Hamburg Bound: Tips?

My new friend at TineKHome in Denmark is traveling down to Hamburg on Thursday and would like some advice on what to see there. She’s looking for some stylish shops and cafes. I have a little list below of some of the places I suggest… If you’ve been to Hamburg what suggestions do you have?

Milchmädchen in Hamburg

Shops:

• Habitat – Downtown near the water and old town hall – and by the way, you cannot go to Hamburg WITHOUT seeing the old town hall. My goodness, it’s amazing. Wow.
  • While you are downtown make sure you go to the store/cafe Flamant. Very, very nice and quite large so plan to spend at least 30 minutes browsing. They also make their own paint in some of the best chalky colors. If you have time for cake and coffee, visit their cafe.
  • Stilwerk: a large building with design shops, mostly Knoll and big names, but also a great tea cafe/shop with Hamburg’s specialty tea brand, Samova. It’s also near the port and all the yummy places for fresh seafood.
  • milchmaedchen: small shop owned by a nice lady who has lots of independent brands). I visited and photographed the shop here in 2008.
  • craft2eu: small gallery shop with mostly ceramics and contemporary art and sculpture. Nice.
  • Die Wohngeschwister – furniture and home accessories.
  • TH2 White – Gorgeous! That’s all I can say! Go!
  • Eden Living (I loved this store – typical “Hamburg style” which is a good thing!) It’s also nearby to other nice cafes and shops — pretty area.
  • Lütt & Fien – shop for mostly children but very unique and special. Also happens to be in a very nice part of the city with other shops and cafes nearby. I wrote about them recently here.
  • Andreas Linzner – shop with mostly plush animals but also very original and he is just the nicest man, I met him a few years ago at his shop. He is also located in a very busy area with lots of stores.
  • Charlotta’s – Lots of Amy Butler fabric, patterns in English, Amy Butler books, and fabric from all over the world, lots from America. The shop owner, Karin Fuchs, is a delight and her store is stocked with beautiful things. It’s near craft2eu so you can hit both at the same time.
  • Herzallerliebst – More pretty things, fabrics and notions, gifts, but most of all they have gorgeous leather bags and wallets that they make. They even sell my favorite tea, The o dor, from Paris. This shop is around the corner from milchmaedchen so you can see them both easily.
  • Dedon – Gorgeous furniture showroom.
  • Patio Antiques – came suggested to me by my friend Yvonne as a “must-see” shop.

Food:

• Personally, I’ve not dined out too often in Hamburg but when I have I found East to be exquisite for dinner and cocktails.
  • I also loved TH2 for breakfast and lunch, it’s near the shop Eden Living so you can hit both at the same time. TH2 is such a pretty cafe and is owned by a couple who are both named Torsten and who happen to be designers who own TH2 White.
  • I’ve also been told by the owner of Milchmaedchen to try Bistrot Vienna (cozy and great food) and
  • Rocco (Italian)

Okay so I know I’ve missed a ton of shops and cafes — and I personally would like to know what you do in Hamburg — so please comment with your suggestions below!

(image: holly becker for decor8, taken of the milchmädchen shop)

Posted by decor8 in travel on March 30, 2010

1. pruh commented
    March 30th, 2010 at 7:00am

I love the marktstraBe with all the rockabilly shops. And I love the “Dom” fair, but I’m not sure when it starts…

For food you should go to mutterland , they have the best cheesecake and organic food. http://www.mutterland.de/

I loved the city, it’s a pity there are no cheap flights going there from Holland

2. fräulein herz commented
    March 30th, 2010 at 7:07am

Hi Holly,

I don’t know if this is interesting to your friend, as she probably has enough shops with scandinavian design furniture at home in Denmark, but if she stays until next week (the shop is closed during Easter Holidays, as it says on the website), maybe this is something:

It’s definitely on my list for my next Hamburg visit.

Or if she likes fabrics – Frau Tulpe from Berlin recently opened a shop in Hamburg:

Grüße aus Berlin,
    Tatiana.
    .-= fräulein herz´s last blog ..Ideenklau. =-.

