Etsy Faves

Etsy Take Five Tuesday

February 23, 2010

I’m dashing out, so I need to post today’s Etsy Take Five Tuesday rather quickly. But first, are you doing well today? I hope so. I’ve been trying to coordinate a bunch of things and have a lot on my plate right now but I’m happy to report that all is well and though I’ve still not found a suitable dwelling in which to “settle” into, I’m still working on it! House hunting, or in this case, apartment hunting, is super draining so one thing I’ve been trying to do is to not get into a pattern of negative thinking although it’s hard — but I’m keeping the faith! My goal is to find a place and move by August or September, so let’s see what happens. And when I do, I’ll be sure to show and tell… Okay so that’s my housing update since lots of you are wondering (thank you for even caring!). Okay… let’s look at Etsy for a moment and some of the great sellers over there… want to join me?

Etsy Take Five Tuesday

Fox & Clover in Seattle has some truly beautiful glass plates, bowls and jewelry. Sabrina paints onto glass with glass enamels and when she heats these babies up her paintings fuse permanently onto the glass and never scratch or fade (her words not mine, I have no idea how this process works). She says that she learned this traditional glass painting technique in France and after seeing her photos I’m convinced that Sabrina has a steady hand and mad, mad skillz with a paintbrush.

Etsy Take Five Tuesday

I know that about half of you will start to squirm in your seats on this one, but Bug Under Glass is namely that, real (dead) bugs framed for your viewing pleasure. Hey, some people think it’s creepy, I call it fabulous. I’ve been wanting a vintage blue morpho butterfly in a gold round frame for ages but can NEVER find one in a round frame — always square, square, square! I guess I could transfer one into a round frame, but it’s equally hard to find a round frame that is deep enough to accommodate a butterfly. Oh the dilemma! Oh the stress! But Bug Under Glass is fab so if you’re scouting for creepy crawlies check this shop out.

Etsy Take Five Tuesday

Oh and if you don’t understand why I want a vintage blue morpho butterfly in a round gold frame, perhaps this tear sheet from a Scandinavian magazine will convince you. See, I bet you didn’t care when I said how great a butterfly in a round frame would look, but then I shared with you how the Swedes do it and you’re all about the butterfly now aren’t ya? Ha! I found it ages ago and think this photo is truly gorgeous and the butterfly makes it in my opinion. (photo by petra bindel)

Etsy Take Five Tuesday

Bonbi Forest is UK artist Lee May Foster who studied fine art painting at the University of Brighton and she screenprints paper goods, accessories, t-shirts and then she also works on her paintings that often become cards and prints. Her studio is a barn at her parents’ farm so obviously nature has a strong influence on her body of work. Pretty, don’t you think?

Etsy Take Five Tuesday

Sweet Petula is both an etsy shop and retail storefront in Seattle that seems to have a pretty loyal following given their volume of sales on Etsy! If you like to take baths and smell good (he he) why not grab yourself a few bars of soap — I mean, can you really have too many bars of nicely packaged soap? Made from vegetable oils, herbal ingredients, pure aromatherapy essential oils and botanical extracts you really don’t need to run around stinky. And check this out, the Bonjour Monsieur shea butter soap smells like black tea, tobacco, cedar, lemon, bay and clover. Doesn’t that sound delish, like the hottest man smells all rolled into a single bar of sudsy heaven?

Etsy Take Five Tuesday

Let’s add some bright color and whimsy into the mix today with Abigail Brown, whom I’ve talked about before but since she has some new things in her shop I thought you may need a reminder! With soft wall art and pretty greetings cards, why not take a peek?

Bonus shop: (because I love ya!)
Two Art Directors and a Photographer
may be a real mouth full for a shop name, but what a curious selection they have. About this store, “We are a crazy group of art directors/stylists/photographers/creatives/home interior junkies that can’t shut it off. So, on the weekends we are scouring warehouses, estate sales and just about anywhere for the coolest finds. We sell only the things we love, so you will find a well-edited selection on our site. ” Definitely well-edited, there are some dazzling finds in this eclectic store.

(images linked to their sources above)

51 Comments

• Reply jenn February 23, 2010 at 2:37 pm

oh my gosh… love love love all of these!
    .-= jenn´s last blog ..feelin’ kinda naughtycal… =-.

• Reply Annie February 23, 2010 at 2:54 pm

ooh the butterflies are wonderful! Thanks for sharing – have a great day.
    .-= Annie´s last blog ..What font are you? =-.

• Reply moggit girls February 23, 2010 at 2:57 pm

Your list – fab as always!

J&J
    .-= moggit girls´s last blog ..How The Minds At Moggit Work =-.

