Inspiration

Paul Costello Photography

February 17, 2010

We all go through phases from a Moorish design craze to a navy blue stripe obsession. It’s perfectly normal to be passionate for pink today and big on black tomorrow. Truth is, we’re all curious creatures and these phases keep our blood flowing — without them I personally would be bored stiff. In addition to phases, memories often guide me forward because with them, I have inspiration for new dreams to dreams and plans to plan.

Paul Costello Photography

This is why I love the work of so many great interior and still life photographers — their work shows me glimpses of these phases trapped in time from the past to the present and is why I’ll never tired of browsing their many online portfolios. Take Paul Costello for example, whose photos are shown below.

Paul Costello Photography

Breathtaking glimpses, right? They made me remember my foo dog phase, all the times that my mother told me stand up straight, my former love of faux Zebra rugs (I hold Domino magazine responsible for that phase), my vintage velvet boxy sofa obsession phase, the canopy bed I had to have a child, making out in an actual car (ha ha, that’s not something you tend to carry on for life!), and how much I loved that bedroom in Domino with the blue and white striped cotton rug. It also reminded me of a passion I once had that I’m considering picking up again — collecting vintage feminine mismatched china to use and display.

Paul Costello Photography

I invite you to visit Paul Costello’s portfolio online to see if you can find spot some memories and phases lurking in there for you, too. If so, mind sharing them with me? :)

(image: paul costello photography)

32 Comments

• Reply Laura Evans February 17, 2010 at 2:24 pm

that blue & white stripped rug … i want it! love the photos as well.
    .-= Laura Evans´s last blog ..may i take your picture – recycled notecards (set of 5) =-.

• Reply erinn February 17, 2010 at 2:26 pm

Domino introduced me to Paul Costello’s work and I will be forever grateful. One of my all time favorite house tours was the one you show above of the woman headed out of the door with her dog. I think she was a graphic designer. I am sure I still have the pages from the magazine in my collection.
    .-= erinn´s last blog ..my new favorite bag =-.

• Reply mina February 17, 2010 at 2:30 pm

Paul Costello is extremely talented and sensible. Love the interiors, these are great inspiration. Still life is hard but he nails it!
    .-= mina´s last blog ..Coney Island Carnivale – Fine Art Photography 8 x 8 – Ready to ship =-.

• Reply Jennifer February 17, 2010 at 2:36 pm

Great photos. I particularly like the legs and the car… brings back youthful romantic memories!

On a more boring note… Does anyone have a source for the hall light fixture in the photo where the woman is leaving through the front door? It would be perfect for a modern country house I’m working on.

• Reply Sarah Sarniak February 17, 2010 at 3:04 pm

Wow, these are really great. The first two pics are so pretty.
    .-= Sarah Sarniak´s last blog ..Major Budget Decorating =-.

• Reply laura trevey February 17, 2010 at 3:20 pm

Great shots… especially the “real life” action of the different people!
    .-= laura trevey´s last blog ..Giveaway – Beach Chairs Watercolor =-.

• Reply Catherine V February 17, 2010 at 3:31 pm

Canopies is something I’ll never outgrow … I think because I was deprived of having one on my bed as a child. Am still looking forward to that day. :)

• Reply Afi February 17, 2010 at 3:59 pm

Love them all! Amazing photos full of details…Now I have to go through his portfolio and look at them for hours! Thank you Holly! :)

PS. I still love those zebra rugs!! So safari!
    .-= Afi´s last blog ..One lazy afternoon =-.

• Reply decor8 February 17, 2010 at 5:25 pm

Deborah to see your comment on my blog really blows me away. Everyone that is THE Deborah Needleman who commented above!!! Wow, Deborah, thank you for stopping by. I miss your magazine — you can be proud of that fact I guess, that when Domino was no more it was not easily replaced or forgotten by your fans. That must mean a lot to you.

Thank you so much for saying hello. :)

• Reply deborah needleman February 17, 2010 at 4:04 pm

hi holly! so nice to see a group of paul’s pictures here. it makes me nostalgic for the domino days! it used to be so exciting to walk into the art department to find a big stack of his brilliant contact sheets after a shoot.

• Reply Elie's Papel February 17, 2010 at 4:46 pm

Love them… very cute and fun!
    .-= Elie’s Papel´s last blog ..Western Flowers =-.

• Reply Melissa de la Fuente February 17, 2010 at 4:47 pm

I love these…he is so incredibly talented. I definitely recognize the “making out in car” phase :) And I too, fell madly and deeply in love with that white & blue stripped rug/bedroom. * sigh*
    xo
    Melis
    .-= Melissa de la Fuente´s last blog ..Cheap & Chic: inspired by a painting =-.

• Reply Mausumi February 17, 2010 at 5:07 pm

These are great! I love the colors and the moments in time he creates!