3. Moa commented
    March 30th, 2010 at 7:14am

Wow, such great tips! I’m saving this for later, in case we head to Germany :)
    .-= Moa´s last blog ..Giveaway! =-.

4. Diana commented
    March 30th, 2010 at 7:22am

Oh, I wish I could make some recommendations but I have not been since I was a teenager and that was oodles ago!
    .-= Diana´s last blog ..It’s a fresh new week… =-.

5. Morfydd commented
    March 30th, 2010 at 7:28am

Samova is no longer at Stilwerk, I believe. At least they’ve moved their offices. They may still have a tiny tea shop in the basement, but it looked to me like they were closing even that up. The high-end stores in Stilwerk keep changing, but there’s usually something interesting there that costs about six months’ salary. Also, a new garden furniture place has opened up just about across the street. And the Habitat outlet store is less than a mile away, a few stops down the 383 bus line.

You profiled Bridget Bell in Ottensen a while back, and it’s still nice. Also in the area is Gustavian, on the corner of Barnerstrasse and Gaussstrasse, though their website doesn’t say so: http://www.gustavian.de/ – they have very pretty pieces in the light Scandinavian style you like. Both stores are tiny though, and will only take a few minutes to visit.

I haven’t really found a cafe that I like – my neighborhood one (Catze & Commander) closed last summer. I like Elb Toechter for drinks and very limited-menu food, Baluchistan has interesting Pakistani food, and I’ve heard good recommendations for Altamira for tapas – all are in Ottensen.

6. decor8 commented
    March 30th, 2010 at 7:40am

Pruh – Oh yes, Mutterland — THAT IS A MUST SEE!

7. Left & Write commented
    March 30th, 2010 at 7:55am

Urban Outfitters have a city guide for Hamburg – maybe she’ll find some cool tips on it.

8. emily commented
    March 30th, 2010 at 8:10am

I also agree with Mutterland – their food is so so good.

Other fun restaurants are Engelke (they even have macaroons straight from Ladurée – a big perk of being in a big shipping city) and LaVela – near the old fish market / water front and Stilwerk. They have a really good lunch menu.
    .-= emily´s last blog ..Jaipur =-.

9. Nadine commented
    March 30th, 2010 at 8:11am

I would suggest breakfast at “Cafe Klatsch”, Glashüttenstraße.

10. Red Bridge Studio commented
    March 30th, 2010 at 8:29am

Last summer, I did a post on places I visited in Hamburg, in Eppendorf and Marktstraße. I agree about Milchmädchen. As a screen printer, I especially liked the work of Druck Dealer.

Here’s the link to the post.
    .-= Red Bridge Studio´s last blog ..First Sunday at the Makers Market =-.

11. decor8 commented
    March 30th, 2010 at 8:29am

Left & Write – Oh and yes, UO is actually in Hamburg too. :)

Emily – I did not know that. Engelke — I have to google that.

12. juliette commented
    March 30th, 2010 at 8:56am

oh, this is awesome! We’re planning on hitting Hamburg this summer as we head home after our big roadtrip – totally bookmarking this in my ‘Hamburg’ folder!
    .-= juliette´s last blog ..Roadtrip 2010: dream Swedish coastline =-.

13. Silke commented
    March 30th, 2010 at 9:00am

Hi Holly,

I LOVE ‘Eden Living’ in HH! It’s my favorite shop at the moment. And the TH2 nearby is perfect for a break!
    Another shop I visited the last time I went to HH is ‘Lieblingszimmer’ in the Ludolfstrasse 60. They have a website so you can check out what they sell (shabby furniture painted in pastells and whites).
    In Ottensen I love the ‘Herzberg’, Erzberger Strasse 19. They sell beautyful selfmade stuff. I think they have a website, too.
    Another shop were you can buy wonderful textiles is ‘Vossberg Textilgalerie’. It’ located in the Isestrasse 87. Google it and you can buy online!
    By the way: LOVE your blog! So much inspiration every day!

Herzliche Grüsse
    Silke

14. The Happy Turtle commented
    March 30th, 2010 at 10:48am

Hello, Holly,
    I’d definitively suggest she visits the brand new store of the company I work for. It is situated in:
    Dockenhudener Strasse 25
    22587 Hamburg

T +49 (0)40 3863 4753/4
    This is the link to our web page in German

I think you’d love it, too!