• Reply Suze February 23, 2010 at 3:03 pm

All fabulous Holly! Great finds! My favorite here: Fox&Clover and oh my, those bugs!

Ciao,
    Suze
    .-= Suze´s last blog ..Beautiful Today: I Love Tulips + A Secret! =-.

• Reply Phares Causey February 23, 2010 at 3:27 pm

I feel like you made this list for me! I want everything!
    .-= Phares Causey´s last blog ..You Have Got To Check Out This Site!! =-.

• Reply Katie Stephenson February 23, 2010 at 3:33 pm

Holly–you should do an Ebay alert with “round, frame, butterfly.” Love the Ebay alerts! I have a few (that I keep a secret) and have scored some great stuff because of those little alerts. Happy, happy Tuesday!!
    .-= Katie Stephenson´s last blog ..inspirational prints and posters-my top 10 =-.

• Reply Linz February 23, 2010 at 3:38 pm

thank you for the finds!!! i see a couple of shops i’m going to be visiting when i get home. :D and good luck on your apartment hunt. it really is tough to find the perfect place within a good price range, but it’ll come. :)

• Reply Sandy February 23, 2010 at 3:42 pm

These are all soo cute and adorable! I will take the Bonbi Forest blue star pattern tee dress in Small, please! =)

• Reply Laurie Jones February 23, 2010 at 3:46 pm

Wow I love the Bug Under post! Thanks for showing this today!
    .-= Laurie Jones´s last blog ..Miles Redd =-.

• Reply Melissa de la Fuente February 23, 2010 at 3:52 pm

So many beautiful shops….thank you hun! And you are right….I am all about the butterfly in the round frame! You have an amazing eye hun….which I am sure you already know! :) I am sorry your house hunt is not going well but, do not give up hope! Your home is out there, I can feel it! And I believe you will find it soon….usually when I finally let go of something is when it comes back around to me.
    xo
    Melis
    .-= Melissa de la Fuente´s last blog ..Monday: inspired by a photograph =-.

• Reply Juliet February 23, 2010 at 3:53 pm

I love the packaged soaps and Abigail Brown. Her masks are wonderful, kind of point to how easy it could be to DIY, but since she makes those I’d get hers! Thanks
    .-= Juliet´s last blog ..Red Bird Hook =-.

• Reply Lori February 23, 2010 at 3:59 pm

Sweet Petula is to die for. The wrapping alone is gorgeous.
    Have a great evening. :)
    .-= Lori´s last blog ..My Aha Moment =-.

• Reply Sarah Sarniak February 23, 2010 at 4:26 pm

I love the packaging on those soaps..those are so cool
    .-= Sarah Sarniak´s last blog ..Major Budget Decorating =-.

• Reply vicki February 23, 2010 at 4:37 pm

Ooh, I love your selections today, Holly, and it’s nice to know that Fox and Clover are from the Seattle are, too. :)

Big XO,

Vicki

• Reply Sabina February 23, 2010 at 4:42 pm

So I’m behind in my eclass; thus, I just listened to your podcast about negativity (better late than never, right? see, I’m sending myself the positive!). Remember how you told us to address it as much as possible and then push it aside and keep going on? Here I am to give you the encouragement that it will all work out. I’m sending you positive vibes for house hunting, and thanks for managing to send out the take five amidst all of it. Sending you my best …

• Reply Carla Valverde February 23, 2010 at 4:51 pm

All really nice taste. Loved the first one.

• Reply Hrandica February 23, 2010 at 4:56 pm

I like reading (and looking) your site. You always have something interesting to show.Today I decided to comment.
    I love soaps and wall art of A. Brown.
    And you…you will find what you are looking for, when you don´t expect.
    .-= Hrandica´s last blog ..ODSTRANJEVANJE MADEŽEV =-.

• Reply Bridgett February 23, 2010 at 4:56 pm

I’ve been using Sweet Petula’s products for a year now and recently bought the bath salts. It makes for a perfect end to a stressful day.
    .-= Bridgett´s last blog ..Girls Weekend =-.

• Reply Lisa February 23, 2010 at 5:37 pm

I love Abigail Brown’s creations! Such adorable things!

• Reply thedoodlegirl February 23, 2010 at 5:59 pm

Sending good wishes to you on your house hunt!! You will find it! You will!
    .-= thedoodlegirl´s last blog ..Illustration Friday =-.

• Reply Karla February 23, 2010 at 7:29 pm

beautiful selection- I love the bugs under glass!! Well the butterflies anyway, they don’t really count as creepy crawlies:)
    .-= Karla´s last blog ..Andy McKee Played at Our Wedding -yes really! =-.