My favorite is the one you featured here, the one with the car, the couple and the water bottle. Great!
    .-= Mausumi´s last blog ..Talula s/s 2010 =-.

• Reply the domestic fringe February 17, 2010 at 5:21 pm

Beautiful photos. I like so many for so many different reasons. I guess that’s what a good photographer does – evokes feelings from his photos.

-FringeGirl
    .-= the domestic fringe´s last blog ..Olympian Dashes World-Wide Dreams =-.

• Reply Golly B. February 17, 2010 at 5:36 pm

Wow! Such amazing interiors full of freshness and inspiration! Simply delightful.

• Reply Lee February 17, 2010 at 5:41 pm

Gorgeous photos! I sadly am still in the Foo Dog phase… I don’t have a pair yet!

• Reply kristen miller February 17, 2010 at 5:44 pm

i agree with you Holly. We need phases. Phases help us look at an every day thing, and see it anew. Isn’t it great that we can use something so mundane like a place setting, forks, knives, plates… and a photo can capture it in a way that we have never seen it before. the light, the crop, the photographers eye makes it new and beautiful. If it sticks with you, you can’t help but give your plates and forks a second look. It’s always so surprising.

• Reply Sarah February 17, 2010 at 8:42 pm

Swoon….how I loved Domino…I remembered that issue so clearly and I love the rug in that space.
    .-= Sarah´s last blog ..Scrapbooker’s Paradise =-.

• Reply amy February 17, 2010 at 9:04 pm

Ahhhh I can’t keep up with all the goodness on your blog :) You post so much inspiring stuff!
    .-= amy´s last blog ..30 weeks =-.

• Reply Marissa February 17, 2010 at 9:06 pm

I love that you had a foo dog phase! There are some fantastic foo dogs in the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston that I have to visit every time I go!

• Reply Diana February 17, 2010 at 9:16 pm

I really enjoy these pics! They are so inspirational, but they make me miss summer that much more :)
    .-= Diana´s last blog ..Gift Giving Inspiration =-.

• Reply Katie Ukrop February 17, 2010 at 9:32 pm

I was so excited to see my daughters on your blog today. It was such a treat to work with Paul! Oh how we all miss domino… Love your blog!

• Reply Terri Conrad February 17, 2010 at 9:45 pm

delicious color! love all the eye candy & resources decor8 shares.

merci
    .-= Terri Conrad´s last blog ..Charmed, Enchante, It’s a Pleasure . . . =-.

• Reply heidi February 17, 2010 at 9:54 pm

love love your blog, coffee would not be the same without it in my morning routine. thanks

• Reply nichole February 17, 2010 at 11:08 pm

I’d be a total bore without phases!

I was just talking to my mom about this over the weekend. She feels sad when she parts ways with some decor idea or color scheme. She’s stressed by the idea of starting over. I’m the opposite: it’s energizing.
    .-= nichole´s last blog ..Lazy + Sated =-.

• Reply nkp February 17, 2010 at 11:31 pm

He really is the best of the best. The way in which he manages to capture the light, and play with the mood, and tell an evocative story. That is real talent. These are all beautiful examples. Makes me pine for Domino all the more. And eek, D-E-B-O-R-A-H N-E-E-D-L-E-M-A-N!
    .-= nkp´s last blog ..You’re gonna love her. =-.

• Reply Jules @ Lovely Las Vegas February 18, 2010 at 2:41 am

These are wonderful images… such a great variety… all eyecandy.

• Reply Penny Patten February 18, 2010 at 9:09 am

I love the two people in the car! Paul does nice work.
    .-= Penny Patten´s last blog ..Life’s Simple Pleasures =-.

• Reply Ivana February 18, 2010 at 11:30 am

Luv the girl balancing the books on her head : )
    .-= Ivana´s last blog ..hair =-.

• Reply becky from hatch February 19, 2010 at 8:44 pm

Love the photography! That Ione Skye home decorated by David Netto still influences my style today – I pull that issue of Domino out all the time for inspiration!

• Reply becky from hatch February 19, 2010 at 8:50 pm

Oh, P.S. I went through a HUGE Shabby Chic phase, which is over now!

I knew I never wanted to see a Foo Dog again when I saw a hideous pillow with a foo dog PRINTED ON IT at West Elm – it is the perfect example of how when West Elm tries to grab onto and exploit a trend it bungles it but good. I never could stand the zebra rugs, esp. now, because they remind me of Eddie Ross, who I still can’t stand from his behavior on Top Design. Zebra rugs and a bunch of old lady clutter like soup tureens and gravy boats are his two main design moves.

Speaking of zebras, a zebra escaped the circus transport and was running around the interstate in Atlanta yesterday. Just another day in Georgia…

• Reply colleen February 21, 2010 at 11:08 pm

The striped blue rug room! All the pics from that shoot are in my book of mag. pages I pull out that make up my favorites. It was awesome and I remember it out of many pages in several binders of favorites! Thanks!