Creative Collaboration in Denmark

I just love stories of successful collaborations between creatives — it’s really special and I hope to someday enter a relationship with someone in which I can share a workspace with too. There is something so energizing about working with another whom you get along with well and can talk to throughout the day, bouncing ideas off of one another in addition to sharing work and dividing tasks so that all of the work doesn’t fall on one person. With this in mind, are you ready to see a lovely glimpse into the world of Sidsel Gaustadnes and Line Juhl Hansen who are both artists, bloggers, friends and creative ladies in Denmark?

Creative Collaboration in Denmark

These ladies share a studio (two different companies, same space and coffee machine!) and if you read Boligliv magazine, you may have already peeked in on them as they have a lovely spread in the March 2010 issue. Thing is, it’s in Danish and I thought it may be nice to share some highlights of the article in English so Sidsel has quoted a few bits from it to share with you today. I also have photos that both Sidsel and Line sent in to share first with decor8 readers of their home and workspace, so please pause for a moment to enjoy these inspiring spaces today — such a nice start to a new week!

Creative Collaboration in Denmark

“The name of the street is translated to Lovers Lane – but I prefer Pathway of love – since it expresses our working paths better. The street is a hidden pathway with no cars allowed,” says Sidsel. Ooh isn’t this charming?

Here are some highlights from the magazine only in English…

“In the heart of Aarhus, a short distance from the harbour and the heavily-trafficked approach roads, a small oasis of charm and character lies hidden. Surrounded by old mews and apartment blocks are old industrial buildings and workshops… this place is called “Kærlighedsstien”, and for a couple of hundred metres it is reminiscent of a calm breath of air in the middle of the city traffic. In No. 7, the artist and architect Line Juhl Hansen and graphic designer Sidsel Gaustadnes have their base in one of the old workshops – Line with her paintings and Sidsel with her graphic design company., Spagat.”

“Line has worked as an established painter for a number of years and is represented in some of the country’s leading galleries. With her delicate sense for graphic design, Sidsel has created graphic identities for companies for several years. When art meets design a really special vibe emerges, a vibe the two women invoke in both individual and shared projects.”

Creative Collaboration in Denmark

Creative Collaboration in Denmark

Creative Collaboration in Denmark

Creative Collaboration in Denmark

“Not far from the studio lies the 80-square-metre apartment with three rooms that is the home of Line, her boyfriend Jonas and children Vigga and Sofus. The small space only leaves room for objects and furniture that serve a practical purpose. It has been of crucial importance for Line and her family to be surrounded by city life. The family does have a summer house, however, which they use a lot both during summer and winter when they need to take deep breaths of fresh air and the kids need to roam more freely. Line and Jonas are both architects by trade and they both have a handyman gene – which is good because when you have two children in an apartment with three rooms it tests your skills at interior decoration.” You can see more about painter Line Juhl Hansen here.

Creative Collaboration in Denmark

Creative Collaboration in Denmark

Creative Collaboration in Denmark

“Graphic designer Sidsel Gaustadnes lives with her husband, Klaus, and their daughter, Nanna, in a 138-square-meter, four-room apartment in the center of Aarhus. The flat has big bright windows, tall ceilings, lye-treated wooden floors and the first impression is one of purity and light. On the walls are paintings by, among others, her colleague Line Juhl Hansen. You can feel that great emphasis is put on the fact that the home is the base for a family. There is space just to be – and you want to spend time in the rooms.” You can see more of Sidsel Gaustadnes’ design here.

For the full article (this was only a partial take) and beautiful views from the magazine pick up a copy of BoligLiv if you are able. If not, this will hopefully lead you over to the BoligLiv website along with those of Sidsel and Line, to find more inspiration today.

Sidsel’s website + blog

Line’s website + blog

Thank you so much ladies for allowing decor8 readers into your fantastic spaces today!

P.S. Tomorrow I’ll share with you another collaboration between two amazing designers who happen to live in my neighborhood… Stay tuned for that!

(photos: Hanna Stroyer)

Posted by decor8 in Arts + Crafts, workspace on February 22, 2010

1. ishtar commented
    February 22nd, 2010 at 7:35am

WOW!! thank you for this post Holly! So beautiful story and inspiring images!!
    This is one of the reasons why I love your blog!!
    .-= ishtar´s last blog ..Aloha! =-.