• Reply cristin @ simplified bee February 23, 2010 at 7:36 pm

Love these stores! Can’t get enough of Etsy.

xo,
    cristin
    .-= cristin @ simplified bee´s last blog ..Easter and Springtime Decorating Ideas =-.

• Reply samantha hahn February 23, 2010 at 8:07 pm

i’m sure you will find a fantastic place and make it so beautiful with your magic touch!
    .-= samantha hahn´s last blog ..Freckle Face =-.

• Reply Mary February 23, 2010 at 8:25 pm

OMG! If you go to Bugnderglass.com (their other website) ..things get more interesting. Hilarious!

• Reply decor8 February 24, 2010 at 4:10 am

Mary – HA HA Thanks for sharing that link, what a riot!!!

• Reply laura trevey February 23, 2010 at 8:30 pm

I love the butterflies… and Sweet Petula is the BEST!!
    .-= laura trevey´s last blog ..Home Renovation: Siding and Framing =-.

• Reply jacqueline February 23, 2010 at 8:37 pm

Such lovely shops! Ohhh i adore Sweet Petula….such a wonderful shop with lovely lovely products and gorgeous packaing! Yipee hearting this lovely shop…it’s perfect for my little wedding planning. :) Thanks sooo sooo much! Have a lovely merry happy paws-perity year of the tiger!

p/s: I am celebrating chinese new year over here in Malaysia. :)
    .-= jacqueline´s last blog ..Celebrating paws-perity… =-.

• Reply Heather February 23, 2010 at 11:20 pm

Hi Holly,
    Search for a vintage convex frame on ebay. After being inspired by some framed butterflies at anthro a while back, I purchased some beautiful vintage frames AND butterflies from ebay. With some very careful hot-gluing onto heavy colored cardstock I made a set of four framed specimens for a lot less than one faux-vintage piece from anthro.

• Reply decor8 February 24, 2010 at 4:09 am

Heather THANK YOU for your comment, I will do that…. I never knew what they were called until now. Thank you!

• Reply Chloe C. February 24, 2010 at 12:09 am

omg the bugs under glass!
    here is wishing you a nice round frame and the perfect butterfly that fits iin it!

• Reply Diana February 24, 2010 at 12:42 am

Fantastic, they are all just fantastic! Good luck with the home hunting :)
    .-= Diana´s last blog ..PolaroidArt – Paris Project! =-.

• Reply ishtar February 24, 2010 at 4:46 am

the butterfly looks lovely on the golden frame, but I just couldn´t bare having a real one…dead…..I would love instead abigails fabric butterflies. they are gorgeous!!
    .-= ishtar´s last blog ..Aloha! =-.

• Reply sarah b. February 24, 2010 at 5:40 am

oh, i’m so glad you linked bugs under glass! i’ve been wanting a butterfly specimen, but don’t really know much about them, so i wasn’t sure where to begin. didn’t even think to look on etsy! definitely getting myself one.
    .-= sarah b.´s last blog ..bones-love =-.

• Reply anastasia February 24, 2010 at 6:05 am

you always find such beautiful things!!
    thanks as well for that great post on styling and photography for products – great images sell things – im slowly learning and trying to improve my etsy shop image all the time – thanks for thinking of us, inspiring post!!
    .-= anastasia´s last blog .. =-.

• Reply Mitzi Curi February 24, 2010 at 6:42 am

I love all of your selections today, but Fox and Clover is the most awesome-est! I’ve seen Sabrina’s necklaces before, they’re very unusual and intriguing. Their work definitely stands out from the crowd as being unique and beautifully made.
    .-= Mitzi Curi´s last blog ..Guest Blogger Today: Lucky Star Lane =-.

• Reply Lee May Foster February 24, 2010 at 8:15 am

Thanks so much for featuring my Bonbi Forest wares amongst all these gorgeous finds! XX Lee May
    .-= Lee May Foster´s last blog ..You Might Need Me Card =-.

• Reply Sarah February 24, 2010 at 10:27 am

Just a word of caution about buying preserved bugs and butterflies – many of them are poached, smuggled, and violate the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES).

The Bug Under Glass etsy site claims the their butterflies are acquired in an “ethical way.” I will give the site the benefit of the doubt, but BUYER BEWARE AND BE INFORMED. There are professional butterfly hunters that pass themselves off as legitimate “eco-friendly” dealers of farm-raised butterflies. The problem is that the farm raised butterflies are often the children or grandchild, etc. of poached butterflies. Also, if you knew the process by which farmed butterflies get to these pretty picture frames I doubt you would want one in your home.

If you do decide to buy a butterfly, first check out the CITES Appendix I and II to check that any butterfly you are buying is not on the list. There are ways to legally procure CITES listed butterflies, but know that legitimate dealers will have a permit to sell CITES butterflies, and also know these permits can be forged.

