Happy Weekend!

Did you have a nice week? Was it a productive one or do you feel a bit behind? Let’s make a deal. Whether you had a good week or a not-so-good one let’s agree to make this weekend great, okay? Find some time to play with your children, mend a hem, watch a film, paint something pretty, doodle in your journal… but let’s all carve out some time to give something back to ourselves and to be kind and caring to those we love, maybe even a little extra. I will organize my little house as living in such a small temporary space takes constant editing — the moment I have extra things around it starts to feel as though the walls are closing in!

daydream

I can’t wait until we find a permanent place to live but for now we must continue searching and exercising patience, something I don’t have much of so I assume this is good training for me. He who holds his breath the longest wins, or so the German expression goes. I personally think that he who holds his breath the longest turns blue and collapses! ha ha! And that is sometimes how I feel as I’m a bit obsessed with this whole house hunt. But this past week I’ve decided to just let go and make the best of my current home until a better one comes along. I plan to do a lot of measuring this weekend because I know I could be utilizing this space much better than I am and since it could be months before we find a place, even a year, I need to still live my life in the interim so I’m planning to do some shopping for a few new pieces that will better organize our nest.

I also plan to spend time with my friends and to enjoy the final weekend in March reflecting on the winter behind me and the spring ahead. April should be a relatively low-key month for me, I have plenty of work to do but nothing crazy but then once May rolls around I will be running non-stop until November at least and I’ll be going into detail later on what I’m up to in the months ahead but it will include travel and lots of weekend spent working so I’m going to bask in the still of April and enjoy every drop — because it won’t stay calm for long. I recently signed on to a spa nearby where I’ll go in April for the month — I won’t be staying there but simply visiting for a few hours in the early morning to exercise, take a sauna, lay on the deck and read (if the weather permits) and do some yoga. April for me is all about restoration and building up my health and energy so that I can be 100% come May.

You know what I did the other day? I bought some beautiful little olive trees for my windows to celebrate spring and now I’m on the hunt for some kitchen things… a blender, a hot water “cooker” as they are called here, and I need a few flower pots for my pretty trees. So in addition to organizing things, I plan to do a little shopping in the morning at the flea market and also in the city.

What will you do this weekend? I do hope you enjoy yourself. I’ll see you on Monday…

(image: holly becker for decor8)

Posted by decor8 in uncategorized on March 26, 2010

1. cathie commented
    March 26th, 2010 at 3:21pm

thanks for sharing that… i have similar things on my mind!

my husband & i were just saying last night before bed, that we have been both been so busy & consumed with our ambitions & goals & responsibilities, that we’re forgetting to rest & just enjoy each other. so this weekend, we’ll be taking sunday afternoon & evening to walk around together at a park, read some good thought-provoking books, and just be together. :]

2. decor8 commented
    March 26th, 2010 at 3:28pm

Cathie that sounds like a great Sunday! :)

3. Brigitte commented
    March 26th, 2010 at 3:38pm

Your weekend sounds lovely.

I’ll be helping the husband build a wall, having brunch with an old friend that’s moved to another state and implementing those ideas you gave me for my blog! I’m quite looking forward to all of it…albeit a bit nervous about the construction project.
    .-= Brigitte´s last blog ..These Look How Candy Tastes =-.

4. enna commented
    March 26th, 2010 at 3:49pm

Did you get the Tchibo Wasserkocher?
    Enjoy your weekend, Frau Becker!

5. Katja commented
    March 26th, 2010 at 3:52pm

We are right in the middle of a great makeover in our livingroom … new paint, new floor, new everything :-) I will be renovating all days long.

Where are you searching for your house? Only Hannover or within a wider radius? We live about an hour away from Hannover (and also from Hamburg; near Uelzen) and all around here are many wonderful houses offered. They may require more ore less renovation, but the prices are low. And it is very countrified, if you are looking for something in this line :-)
    [sry for bad english – lessons are far, far away in time]
    .-= Katja´s last blog ..Baubotschaft II =-.

6. decor8 commented
    March 26th, 2010 at 3:57pm

Enna love — no, I found 3 others that I’m seriously considering. Two are from ONE Kitchen and the other is at Kaufhof. I don’t know…

7. claudine hellmuth commented
    March 26th, 2010 at 4:17pm

wishing you well on apartment hunting. We have to find a new place in DC this summer and I am not looking forward to the stress!! xxoxox
    .-= claudine hellmuth´s last blog ..illustration friday: rescue =-.

