Shopgirl Visits: Samantha Robinson Studio

Time to go on a mini shopping trip with me today, a little desk vacay. Let’s visit Samantha Robinson’s ceramics studio in Sydney and fight over which ones we’ll take home with us, okay?

Samantha Robinson Studio Tour

I have dibs on nearly all of them (kidding, I’ll share!) and I am especially excited that photographer Jillian Leiboff shot this studio with Samantha’s permission to share here on decor8 today because these photos really capture the essence that is Samantha Robinson. She creates art capturing it in a most functional way to show that everyday objects need not be mundane. This ceramicist is one of my favorites and so for me it’s a real treat to peek in on the space where she creates such precious pieces. I particularly like how fragile some appear, and how others look like paper, painted glass, and even plastic. Gorgeous.

Samantha Robinson Studio Tour

Samantha Robinson Studio Tour

Samantha Robinson Studio Tour

Samantha Robinson Studio Tour

Samantha Robinson Studio Tour

Samantha Robinson Studio Tour

Samantha Robinson Studio Tour

Samantha Robinson Studio Tour

As I look through these photos I can’t help but smell the earthy clay and paint — and imagine how beautiful these vessels would be to hold in my hands — some to drink from, others for flowers, still others for fruit. I get the sense from her studio that she is truly happiest when she is potting. I would like to own a few for my home but I don’t know of any shops in Germany or Europe who would ship them to me… so I guess I will have to drool along with the rest of you who also have little to no access to Samantha Robinson’s beautiful works. I’m sure the more we blog about her online, the more shops will carry her fine things locally. So spread the word!

Thank you Jillian for the photographs and also Samantha – thank you for giving us permission to share them publicly!

(images: jillian leiboff imaging)

Posted by decor8 in Shopgirl Visits on March 31, 2010

1. Mariana commented
    March 31st, 2010 at 11:16am

Difficult to choose!

2. Tamar commented
    March 31st, 2010 at 11:18am

Holly, I love her work soooo much!!! thank you for sharing these inspirational photos.
    xox
    .-= Tamar´s last blog ..…and one more… =-.

3. Charlene @ Sweetchic commented
    March 31st, 2010 at 11:34am

omg, everything is just SO lovely!

4. Vanessa commented
    March 31st, 2010 at 11:34am

Hi Holly,
    I just listened to your podcast on ProBlogger and it was really great! Thanks for sharing your story and your tips on blogging! Your site is great and I will definitely be coming back to view future posts…

I especially connected with the goal of your blog (to have your readers feel inspired, happy, positive, and have a great experience on the site), as this is what I am hoping to do every day through my posts.

Thank you again for the great interview,
    Vanessa from Optimal Optimist

5. molly commented
    March 31st, 2010 at 11:38am

Such an amazing space – and I just adore her work!
    .-= molly´s last blog ..Spreading a little sunshine…. =-.

6. jenn commented
    March 31st, 2010 at 11:39am

oh my goodness… everything about this is so beautiful. i love how the large oval bowl that’s green out side and pink inside looks like a big yummy watermelon at first glance. making me want some fruit!
    .-= jenn´s last blog ..ohhh baby! =-.

7. Vanessa commented
    March 31st, 2010 at 11:39am

Hi Holly,
    I just listened to your ProBlogger podcast and I really enjoyed it. Thank you for sharing your story and your blogging tips! Your site is great and I will certainly be coming back to view future posts…

I especially connected with your goal of leaving your readers feeling inspired, positive, happy, and having a great experience- this is what I try to do every day with my posts.

Thank you again for the blogging insight and best of luck with your blog!
    Vanessa from Optimal Optimist

8. Silke Schmidt commented
    March 31st, 2010 at 11:52am

Hi Holly,
    they are lovely. Guess I have to pop by next time I am in Sydney. It is well worth the trip. What a shame that you cann’t buy them in Germany. I would love to call some my own.
    Have a nice easter,
    take care
    Silke
    .-= Silke Schmidt´s last blog ..Unser Osterverkaufsrenner… =-.

9. Val commented
    March 31st, 2010 at 12:02pm

WOW! These are gorgeous!!! Love the patterns and colour combos. This looks like a happy place.

10. Fiona Richards commented
    March 31st, 2010 at 12:02pm

Simply stunning!
    .-= Fiona Richards´s last blog .. =-.

