Decorating Tips

Jonathan Adler Dachshund Bookends

March 10, 2010

I am still thinking about that pretty vintage puppy party that I featured yesterday… oh that was just so adorable. And now that I’m thinking about dogs, I thought I’d share quickly those bookends that I ordered from Barnes and Noble last year (post here) because I realized this morning that I never showed you how they look in-situ. It took about a month for them to reach me (int’l shipping is always slow), but now that I have them I can’t imagine owning any other bookends.

Jonathan Adler Dachshund Bookends

These white dachshund darlings were designed by Jonathan Adler for Barnes & Noble and you can buy them online (they ship to Europe, too). I ordered them in October and they arrived around the holidays but I was so busy that I forgot to tell you how cute they are! I’m not in love with the lumpy bumpy wallpaper in the flat we are renting right now but it’s not bad either…. you have to appreciate and work with what you’ve been given sometimes, right? And so I have learned to live with the lumps. :)

Jonathan Adler Dachshund Bookends

And these are just snapshots from my day today, but above I’ve shown some loot from my weekly farmers’ market visit this morning. Not styled to perfection, just informal snaps — but this is my life and my typical days are casual and relaxed just like the flowers shown on my coffee table. In addition to tulips I found some yellow flowering branches (though it will be a surprise to see what will blossom as I have no clue what the flower lady called them in German), a little wooden doll for a euro and a pretty bread basket with ceramic blue and white handles for a few euros that I will now use for my mail.

Jonathan Adler Dachshund Bookends

Here are the flowers now that I’ve arranged them. Again, no frills — they are wrapped with green floral tape to keep them together as tulips can sag and I’ve placed them in a white ceramic canister from IKEA. But the over all look is warm and welcoming just how I like it — I believe that real beauty doesn’t need to be put on, are you with me on that? Style should be effortless because that’s when you know it’s authentic, and uniquely you.

How is your day? Did spring visit your part of the world today as it has for me?

(images: holly becker for decor8)

You Might Also Like

37 Comments

• Reply Nicole March 10, 2010 at 12:08 pm

The yellow flowering branches are Forsythia, very popular in Germany in the Spring. A lot of people hang decorated eggs on them at Easter time. They are so cheerful but don’t have a lot of scent.

• Reply decor8 March 10, 2010 at 12:20 pm

Nicole – Yes that is what they are — I just asked my husband to tell me what the German word for “Forsythia” is and the moment he told me I knew that was the word the flower lady mumbled as she told my 2- euro for 6 stems (so cheap!). THANK YOU for letting me know.

• Reply Lindsey March 10, 2010 at 12:09 pm

Holly, I love the bookends! I think I’d buy them myself but I’m worried my pup would get jealous. Your trip to the farmer’s market looks successful too. We had a lovely spring-like weekend here but sadly today the weather is yucky. I’m so ready for spring to be upon us for a good amount of time.
    Have a great day!

• Reply Erin @ SYL: Slipcover Your Life March 10, 2010 at 12:10 pm

I can’t say enough good things about your new doxie! I’m the proud owner of a rescue doxie and was actually given JA’s standalone dachshund which I display proudly on my coffee table! Thinking I might need to follow your lead and add a fourth dachshund home accessory to my ‘collection’ (how many pet themed objects do you need to be considered crazy?)

Spring (and tulips AND daffodils) have made it to NYC! Have a good day Holly!
    .-= Erin @ SYL: Slipcover Your Life´s last blog ..Pay It Forward (and my blog posse)… =-.

• Reply Jenny N. March 10, 2010 at 12:11 pm

The doggy bookends are adorable. Wish they had a pug, I would totally order it!
    .-= Jenny N.´s last blog ..50 Followers in a Week? =-.

• Reply Will March 10, 2010 at 12:17 pm

I’m a huge Jonathan Alder fan, Holly, so I’m clearly loving the doddy bookends. His designs are always imaginative, informal and effortlessly cool. Love, love, love! Gorgeous, relaxed images from your apartment, too.
    .-= Will´s last blog ..{Birthday giveaway: Stationery loving} =-.

• Reply Brigitte March 10, 2010 at 12:20 pm

I’ve been lusting after the bull bookends for years! My husband is a Taurus, so they appeal to me all the more. But these are just too sweet.
    .-= Brigitte´s last blog ..Decorating my Bath like a Room =-.

• Reply decor8 March 10, 2010 at 12:22 pm

Brigitte – Yes and a lot cheaper than “real” JA bookends, for sure. These are resin though and not ceramic.

