Screen Printing On Ceramics – Ideas?

Will someone please invite me to a party with cupcakes served on the most beautiful vintage china ever? I found this image taken by stylist/designer Lula Aldunate (aka Lulaland) in New York and simply must share! What a visual treat this is.

Tea and cake please! Which reminds me, I really need to start working on my china collection again. Can you believe I sold all of my mismatched china a few years ago at a tag sale? I could kick myself. Have you ever done something like this? Sold an item/s only to regret it later? It’s not what I do as a habit, I’m quite particular about what I let go of, but at the time I sold my china because I felt like I had way too much in my house and it overwhelmed me. Clients were giving me everything that they no longer needed and between that and my own “stuff” well… it felt a bit insane to have so much. I felt like I was being selfish to have so many things that I was not using regularly.

I’ve now decided to start my china collection once again, only this time I’m keeping it and cherishing it forever. The photo above inspires me as to why I should, how beautiful. Though I wouldn’t mind learning how to screenprint on china like Nina does. Maybe I can ask someone to teach me. It would be fun to buy beautiful vintage china and then personalize it a bit in a fresh, modern way as so many great designers out there are doing right now. Of course mine would not be for sale but it would be nice to make my flea market finds more bespoke.

Do you know how to print in color on plates so that they can also be used for eating rather than only display?

(image: Lula Aldunate)

Posted by decor8 in ceramics on February 18, 2010

1. Clare Farthing commented
    February 18th, 2010 at 8:13am

Simply delicious colours and designs!

2. craftomania tools commented
    February 18th, 2010 at 8:14am

I have regrets not buing something I love… theis is a beautiful colection of mismatched china.
    .-= craftomania tools´s last blog ..Free give-away Campaign! Win the "Sylvan lace ring" by NuritDesign.. =-.

3. enna commented
    February 18th, 2010 at 8:22am

Hi Holly! I don’t know exactly how it’s done, but I would assume, that the designs are printed onto some sort of paper or transfer material with a special ceramic ink, then dried and applied to the piece ceramic like a decal and burnt in to be permanent. I’ve tried to find out about it before, but couldn’t find much information either – especially about supplies available in Germany.
    Ths link could help, though: http://www.nehoc.com.au/info/ceramics/index.htm

4. enna commented
    February 18th, 2010 at 8:22am
  5. Jessica commented
    February 18th, 2010 at 8:33am

I, too, am very interested in screenprinting on old plates (for eating). I hope somebody out there has suggestions!

6. Beth commented
    February 18th, 2010 at 8:40am

These flowered dishes are very pretty! I have gotten rid of lots of stuff over the years. Occasionally, I’ll miss something. But there is always so much more to buy! :]
    .-= Beth´s last blog ..Love is in the air ~ Happy Valentine’s Day! =-.

7. Danielle Mongin commented
    February 18th, 2010 at 8:44am

Simple designs may be painted on the backs of clear plates….and then hand washed. The art store will carry paints that can be baked on in your own oven at home. It works when all the directions are followed. Thank You for having a cheerful heart! It helps me so often!

8. Bird-in-Hand, Laurie commented
    February 18th, 2010 at 8:58am

Incredibly lovely as well as economical. Orphan pieces can be easily gleaned at fleas and tag sales. I feel a Garden Party coming on! Hurry spring!

9. ishtar commented
    February 18th, 2010 at 8:58am

oh, SO lovely!I love how they are mismatched! a beautiful china-collage!
    .-= ishtar´s last blog ..I heart bokeh! =-.

10. decor8 commented
    February 18th, 2010 at 9:02am

Danielle thank you for your comment, I know that technique as my mother taught me that one as a child using clear plates. What I’m looking to do is screenprint designs that I make onto the front of china – plates mostly. I hope someone can give me some ideas as to how this works!

11. Golly B. commented
    February 18th, 2010 at 9:06am

Such lovely pictures! To answer your question – I’m not sure, I’ve always wanted to try this myself as one can never have enough plate service! There is probably a food safe ink. You can also make digital transfers of any images. I think the transfer paper must use vitrifying ink and then fired again in a kiln. Check out this link: http://skinnylaminx.com/2008/06/10/ceramics-transfers-tutorial/

12. Jesse commented
    February 18th, 2010 at 9:19am

Yep, that’s right, it’s usually screen printing with vitrifying ink; the transfers are stuck to the ceramic surface, and then it’s all fired in a kiln. I’ve heard of transfer sheets that you can print digitally, but don’t know much about them. I use a screen printing company for mine (they’re in Cape Town, will ship all over the world, but have a fairly high minimum amount that they’ll print). Have a look where you live for companies that do personalised mugs and corporate gifts – they’ll be able to help.
    .-= Jesse´s last blog ..My Crafty Heart =-.

