Objects

Moonbasket: Lighting + More!

March 11, 2010

Oh, oh, oh! This is hot. Moonbasket in South Africa has some mind blowing crochet designs on their website like crochet pendant lamps, cuff bracelets, stools, and votive candles made out of cotton string and jute twine. Cape Town designer and artist Dani Le Roy launched Moonbasket and works alongside business partner Laura Summs to design and make pendants and other home accessories out of mostly natural materials. Stunning!

Moonbasket: Lighting + More!

So tactile, and very grandma’s house gets a mega modern makeover! And you know what I learned about crochet today that I never once thought about? This.

Crochet is one of the few crafts that cannot be replicated by machine. The unique quality of each handmade item produced becomes the most essential part of its luxury.”

Is that not the coolest factoid ever? I think yes. I mean, it’s like crochet is untouchable, it’s the ultimate handmade product. I really like the simple, modern styles of Moonbasket. What do you think?

(images: moonbasket)

You Might Also Like

26 Comments

• Reply Tennille March 11, 2010 at 7:14 pm

Beautiful! The black light is a perfect modern twist. I love the star-like pattern in the lower left photo. Thanks for introducing us!
    .-= Tennille´s last blog ..Before & After: Window Treatments 3 =-.

• Reply ashlina March 11, 2010 at 7:20 pm

would LOVE a lamp light that for my home…
    .-= ashlina´s last blog ..secret of domestic bliss #6…must add jewels =-.

• Reply MARCE March 11, 2010 at 7:22 pm

Beautiful crochet idea!
    .-= MARCE´s last blog ..Canastos metálicos =-.

• Reply Patty March 11, 2010 at 7:29 pm

I love it!

But I’m a big cleanliness bug. How do it clean it? :(

I agree with crochet being one of those ultimate handmade products. I had a crochet project back at school and its no easy feat. Very tedious but also very interesting. I imagine it would be fascinating to discover how crochet came about.

That aside, the moon baskets have a lot of style and attitude.

• Reply RealGloss March 11, 2010 at 7:29 pm

These are simply amazing – who knew crochet could be so awesome!

• Reply paola March 11, 2010 at 7:33 pm

And that is why I’m learning to crochet! But thanks for that great factoid. Never knew that and I will now treasure my home-crocheted items all the more…
    .-= paola´s last blog ..Today I Am Mostly… =-.

• Reply patricia March 11, 2010 at 7:33 pm

Wow! These are awesome!
    .-= patricia´s last blog ..spring cleaning =-.

• Reply Liz (madeinlowell) March 11, 2010 at 7:42 pm

I think this work is gorgeous! I have been completely obsessed with crochet lately so this is really fun to see. Thanks for bringing it to my attention!
    .-= Liz (madeinlowell)´s last blog ..Pincushion Ring – Vanilla mint =-.

• Reply Sarah March 11, 2010 at 11:55 pm

Does anyone know the techniques used for those votives?

• Reply Etincelle March 12, 2010 at 12:43 am

Truly amazing work! I am gonna get my friend in Cape Town to check it out for me :) and maybe bring me some back as I noticed there is no e-shop.
    .-= Etincelle´s last blog ..Babushka Comfort Doll – Zaza =-.

• Reply Jennifer March 12, 2010 at 12:43 am

Wow, I’d never have thought crochet could be so beautiful and modern. It just goes to show that thinking outside the box can result in beautiful things.
    .-= Jennifer´s last blog ..Beautiful Tip – Increase your happiness by keeping a Gratitude Journal =-.

• Reply Nick March 12, 2010 at 12:55 am

What do I think? Words cannot describe what I think. They are so elegant in their simplicity.
    What could these people do with macrame! xxN
    .-= Nick´s last blog ..for show =-.

• Reply Monica March 12, 2010 at 3:01 am

These are beautiful and I can imagine that they cast a beautiful light. The pendant lights would be lovely in a bedroom.

• Reply Mitzi Curi March 12, 2010 at 6:24 am

OK, now I feel like I’ve seen the ultimate crochet art…..I have always preferred crochet over knitting, and I used to make granny squares when I was a kid. I’m going to investigate Moonbasket a little more this morning. Thanks for introducing me to a great resource!
    .-= Mitzi Curi´s last blog ..Flea Market Style Magazine Yoyo Flowers! =-.

• Reply ivy style33 March 12, 2010 at 6:54 am

I think they are really amazing….and would love to see them in a relaxed setting by the sea..not that they won’t manage to look stunning in a more urban environment…Moonbasket….a name to write down… : )
    .-= ivy style33´s last blog ..Bemz pillow…&….pimp your reading corner ; ) =-.

• Reply Lisa March 12, 2010 at 11:19 am

Boy are those things cool! I don’t think I’ve ever seen crochet look so modern. It usually tends to look frumpy or retro to me – which is not necessarily a bad thing, but this new twist is pretty brilliant and beautiful. I’m now really looking forward to the day I finish the retro afghan I’ve been working on so that I can try crocheting something a bit more sleek (really? sleek crochet? – Why yes, apparently it is possible to pair the two).

Excellent factioid!
    .-= Lisa´s last blog ..Plastic and Paper =-.

• Reply lisa Walker March 12, 2010 at 11:29 am

yes those lights/light shades are really cool, l have two myself but not as good as those, l just wish they came with a better light bulb. lol. xx
    .-= lisa Walker´s last blog ..Sofa beds settees =-.

• Reply Stacey March 12, 2010 at 12:52 pm

This is probably the 30th awesome home decor website I’ve found through your blog – thank you for bringing such lovely designs to everyone’s attention! I especially love these hanging globes – they remind me of the paper ones you can get at Ikea, but these look so much cozier.
    .-= Stacey´s last blog ..Please don’t name your kid Dweezil =-.

• Reply alison March 13, 2010 at 9:09 am

really, truly stunning. simple, clean, organic design. perfection! thank you for posting about moonbasket!

• Reply Tina March 13, 2010 at 12:17 pm

Wow these are amazing! I never would have thought to make these, I’m still crocheting potholders lol I wonder if they’re a safety hazard though?

• Reply forget.me.knot.weddings March 13, 2010 at 2:10 pm

These are so cool! I so want the lights!
    .-= forget.me.knot.weddings´s last blog ..fabulous florals: inspiration from A. Hana Designs =-.

• Reply lisa :: the red thread March 14, 2010 at 12:12 am

Crochet is one thing I can’t do – and I’d love to. I’m in awe of all things made by crochet.
    These are gorgeous! And what a great fact too!
    .-= lisa :: the red thread´s last blog ..Friday on my mind =-.

• Reply Jill Seidner | Interior Design March 14, 2010 at 5:43 pm

These are so pretty! Love them! So nice to feature a bit of something handmade in interiors.

• Reply lovestuffs March 16, 2010 at 8:13 am

amazing piece – i love black lamp

• Reply Joe Plasterer March 17, 2010 at 7:00 am

I wonder if they can be weaved in a non pourous fiber. Just thinking about being able to dip it into a sink once in a while…

• Reply Dani April 20, 2010 at 10:50 am

You’re right, the shadows are spectacular!

Can be cleaned with an upholstery attachment of a vacuum cleaner..

Thanks for all the wonderful feedback :)
    love the moonbaskets