• Reply Megan March 10, 2010 at 12:24 pm

Spring has come early in Alberta, Canada! Most of the snow melted away this weekend, so everything underneath is still brown and dirty – but the little birdies are chirping and the market is full of beautiful spring bouquets – it definitely gives you a feeling of cheerfulness!

• Reply Raina Kattelson March 10, 2010 at 12:28 pm

my daughter has those on her desk and loves them almost as much as charlie our jack russel mix. right now I am at my desk with the window wide open! The birds are singing outside and my crocus are blooming-yea, spring is on it’s way.
    .-= Raina Kattelson´s last blog ..alexander mcqeen’s final collection =-.

• Reply Daniella March 10, 2010 at 12:28 pm

Beautiful arrangement Holly!

• Reply Rochelle March 10, 2010 at 12:36 pm

Holly, thank you for sharing an informal snapshot of your day. The spring colors are just what the doctor ordered on this overcast Seattle morning. Your site is always such a breath of fresh air and inspiration. Thanks!

• Reply Dognbird March 10, 2010 at 12:44 pm

What a cute bookend find!
    .-= Dognbird´s last blog ..DIY Dangling Flower Ribbon Garland =-.

• Reply michelle @ blissful musings March 10, 2010 at 12:49 pm

The doxie bookends are darling!

• Reply Inga March 10, 2010 at 1:06 pm

Gorgeous books, where did they come from?

• Reply decor8 March 10, 2010 at 1:09 pm

I bought them in 2008 at a thift shop around the corner in my neighborhood. I have double the amount, this is half of the stack. The rest are in the bookcase. :)

• Reply Sarah Sarniak March 10, 2010 at 1:09 pm

Oh I know someone who would just love these!
    .-= Sarah Sarniak´s last blog ..St. Patrick’s Day Shamrock Garland =-.

• Reply Melissa de la Fuente March 10, 2010 at 1:44 pm

You are so good my darling! They are perfect , as is your use of that sweet basket you just got….and the gorgeous flowers! *sigh* styling perfection + happy inducing! :)
    xo
    Melis
    .-= Melissa de la Fuente´s last blog ..Over here! :) =-.

• Reply Sarah March 10, 2010 at 1:56 pm

Oh yes Spring is here today in Indianapolis and I’m loving it. I am loving the vintage books between your sweet little dachshund too. The spines are so worn and pretty.
    .-= Sarah´s last blog ..Know your ABC’s =-.

• Reply Sweetwine and Snowflakes March 10, 2010 at 2:10 pm

Its all quite lovely Holly! Markets are great, aren’t they?!

• Reply kitarita March 10, 2010 at 2:22 pm

Ditto Inga…love the bookends, but LOVE the books!

• Reply Martina March 10, 2010 at 2:33 pm

Hi there Holly..these shots are lovely! The bookends….totally adorable! And all your market finds are wonderful :)
    .-= Martina´s last blog ..Goddesses all ?? =-.

• Reply Meghan March 10, 2010 at 2:38 pm

I love how clean and fresh it looks with the white and bursts of color. Makes me want to repaint my walls white in stead of the midnight blue that I currently have.

I love those flowers, I can’t wait for spring to come to Chicago and for the farmers’ markets to open again. *sigh*
    .-= Meghan´s last blog ..Here we go again… =-.

• Reply Vicki March 10, 2010 at 3:22 pm

LOVE those, I very happily got some for Christmas, I was over the moon! They totally make my favourite corner :) http://www.flickr.com/photos/vickispics/4376657260/

Spring hasn’t arrived in London yet…. really craving some sunshine and warmth now!
    .-= Vicki´s last blog ..formspring.me =-.

• Reply jebcat March 10, 2010 at 3:30 pm

The books could be from Insel Verlag in Germany – they are well known for their beautiful bindings.
    Check the current program out here, they still publish those beauties:

And yes, Holly, I understand your disgust with the ubiquitous Rauhfasertapete here in Germany ;)

• Reply Jolette March 10, 2010 at 3:44 pm

The bookends are marvellous! I can just picture the little Dachshund’s tummy expanding as I add more and more Penguin Classics…
    I believe style is not something you can produce by following a set of rules and ticking off each requirement as you complete it. It shouldn’t even be about creating anything – it should just happen naturally as you buy/receive (hopefully) things that make you happy and do what you want with them.
    It’s really NOT spring in the Western Cape, South Africa at the moment! A hideously humid late summer is more accurate. It’s almost too muggy to think.
    .-= Jolette´s last blog ..Turning on the charm =-.