11. simone commented
    March 31st, 2010 at 12:12pm

I’m in love……love. The patterns are amazing. Thanks for sharing her and her pieces!
    .-= simone´s last blog ..Chic. Petite. =-.

12. The Office Stylist commented
    March 31st, 2010 at 12:17pm

Those cups are absolutely gorgeous! I could see those as being beautiful pencil cups on a desk…

The Office Stylist

13. Becky at Art Photo Wall Decor commented
    March 31st, 2010 at 12:33pm

These ceramics are terrific; light-years ahead of anything you’ll get atyour local decorating shop. And with all the colors and patterns, shapes and sizes, there has to be one that fits your decor. I agree with Jenn above – that watermelon piece made me look twice!

14. pleasesir commented
    March 31st, 2010 at 12:34pm

WOW – what a spot! Not only do I love her work, but her space is truly inspiring. Great post.
    .-= pleasesir´s last blog ..The Art of Business =-.

15. sharon commented
    March 31st, 2010 at 12:40pm

oooooooooohhhhhhhhhh I am in luv! I want one of each – especially the watermelons and such a nice space to work in:)

16. Megan commented
    March 31st, 2010 at 1:11pm

I LOVE the colors and I love how the pieces look like fabric or mixed-media collages. They are so pretty. I love the sherbet colored pale orange ones.
    .-= Megan´s last blog ..Custom Silhouettes =-.

17. Jeanee commented
    March 31st, 2010 at 1:15pm

This is wonderful!
    .-= Jeanee´s last blog ..tofu Tuesday =-.

18. emily @ thirtyeight20 commented
    March 31st, 2010 at 1:26pm

Beautiful selection of ceramics. The patterns are so pretty. I’m especially partial to those little mix-and-match cups. I’d also love a few of those old wood cabinets for my kitchen… To be honest, those are what drew my eye first! Then I realized, “Oh, they are filled to the brim with lovely things too!”
    .-= emily @ thirtyeight20´s last blog ..Our neighbors think I’m lewd =-.

19. fat mum slim commented
    March 31st, 2010 at 1:47pm

How lucky am I that I can visit this space?

I didn’t know it existed, but all I know now is that I want to be there right now, looking over the beautiful pieces.

Thanks Holly. x
    .-= fat mum slim´s last blog ..A Whole New World. =-.

20. Michelle Clement commented
    March 31st, 2010 at 2:05pm

Wow!! Amazing photos!! :) I’m stunned and super-inspired by these/ Just so much lovliness to take in. :)

21. Tricia Rose commented
    March 31st, 2010 at 2:15pm

My sister lives in Sydney, I’ll send her this! It reminds me of chintz tea cups.
    .-= Tricia Rose´s last blog ..Portland =-.

22. Tod commented
    March 31st, 2010 at 2:17pm

such beautiful stuff!! everything feels so light and fresh! thanks a bunch for sharing!
    xoxo

23. Brigitte commented
    March 31st, 2010 at 2:17pm

I’m having a rough day, and I just took a little break for my reader. These stopped me in my tracks. I had to scroll back to look at the pieces in more detail. So lovely and happy!
    .-= Brigitte´s last blog ..Diary of a Disaster =-.

24. Starr commented
    March 31st, 2010 at 2:26pm

Gorgeous. The colors she chooses are so fresh, clean, modern and makes me urn for Spring. Such a delight to look through these images. They just seem to “cleanse the pallette”, don’t they?? Wonderful!!

25. summerbl4ck commented
    March 31st, 2010 at 2:31pm

Beautiful pottery but what vexed me most was how crooked the floor is! :-)

26. maria commented
    March 31st, 2010 at 2:41pm

just my cup of tea..i really love the colours and patterns.thanks for showing us

27. Gosia commented
    March 31st, 2010 at 2:45pm

Holly, you taught me a new expression in English which I’m going to use right now: I’m swooning over these watermelon bowls. And drooling over them too!
    You are absolutely right: let’s spread the word! We NEED Samantha’s work in Europe!!
    .-= Gosia´s last blog ..Outside =-.

