Arts + Crafts

The Owls Are Hunting

March 1, 2010

Pinch me. What a way to kick off a new month. I’ve fallen head over heels with these retro-inspired lamps by newly launched shop The Owls Are Hunting this past weekend. Talented founder/owner Jo is from England but now lives in Australia where she takes vintage lamps and gives them a bit of love and then tops the bases with handmade shades. Oh my, this lamp below gives me such goose bumps!

The Owls Are Hunting

I’m crazy about the base and the shade is just perfect (above), don’t you think? I would love to order the exact same one for my office. Well the office I plan to have once I find a new place to live! Ah, so fresh and vibrant. Here are some additional views of the lamps that Jo creates and a few glimpses of her work studio in Canberra. See if this doesn’t brighten your day…

The Owls Are Hunting

The Owls Are Hunting

The Owls Are Hunting

The Owls Are Hunting

If you would like to order a lamp, visit Made It where she has a little shop. You may also see more lamps on her website. Also check out the Made It blog for a terrific in-depth interview that they had with Jo in February. Enjoy!

(images: the owls are hunting)

You Might Also Like

• Reply kelly lynette March 1, 2010 at 9:48 am

my heart skipped a beat.
    .-= kelly lynette´s last blog ..18 x 18 paper collage floral burst wall art =-.

• Reply Laura March 1, 2010 at 9:48 am

these are just HAPPY with lightbulbs~love ’em all!
    .-= Laura´s last blog ..I married royalty =-.

• Reply Melissa de la Fuente March 1, 2010 at 9:48 am

So adorable and sweet! I can’t wait to check it all out~
    .-= Melissa de la Fuente´s last blog ..Monday: inspired by a photograph =-.

• Reply Rowaida Flayhan March 1, 2010 at 9:49 am

So beautiful and fresh! Love it

• Reply trish March 1, 2010 at 9:50 am

hi holly- well if these lamps don’t say – be happy! sweeter than sweet.
    happy day and happy manifesting, that lamp would be even happier in your home. oxo t
    .-= trish´s last blog ..still life + light woods =-.

• Reply Thea March 1, 2010 at 9:52 am

Love! These are a great find. And the more I see white walls, the more I want them. I’m off to visit Jo’s site now.

• Reply claire March 1, 2010 at 10:09 am

Gasp! These are beautiful!

• Reply Tobi/Ivey Handcrafted March 1, 2010 at 10:09 am

those are ridiculously cute – thanks for finding them!!

• Reply Kate Collins March 1, 2010 at 10:21 am

I just worked on a lamp shade and a vintage base that I found at our Salvation Army this past weekend. It looks great but not as great as Jo’s. Wow – what an inspiration. I love all the color.

• Reply Diana L March 1, 2010 at 10:22 am

Yes… those are amazing lamps! Love them. The colors, sizes, and fabric selection are perfection!!! Love your blog too! Glad to have found you. My morning has been brightened. Thank you!

• Reply Brigitte March 1, 2010 at 10:25 am

These are the most perfect lamps. I’ve never spent $100 on a lamp before…may.break.down.
    .-= Brigitte´s last blog ..Personal Style: Beyond Definition? =-.

• Reply Sandy March 1, 2010 at 10:31 am

OMG, I am in love, *swoon*! I love the Annabelle Ceiling Lampshade and the yellow/orange designed ones!! I totally want to buy one for my basement!!!! I hope she ships to the U.S.?? THANKS so much for sharing!!

• Reply Jen March 1, 2010 at 10:45 am

Those lamps would brighten just about any room you popped them into! So cute!!
    .-= Jen´s last blog ..Smaller, Prettier Recipe Binders =-.

• Reply Lisa March 1, 2010 at 10:49 am

I’m so digging the workspace photo in particular. Love how well the colors work together. I wish I could keep my fabric that organized haha!

• Reply Bonnie March 1, 2010 at 10:50 am

Blissful color, oh how I love thee so! :)

Thanks so much for sharing, can’t wait to check these out.

Have a lovely Monday!!
    .-= Bonnie´s last blog ..365 Project =-.

• Reply Miss B March 1, 2010 at 10:57 am

Congrats to Jo! These photo’s are AMAZING, wow! I especially love her cylinder lamps perfect for a pop of color + pattern. Great find as usual Holly and I hope you find your perfect home soon!

• Reply Gosia Maj March 1, 2010 at 11:02 am

What a fantastic web find. The lamps are so cool. I love to be able to peek into Jo’s working area. The fabrics stretched on the needlepoint frames, hanging on the wall, are such an adorable accent.
    .-= Gosia Maj´s last blog ..Picture a Day: Small Seeded Breads =-.

• Reply Maria March 1, 2010 at 11:08 am

Oh my, the lamp at the top is soo gorgeous and sold, of course :)
    Such awesome and creative work! Beautiful lamps!
    .-= Maria´s last blog ..Vintage Rose 5×5 (13×13 cm) Photo Print =-.

• Reply jacqueline March 1, 2010 at 11:10 am

These lamps are sooo sweet and cute! I adore the first one…so inspiring! Off to check out this lovely shop! Have a lovely merry happy week and love to yoU!
    .-= jacqueline´s last blog ..Tea brings feeling to life =-.

