Round-ups

Chevron Inspiration

February 16, 2010

This is certainly no breaking news of a trend report or anything but I simply must call attention to the chevron pattern (also known as herringbone) that is still going big and bold in the world of interiors. I’m glad they’re not saturating the scene because the second something is everywhere I tend to get really, really bored and over it. But the bold, geometric zigzags aren’t in every single home out there yet so I feel safe sharing some inspiration. I don’t know… something about the pattern really has me feelin’ Springy today, in fact this morning I ordered some chevron prints designed by Paula Prass in yellow/white and black/white over at Volksfaden. Then I started to have a look around the web to see who else was digging chevrons still and here are some of my findings…

Chevron Inspiration

Sabbe’s cool DIY walls

Chevron Inspiration

Jess and her DIY chev-art over at Make Under My Life.

Chevron Inspiration

Made by Girl has a lovely black/white chev-rug.

Chevron Inspiration

And Made By Girl cards in her Etsy shop.

Chevron Inspiration

Linda & Harriett has cards too.

Chevron Inspiration

Feeling crafty? The orange and white chevron patterns handpainted by Leslie from A Creative Mint may inspire you! Painting the pattern in your favorite colors is relatively easy with a steady hand or a template (try a stencil). Frame them for instant art. You can paint your own chevron pattern on cotton rugs and pillows with fabric paint!

Chevron Inspiration

Madeline Weinrib’s organic blockprint fabric is available to the trade by yard or cheat and by her pillows instead!

Chevron Inspiration

Fabrics from Rubie Green

Chevron Inspiration

Paint the top of your desk in a zizag, complete instructions on the Sunset magazine website or paint your rug like Nick Olsen did.

Chevron Inspiration

The top left room is designed by Mary McDonald as seen in Domino magazine, the floors are painted in the best soft blue/white chevvy pattern ever. Here are some other Domino rooms with a little zagzag. The fabrics in yellow and black are from Volksfaden as mentioned earlier – I now own them and will soon do a little somethin’ somethin’ with these beauties.

Seems this pattern is best used on the floor, an accent wall, or as throw pillows or upholstery on a seat. I’d love to see a little chevron in the cabinets, as shelf liner, painted on a vintage soaking tub, or on the ceiling – oh my! And I must highlight, I think chevrons are more of a thing in America because I don’t see a ton of this pattern on this side of the pond in interiors magazines, stores, I don’t think it’s all that popular over here. Anyone in Europe have an opinion on this?

Not shown: More zigzag love with the chevron end table in the Sparrow’s Nest, chev-Queen card from Anne Chovie and gift tags from Every Jot and Tittle.

(images: linked to their sources above)

48 Comments

• Reply Stacey February 16, 2010 at 12:21 pm

I’ve been seeing chevrons everywhere on design blogs recently. Chevrons and turquoise seem to be the “it” things for 2010! I just won a couple chevron-patterned pillows in a giveaway, and they make a very nice contrast to my antique-y bedroom.

• Reply City Chic - Jamie February 16, 2010 at 12:33 pm

I totally want to paint a wall in my house like the first photo, I love it! We made a few ironing board covers in the exact fabrics that you have (yellow and black) and they were very popular. You’ll have to show us how you end up using these fabrics :)

• Reply Kim at EF eDesigns February 16, 2010 at 1:26 pm

We thought the same thing – see our post! http://efedesigns.wordpress.com/2010/01/08/trend-alert-chevron/
    .-= Kim at EF eDesigns´s last blog ..The Man Chair =-.

• Reply decor8 February 16, 2010 at 2:31 pm

Oh that’s too cute Kim! And thanks for referencing my blog in that post, that was very kind of you.

• Reply Decofabulous February 16, 2010 at 1:41 pm

I have been struggling with ideas for my bedroom headboard but this spiked my imagination. I can picture a herringbone painted wall in my future :) Thanks for the brilliant inspiration.
    .-= Decofabulous´s last blog ..Stephanie’s master bedroom =-.

• Reply Nuit February 16, 2010 at 1:48 pm

love love love it!!!!
    .-= Nuit´s last blog ..Some romantic decor…. here and there… =-.

• Reply Jess LC February 16, 2010 at 1:57 pm

Hi Holly! Thanks so much for featuring my chevron canvases! And stay tuned to my jewelry collection in April…. hint, hint.

• Reply Alex February 16, 2010 at 2:03 pm

Actually herringbone is a chevron print on a half-drop repeat. They arent the same thing!

• Reply decor8 February 16, 2010 at 2:30 pm

Alex that is so interesting, I thought the pattern was the same as that is what I learned years ago. I have to research what you’ve said, you have me thinking. Over here we have lots of homes with herringbone, called chevron and also French herringbone, hardwood floors. Now I need to investigate.

And how cool that you work at Target. May I ask what you do there? And will Target ever come to Europe? Please say you are working on that, or at least you are going to start shipping over here? Please please please!? :)

• Reply Asia February 16, 2010 at 2:06 pm

oooo, i love these, i’m seriously wanting a chevron rug for my dining room.
    .-= Asia´s last blog ..ok… back to work people =-.