2. das. commented
    February 22nd, 2010 at 7:41am

Very nice studio….bright and warm..THanks for sharing
    .-= das.´s last blog ..Vintage Blue and Red Big Strip cotton Tote (Thick) =-.

3. Ilaria commented
    February 22nd, 2010 at 7:46am

Very inspiring!! Love it ?!

4. Paige commented
    February 22nd, 2010 at 7:47am

Wow! I just love this post. A fellow blogger-designer-artist friend and I always fantasize about sharing studio space one day — what an inspiration this is! Thanks, Holly!
    .-= Paige´s last blog ..Fretwork Tray Table =-.

5. tiina commented
    February 22nd, 2010 at 7:51am

I am so inspired by this post, Holly. I’m always looking for ideas to make my own space more creative and fresh. So lovely. I think I will steal a few ideas to use in my own home. (BTW, that kitchen table is gorgeous!)
    .-= tiina´s last blog ..{ red slaw and ham } =-.

6. ana commented
    February 22nd, 2010 at 7:51am

gorgeous places indeed. the houses and the work space… the incredible light
    .-= ana´s last blog ..lambswool multicolor neckwarmer / cowl with 2 pompom =-.

7. Kajsa commented
    February 22nd, 2010 at 7:52am

Beautiful, beautiful pictures! Love Line’s art!! I hope to find someone to share a studio with too someday soon!
    .-= Kajsa´s last blog ..Tadadaaa! =-.

8. bloesem commented
    February 22nd, 2010 at 7:53am

Thanks you so much Holly for showing these images, I have had the pleasure once of meeting Sidsel here in Kuala Lumpur and I can only say she has such a beautiful, warm and gentle personality! A truly lovely Lady!
    irene xoxo
    .-= bloesem´s last blog ..Stephanie Rammeloo’s amazing home in Amsterdam =-.

9. vineeta commented
    February 22nd, 2010 at 8:10am

Oh thank you for showing us this special creatively charging partnership. I loved their space & how each inspires the other just by working next to each other. It is special and rare. (I myself have just moved into my brand new office with a friend who is a writer. We were colleagues, but now she does her work & I do mine- its just that we are sharing office space & we can do it because we are SO comfortable with each other. I see it as a gift.)
    Its such an added bonus to see their homes as well- lovely aesthetic!
    .-= vineeta´s last blog ..Nachana Haveli, Jaisalmer =-.

10. sandra commented
    February 22nd, 2010 at 8:14am

I’ll definitely get a copy of the magazine!
    .-= sandra´s last blog ..Weekend =-.

11. Smila commented
    February 22nd, 2010 at 8:15am

I love those pictures. All the white in the rooms, very clean and friendly whith enough colorful things around to make it look happy. I love it.
    .-= Smila´s last blog ..I couldn´t resist! =-.

12. Tricia McKellar commented
    February 22nd, 2010 at 8:35am

So beautiful! I love Line’s paintings! So energetic bold fresh. I especially like her use of black. Wonderful….
    .-= Tricia McKellar´s last blog ..polaroids: day trip to the beach =-.

13. Caro-lines-images commented
    February 22nd, 2010 at 8:42am

Great inspiration on another snowy Monday in Sweden!
    .-= Caro-lines-images´s last blog ..ArtHeart =-.

14. Valentina commented
    February 22nd, 2010 at 8:47am

wow, a lot of brightness in these photos!
    .-= Valentina´s last blog ..baptiste debombourg =-.

15. Boston Mamas commented
    February 22nd, 2010 at 8:47am

GORGEOUS. Paige (from http://mudroomboston.com/) and seriously want to do this. We’ve been talking about it for a while. Such an inspiration. -Christine
    .-= Boston Mamas´s last blog ..Fancy Yet Easy Mini Crab Cakes =-.

16. Siobhán commented
    February 22nd, 2010 at 8:57am

Absolutely beautiful – so inspiring!

17. Chantal commented
    February 22nd, 2010 at 9:05am

I find it amazing that these 2 families live and function in such a small living space! They’ve really pared down to bare essentials yet still manage to make their homes look inviting and warm. I especially love their studio & I’d love to find someone to work with like that. Not necessarily in the same field but just complementary to each other. Thx for this Holly!

