Moonbasket: Lighting + More!

Oh, oh, oh! This is hot. Moonbasket in South Africa has some mind blowing crochet designs on their website like crochet pendant lamps, cuff bracelets, stools, and votive candles made out of cotton string and jute twine. Cape Town designer and artist Dani Le Roy launched Moonbasket and works alongside business partner Laura Summs to design and make pendants and other home accessories out of mostly natural materials. Stunning!

Moonbasket

So tactile, and very grandma’s house gets a mega modern makeover! And you know what I learned about crochet today that I never once thought about? This.

Crochet is one of the few crafts that cannot be replicated by machine. The unique quality of each handmade item produced becomes the most essential part of its luxury.”

Is that not the coolest factoid ever? I think yes. I mean, it’s like crochet is untouchable, it’s the ultimate handmade product. I really like the simple, modern styles of Moonbasket. What do you think?

(images: moonbasket)

Posted by decor8 in lighting on March 11, 2010

1. Tennille commented
    March 11th, 2010 at 7:14pm

Beautiful! The black light is a perfect modern twist. I love the star-like pattern in the lower left photo. Thanks for introducing us!
    .-= Tennille´s last blog ..Before & After: Window Treatments 3 =-.

2. ashlina commented
    March 11th, 2010 at 7:20pm

would LOVE a lamp light that for my home…
    .-= ashlina´s last blog ..secret of domestic bliss #6…must add jewels =-.

3. MARCE commented
    March 11th, 2010 at 7:22pm

Beautiful crochet idea!
    .-= MARCE´s last blog ..Canastos metálicos =-.

4. Patty commented
    March 11th, 2010 at 7:29pm

I love it!

But I’m a big cleanliness bug. How do it clean it? :(

I agree with crochet being one of those ultimate handmade products. I had a crochet project back at school and its no easy feat. Very tedious but also very interesting. I imagine it would be fascinating to discover how crochet came about.

That aside, the moon baskets have a lot of style and attitude.

5. RealGloss commented
    March 11th, 2010 at 7:29pm

These are simply amazing – who knew crochet could be so awesome!

6. paola commented
    March 11th, 2010 at 7:33pm

And that is why I’m learning to crochet! But thanks for that great factoid. Never knew that and I will now treasure my home-crocheted items all the more…
    .-= paola´s last blog ..Today I Am Mostly… =-.

7. patricia commented
    March 11th, 2010 at 7:33pm

Wow! These are awesome!
    .-= patricia´s last blog ..spring cleaning =-.

8. Liz (madeinlowell) commented
    March 11th, 2010 at 7:42pm

I think this work is gorgeous! I have been completely obsessed with crochet lately so this is really fun to see. Thanks for bringing it to my attention!
    .-= Liz (madeinlowell)´s last blog ..Pincushion Ring – Vanilla mint =-.

9. Sarah commented
    March 11th, 2010 at 11:55pm

Does anyone know the techniques used for those votives?

10. Etincelle commented
    March 12th, 2010 at 12:43am

Truly amazing work! I am gonna get my friend in Cape Town to check it out for me :) and maybe bring me some back as I noticed there is no e-shop.
    .-= Etincelle´s last blog ..Babushka Comfort Doll – Zaza =-.

11. Jennifer commented
    March 12th, 2010 at 12:43am

Wow, I’d never have thought crochet could be so beautiful and modern. It just goes to show that thinking outside the box can result in beautiful things.
    .-= Jennifer´s last blog ..Beautiful Tip – Increase your happiness by keeping a Gratitude Journal =-.

12. Nick commented
    March 12th, 2010 at 12:55am

What do I think? Words cannot describe what I think. They are so elegant in their simplicity.
    What could these people do with macrame! xxN
    .-= Nick´s last blog ..for show =-.

13. Monica commented
    March 12th, 2010 at 3:01am

These are beautiful and I can imagine that they cast a beautiful light. The pendant lights would be lovely in a bedroom.

14. Mitzi Curi commented
    March 12th, 2010 at 6:24am

OK, now I feel like I’ve seen the ultimate crochet art…..I have always preferred crochet over knitting, and I used to make granny squares when I was a kid. I’m going to investigate Moonbasket a little more this morning. Thanks for introducing me to a great resource!
    .-= Mitzi Curi´s last blog ..Flea Market Style Magazine Yoyo Flowers! =-.

15. ivy style33 commented
    March 12th, 2010 at 6:54am

I think they are really amazing….and would love to see them in a relaxed setting by the sea..not that they won’t manage to look stunning in a more urban environment…Moonbasket….a name to write down… : )
    .-= ivy style33´s last blog ..Bemz pillow…&….pimp your reading corner ; ) =-.

16. Lisa commented
    March 12th, 2010 at 11:19am

Boy are those things cool! I don’t think I’ve ever seen crochet look so modern. It usually tends to look frumpy or retro to me – which is not necessarily a bad thing, but this new twist is pretty brilliant and beautiful. I’m now really looking forward to the day I finish the retro afghan I’ve been working on so that I can try crocheting something a bit more sleek (really? sleek crochet? – Why yes, apparently it is possible to pair the two).

Excellent factioid!
    .-= Lisa´s last blog ..Plastic and Paper =-.

17. lisa Walker commented
    March 12th, 2010 at 11:29am

yes those lights/light shades are really cool, l have two myself but not as good as those, l just wish they came with a better light bulb. lol. xx
    .-= lisa Walker´s last blog ..Sofa beds settees =-.

18. Stacey commented
    March 12th, 2010 at 12:52pm

This is probably the 30th awesome home decor website I’ve found through your blog – thank you for bringing such lovely designs to everyone’s attention! I especially love these hanging globes – they remind me of the paper ones you can get at Ikea, but these look so much cozier.
    .-= Stacey´s last blog ..Please don’t name your kid Dweezil =-.

19. alison commented
    March 13th, 2010 at 9:09am

really, truly stunning. simple, clean, organic design. perfection! thank you for posting about moonbasket!

20. Tina commented
    March 13th, 2010 at 12:17pm

Wow these are amazing! I never would have thought to make these, I’m still crocheting potholders lol I wonder if they’re a safety hazard though?

21. forget.me.knot.weddings commented
    March 13th, 2010 at 2:10pm

These are so cool! I so want the lights!
    .-= forget.me.knot.weddings´s last blog ..fabulous florals: inspiration from A. Hana Designs =-.

22. lisa :: the red thread commented
    March 14th, 2010 at 12:12am

Crochet is one thing I can’t do – and I’d love to. I’m in awe of all things made by crochet.
    These are gorgeous! And what a great fact too!
    .-= lisa :: the red thread´s last blog ..Friday on my mind =-.

23. Jill Seidner | Interior Design commented
    March 14th, 2010 at 5:43pm

These are so pretty! Love them! So nice to feature a bit of something handmade in interiors.

24. lovestuffs commented
    March 16th, 2010 at 8:13am

amazing piece – i love black lamp

25. Joe Plasterer commented
    March 17th, 2010 at 7:00am

I wonder if they can be weaved in a non pourous fiber. Just thinking about being able to dip it into a sink once in a while…

26. Dani commented
    April 20th, 2010 at 10:50am

You’re right, the shadows are spectacular!

Can be cleaned with an upholstery attachment of a vacuum cleaner..

Thanks for all the wonderful feedback :)
    love the moonbaskets