28. Vintage Fairy Tales Rebecka commented
    March 31st, 2010 at 2:54pm

Give me a watermelon now, please!
    Beautiful!
    Happy Easter
    Becky

29. Fernanda commented
    March 31st, 2010 at 3:30pm

Is very beautifull! Ilike this. kisses Fernanda from Brazil

30. Nuit commented
    March 31st, 2010 at 3:52pm

mmmmmmmm I know!! I can smell the clay too! its too good!!! the ceramics have so much personality I die!!! Love the colors too and the vintage approach.

xo
    .-= Nuit´s last blog ..Katrine’s Easter Wonderland =-.

31. Katherine commented
    March 31st, 2010 at 3:55pm

Oh wow…how gorgeous. The pink/green ones look like hollowed out watermelons from a distance. And then you get up close & they all have such beautiful detailed patterns.
    .-= Katherine´s last blog ..austin fever =-.

32. cathie commented
    March 31st, 2010 at 4:12pm

this is the exact thing i want to do in our kitchen/dining area! i love her beautiful collection of serveware in open cabinetry! (the only thing that scares me about this is earthquakes.)

33. mary commented
    March 31st, 2010 at 4:37pm

Ever since I first saw Samantha’s work, I have been waiting and waiting to see when/if I’d ever be able to purchase some of her pieces…I raced right down to the end of your post to see if you were going to say that they were finally available online! Darn! ;)

I do have family in Sydney and you can bet that I’m going to see what I can do to track some down!!
    .-= mary´s last blog .. =-.

34. rebecca commented
    March 31st, 2010 at 5:43pm

I love peeking in other peoples studios, gives us a bit of insight into how their work comes to life. Samantha’s work is something else, thanks for introducing me to it.

35. dana | yellowtrace blog commented
    March 31st, 2010 at 5:49pm

Oh I love Samantha’s work so much. She makes me proud to be an Aussie, and from Sydney. I recently attened a trade show where Samantha showed he work and I took a few photos for my blog which I thought would complement this post.

Our good friends are getting married this weekend, and my husband and I bought them a set of Samantha’s illuminators as a wedding gift. They are just so beautiful…

x dana

36. Emma commented
    March 31st, 2010 at 5:50pm

I love Samantha Robinson’s stuff – great Aussie talent! I really want her watermelon bowls or cool cups for a toothbrush holder.
    Need to listen to your podcast today, said I would yesterday and got distracted!
    .-= Emma´s last blog ..{ Bloganista Sister #2 } =-.

37. Elizabeth commented
    March 31st, 2010 at 6:12pm

what beautiful pieces!

38. Brooke H commented
    March 31st, 2010 at 6:39pm

Stunning!!! I have art studio envy! That one photo with all the ceramics on the white wash cabinet… Ah. I don’t even have words. I LOVE it!
    .-= Brooke H´s last blog ..Laura Linney =-.

39. cristin @ simplified bee commented
    March 31st, 2010 at 6:40pm

Oh my gosh I LOVE these ceramics. Thanks for sharing.
    xo,
    cristin
    .-= cristin @ simplified bee´s last blog ..Spring Cleaning Tips: Making Your Closet Functional & Beautiful =-.

40. Kate commented
    March 31st, 2010 at 9:01pm

Oh, really beautiful!
    .-= Kate´s last blog ..Field Trips… =-.

41. Chantal {luxxury livving} commented
    March 31st, 2010 at 10:15pm

Absolutely gorgeous! I would luv to get my hands on some of these beautiful works of art.

42. Jolette commented
    April 1st, 2010 at 1:35am

I love the fine patterns she puts on them, as well as the plain pastel ones! Her work really is fantastic. Will be sure to mention her on my blog.
    .-= Jolette´s last blog ..Yes to hand-crafted products! =-.

43. Coleccionando estrellas commented
    April 1st, 2010 at 5:35am

I knew this lady before, and her work is lovely, so creative, modern but with this hand-made touch at the same time.

44. Mitzi Curi commented
    April 1st, 2010 at 5:58am

How wonderful Samantha’s pottery is! It reminds me of vintage “chintz ware”, a type of pottery that had applied transfers of floral chintz patterns. Lots of color, and great mixes of various patterns. I love her studio too, especially her use of the old cabinets. Right up my alley!
    .-= Mitzi Curi´s last blog ..Busy Hands are Happy Hands =-.

