People

Vicente Wolf – Why Blog?

March 23, 2010

I had one of those “Like, wow!” moments during lunch today when the Vicente Wolf requested my friendship on Facebook. I mean, Vicente Wolf? Hello! This man is a style icon, a design guru, a top designer! Here is a glimpse of his work from his portfolio — such sophistication and beauty, and so well-edited. His books are classy and he is soon to release a third, Lifting the Curtain on Design, which sounds like a great title — I’m officially intrigued.

Vicente Wolf - Why Blog?

If you’d like to keep up with his work, you may visit his blog where he reveals great design and style tips. I really enjoyed reading his perspective when it comes to blogging in his post, Why Blog, where he reveals why he bothers to keep a public journal and where some of his readers chime in with their viewpoints too. I always find conversations like these interesting because I think we each have our reasons for writing online but in the end it always comes back to a desire to share what one is passionate about and to attract like-minded individuals for discussion and ideas — and even friendship. It was interesting to read the views of a top designer and author like Vicente though and I think you’ll enjoy his post on this topic too.

—  —  —  —  —  —  —  —  —  —  —  —  —  —  —  —  —  —  —  —  —  —  —  —  —  —  —  —  —  —  —  — —

P.S. Etsy Take Five Tuesday is taking a day off and will resume next week on Tuesday. I was going to write it today but my friend just called me — she read my blog and saw that I’m looking for a desk and found the perfect one for me at the vintage shop downtown so I have to run down there to see if it’s still available! And then a group of us are going to see Alice in English as the local theater is only showing it in English today — so I have to run! I hope this doesn’t sound irresponsible of me, but living in a foreign country means you must see films in English as they come to your city, it’s a big event for me now! :)

(images: vicente wolf)

39 Comments

• Reply Lydia March 23, 2010 at 8:29 am

Alice in Wonderland is TOTALLY worth running out of your house for!!! i hope you loved it as much as i did. when it was over i looked at my husband and said can’t we just sit here and watch it again! hope the desk works out for you.

• Reply Lori March 23, 2010 at 8:41 am

well edited is right. it’s takes true talent to be able to combine white with texture to so easily come up with something brilliant. Love the table!
    .-= Lori´s last blog ..is it just me??? =-.

• Reply carrie leber March 23, 2010 at 8:54 am

he’s one of the few designers who really writes an interesting blog with lots of personal insight and interesting bits. Love him.
    .-= carrie leber´s last blog ..Himalayan Trading Post in InTouch Weekly =-.

• Reply Brigitte March 23, 2010 at 8:57 am

Holly – It’s fun to see you a bit starstruck, when you inspire so many of us!

Coincidentally, I posted on why I blog in a roundabout way this morning. It’s a post that’s been floating around since I started my blog, but I finally put it out there. I’m going to go read the post you linked to right now.
    .-= Brigitte´s last blog ..Lazy Days and Miscellanea =-.

• Reply Anke March 23, 2010 at 9:16 am

Hehe, I used to be the same about cinema because I loathe dubbed films! Enojy :D

• Reply Ishtar Olivera March 23, 2010 at 10:02 am

run! I hope its the table your looking for! and have fun watching “Alice” : D
    .-= Ishtar Olivera´s last blog ..Hello Spring!- Hola Primavera! =-.

• Reply Nuit March 23, 2010 at 10:19 am

I love Vicenete Wolf… and I am sooooooo glad you found the table! enjoy Alice!!!! I am looking forward to seeing it this week :)
    .-= Nuit´s last blog ..My Kohler lover =-.

• Reply laura trevey March 23, 2010 at 10:42 am

Off to check out his blog!

• Reply frauheuberg March 23, 2010 at 11:18 am

of course…enjoy your evening and hopefully its the right desk for you…;)…
    .-= frauheuberg´s last blog ..Magical haberdashery by "Maison Sajou" =-.

• Reply mijk March 23, 2010 at 11:35 am

Well have your friends shop for the perfect desk is quite a good reason to blog ;)
    .-= mijk´s last blog ..she wondered =-.

• Reply thedoodlegirl March 23, 2010 at 11:35 am

WOW! You lead a very exciting life!
    .-= thedoodlegirl´s last blog ..A Flower Garland =-.

• Reply Erin March 23, 2010 at 12:01 pm

I’m a huge fan of Vicente’s work as a designer and I’ve become an avid reader of his blog. I love that even though he has reached celebrity status as as designer he is still willing to converse with his fans and fellow designers on a very approachable level.

• Reply Debra March 23, 2010 at 12:15 pm

Holly you go and have lots of fun Vincente Wolf’s designs are stunning I can’t wait to look at his blog. I hope you like and get the desk when you get it and if you get it show us some pictures.
    .-= Debra´s last blog ..Red Apple and Green Flag Vintage Crate Label Canvas Collage =-.

• Reply juliette March 23, 2010 at 12:17 pm

oh do report on Alice and Wonderland! It’s only playing in English at 11pm here in our town and at this point I’m not dying to see it enough (even in English) to stay up so late. I am a wuss, aren’t I?! ha! Tell me if it’s worth it!
    .-= juliette´s last blog ..Roadtrip 2010: dream of Copenhagen =-.

• Reply cristin @ simplified bee March 23, 2010 at 1:27 pm

Love that man too!

xo,
    cristin
    .-= cristin @ simplified bee´s last blog ..Sweet Pink & Yellow Baby Girl Nursery by House of Ruby =-.

• Reply julia March 23, 2010 at 1:38 pm

enjoy the movies!! We’ll be here when you get back
    .-= julia´s last blog ..Envy =-.

• Reply Jennifer March 23, 2010 at 3:31 pm

who could not LOVE that first photo!! OMG, I just adore how the Tulip chairs are a complete contrast to the rustic table….how it just WORKS!! The room has such an incredible feel!! Thanks for sharing!

