Good Morning Monday!

Good morning and happy Monday to you! It’s a new week and with that we have the possibility of new beginnings. My week will be crazy, as I will be on the radio (FFN) and in the April issue of Myself magazine that will hit newsstands on Wednesday (3/17) and I’m excited (and a bit anxious!) about both! I also have several meetings concerning two projects I’m working on that I can’t wait to share with you — I think I’ll be able to announce one later this week and the other possibly next week. The news is quite big so I’m eager to share it.

Forsythia

By the way, these are the forsythia branches from last week (remember this post?). I decided to place them in a vintage ceramic vase and hang ceramic acorns from them. Here it’s common to have these branches in the home this time of the year with eggs hanging from them. I decided to do my own thing and change it up a bit.

Also, in case you’ve been wondering, we’ve not found a place to live yet but I’m hoping to have good news in the months ahead because living full-time in a vacation apartment in two rooms is a challenge with both my husband and I working from home. Thankfully we get along well – but space is really an issue! I also feel ready now to start replacing all of my furniture that I sold to move over from the states. I had some nice mid century pieces and a beautiful sofa and well — lots of things that I miss! And while IKEA is great, my current apartment was only meant to be for our vacations here so I filled it with rather inexpensive finds at first but now that I’m here full-time I want some vintage pieces again, and a really comfy deep sofa…. and wallpaper and drapes! I’m ready to plan and decorate a space as I feel as though we’re still in limbo. I have 50% of my belongings still in the cellar which is also a problem — I don’t want my art and books and everything else to get musty so we’re eager to move. The excitement of finding a nice flat though is thrilling — you know, the thrill of the hunt!

Right. So that’s how things are for me. What about you? How is everything going?

(image: holly becker)

Posted by decor8 in uncategorized on March 15, 2010

1. julie commented
    March 15th, 2010 at 5:20am

I went to a workshop with Shannon Fricke last Friday, it was lovely to escape to her world for the day. She is so passionate about decorating and such a warm and genuine person. Very inspiring. You would have LOVED it Holly. Ooh and she had some lovely ceramics there too.
    .-= julie´s last blog ..anyone for high tea? =-.

2. Iva commented
    March 15th, 2010 at 5:25am

I hope you will find the best way to get out of this situation soon, I know how long you’ve been searching for a place. Fingers crossed!

I got a small (less than 50sq.m) apartment about a year ago. It was fully furnished and although I replaced some of the furniture, I still don’t have everything I need. Since I’m a student and well, broke, I’ve decided to make most of the things myself – a bookcase, some shelves, I already made a fitted wardrobe and I am repainting my great grandma’s cabinet. I also have a mattress I don’t use and I’m designing a bench/sofa for it. That will have to do the trick for now :)
    .-= Iva´s last blog ..Inspiration: Stellan Herner =-.

3. Amie McCracken commented
    March 15th, 2010 at 5:44am

Hang in there, you’ll find the right place. And then you’ll look back and this interim of suitcase living won’t look so bad.

I’m excited because this week starts my break from German classes, which means I’ve got the time to work on setting up my etsy shop again. Yay!

4. Michael - Innkeeper commented
    March 15th, 2010 at 5:57am

‘possibility of new beginnings’ … i like that. it’s exactly what i needed to read this morning.

good luck with all your projects!

love the forsythia too! this time of year i like to sneak outside, cut a few branchs and place it in warm water inside. give it a couple days and it will bloom! it’s like ‘forcing’ spring. and the yellow color is just too beautiful!
    .-= Michael – Innkeeper´s last blog ..sweet yet spicy… =-.

5. Jane commented
    March 15th, 2010 at 5:57am

The acorns hanging from the branches is such a sweet idea but I really LOVE the village print in the background on the left – where is it from?
    .-= Jane´s last blog ..Reaching New Heights: Decorating the Ceiling =-.

6. frauheuberg commented
    March 15th, 2010 at 5:58am

Good morning, Holly…Thats sounds amazing.Hopefully i can get an issue on wedensday…;)…and your radio podcast is on…? Would be great to hear it! I knew FFN. I heard it when i lived in the north few years ago. So would be a journey into the past…;)…Here in the south everything is allright. I´m still consume the last 7 weeks. Thanks again. It was so fantastic. I miss it a lot. And i´m looking forward for the amazing and exciting projects which you want share. Would be very interesting?So wish you a lovley monday and a sucessful week. And mabye you can tell me the date of this podcast.Thanks and a big hug…;)…
    .-= frauheuberg´s last blog ..rather have a little break… =-.