18. decor8 commented
    February 22nd, 2010 at 9:09am

Hi Chantal — Just to clarify — Line lives with her boyfriend and two children in their own apartment, Sidsel lives with her husband and daughter in another apartment, and then they work each day in a studio space in a town nearby.

19. cecilie commented
    February 22nd, 2010 at 9:15am

Ååååååå <3

*Stum av beundring*
    .-= cecilie´s last blog ..Konfirmasjon =-.

20. Laura Gaskill commented
    February 22nd, 2010 at 9:19am

Oh my, oh my, oh my! I am floored! I am always inspired by creative studio spaces, but Line & Sidsel”s style both at work and at home really speaks to me – and Line’s artwork is drop-dead gorgeous! Thank you so much for sharing this space with us :)
    .-= Laura Gaskill´s last blog ..Sweet Obsessions Friday =-.

21. Ana commented
    February 22nd, 2010 at 9:20am

This is great! Tough I was born and live in Portugal, Aarhus has a very special place in my heart, as it is the place where some very good friends of mine live and also where I sometimes fly to work.
    I’l have to take a look at this next time I’m there!
    .-= Ana´s last blog ..Blogging Your Way e-course – Week 3 =-.

22. Christina commented
    February 22nd, 2010 at 9:24am

Thanx for sharing Holly! I really love the colours in these two flats! looking forward to tomorrows’ post :)

23. Julia commented
    February 22nd, 2010 at 9:30am

The pictures are lovely! I think it boosts your creativity even more if you’re able to work with someone like this. Independently, but with some company! I’d love to be able to share an atelier with a friend/colleague in the future…
    .-= Julia´s last blog ..Weekend! =-.

24. Livi commented
    February 22nd, 2010 at 9:32am

i looove all the colors in these photos!

25. Melissa de la Fuente commented
    February 22nd, 2010 at 10:08am

Absolutley gorgeous….wow. What a lovely collaborative space & their homes are beautiful. I love how their children are clearly worked into all of their space & the brightness, warmth and color are gorgeous. Thank you so much for sharing this with us Holly! Lovely…
    xo
    Melis
    .-= Melissa de la Fuente´s last blog ..Monday: inspired by a photograph =-.

26. sarah commented
    February 22nd, 2010 at 10:13am

line’s home is so beautiful!!!!!!! love love love. thank you for sharing!!!

27. Patricia commented
    February 22nd, 2010 at 11:32am

Love, love, LOVE Scandanavian real-life interiors – so inspiring! Thanks for posting this!

28. amy psaila commented
    February 22nd, 2010 at 11:40am

everything is so lovely! i’m particularly crushing on that couch in the living room photo! where’s it from??? if anyone knows, i’d be thrilled to hear of any tips on where i could shop for one.

29. raquel raney commented
    February 22nd, 2010 at 11:40am

So incredible. Truly inspired.
    .-= raquel raney´s last blog ..seesaw vintage. =-.

30. leslie commented
    February 22nd, 2010 at 11:58am

Wow Holly, such a wonderful post to start my week off on a productive foot!!! Their studio is like a dream come true! I also like how their homes are uncluttered and everything in them seems to have meaning -something to aspire towards… creative clarity in your home life and your work life.
    .-= leslie´s last blog ..Happy… =-.

31. Sarah Sarniak commented
    February 22nd, 2010 at 1:03pm

I’m so jealous of their studio, so pretty!
    .-= Sarah Sarniak´s last blog ..Major Budget Decorating =-.

32. ninainvorm commented
    February 22nd, 2010 at 1:25pm

Oh, both their homes and studios share such happy vibes! I was just doing this blog post about my yearning for spring, and here it is, the perfect spring feeling… Love those colors, the brightness, the creativity! I already knew Sidsel, but am happy to learn about Line and their collaboration as well!

33. Kali commented
    February 22nd, 2010 at 2:34pm

I love seeing where artists work. Very inspirational!
    .-= Kali´s last blog ..Sweets =-.