45. Annie Mack commented
    April 1st, 2010 at 6:36am

I love Samantha’s beautiful wares, I was by chance looking at her website last night and next day she is on decor8 so I think that is a sign and I have just booked myself a weekend away in Sydney to do a little shopping…..can’t wait just the therapy I need after surgery….So nice to see something from home that I will actually be able to go and buy…

46. ThiliBlooms commented
    April 1st, 2010 at 7:23am

wow! amazing work! I love everything!
    .-= ThiliBlooms´s last blog ..Nuggets are disgusting! =-.

47. Kristine commented
    April 1st, 2010 at 9:06am

Wauw!
    Beautiful, gorgeous, amazing, wonderful….
    I’m in love.
    Compliments for a very inspiring blog.
    Thanks and happy easter ;)

48. Ana commented
    April 1st, 2010 at 9:40am

In portuguese I would say: são como colírios para os olhos!
    (rough translating like: it is like eye drops for the eyes)

Really gorgeous!

xx,
    A.
    .-= Ana´s last blog ..A cozinha esta quase pronta… =-.

49. alexis commented
    April 1st, 2010 at 11:37am

I am so very smitten by these delightful pieces. I need her teapots! Perfect for a spring tea party.

50. Alysson Hartmann commented
    April 1st, 2010 at 12:12pm

Love these designs- so pretty, Ironically, my husband is in Sydney on business this week. I told him to bring me home a piece from her collection. We’ll see if I get something!

51. Skyler Meine commented
    April 1st, 2010 at 12:19pm

Just jumped on the site from the problogger link. I love the porcelain and the design of the blog. Thanks for sharing.

52. julia commented
    April 1st, 2010 at 3:54pm

I just love it!

53. julia commented
    April 1st, 2010 at 3:59pm

But but… you mean I can’t buy some just immediately (I just went to the website), I would have to go to Australia??? Holly, you can’t do this to me!? ;o)

54. JRM commented
    April 1st, 2010 at 6:46pm

Some of her pieces are being sold through Anthropologie. Or were. I’m not sure what all is still there.

55. Kimberly commented
    April 1st, 2010 at 8:19pm

Did you see?! Anthropologie is now selling a selection of Samantha Robinson lovelies! I read this post last night, fell in love, and then flipped out when I saw the new collection on Anthro today!

56. Stephanie commented
    April 1st, 2010 at 8:23pm

Gorgeous patterns and I absolutely love the teapots…Wow!

57. Daniella commented
    April 1st, 2010 at 11:02pm

Wow wow wow! These pieces are incredibly inspiring and absolutely EXQUISITE! I love the variety of patterns (some rustic, others modern–I would *die* for that little delicate green florals on the outside, red floral insides bowl).

The photos themselves are great works of art. They make me want to take pictures of my own humble studio.

Great post!
    .-= Daniella´s last blog ..Adventures in Lolley Land =-.

58. megan commented
    April 2nd, 2010 at 5:30am

I’m drawn to your work… it’s breathtakingly beautiful. I love each piece equally. I just found myself returning to look at the photos, and you work. I love the oval bowls and tea pots with the ivy. Your collection would be perfect in my home. I would enjoy and appreciate them everyday. I must tell my husband…. 19 yrs Anniversary is approaching soon.
    .-= megan´s last blog ..the garden is in bloom…2 =-.

59. Lisa commented
    April 2nd, 2010 at 10:02am

Oh these are just beautiful – the ceramics and the photos!!

Thanks for passing them on!
    Lisa
    .-= Lisa´s last blog ..easter flowers =-.

60. Jenn commented
    April 2nd, 2010 at 5:48pm

Have you seen her things in Anthropologie? They have some watermelon bowls, cups, and so forth. http://search.anthropologie.com/?q=samantha+robinson
    Way out of my budget, though!

61. Catherine commented
    April 5th, 2010 at 8:48am

I love these. I especially love the twist of taking what at first glance is a traditional crockery pattern and having fun with it in terms of colours and shape. Very clever.

62. Ev Dekorasyonu commented
    April 6th, 2010 at 1:59am

I think photos are greater than the place..

63. zakdon shadbolt commented
    April 19th, 2011 at 4:20pm

i love her products want to see if she will make me a bathroom basin ..i think it will look stunning

64. Melissa de la Fuente commented
    January 27th, 2012 at 4:44am

Love, love, love her work and the photographs are beautiful….sigh.
    xo
    Melis
    Melissa de la Fuente´s last blog post ..Little things & little moments: Estelle, Courtney & Kathleen