7. Indie Mom and the Reluctant Banker commented
    March 15th, 2010 at 6:08am

I love your little still life! Here in Denmark we do the same thing with hanging eggs off braches, and I think it would be a fun project for me and my daughter. Where are you ceramic acorns from?
    .-= Indie Mom and the Reluctant Banker´s last blog ..Weekend pictures =-.

8. Karen Cheung commented
    March 15th, 2010 at 6:24am

It must be difficult sometimes, but so exciting at the same time, to be in your situation. My husband and I are also about to decamp from our beautiful little cottage and move, fingers crossed, to North Wales. We will be looking for a renovation project and I am both terrified and excited. I wish you the best of luck finding a home – dreaming of a new place to decorate really is the most exciting thing, isn’t it?

Love those acorns!
    .-= Karen Cheung´s last blog ..One Hundred Days – no. 59, 60 =-.

9. Silke Schmidt commented
    March 15th, 2010 at 6:32am

That sounds interesting, looking forward to see you in “Myself”, have a good week,
    all the best
    Silke
    .-= Silke Schmidt´s last blog ..Schalgenuss pur….. =-.

10. Verity commented
    March 15th, 2010 at 6:59am

Congratulations on the radio and magazine! And I can’t wait to hear your big news!

And I can relate – we have been living in Istanbul for 2 years and, because we never decided how long we are staying for we never really wanted to spend money or too much time on furniture etc – so here we still are with our ikea couch and yellow walls! I’m looking forward to properly settling in somewhere!
    .-= Verity´s last blog ..Sneak Peek! =-.

11. Gosia commented
    March 15th, 2010 at 7:25am

I know the pain. A family of 4 in 2 rooms, less than 60 sq.ms…. but it turned out there can be some advantages of such a situation too:
    1. I learnt I need to keep my place unclattered ( otherwise it would be unbearable to live there )
    2. I discovered a pleasure of authoring a blog ( which I treat as my ‘extra room’ )
    3. we tend to spend a lot of time outdoors;-)

ps. Holly, I do like your picture. I’m going to have some decorated branches at home just before Easter (as every year)
    .-= Gosia´s last blog ..Do you journal? =-.

12. glendachilders commented
    March 15th, 2010 at 7:41am

I love new beginnings, too!

Moving to a new home is such a great new beginning. I love everything about the process – looking for the home, beginning my new home notebook, sorting and tossing things that won’t go in the new home, hunting for new things that will . . . I even like packing.

It will be fun to see where you end up (praying it is soon for you!)
    .-= glendachilders´s last blog ..Gg: on Liberty of London (part two) =-.

13. Laura commented
    March 15th, 2010 at 7:42am

I’m in a limbo of my own currently: I’m in England, my boyfriend is in Canada and we’re waiting for the slow wheels of beauracracy to turn as he awaits his EU Passport so that he can live over here for good. It’s been about 2 months of limbo now, and I’m trying to keep busy and positive and enjoy the signs of spring all around…

14. Enila commented
    March 15th, 2010 at 8:04am

Happy monday too ! Good luck for radio & magazine & your projects, oOohh you’re so busy !it’s great :-) I love your blog, a source of inspiration, thx for that. i hope you will find a place to live ! (il me tarde de voir ce que tu feras dedans) i love the acorns, i made it too in ceramic, but just the bottom not the top ( hum my english is so bad sorry)
    So good day !
    .-= Enila´s last blog ..Dans la vie, il y a des cactus … =-.

15. bloesem commented
    March 15th, 2010 at 8:25am

you will do great! good luck with everything and can’t wait to hear the big news :)
    .-= bloesem´s last blog ..going green =-.

16. PrettyLovely commented
    March 15th, 2010 at 8:52am

I can’t wait to hear about your exciting news Holly! Congrats about the magazine too….

You are always up to the most wonderful things!

xx,
    Samantha
    .-= PrettyLovely´s last blog ..Classic =-.

17. The Perfect Palette commented
    March 15th, 2010 at 9:07am

new beginnings are the best.
    .-= The Perfect Palette´s last blog ..HAPPY VALENTINES DAY!! =-.

18. riddhi commented
    March 15th, 2010 at 9:18am

Good luck with for your new/fresh phase!its just so exciting to be able to decorate each small project @ a new home!!!!enjoy!!looking forward to your projects this week…
    Well,i just read your creativity series –its awesome and i had to quote it in my blog….do check it out at -thegreenelephantonline.blogspot.com

xx
    riddhi

19. Melissa de la Fuente commented
    March 15th, 2010 at 9:59am

That photograph is gorgoeus hun, such excellent styling. I am SO excited to hear your news & so happy for you(whatever it may be) I hope you have a fantastic week, I know it is exciting to search( but, so very hard to wait, right?) I wish you luck with that dear Holly.
    xo
    Melis
    .-= Melissa de la Fuente´s last blog ..Monday: Inspired by a photograph =-.

