops a little closer to home for me … !
    .-= Laura Evans´s last blog ..it’s all in the details – 8×8 original fine art photographic print =-.

5. Meredtith commented
    February 12th, 2010 at 12:42pm

I’m quite certain I want everything in their shop! I love small, cute, and fine things!

6. Beth commented
    February 12th, 2010 at 1:28pm

Absolutly cute products in this store. I wish it was near me, I would shop there all the time!

7. Polly commented
    February 12th, 2010 at 2:32pm

Wow! I wish there was one near me. This shop looks AMAZING! xx
    .-= Polly´s last blog ..NEW BLOG! =-.

8. Jill commented
    February 12th, 2010 at 2:33pm

Wow! I love this store. Wish I was there.
    Thanks for sharing!

9. Conny commented
    February 12th, 2010 at 2:44pm

I was born and raised in HH, but I’ve never seen this store before! OMG! I gotta go and check it out – it looks so adorable with its lovely items and its cute designs!

I really hope people have heard of Hamburg. Well, it is the second largest city in Germany after all :)

Whoever comes to visit, i am willing to help find some insider places to check out! It really is a fun place, esp. around Xmas time!

10. decor8 commented
    February 12th, 2010 at 3:14pm

Conny you’d be surprised – when I was moving to Germany and tried to tell my friends back in the U.S. that I was moving south of Hamburg to Hannover they said, “Where is that, is it near the black forest or the autobahn?”. I kid you not. And these people have uni degrees. LOL

11. Line commented
    February 12th, 2010 at 3:23pm

sehr schön, wenn ich das nächste Mal in Hamburg bin schau ich da gleich mal vorbei…

übrigens sehr schöner blog

12. Ani Tashjian commented
    February 12th, 2010 at 3:37pm

If only I could somehow transport myself to this shop right now! So cute!

13. Conny commented
    February 12th, 2010 at 3:42pm

Hahaha! Yes, I know! i had similar responses when I lived in UT and CA for 7 years. I was somewhat joking, I know most people don’t know. But awareness seems to increase, which is always a good thing! Thanks for responding!

P.S: I need to look up a store (which i unfortunately don’t know the name of) that may be of interest to you. It’s also located in HH. Keep up the good work. You are very inspiring. :)

14. Sam commented
    February 12th, 2010 at 4:09pm

This place looks quite divine. Come on America, get it us the goods here too!

xx,
    Samantha @PrettyLovely
    .-= Sam´s last blog ..Winter =-.

15. Mallory commented
    February 12th, 2010 at 11:21pm

If I ever get to open the shop I dream of (someday!) I will definitely work some of those shallow frame-style shelves into my design.
    .-= Mallory´s last blog ..Mary Poppins Pick for 2/12/10 =-.

16. Danielle commented
    February 13th, 2010 at 12:21am

I love Hamburg but hadn’t heard of this shop when I was there a month ago (and won’t be back for years, unfortunately, it is a long way from Australia!)… off to check out the web shop though. Great feature!
    .-= Danielle´s last blog ..The world keeps spinning =-.

17. suprlipopette commented
    February 15th, 2010 at 11:55am

What a lovely place to go and shop !
    .-= suprlipopette´s last blog ..Chambre particulière pour enfant ordinaire ? =-.

18. Rachel commented
    February 19th, 2010 at 10:32am

What an adorable place. This feels like somewhere my dad would spend ours perusing.
    .-= Rachel´s last blog .." Grow old with me! The best is yet to be."-Robert Browning =-.