8. Flavia commented
    March 26th, 2010 at 4:29pm

Holly, I am in a similar boat. My husband and I are growing out of our small condo but have to stay put for a while. So this weekend we are starting a few projects to give us more space and better organization – to make the most of the condo and make us happy while we are here. I feel you on the constant editing! Happy weekend to you!
    .-= Flavia´s last blog ..From the Inspiration Files =-.

9. Karling commented
    March 26th, 2010 at 5:18pm

I’d love to see pics of your olive trees in your windows! I can’t picture little ones…over here, olive trees are huge! Have a beautiful weekend holly x

10. Emily commented
    March 26th, 2010 at 5:24pm

“I need to still live my life in the interim”

YES! Since I’ve lived in the last couple of places for a year or less, I often find that people are telling me, “Don’t buy more stuff you’ll just have to move” and “Yeah, but you only have a few more months here though, so it’s not really worth it.” But it is worth it! Life should not be lived waiting for the next thing, even though that sometimes seems like the more “reasonable” or “realistic” thing to do. Your space should make you happy now. Making a big monetary investment is a matter of personal preference and situation, but making an emotional investment in your space is always worth it, I think.

(did I mention that I’m probably moving in May and have been battling with the same questions?)
    .-= Emily´s last blog ..a new view =-.

11. Clare commented
    March 26th, 2010 at 5:55pm

wow this is such great advice. I need to get some work done this weekend, but I will definitely indulge in some guilt-free me time. In fact just tonight I had a bath and read a book. Something I haven’t done in a long time.
    Good luck with your house hunt. The spa treats sound amazing, so jealous!
    .-= Clare´s last blog ..New Blog Buttons =-.

12. Ingrid commented
    March 26th, 2010 at 10:04pm

We kicked off our weekend with pancakes for dinner! Why wait ’til breakfast. Love, love your beautiful blog!
    .-= Ingrid´s last blog ..Pancakes on the brain =-.

13. ruth commented
    March 27th, 2010 at 1:54am

Do hope you have a fabulous time, love the idea of a hot water cooker – a kettle?
    .-= ruth´s last blog ..folksy Friday =-.

14. Stina commented
    March 27th, 2010 at 5:18am

Excellent way of thinking about your apartment, Holly. I’m in a similar situation. I want to move at the end of this year or possibly early 2011 and I already catch myself thinking thoughts like, “Don’t buy that shelf, you have no idea if you can take it with you to the new apartment” when in reality it’s almost a whole year until I move! So I try to live more in the present.
    .-= Stina´s last blog ..Es tönen die Lieder, der Frühling kehrt wieder =-.

15. Beth Perry commented
    March 27th, 2010 at 6:14am

good luck with the house hunting….I know what you mean in regards to the impatient part. I am so sick of the apt we live in, I could just spit. haha
    But, our lease isn’t up until August and we are going to start looking next month.
    this week was very productive….emotionally for me. Got alot of things out, did some reflecting and made some great decisions.

this weekend? well, so glad you asked! lol did a crop last night and going back today at my LSS. so here’s to a wonderful weekend!
    Oh and that is a gorgeous pic up there! i would love to see more photos of your home.
    have a great weekend!
    B
    .-= Beth Perry´s last blog ..inspring me this week….. =-.

16. Barefoot Liz commented
    March 27th, 2010 at 7:30am

This morning, I plan on going to a work friends house and picking up some of her unwanted items. Hoping to get some useful things!
    I may also go to the fabric store to start planning lined curtains for my son’s room. I’m going for something super easy. Wondering if I can get away with no sew curtains.

17. La Pintoreta commented
    March 27th, 2010 at 8:54am

Your blog it’s very nice an so cute….i love it…kisses

18. Wall Decor Guy commented
    March 27th, 2010 at 9:39am

We’ll be working on our RV. The kids are gone and we’re almost ready to sell our big house for something smaller – and with wheels!

19. julie commented
    March 27th, 2010 at 10:07am

I bought a “water cooker” last week – the Kenwood Eon and I really like that it has no black plastic on it as most do.
    Your April plan sounds great, I´m curious to hear what´s up in Hollyland in the near future.
    I´ll be heading outside tomorrow, come rain or shine and in the evening it´s family and friends for Sunday dinner ( and I´ll make my first mousse au chocolat!)
    Have a lovely weekend!
    juliex
    .-= julie´s last blog ..Week Three: Letting Spring spring! =-.