15. javede commented
    March 30th, 2010 at 11:04am

You probably know more nice shops around here then I!
    If she happen to knit http://mylys.de/shop/ is a new shop that is really nice.
    Otherwise restaurants etc. very much depend on ones taste. For Chinese try “Man Wah” at Spielbudenplatz or “Din Hao”. The last one looks like a cheap diner, but the food is really good as all the chinese eating there indicate.
    If you want to go out really nice with for example your husband, “Saliba” is the best. Great libanese food and service and how I wish to go there soon again!
    I have not found a really nice cafe either yet though I always want to try “Herr Max” when I pass by.

16. laura evans commented
    March 30th, 2010 at 11:08am

having never been to hamburg i’m sorry but i have nothing to suggest … but since i planning on road tripping up there at some point this post is bookmarked & i’m excited to hear the suggestions! Hope the weather is nicer up north than down here.
    .-= laura evans´s last blog ..a red red flower – whimsical fine art photography =-.

17. Iris commented
    March 30th, 2010 at 11:13am

Hello Holly,
    my first entry, but I just came back from Hamburg and I liked “Schanzenviertel” – very lively, a little alternative, colourfull…
    I would visit the cafe “Herr Max” (have their own website, cafe has a very cute interieur) and I can highly recommend restaurant “Mazza” (have a website as well)…
    Viele Grüße, Iris

18. Frau Mayer commented
    March 30th, 2010 at 11:56am

Two special tips from an Ex-Hamburger:
    1. Steakhouse Arizona in Winterhude. There’s nothing like it. And – for a steakhouse – it’s cheap.
    2. Goldbeckhaus (also in Winterhude) – it’s amazingly located.

On a weekend morning I’d go to Grosse Elbstrasse and just enjoy the food and the warehouse atmosphere. It’s fish fish fish fish.
    Oh, I’ve got another one here – Hensler&Hensler. Your dinner will cost you round 100 Euros but it’ll be unforgettable.
    .-= Frau Mayer´s last blog ..Fridging around…. =-.

19. Alicia commented
    March 30th, 2010 at 11:59am

Ha! That is exactly what I was going to suggest, Iris. You can’t go wrong with the Schanzenviertel!

Alicia

20. milchmädchen commented
    March 30th, 2010 at 12:06pm

I definately agree with Iris! HERR MAX is a must!! Definately. Delicious, stylish, cosy..

21. milchmädchen commented
    March 30th, 2010 at 12:08pm

p.s.:
    and thank you so much, Holly, I´d love to welcome Tine in my shop! xox Irina
    .-= milchmädchen´s last blog ..Momentaufnahmen hautnah =-.

22. Virginia commented
    March 30th, 2010 at 12:55pm

Loooooove the dessert restaurant http://www.prinsessan.de/ a lot. you can try desserts, order 3course dessert menues. all very tasty and special (they also offer breakfast menues).

Hamburg is a gorgeous city. very special.

23. Jolette commented
    March 30th, 2010 at 2:43pm

I’ve never been to Hamburg, but if she ever travels down to the Garden Route here in South Africa, I could definitely make some suggestions! :-)
    .-= Jolette´s last blog ..SA’s best kept décor secret =-.

24. Daniela commented
    March 30th, 2010 at 4:42pm

Hi Holly,

a nice place to eat is Cafe Gnosa. (www.gnosa.de). Very cute place, nice staff, great breakfast (and lunch …) and not too expensive. They even have homemade cake and a wide variety of coffee. If you order a grande coffee it is served in a cereal bowl. Location is easy to find, close to the main train station and not to far from “Mutterland”. All people I have taken there loved it.

Oh, and if your friend likes poor and clean design she should go see “Muji” (www.muji.de). Japanese store that has finally opened here in Hamburg. Address: “Große Bleichen 31

Schanzenviertel is always worth a visit, too. Many cute little store are there as well as “Wohngeschwister”. Close to it is “Karolienviertel” (www.karolinenviertel.de), many young designers and the the cook book store “Kochkontor”.