• Reply Jennifer March 23, 2010 at 3:32 pm

the the first photo…OMG! What a great feeling room…I sould so live there!

• Reply Raina Kattelson March 23, 2010 at 4:01 pm

Vincente Wolf! How cool is that!!! Way to go Holly. I can’t wait to see his new book.
    .-= Raina Kattelson´s last blog ..spring is officially here!! =-.

• Reply Jen March 23, 2010 at 4:06 pm

I love the first picture where he combined both rustic and modern design — its really stunning!

• Reply My Owl Barn March 23, 2010 at 4:09 pm

I didn’t know him before today but I am off to his website now! Have a great day!
    .-= My Owl Barn´s last blog ..Lovely Things =-.

• Reply Bee March 23, 2010 at 4:25 pm

Not irresponsible at all! Alice is totally worth it. The colors are to-die-for. And I thought the girl who played Alice was phenomenal.

I love Vincente Wolf, I didn’t know he has a blog, thanks for the tip!!
    .-= Bee´s last blog ..Research Find of the Day: Foxe’s Book of Martyrs Frontispiece =-.

• Reply emily @ thirtyeight20 March 23, 2010 at 6:04 pm

I hope the desk works out! That first image of the dining table is close to my vision for my own dining room — which is currently gutted and barricaded from the rest of the house… but when it’s finally finished I really want a rustic farm table with sleek white chairs. My husband can’t quite envision it, so I’m totally showing him this photo when he gets home!
    .-= emily @ thirtyeight20´s last blog ..Tree Ring Art =-.

• Reply Jane March 23, 2010 at 6:43 pm

I read quite a few blogs now and I think you’re one of the hardest working people out there. Consistent, interesting posts and lots of them. Yeah! Go and enjoy! Hope your desk works out.

• Reply kristina March 23, 2010 at 6:57 pm

oh goodness, that wood table is fantastic! Pieces like that are practically impossible to find at affordable prices. I’m going to make a table like that one day.
    holly, thanks for having such impeccable taste. you are a great source of inspiration for me as an artist/designer.

• Reply Julie March 23, 2010 at 9:00 pm

Oooooh, I absolutely LOVE the table and chair combo!
    .-= Julie´s last blog ..Lovely Clusters Blogger List! =-.

• Reply Sigrid March 23, 2010 at 9:15 pm

Thanks Holly for posting this. I found the “why blog” link really great. I’ve taken the last few months off of blogging; it started as a month off, and then a loss in my life has continued the hiatus. Daily I think about if I want to return, and why should I – and it comes down to the connections I have made. For me it is finding that balance between my ‘computer’ friends and spending time with real live people, one can get something from both.

I enjoy this blog, but really Haus Maus is the most fun for me ~ I have always dreamed of doing what you are doing. Thanks for the post and thanks for letting us live vicariously!
    .-= Sigrid´s last blog ..and begin… =-.

• Reply Diana March 23, 2010 at 9:18 pm

LOL, enjoy Alice, a girls gotta do what a girls gotta do! PS, and what Alice and the gang do is amazing “) Totally love the oversized rustic table, I so wish I had room for something like that in my home. One day…
    .-= Diana´s last blog ..From the Gift Bag… =-.

• Reply Brenda Biondo March 23, 2010 at 10:14 pm

Thanks for letting us know about Vicente’s blog — it’s really interesting.

• Reply Vicente March 24, 2010 at 8:47 am

Thanks for the kind comments, Holly! Happy to be a part of your blog world both here and on Facebook.

Vicente

• Reply decor8 March 24, 2010 at 1:19 pm

Vicente – What an honor to see you here. I’m a bit starstruck and speechless… but thank you very much for stopping by!

Holly

• Reply gwendolyn March 24, 2010 at 1:08 pm

holly – vicente wolf??? see? you are awesome! and so is he! you are a great impact on the world
    xxoogg
    .-= gwendolyn´s last blog ..january =-.

• Reply Jolette March 24, 2010 at 2:31 pm

Congratulations on becoming famous, Holly! You deserve it – your blog is beautiful and fascinating, and always a pleasure to read. I absolutely love that wooden table, and the wooden cathedral tower in the second photo.
    .-= Jolette´s last blog ..Feel free to judge these books by their covers =-.

• Reply alex*strawberry lemonade March 24, 2010 at 2:52 pm

I LOVE that you are taking a day for yourself!! Yippeee! well deserved Holly.
    xox

How was Alice??
    .-= alex*strawberry lemonade´s last blog ..Vintage Ephemera—With a Rebel Yell! =-.

• Reply christine March 24, 2010 at 11:09 pm

Wolfe’s assistant monitors his facebook account, and friend suggestions turn into friend requests. He has lots and loves connecting in the cyberworld! Afterall, the facebook design world is not that big!! So sorry, it is nothing personal that he requested your friend request! But be free to post something on his wall. He may respond!

• Reply decor8 March 25, 2010 at 4:35 am

Christine: Oh thank you for clarifying that — then I guess it was his assistant who commented on this post then too. Does his assistant always write his blog, I wonder?

• Reply Decor Arts Now March 25, 2010 at 8:50 am

Vincente’s blog is the best. Truly informative for designers who would love to know how it is done at the “top.” Lynn

• Reply jack March 25, 2010 at 1:07 pm

yes, i also heard vincente has a facebook assistant as well as he is so busy. but he does monitor his profile and pops up here and there, as he did here (unless someone was playing a joke on you!) welcome!

• Reply decor8 March 25, 2010 at 1:56 pm

Jack – You keep commenting using different names (Jack, Christine, Vanessa and Fannie) but I can see you are the same person. No need to hide, you can show your true identity – I do here every day! :)