34. soul pretty commented
    February 22nd, 2010 at 4:53pm

Thank you, thank you, thank you…today was a very dreary day in NYC and this post just brightened my day and lifted my mood…I adore seeing how other creatives live…
    .-= soul pretty´s last blog ..Purple Rain… =-.

35. Mausumi commented
    February 22nd, 2010 at 5:08pm

So inspiring! I’m dreaming of working in such a stimulating environment too!
    .-= Mausumi´s last blog ..Flickr Favorites =-.

36. Karla commented
    February 22nd, 2010 at 5:18pm

Beautiful springlike spaces!! Thank you for this post- it was a much needed breath of fresh air in this winter blah time!!

37. Kris commented
    February 22nd, 2010 at 5:18pm

Thank you for this beautiful inspiration! I LOVE color, but seeing how they use white so consistantly with bursts of bright vibrant color makes me want to paint all my walls white. There is something about the fresh, crisp contrast of color against white that calls to me :)

38. Jane Flanagan commented
    February 22nd, 2010 at 6:10pm

I find women collaborating in this way so inspiring. Thanks so much for sharing this amazing space and story!
    .-= Jane Flanagan´s last blog ..Industrial and feminine =-.

39. Shana commented
    February 22nd, 2010 at 9:39pm

So impressive… and such inspiring… !! hope I will have my own studio with my best friend… just like that… LOVE IT… !!

40. Kaili commented
    February 22nd, 2010 at 10:16pm

Wow, I really loved looking into their homes and studio. Their aesthetic is just gorgeous! And I really really love Line’s paintings, they are so vibrant and joyful!
    .-= Kaili´s last blog ..Cravings =-.

41. Jessica commented
    February 22nd, 2010 at 11:20pm

Yummy. Dreamy. Truly, I have always envisioned working in a white studio with wonderful art around, a co-worker and we are creating together. I just haven’t figured out the who or the what yet but it’s nice and encouraging to see someone has!
    .-= Jessica´s last blog ..Etsy Shop Update =-.

42. jennifer ramos commented
    February 23rd, 2010 at 12:00am

Oh so glad you blogged about them! Line sent me a gorgeous postcard pack of her work awhile back….I still have them. She’s super nice – love her office space of course! :)))))
    .-= jennifer ramos´s last blog ..Reader’s – Dream Kitchen in Malaysia… =-.

43. theaxx commented
    February 23rd, 2010 at 12:43am

So inspired by this colour palette want to change me entire home!!!!!!!!!!

44. Ivana commented
    February 23rd, 2010 at 6:52am

It’s been a while since I’ve felt this inspired by just looking at someone’s creative and personal space… Thank you so much for this treasure!
    .-= Ivana´s last blog ..blocking =-.

45. Annie commented
    February 23rd, 2010 at 1:28pm

Fab! Thanks ever so much for sharing – what a wonderful space, and such talented women – love it!
    .-= Annie´s last blog ..What font are you? =-.

46. Morgan Bradshaw commented
    February 23rd, 2010 at 2:39pm

wow i love their style its so gorgeous!
    .-= Morgan Bradshaw´s last blog ..Spring Flowers =-.

47. richele commented
    February 23rd, 2010 at 6:44pm

that artwork is Rockin my world right now!
    .-= richele´s last blog .. =-.

48. Traveling Mama commented
    February 25th, 2010 at 7:33pm

Yes, but don’t they want to move to Copenhagen? :-)
    .-= Traveling Mama´s last blog ..birthdays {rock} =-.

49. Gosia Maj commented
    February 26th, 2010 at 11:05am

What an admirable relationship these ladies have. The picture with the alley where they have their studio, is the pic I cannot stop looking at. Simply a perfect environment for the creativity of both of them.
    .-= Gosia Maj´s last blog ..Picture a Day: Hooked =-.

50. sunny commented
    March 2nd, 2010 at 12:22pm

Beautiful places. This makes me want so much more to visit stylish Denmark!!
    .-= sunny´s last blog ..sidsel + line (denmark homes) =-.

51. tina risager commented
    May 6th, 2010 at 12:41am

Hi everyone.
    What a great view into two very creative ladies lives. The photos are wonderful, and hopefully soon I will get to see the studio in real life.
    Wonderfull.