At “Die Zuckerbäckerin” (www.diezueckerbaeckerin.de) you can buy beautiful cookies, petit fures and miniature cakes.

I hope that helps a bit.

Viele Grüße Daniela

25. Daniela commented
    March 30th, 2010 at 5:22pm

I had a typo. The web address of “Zuckerbäckerin” is http://www.diezuckerbaeckerin.de

Sorry for that.

26. Wendy commented
    March 30th, 2010 at 7:13pm

with all that shopping they’ll need cocktails! My friend Cirsten owns a great winebar in Hamburg and they have fun wine events!
    Straßenbahnring 17
    Hamburg, Germany 20251
    Website:

Also Le Lion Hamburg is an amazing cocktail lounge and has really good food. the french bistro across the street is also said to be quite good!

Rathausstrasse 3
    20095 Hamburg, Germany
    040 33475378-0
    .-= Wendy´s last blog ..Around Town in Havana =-.

27. Katrin commented
    March 31st, 2010 at 4:13am

I am a German expat living in Greece and I looooove my hometown Hamburg. A shop that has not been mentioned yet but is a MUST (for clothes): Maegde und Knechte (Elternhaus) in the Schnazenviertel, Marktstrasse 29. Here is a link: http://www.elternhaus.com. They print very very interesting and fun statements on T-shirts and many other things. Really my most favorite shop for clothes in my town.

28. Simone commented
    March 31st, 2010 at 7:01am

If you have time you should check out Museum der Arbeit http://www.museum-der-arbeit.de/ They have a ferry service from Jungfernstieg that takes you right there or you can take the subway. I think once a month they have a flea market in their large courtyard and you can get Kaffee and Kuchen at the museum cafe or full meals at Trude next door.
    .-= Simone´s last blog ..Eco Tags =-.

29. Stine (Tine K Home) commented
    March 31st, 2010 at 2:50pm

Dear all,

I would just like to thank all of you who spent some time writing about your favorite places in Hamburg. Our hotel is actually quite close to Mutterland. I visited the shop last spring, and I also fell in love like some of you did.

I will visit Lys Vintage next time I am in Hamburg as it is actually one of our Tine K Home customers.

I looked through all the different websites you suggested and made my own little map with special places to go and special shops to visit.
    I am going to Hamburg with my boyfriend, and I must admit… I feel sorry for him. I am going to drag him up and down the streets of Hamburg. I think we will need some “pitstops” now and then ;)

I am really looking forward to visit Hamburg again. As I told Holly, the weather in Hamburg always seems a bit warmer and nicer than in Denmark. Last fall it was SO cold in Denmark the morning we were driving to Hamburg, so we had our warm clothes on. However, the day in Hamburg was spent on outdoor cafés in the sunny weather.

I don’t know if it is too early, but I hope the trees are flowering in the streets of Hamburg like they were last spring when I visited Hamburg.

Thank you so much for all the different tips – I don’t think one day is enough, but if I don’t make them all, I will definitely save the list.
    Tine and my other colleagues have also asked me to send them a copy of the entire list – they love Hamburg too. We visited Hamburg together back in 2008 and had a wonderful dinner at Die Bank – an amazing place with a great atmosphere!

Have a nice evening,
    Stine

30. Atalanta commented
    April 1st, 2010 at 1:11am

Hi Stine,
    maybe too late for this trip but if you are next time in Hamburg/Winterhude you would like to visit the shop Marche Noir at the Mühlenkamp http://www.marchenoir.de
    and there is a a very nice perfume store in the city just with natural ingredients: Harald Lubner
    Have a nice stay and Tschüss

31. VmnP commented
    April 1st, 2010 at 3:12am

A good tip for people that will be around Hamburg at the end of April is the exibit “Gute Aussichten” about young german photography at the Haus der Photographie
    .-= VmnP´s last blog ..Sognando la cabina armadio =-.

32. Nora commented
    April 12th, 2010 at 5:09am

what a great post!
    I’m traveling to Munich soon.
    Have you got any tips for Bayern/Munich??
    thank you so much!!