• Reply thedoodlegirl March 1, 2010 at 11:11 am

Soooo very charming and whimsical! What fun!!
    .-= thedoodlegirl´s last blog ..Illustration Friday =-.

• Reply Jane @ The Borrowed Abode March 1, 2010 at 11:24 am

Love at first sight. Enough said. *swoon
    .-= Jane @ The Borrowed Abode´s last blog ..Reader Q: Best Books? =-.

• Reply At Home with Kim Vallee March 1, 2010 at 11:53 am

Jo has a good sense of design. I love how she styled her pictures. Her studio is awesome. It must be inspiring working in that space.
    .-= At Home with Kim Vallee´s last blog ..The 7th edition of Nuit Blanche in Montreal =-.

• Reply Genevieve Gail March 1, 2010 at 11:56 am

So pretty! Especially that first one with the Heather Bailey fabric shade!
    .-= Genevieve Gail´s last blog ..A Little Alice For You… =-.

• Reply Lizzie March 1, 2010 at 11:59 am

Wow those lamps are gorgeous! Thank you for always posting such great finds and designers. I have just started writing a blog as I was so inspired by your and other peoples blogs. I have added your blog to my list of blogs that I read!
    .-= Lizzie´s last blog ..The Shop =-.

• Reply Megan March 1, 2010 at 12:02 pm

Oh my gooooooodness!!! I’m supposed to be studying for an exam and I can’t because I’m going lamp crazy…I want one! I have the perfect spot for one of these! This just jump started my day :)

• Reply Laura Evans March 1, 2010 at 12:08 pm

those are some gorgeous lamps!
    .-= Laura Evans´s last blog ..taking in what the world has to offer – whimsical fine art photography =-.

• Reply Jillian March 1, 2010 at 12:19 pm

The turquoise one with the pink birds on the shade is adorable and my favorite. I wish I could find a good tutorial on how to recover different shapes of lampshades, but so far I haven’t landed on one.

• Reply stacy di March 1, 2010 at 1:16 pm

I adore these! love the colors and shapes…I’m off to check out her site now.
    .-= stacy di´s last blog ..sweet note pads. =-.

• Reply Laura March 1, 2010 at 1:29 pm

Her selection of fabrics is absolutely gorgeous!
    .-= Laura´s last blog ..Batik and me =-.

• Reply Sarah Sarniak March 1, 2010 at 2:02 pm

These are so great! So unique and pretty. I absolutely love them.
    .-= Sarah Sarniak´s last blog ..Easy and Cheap DIY Sawhorse =-.

• Reply michelle @ blissful musings March 1, 2010 at 2:08 pm

Wow, love these lamps. I’ve been looking for the perfect lamp for my nightstand.
    .-= michelle @ blissful musings´s last blog ..Saying No to the Cupcake =-.

• Reply Kenziepoo March 1, 2010 at 5:20 pm

I love those lamps!! I need one for my home. Now to choose which one. :)
    .-= Kenziepoo´s last blog ..Sponsor Highlight =-.

• Reply Liss (daydreamlily) March 1, 2010 at 6:47 pm

oh Ive seen these before, thanks for reminding me about them. I’ll be adding one to my birthday wish list!
    .-= Liss (daydreamlily)´s last blog ..Lost Things =-.

• Reply i*adore March 1, 2010 at 9:02 pm

So inspirational!! I love the lamps and she makes me want to start on a new project!!
    .-= i*adore´s last blog ..Chaotically Messy. And not in the cute way either. =-.

• Reply Carol March 1, 2010 at 9:08 pm

I LOVED IT!!! It´s so beautiful!
    Carol Carneiro
    .-= Carol´s last blog ..2º Encontro Virtual De Blogueiras =-.

• Reply Morgan Bradshaw March 1, 2010 at 9:34 pm

love love love all these lamps they are so faun and make me smile!
    .-= Morgan Bradshaw´s last blog ..Paper Bouquet =-.

• Reply Shell March 1, 2010 at 10:08 pm

Wow..Jo’s work space is beautiful.
    .-= Shell´s last blog ..Birthday Party and The Full Moon =-.

• Reply Rosalind March 2, 2010 at 4:12 am

Yay for showcasing a lovely local designer of ours :-) Jo’s work is lovely – thrilled to see her on your blog!
    .-= Rosalind´s last blog ..Hair Pin Set – Gold Organza with Swarovski Crystal =-.

• Reply Julie nichols March 2, 2010 at 4:23 am

I agree these are gorgeous. We have Jo at Handmade Market and she is a firm favourite for sure.
    Come and drop by some time!

• Reply Penny Patten March 3, 2010 at 10:00 am

The lamp shades are wonderfull! Thank You for sharing them with us.
    .-= Penny Patten´s last blog ..From Inspiration Photo’s, I Altered this Skirt =-.

• Reply Kami March 25, 2010 at 10:54 pm

I love these! I’m linking to this post tomorrow, and I just wanted to say thanks for all the inspiration and fun finds!