• Reply Max Schneider March 10, 2010 at 4:41 pm

Congrats: You discovered the Rauhfasertapete (the lumpy bumby wallpaper you don’t like), something 100% stereotypical German, just like the Dachshund in front of the lumpy bumpy wood chip wallpaper.

• Reply decor8 March 10, 2010 at 5:01 pm

Max: Ha! It’s fine, it’s not a problem for me. Most of my German friends don’t like it either. You learn to work around things that you don’t like, just like any rental apartment because there is no perfect apartment in the world. The only way around it is to own a home and then one can make things exactly as they wish, of course, if they have the money to do so. The key is to learn how to make things work that you do not naturally like. I had to do that in a lot of the apartments that I rented in Boston as most rentals in America come with kitchens that are built-in and so you are stuck with whatever kitchen is there – stove, cabinetry, dishwasher, etc. Most of my kitchens when I was renting 10+ years ago were very old-fashioned with dark brown cabinetry from the 70s. I once had a kitchen with mustard-colored appliances. Another kitchen had an avocado green stove. But there was nothing I could do about it so I made it work. When things are not perfect you have to be more creative and often that is when some of the best ideas are born.

• Reply ChervelleCamille March 10, 2010 at 4:49 pm

I agree! Style should definitely be effortless and authentic. Too many people miss that mark these days. Love the flower arrangments.

• Reply ivy style33 March 10, 2010 at 7:08 pm

Oh about this typical German bumpy wallpaper ( laughed soooo hard when I read that!) I almost know what you mean as I wasn’t exactly thrilled, when I saw that the apartment we had chosen ( and so much wanted) to live in here in Germany – eventhough in a contemporary building built in 2001 – has its walls covered with it.

Its bumps are slightly more discrete than the ones behind the cute (but not my style) Dachshunds pictured here. Only that after spending a night in the place and seeing how it works with the light, I couldn’t have made any better or a different choice myself.

As this is a loft style, gallery penthouse, the walls and ceilings around the big window area reach approximately 5 meters high(if not more) and as there is extreme amount of light, I actually find all this bumpy texture appearing very charming and in away dressing lots of square meters of walls and ceiling that would otherwise look too boring or empty being “flat”.
    The occassion of any kind of patterned wallpaper would really not do the architecture of the place a favour, so I wouldn’t consider it.

So, to stand for this otherwise not so fabulous wallpaper indeed, it is always a matter of context, like all things in life. We have to see things to their wholeness to make a judgement.

and Holly actually, your place looks very inviting and sweet despite the wallpaper and the style that represents you can be and is well communicated anyway!
    I only wish for you, that in your next apartment you don’t get the… bumpy walls again, since you really don’t like them! ; )
    .-= ivy style33´s last blog ..Bemz pillow…&….pimp your reading corner ; ) =-.

• Reply Sara March 11, 2010 at 3:57 am

how cute…. I want one tooooooo
    .-= Sara´s last blog ..Parma: finanziamenti all’agricoltura da Agrifidi Emilia =-.

• Reply Rachel March 11, 2010 at 5:01 am

aww, the dachshund is the most adorable thing for a bookend! and how i love your market finds!
    .-= Rachel´s last blog ..a thousand ways to say i love you… =-.

• Reply Tess March 11, 2010 at 1:21 pm

ooh!!! My grandma gave me these for my birthday back in December!! And my mom gave me the long JA doxie- and of course, 2 little doxie imps are snuggling next to me as I write this! :P Yours looks just so lovely!

.-= Tess´s last blog ..DIY Fridge Frame =-.

• Reply Anna March 11, 2010 at 3:30 pm

Very nice and stylish without screaming cute. It all looks wonderful Holy.

• Reply jamieofalltrades March 15, 2010 at 12:00 am

i love those bookends. my sister is the biggest dachshund fan and she would love these.
    .-= jamieofalltrades´s last blog ..watch what happens live =-.

• Reply Lisa Pinehill March 15, 2010 at 5:13 am

This bookend is so cute! It will make my desk adorable.:-D
    .-= Lisa Pinehill´s last blog ..The tyrant reign over the hot snacks?! He put Death Rain to shame! : Tohato “Bokun Habanero” series (Tyrant Habanero) =-.

• Reply Nina Greaves July 7, 2010 at 7:30 am

So glad I found this blog – those photos look like they have been taken by a true professional and I’m loving the doggy bookends too!

I have bookmarked your page and I’ll be back for more :)