20. Jennifer commented
    March 27th, 2010 at 12:10pm

What a lovely post!

I spent last weekend weeding out the pantry and cleaning out the fridge. I am delivering some floral centerpieces today for various parties (I work for a florist-I deliver and do plant maintenance).

I plan to do more organizing this week/weekend and I’m in the process of reading Ruth Reichl’s “Tender at The Bone”.

Have a fabulous weekend-and I hope you find just the right items to make your temporary space feel more like home.

21. Sarah @ Natural History (was Passementerie) commented
    March 27th, 2010 at 1:55pm

Well, my plan *had* been to take the weekend easy and go for long walks and pub lunches with my husband and toddler, but said toddler woke up with a mysterious fever this morning and the day just disappeared into consolation and naps. Oh well.
    .-= Sarah @ Natural History (was Passementerie)´s last blog ..Stockholm Elegance =-.

22. MichelleS commented
    March 27th, 2010 at 2:47pm

This weekend my husband is out of town and it’s just me and my two daughters. So it’s SLUMBER PARTY WEEKEND!!!! Movies, junk food, make overs (fake ones, my kids are 3 yrs and 5 months), pj’s, dance parties, and of course, visiting the grandparents. At first I was a little nervous about it but so far we’re having fun!

23. Yasmine commented
    March 27th, 2010 at 10:39pm

Nothing much really as I have to prepare for my French exam on Tuesday. You sound so happy, Holly – have a nice weekend!
    .-= Yasmine´s last blog ..The Love Story About Two Dirty Socks =-.

24. Diana L commented
    March 27th, 2010 at 11:05pm

Wow! It felt so good to work in the yard today. Beautiful day. T-shirt and jeans weather. Now if only I could get someone to pick up all the weeds and branches I cut down…
    .-= Diana L´s last blog ..Beachcomber Earrings in Cobalt Blue Sea Glass =-.

25. Karen commented
    March 28th, 2010 at 6:32am

Whatever you do: Don´t buy Tchibo stuff!

26. laura trevey commented
    March 28th, 2010 at 6:44am

Yesterday I ran the Richmond 10K, so today I think I will rest and maybe paint a little… I hope you have had a lovely weekend yourself :)
    .-= laura trevey´s last blog ..Have a Lovely Pink Cupcake Sunday =-.

27. theaxx commented
    March 28th, 2010 at 7:35am

Oh no!! Does this ‘temporary’ address mean that perhaps you did not get my little package with Spoonful from Australia?? I sent it to an address you gave me months ago…

oh dear.

thea.
    xx

(spoonfulzine)

28. decor8 commented
    March 28th, 2010 at 8:53am

Theaxx – No I got the zine, it was lovely, thank you!!!

29. decor8 commented
    March 28th, 2010 at 8:53am

Karen – Why? I have a few things from them, they’re great.

30. Laura commented
    March 28th, 2010 at 7:58pm

Thanks for sharing your sentiment. I am only getting to read this at the very end of my weekend, but I think I was able to follow your advice anyway. It was a very low key weekend and although I got some things off the endless to do list, I also just relaxed which really is such a luxury that we all too often forget to appreciate. My days nesting addition for my temporary wish-i-had-my-own-place-but-this-will-have-to-do apartment was several antique silver spoons I found digging around at my parents. I polished them up and gave one a test drive on some vanilla ice cream. Feels like spring!
    .-= Laura´s last blog ..I heart Mike and Doug Starn =-.

31. Connie Cusick commented
    March 28th, 2010 at 10:23pm

We had a great weekend!! I spent 8 hours reading blogs!! It was bliss!!
    Best, Connie
    .-= Connie Cusick´s last blog ..Rate My Space! HGTV =-.

32. Jolette commented
    March 29th, 2010 at 2:35pm

Wow, Connie! I’m jealous! I swear I’d read blogs for a living if such a thing were possible. My weekend was wonderful, had double chocolate cake and strawberry cheesecake at a friend’s birthday and met plenty of new people there. Now I’m full of inspiration!
    .-= Jolette´s last blog ..SA’s best kept décor secret =-.