For more on this see Peter Laufer’s book The Dangerous World of Butterflies.

• Reply decor8 February 24, 2010 at 1:24 pm

Sarah what an insightful comment, I will look into this. I’m sure Bug Under Glass did their research so I think they’re fine but it’s smart to think about this when purchasing anything from bugs to horn, etc. I was at a market here this past year that had a booth selling nothing but horn – combs made from it, cups, you name it and my conscience wouldn’t allow me to buy anything though I loved a hair clip that I saw. I felt like it could possibly be “unethical” so I moved on to another booth. Which reminds me, I should investigate horn a little further to learn more because I had forgotten all about it until now. Thanks for your helpful comment!

• Reply Shay February 24, 2010 at 12:36 pm

I am marching my stinky self down to Sweet Petula immediately.
    Love all the take 5 this week !!!!
    Thanks!!
    Shay

• Reply Meg February 24, 2010 at 3:43 pm

Great finds! I love them all! I’m buying those soaps from Sweet Petula! And you’re right, I can’t never have enough nice soaps!! Thanks :)
    .-= Meg´s last blog ..Bear boots Holder =-.

• Reply Aryn February 24, 2010 at 7:52 pm

I found a butterfly like the one your looking for – except in an oval frame – in an antique shop in Munich on Türkenstraße. I realize its not near Hanover, but still Germany may be jsut the place to find what you’re looking for! :o)

• Reply decor8 February 25, 2010 at 2:59 am

Aryn — I wish Munich was closer — thank you for the tip though!

• Reply nina February 24, 2010 at 11:46 pm

Beautiful picks! I love Etsy :-)
    .-= nina´s last blog ..Mother of the Bride Style Inspiration =-.

• Reply popko February 25, 2010 at 10:12 am

As a jewelry artist who works with real butterfly wings, I agree with Sarah. Its very important to be sure of the sources of the wings you acquire. Because of my work, I have learned how to access them from a safe source, which is incredibly difficult, but possible. The Bug Under Glass site says he has a degree in Conservation Biology, so I would hope that he has the resources to be true to his claims. I love the wings over the vintage maps, very dreamy. On a side note, I would love to have a round frame like you mentioned, how gorgeous!
    .-= popko´s last blog ..glasswing =-.

• Reply elle moss February 25, 2010 at 11:41 am

Love all of these so much! The paper used by Sweet Petula is so charming!
    .-= elle moss´s last blog ..Mary Mary…Fine Art Print =-.

• Reply kathelen February 25, 2010 at 4:21 pm

I use Sweet Petula, wonderful scents lots of depth, very unique.

• Reply nancy and the wolf February 25, 2010 at 11:15 pm

Holly, every Tuesday you amaze me with your Etsy discoveries – each one is more brilliant than the last, and these five are no exception! And I agree – if Abigail keeps coming up with NEW delights, why not include her again? N x

• Reply choklit February 27, 2010 at 10:34 am

thanks for the great links !

my parents had a set of 3 round frames displaying multiple butterflies in their bedroom. i’ve no clue where they even got them from or how long they had them – i just remember they were always there. i think my mother still has them too.

a few months ago i made some dead bug purchases from http://www.etsy.com/shop/REALBUTTERFLYGIFTS .. my fav being the jewel pink purple beetle (#2105) with its wings spread

• Reply Wendy March 3, 2010 at 12:18 pm

Thank you Decor 8 for turning me onto Bug Under Glass! I just received a blue morpho and a swallowtail and the quality is superb – much better than anything I have purchased in the past. It even comes with a fun little story about the bug and information about where the butterflies came from.

I also looked into the ethics of butterfly displays and, in my opinion, I think Bug Under Glass is the only one to trust. On their website http://bugunderglass.com it says they are the only certified green business that sells these display and I see that the artist has a Master’s Degree in Conservation Biology as well as a scientific publication on insect conservation!! What more can you ask?? I don’t think he would be selling anything that he does not believe in. When you go to other websites that sell these things there is not much info there which makes me wonder.

• Reply decor8 March 3, 2010 at 12:36 pm

Wendy I agree, thank you for highlighting those important facts!

• Reply Anna July 17, 2011 at 8:20 pm

I think the reason you can only find butterfly displays in square shadow boxes might be because museum quality preservation calls for airtight display cases. Otherwise microscopic critters will get in, and it’s bye bye butterfly. It’s probably difficult to get a round frame to be airtight, but if you decide to transfer your butterfly anyways, it might wise to look into archival quality materials. Just trying to be helpful. In any case, I agree that the round gold frame is super cute and wish you the best of luck in your search.