• Reply Kajsa February 16, 2010 at 2:20 pm

Thanks for teaching me a new word, in Swedish chevron is called fish bone pattern. Love the black and white rug. And I wouldn’t mind a pair of wool chevron trousers this winter…
    .-= Kajsa´s last blog ..Some happy people live in concrete boxes =-.

• Reply decor8 February 16, 2010 at 2:26 pm

Awwww I hope so! Chevron TAKES Europe!!!

• Reply whorange February 16, 2010 at 2:23 pm

Holly, with this post, you will single-handedly ignite a chevron craze Europe. xoxo.

• Reply juliette February 16, 2010 at 2:39 pm

I, too, have not seen much of the chevron pattern in my corner of Germany. I feel like I might have seen something at H&M recently, but that’s it.

I really like the orderliness of the chevron pattern, bold and yet, controlled.
    .-= juliette´s last blog ..3 Cozy Ways to Counter Cabin Fever =-.

• Reply Morgan Bradshaw February 16, 2010 at 2:44 pm

i love love anything chevron right now! thanks for all the great ideas!
    .-= Morgan Bradshaw´s last blog ..DEO Warehouse =-.

• Reply Kim at EF eDesigns February 16, 2010 at 2:56 pm

Of course Holly – we’re big Decor8 fans here! Read your blog daily!
    .-= Kim at EF eDesigns´s last blog ..The Man Chair =-.

• Reply veronika February 16, 2010 at 3:16 pm

I wanted to say the same, the chevron in Czech is connected mainly with a pattern of hardwood floors but it also has the feeling of minimalism and art-deco. Maybe it is only my imagination, but chevron seems (rather feels) a very “restrictive” pattern (walls and traps) and maybe that’s why people are not so fond of it here, giving our past…:)
    .-= veronika´s last blog ..Ranní nelíbání =-.

• Reply Sparrow's Nest February 16, 2010 at 3:24 pm

Ahhh….thanks for letting me be included in this lovely list of chevron love! Quite an honor! I still love chevron as much now as ever!

• Reply City Chic - Jamie February 16, 2010 at 3:40 pm

That’s so funny you mention wanting Target to come to Europe, I was just having this conversation with my husband who works for Target. I told him if he ever gets a chance to help open a store in another country, he needs to get his name first on the list!
    .-= City Chic – Jamie´s last blog ..Jamaica =-.

• Reply julie February 16, 2010 at 5:38 pm

I LOVE Chevron patterns, I think it is catching on down here in Australia. There are some seriously gorgeous chevron calling cards on Etsy I have been eyeing for awhile now. I agree with you Holly, I get a little annoyed when something I like becomes too popular. So shhh! Let’s keep hush, hush about it ok :)
    .-= julie´s last blog ..wardrobe preview =-.

• Reply Melissa de la Fuente February 16, 2010 at 6:38 pm

oh! I love, love, love chevrons so much! And these are all so inspirational! I have been dying to paint a plain rug of mine with chevrons and what do you find? A tutorial for that! Thank you darling, thank you!
    xo
    Melis
    .-= Melissa de la Fuente´s last blog ..Cheap & Chic: inspired by a painting =-.

• Reply Justine February 16, 2010 at 7:47 pm

Chevron is definitely making a comeback and I’m so glad to see that! I saw the contact paper DIY some months ago and thought it was an awesome idea but thus far have nowhere to try it out! :(

• Reply Caroline February 16, 2010 at 9:56 pm

A lovely collection of inspiration! Thanks for this.
    .-= Caroline´s last blog ..Inaugural Glasses Posts: Oversized Frames =-.

• Reply Lori February 16, 2010 at 11:46 pm

I love the Chevron pattern and also the herringbone pattern. I love all these images! Thanks for sharing!
    .-= Lori´s last blog ..St. Augustine, Florida Trip =-.

• Reply shalini February 17, 2010 at 2:24 am

Love the look of all the photos…there’s something so modern yet homey about chevron patterns.

• Reply karen February 17, 2010 at 5:10 am

Holly, I think you are right about Chevron not beeing a popular here in Europe. I feel that general there arent´t as many strong graphical patterns to be seen here. I think it´s the same with the combination of egg blue and chocolate brown: Very pretty, very american!

In a way I am happey to find, that in times of globalisation, there still are differences in tastes around the world! That help keep traveling to other places (or to blogs) inspirational!

• Reply visualingual February 17, 2010 at 7:44 am

Chevrons are awesome, and I absolutely love the examples you chose!
    .-= visualingual´s last blog ..Flourishing: A New Line of Home Accessories by VisuaLingual =-.

• Reply Paula Prass February 17, 2010 at 8:46 am

I’m so honred that you purchased my chevron fabrics. I think it’s a feel good pattern that will be going strong for quite awhile!

• Reply Mary February 17, 2010 at 9:15 am

I absolutely love Chevron! How great to see that fun pattern work its magic in so many ways!
    .-= Mary´s last blog ..Bright Pink Brocade Flower Hair Comb =-.