20. // Sarah commented
    March 15th, 2010 at 10:03am

Ick. Good luck with the hunt for a home… we were in “limbo” forever too… you’ll find something fabulous!

*Love* the branches in the vase. We actually did this in lieu of a Christmas tree last year (as we were in limbo and had very little room), and decorated it with little lights & handmade decorations.

Best of luck!
    .-= // Sarah´s last blog ..// Music Monday: Coeur de Pirate & Ben Sollee =-.

21. Lara commented
    March 15th, 2010 at 10:09am

Dear Holly,
    I’ve been reading your blog daily for such a long time, but never have the courage to write a comment. I come from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil and live in Braunschweig (about 40 miles away from Hannover). Would you mind to let me know when you’re going to be on FFN? I really would love to listen to you! Your words & pictures are always such an inspiration. I truly thank you for doing all this.
    My very best wishes!

22. manon commented
    March 15th, 2010 at 10:10am

I know you said its vintage. but where did you get the acrons and the vase from? love them.

23. Sara LeeAnn commented
    March 15th, 2010 at 10:40am

Congratulations on the mag interview and FFN! Sometimes I wish I lived in a two bedroom vacation apartment, anywhere but in Wyoming… but, much luck to you in your home search! I adore the cermaic acorns hanging from your branches. They’re darling!

24. Piper commented
    March 15th, 2010 at 10:46am

I love that statement…possibility of new beginnings. I needed that this morning as I start my work week, so thanks!! And of course now I’m dying to hear this great news you have to share…sounds exciting! btw, love what you’ve done with the branches. I like that you changed it up a bit from what’s traditionally done. Our forsythia is just getting ready to bloom so you gave me some ideas for that now!
    .-= Piper´s last blog ..{scarlet beautiful photography} =-.

25. Masha commented
    March 15th, 2010 at 10:49am

Happy Monday to you too! I hope you find a new place soon…because I can’t wait for you to share with us the decorating process. :)
    .-= Masha´s last blog ..Whimsical Pottery =-.

26. laura trevey commented
    March 15th, 2010 at 11:21am

Good luck hunting and Happy Monday!
    .-= laura trevey´s last blog ..Beautiful Sponsor: Once Upon a Paper =-.

27. small sweet steps commented
    March 15th, 2010 at 11:36am

wow! It all sounds so exciting!!!! Enjoy every minute of it.
    .-= small sweet steps´s last blog ..I feel good…cough, cough. =-.

28. Sandra commented
    March 15th, 2010 at 12:04pm

Holly,where did you get the picture on the left? Love it!

29. rachael anderson commented
    March 15th, 2010 at 12:31pm

beautiful . love the little houses print in the background. so sweet.
    .-= rachael anderson´s last blog ..Today i love =-.

30. emily @ thirtyeight20 commented
    March 15th, 2010 at 1:28pm

Congrats on your press, and I hope you find your new place soon! I think I understand your feelings a little. My hubby and I spent the past year living out of 2 bedrooms and a bath during our renovation. We FINALLY finished our living room 2 weeks ago, and we feel like different people! We have room to stretch our legs, and we are finally able to get serious about long-term furniture and decorating. (We still have no kitchen, but we’ll get there!)

It’s all an adventure and a lesson in creating a “home” amid imperfect conditions at your “house.” I’ve scolded myself many times for pining for things I think I need in order to be comfortable… It’s been a hard lesson that I’m still learning, but one I needed to learn — selfish as I am! I hope living outside your comfort zone will make you appreciate your home all the more when you finally find the one!
    .-= emily @ thirtyeight20´s last blog ..Bedroom Refresh =-.

31. thedoodlegirl commented
    March 15th, 2010 at 1:48pm

Wow. Sounds like you are not slowing down one bit! That’s so great. I’m excited and happy for you in your latest projects! How very cool. Beautiful branches, too! Happy Monday!
    .-= thedoodlegirl´s last blog ..It’s Just Another Mustache Monday… =-.

32. vicki (simply hue) commented
    March 15th, 2010 at 2:00pm

Wow, such exciting news, Holly!!! Can’t wait to hear the other exciting stuff you’re going to share with us. :)

I’m going outside in a minute to trim some forsythia blossoms…thanks for the nudge. I love them with the ceramic acorns! Do you mind sharing where you found them? I’m hoping they’re on Etsy.

Have a great week!