13. Erin commented
    February 18th, 2010 at 9:31am

Oh my, not another thing I need to learn how to do and fall in love with! The link from Golly B seemed very reasonable – these would make such wonderful and unique gifts as well. Thank you for the information!
    .-= Erin´s last blog ..Free Banner and Avi Set for Etsy =-.

14. Lucila Zahran Turqueto commented
    February 18th, 2010 at 10:10am

UAU! I loved the combination. Congrats for the post. Rgards from Brazil, Lucila

15. Sarah Sarniak commented
    February 18th, 2010 at 10:53am

I wish I knew how, that would be really cool to print on ceramic and be able to use is. Those plates in the pic are so pretty!
    .-= Sarah Sarniak´s last blog ..Major Budget Decorating =-.

16. Patricia commented
    February 18th, 2010 at 10:56am

Funny, I just posted something on Karin’s style blog a few days ago about that! She replied with this link: http://whipup.net/2006/04/17/are-they-tattoos/ I think the most useful part is this:
    “To make a screen print, one needs an original image. The image is transferred over to light sensitive film and applied on to the mesh of a screen. Engobe colours mixed with a (preferably) water based medium are pressed through the screen and onto a print paper. When the print is dry, a cover coat is printed on top of it.After the cover coat has dried, the print is dipped in water and soon the cover coat will lift the print off the paper and it can be applied to the ceramic surface. The goods are fired up to around 800 degrees C.”
    Sounds simple enough if you know someone with the equipment and can show you how it’s done!
    On an unrelated note, I see you use the expression “Voila!” often, but I thought you might want to know that you are inverting the i and o. Or maybe you are doing it on purpose to be cute, I don’t know! :)

17. Karen Cheung commented
    February 18th, 2010 at 10:56am

I studied illustration at one of the places that pioneered non-toxic, solvent-free screenprinting of decals for ceramics. You use special inks that you print like regular screenprinting onto some special ceramic decal paper. The design is cut out and transferred using water onto your ceramic piece (already glazed), which is then fired in a kiln to set the design. My friend did some splendid little cucumber slices on the saucer of a teacup along with other teatime inspired prints on teapots etc.

For the home, I haven’t tried the decal paper you can buy. There are two types – one, for inkjet printers, produces transfers that can’t be washed, so can’t be used. If you get the paper for laser printer/photocopier, this can be used and washed. As far as I can tell, you need a laser printer or photocopier (so not water-based inks), a laminator and a regular oven. Here is one in the UK that produces dishwasher-safe results:

I have been wanting to try this for ages. I’ve only got as far as hand-drawn designs on crockery, which you can see in my very out-of-date etsy shop here:

Google ceramic decals for laser printer
    .-= Karen Cheung´s last blog ..today… =-.

18. Shay commented
    February 18th, 2010 at 11:00am

The mix and match really brings it to a modern/current style. So fun and not stuffy.
    Holly, your living in Germany…where all the best china in the world comes from..lucky you..Look for Bavarian, it is gorgeous.I think good antique china is still WAY under valued in the states. I often find complete beautiful vintage sets for under $50 bucks.One of my major loves and collections.
    Happy hunting,
    Shay

19. Shanon commented
    February 18th, 2010 at 11:08am

Ever since I was young, I’ve always wanted to collect saucers and teacups. I’ve never done it though. Maybe I should? They seem to me like little party dresses. And how happy would that make you to look at them? Or to give them out as favors during a bridal shower?
    .-= Shanon´s last blog ..What’s under that snow?! =-.

20. Carol Emma commented
    February 18th, 2010 at 12:40pm

This is so lovely! It makes me believe that spring will come again :-)

21. Marissa commented
    February 18th, 2010 at 12:49pm

I’m so glad you asked about printing on plates, ever since I’ve seen some of those on ETSY I’ve been wanting to figure it out. I love the whole old thrift store china with modern drawings on top look
    .-= Marissa´s last blog ..Blogging Tips: Link Referral Bar =-.

22. Lisa commented
    February 18th, 2010 at 3:11pm

So glad that others have answered the “how-to” question (I was very interested in the answer). I do adore the way those vintage plates with printed images look.

I love the look of mismatched china – a friend of mine sets her table with State plates – very fun and slightly kitschy.
    .-= Lisa´s last blog ..Here’s the Plan…. =-.

23. MichelleP commented
    February 18th, 2010 at 3:38pm

I’ve looked into this before, but haven’t tried it yet. It seems like the easiest way to do it & have the image be durable, is to use a waterslide decal, & then have it fired in a kiln. You can find waterslide decal paper for laser or inkjet printers online. Then the challenge is finding a place that will fire them for you, maybe a small pottery studio or school?

Here’s a video of the decal process:
    .-= MichelleP´s last blog ..YO Mama’s on Etsy =-.