• Reply christy February 17, 2010 at 1:35 pm

hi. wondering if you could share the name of the font used for the titles of the photos in cheveron ispiration. thank you.

• Reply decor8 February 17, 2010 at 2:12 pm

Christy it is called PEACH SUNDRESS. :)

• Reply Kate Collins February 17, 2010 at 2:49 pm

I love the Chevron print! I think I will try to paint this on a coffee table that it is big need of a makeover. Now I’ve just got to figure out paint colors. There is a picture of it on my latest blog post…
    kcinteriors.wordpress.com

• Reply Rosario February 17, 2010 at 5:11 pm

I love chevron!!! It’s been on my mind for some time as an inspiration but I know i realize is an upcoming trend!

• Reply Mindi February 17, 2010 at 10:56 pm

i love these pics, but must admit i’m very wary of fads. As much as I’d love to deck my house head to toe in chevron this weekend I think I would grow sick of it all too soon! It has got me wondering how this pattern could be used as the basis/ inspiration of other things that I could make/ style around the home… thanks!

• Reply Alisa: a pina colada February 18, 2010 at 3:27 am

I adore the Chevron pattern over at my blog too! You can tell right when you click on because I have it on my header…. What a great post! Love it!

• Reply Adventures in Dressmaking February 18, 2010 at 3:00 pm

I did a DIY zig zag rug, too! Here’s the direct link:
    .-= Adventures in Dressmaking´s last blog ..A frustrating pattern, a re-worked dress =-.

• Reply Eloise February 18, 2010 at 10:21 pm

I haven’t seen the pattern in Australia much either, mainly on America blogs. I do love it though, and discovered it on Ruby Green’s blog. I bought some of the Paula Prass fabric myself in pink and made it into a cute throw cushion, its great! Wonderful post!

• Reply becky from hatch February 19, 2010 at 9:01 pm

That Madeline Weinrib pattern has been on my radar for quite some time, and yet I have not tired of it (I’ve just come from your Paul Costello post, so you have me thinking about trends that hit the tipping point and went to West Elm to die) . I don’t think I ever will tire of it. Holly, I wound up using a slice of that same chevron I cut out of a magazine from a Madeline Weinrib ad in my homework for week 3. ;)

• Reply stephanie February 24, 2010 at 1:40 pm

I am a bit behind on my blog reading, but just wanted to say thank you for including my living room wall.

And, how cool are you that Paula Press commented on her own fabric!?

The whole comment conversation here is very interesting to me. I like hearing what is “American” and what is not. I had no idea the brown and blue combo was an American thing. I figured it was a European thing we just copied. Most new products people come and show us (in my office) are introduced with a “this has been very popular in Europe over the past few years”…and we all assume it must be the next big thing:)
    .-= stephanie´s last blog ..Blogging Break =-.

• Reply decor8 February 24, 2010 at 4:25 pm

Stephanie thank you for saying hello and as an aside, I’m really sorry about what happened to your little brother — my condolences.

• Reply justine March 1, 2010 at 4:58 pm

hello,
    I am not a blogger, I work producing “concepts” for restaurants and clubs in Spain. I am looking for inspiration every day and your blog is wonderful.
    I am asking if you could tell me what font you use to write on the photo of this post.

justine

(sorry for my aproximative english)

• Reply Antonella March 2, 2010 at 10:41 am

as an aside…
    the chevron is actually one of the most ancient pattern, originally a symbol of the Mother Goddess, worshipped as the Bearer of Life (in Stone Age/Copper Age times but also later).
    Not something merely decorative, but rather the expression of water, like a zig zag stream or a snake (eternal symbols of life and renewal)

Marija Gimbutas studied these symbols (just google her)

hugs from Italy
    Antonella

• Reply summerffa March 10, 2010 at 4:27 pm

I recall seeing on the designers on Design Star use a chevron pattern accent wall last season. I wonder if that’s what kicked off the new interest in chevron patterns?

• Reply Julie March 30, 2010 at 7:45 am

I have to say, that these interior pictures are very inspiring. The usage of pattern is so endless. We can use them on the walls, furniture or just to make some accessories much more interesting. It really depends on our taste. I like this idea to use the same pattern in different colours and hues in one room.

Julie

• Reply Deborah Milne April 7, 2010 at 8:06 pm

Love chevron & love this post. Fabulous job! Thank you ~ deb
    .-= Deborah Milne´s last blog ..the modernist marvel called Palm Springs part I =-.

• Reply Sarah Jane February 3, 2011 at 8:46 pm

WOW! What a great collection of chevron. I just love it. I only have it on my bedroom curtains so far…trying to control myself! But I am doing a DIY round up and would love to add this post if you don’t mind.

• Reply Jan Wright March 6, 2011 at 5:04 pm

Would love to get my hands on a tutorial on how to paint a chevron rug!

• Reply Elaine February 3, 2014 at 5:08 pm

I don’t remember seeing this trend in the UK when you were writing about it Holly but it seems to be everywhere at the moment. Really loving it.