Btw, featured Haus Maus on my blog today. xo

33. Laura commented
    March 15th, 2010 at 2:17pm

Hey Holly — Looking at my forsythia right now… in full bloom. It gives hope. I’m one of the many caught by the weekend’s rain… A River Runs Through was a great movie… it also describes my basement!! A weekend of floods…so Monday is the day of mops, contractors and fingers crossed!! I’d be tempted to strike a match to the place, but it’s too wet and probably wouldn’t burn!!!

Love my forsythia though!!!!

34. Shari Berkowitz commented
    March 15th, 2010 at 2:30pm

Hang in there. I, too, am in limbo living in an apartment that was meant to be temporary while 95% of my things are in storage about 30 minutes away. I have glorious home furnishings from my life in Beverly Hills and am now in Westchester awaiting a move into Manhattan. I share this with you because I get a low feeling waiting to move again and long for my wonderful personal belongings! When I read your blog, it helped to know that someone else knows how I feel. I wish for you to find your great new home soon and decorate it to the nines in exactly your desire! I’ll do the same for me!

Until then, we both have to enjoy the simplicity of our current spaces and the anticipation of what is around the corner. Patience to us both!

35. mina commented
    March 15th, 2010 at 2:40pm

My mantle looks so similar to this picture, here’s a quick look: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mina-depuis/4436285420/
    I have peach tree branches though.
    .-= mina´s last blog ..Coney Island Carnivale – Fine Art Photography 8 x 8 – Ready to ship =-.

36. cristin @ simplified bee commented
    March 15th, 2010 at 3:20pm

Congrats on the radio gig!

xo,
    cristin
    .-= cristin @ simplified bee´s last blog ..Springtime Jewelry Giveaway from Blydesign =-.

37. Melanie commented
    March 15th, 2010 at 3:56pm

Ooohh… I am feeling the same way. I am also in limbo and looking for a place while waiting for my boyfriend to move here from the East Coast.

But among all the chaos, I discovered my true calling last week! It’s funny, because it is a career that I left as a comment for you once about dream careers. Now, I am starting to think it can be a reality. Thanks ~ Holly!

PS Luv the vase & branches.

38. decor8 commented
    March 15th, 2010 at 4:31pm

Hi everyone! Thanks for liking my stuff. :) The city letterpress print is of San Francisco and is by Lab Partners — http://www.etsy.com/shop/labpartners
    The New York photo is “Fake NYC” by Natasha Mileshina and is available here: http://www.etsy.com/shop/bubbo
    The acorns were a gift from a friend when I moved, but I think she bought them in Somerville, MA at Grand but you can get them online at Satinbox here:

39. julie commented
    March 15th, 2010 at 5:32pm

Hello Holly,
    that sounds really exciting. I´ll definitely be hitting the newsstand on wednesday and I´m absolutely certain you´ll be a radio success – you have a lovely engaging talking voice as we BYWers all know!
    .-= julie´s last blog ..5 I LOVE… =-.

40. Meghan commented
    March 15th, 2010 at 5:51pm

Holly,

Good luck with finding a place! I felt better myself after reading your note as we were just told by our landlord that “he’s selling the place” and have to vacate. I am also 6 months pregnant, so the timing is interesting to say the least! However, I feel like you that maybe we will finally have a place to call our own and MAKE our own. I find it all very exciting though….dreaming of a new space to design and make better……

41. Bobbi commented
    March 15th, 2010 at 8:05pm

As much as I love my husband, if he worked from home everyday I’d probably have to shoot myself. If we only had two rooms, I’d shoot both of us!
    .-= Bobbi´s last blog ..My New Love…er, coffee pot =-.

42. Diana commented
    March 16th, 2010 at 9:35am

That vase is perfect for the forsythia! The branches I brought in from my yard just started blooming last night – so pretty.
    .-= Diana´s last blog ..Swooning… =-.

43. Carly commented
    March 16th, 2010 at 1:43pm

I am continually stunned at the way white walls are made to look chic, yet homey this season…

Too gorgeous.

Carly

44. lush bella commented
    March 16th, 2010 at 2:27pm

i know you’ll both find something very soon holly! have a wonderful week!

45. Ester commented
    March 17th, 2010 at 2:10am

Hi Holly!
    When are you going to be on radio? I would like to listen!

46. decor8 commented
    March 17th, 2010 at 3:18am

Ester – I’m not sure yet! I am going to the radio station later this week but I think it is to record the session — I doubt it will be a live broadcast but I’m not sure honestly. I hope it’s not live!!!

47. juliet commented
    March 19th, 2010 at 4:38am

Hi! Where would one find an adorable apple like yours? It is just wonderful!