24. MEW commented
    February 18th, 2010 at 7:03pm

You can use a goco screen to print, I use china paint, but it has to be fired. Maybe you could use the craft-bake paint? Thicken any paint with CMC gum before printing.

25. Hannah commented
    February 18th, 2010 at 7:07pm

I know exactly how you feel about getting rid of something and later regretting it. Several years ago when I was doing my final move-out of my parents’ house after graduating from college, I decided that my vintage typewriter was too bulky and impractical for the globetrotting life I envisioned, so I donated it to a local charity thrift store. It was beautiful and light teal and worked well- I am still kicking myself for that one!
    .-= Hannah´s last blog ..Happenings… =-.

26. designermarkt.blogspot.com commented
    February 18th, 2010 at 7:44pm

Hello Holly,
    try it with “Avery-Zweckform-Keramikfolie”, 2 sheets (DIN A4) for 9,40 €
    .-= designermarkt.blogspot.com´s last blog ..Flyer Designermarkt =-.

27. Kelly commented
    February 19th, 2010 at 12:43am
  28. Frau Mayer commented
    February 19th, 2010 at 4:25am

The collection is adorable! Now it makes me regret I didn’t pick up that beautiful white cup in the Trödelshop next to my place the other day. Guess I’ll be checking on it soon! Thanks, Holly, for a wonderful source of inspiration (as usual :)
    .-= Frau Mayer´s last blog ..Inspiration in the tub =-.

29. Sanja commented
    February 19th, 2010 at 5:12am

I have been buying products from this company forever and only have praise for them. It is German, so maybe you could start from their site http://www.marabu-creative.com/. Good luck!

30. Kim commented
    February 20th, 2010 at 3:16pm

I just found this interview of the woman (Debba Haupert) who wrote the book, “The New Book of Image Tranfer: How to Add Any Image to Almost Anything with Fabulous Results”

Kim

31. Danielle@LiveLikeYou commented
    February 20th, 2010 at 4:25pm

Okay, my two obsessions…tea and pottery! I hand build and am always looking for new techniques in glazing and this is one I would love to know how to do, so thank you for the useful info!
    .-= Danielle@LiveLikeYou´s last blog ..Summer house =-.

32. kamila commented
    February 22nd, 2010 at 12:37pm

Lovely post (as always).
    Certainly I have deeply regretted giving away/selling certain items in my life. One that comes to mind is a bright orange taboret full of art supplies that I thought I would not ever use again. I always have to come back to trusting in the natural balance of life. That keeps me from crying my eyes out :)

And here is a link to a screen printing ink for ceramics. It may only be available in Australia: http://www.nehoc.com.au/info/ceramics/ but may be of help to you.

Good luck!

33. Alice commented
    March 10th, 2010 at 9:30pm

Hi,

I just read this post and I hope it isn’t too late. I, too, am interested in screen printing on ceramic pieces and I’m doing a bit of research myself. I found a site that might be helpful: http://ceramicartsdaily.org/clay-tools/decorating-tools/from-flat-to-round-screen-printing-glaze-patterns-onto-pottery/ which talks about using glaze on your ceramic piece. You could also try looking up information about screen printing with underglaze transfers. I don’t have any sites on it, but I hope that helps!

34. Terrance commented
    May 5th, 2010 at 11:12pm

I wonder if anyone has tried the Chinese transfer images. They are printed on a rice paper and all one has to do is to place the image face down on the surface of the ceramic greenware or bisque and then moisten it a few times. One then peels away the paper and the image remains.

It is like the water transfers we used when we were kids to give us a temporary water base tatoo.

35. Varinder commented
    June 5th, 2010 at 2:21am

OMG… this image of china collection is so nice… i wish to have one like that soon. :)

36. Gabrielle commented
    July 31st, 2010 at 8:00pm

My husband just gave me a budget for new place settings! After shopping around I am so excited to just design our own. There are endless options for beauty and awesomeness when you customize things. :)

37. Jared commented
    November 9th, 2010 at 2:54pm

You could even look at Digital custom printing?

38. Innovative Ink commented
    February 1st, 2011 at 7:04pm

wow….the industry sure has gone a long way….alsome post
    Innovative Ink´s last blog post ..Production Facility

39. Dave T commented
    April 24th, 2011 at 4:39pm

Absolutely beautiful – no idea how it’s done but those plates look so good you could eat your dinner off them! I wrote an article to introduce people to the pros and cons of screen printing but it’s mainly focused towards t-shirt printing than fancy stuff like this.
    Dave T´s last blog post ..An Introduction to Screen Printing

40. alice commented
    April 15th, 2013 at 8:36am

@Jessica: @Jessica:
    If you like to do the printing yourself,maybe you will love our laser ceramic printing. The resolution is 2400*2400dpi. The effect is 256 gray-scale. If you like,please contact me.