Greige: Blog of the Week

I’ve died and gone to heaven. Only it’s not white as I had thought, it’s greige! You know, I think the first time I heard the word greige was in a copy of Domino magazine. I think some market editor threw it out and it just stuck, sort of like those arrows that they put on everything to show you exactly where that IKEA cabinet is located in this room. The Domino arrows, who can forget those! Ha! Oh, the Domino days and the color greige!

Greige: Blog of the Week

But yes, greige — the color that is gray and beige combined — but take note: it’s not just some hipster word it’s in the actual dictionary. Greige is a legitimate color and it’s also a very legitimate blog that I found yesterday via Elle Oh and wow – it’s so great I’ve added it as my blog of the week.

Greige: Blog of the Week

Greige: Blog of the Week

In addition to the blog, Greige is also the design firm of Christina Fluegge based in Orange Country, California who also has a shop called My Sparrow. If you love beige, gray, greige, white, black… clean and sophisticated design well then this blog is for you. Your own slice of heaven awaits…

I’m on my way out to the farmers’ market now for veggies and flowers so I’ll meet you back here in a few hours. It’s super sunny and 60s here so I’m shopping outdoors today!

(images: skona hem, rum, roland bello photography and canadian house & home)

Posted by decor8 in blogs on April 07, 2010

1. Indie Mom and the Reluctant Banker commented
    April 7th, 2010 at 4:36am

Lovely pictures! To me the word ‘greige’ sounds sort of funny, like a bit of a joke somehow, but it’s actually a colour I quite like. I think it looks very and clean and sofisticated.
    .-= Indie Mom and the Reluctant Banker´s last blog ..Basco5 at Helvetikat =-.

2. Decofabulous commented
    April 7th, 2010 at 5:18am

Greige, I love it!! What an amazing blog; tasteful, elegant, comfortable and soothing interiors. Thank you for sharing.
    .-= Decofabulous´s last blog ..I dream about a LoftLife =-.

3. Mon commented
    April 7th, 2010 at 5:30am

I love this colours! They are so natural and warm and pure! Fantastic pick:)

4. Ludmila {CreamyLife.com} commented
    April 7th, 2010 at 6:08am

Wow, really nice color! To be straight, I didn’t know about greige, but it’s definitely a very chic color! xoxo
    .-= Ludmila {CreamyLife.com}´s last blog ..Normann-Copenhagen =-.

5. meltem commented
    April 7th, 2010 at 6:39am

well, i am in love with these kind of people who are really stable with their taste. me, oooh gosh, i like to have everything at the same time… i want natural, i want chic, i want glamor and ethnicity … i know i am a bit fickle :S but i love decoration :)

6. meltem commented
    April 7th, 2010 at 6:39am

.-= meltem´s last blog ..2010 Ilkbahar-Yaz Gelinlik ve Aksesuarlari =-.

7. White Cabana commented
    April 7th, 2010 at 6:54am

Great pics and thanks for all the links. I had a fun time exploring greige this morning.
    -Jordana
    .-= White Cabana´s last blog ..Spiral Light =-.

8. Charlotte commented
    April 7th, 2010 at 6:54am

I love the colour and the mixture of objects in the photographs. A mixture of new objects and found objects – a great combination o manmade and natural – very….open and refreshing – it makes me want to take a deep breath!

9. The Design Notebook commented
    April 7th, 2010 at 7:07am

I love white, grey and beige so greige is perfect for me. The blog looks amazing!
    .-= The Design Notebook´s last blog ..DREAM HOME =-.

10. PuroLino.it commented
    April 7th, 2010 at 7:12am

wonderful and intimate….

11. Molly @ Star Cottage commented
    April 7th, 2010 at 7:42am

I love white/neautral decor. So calm and relaxing. Living in white would be dreamy.
    .-= Molly @ Star Cottage´s last blog ..Shattered Homebirth Dreams =-.

12. Tania Metalli commented
    April 7th, 2010 at 7:51am

Beautiful blog, thanks for sharing.
    It also reminded me that I was planning to do a series of monochromatic paintings and greige will be the chosen colour.
    .-= Tania Metalli´s last blog ..New home. New Creatures =-.

13. Lynnie commented
    April 7th, 2010 at 8:19am

Well, none of my rooms are greige but I *am* wearing it on my nails today :)
    .-= Lynnie´s last blog ..I am cool. Mammy – and now Apartment Therapy – sez so. =-.

14. Becka @Studio222 Photography commented
    April 7th, 2010 at 8:59am

I could live in a greige house forever. We just painted our new studio space that color. :)

15. craftingahome commented
    April 7th, 2010 at 9:56am

Love it! I’ve got a bunch of paint chips hanging around my house right now and they range from greige to, well, greige. It’s an obsession.

k

16. Samia commented
    April 7th, 2010 at 10:18am

Heaven!! Oh what I would do to lay in that dreamy bedroom! And the kitchen, I’m in love with this soft color palette!

17. At Home with Kim Vallee commented
    April 7th, 2010 at 10:22am

What I like about greige is that it creates peaceful interiors that, for me, look far more sophisticated than a white room. If you are looking for a neutral basis, greige is the way to go. Thank you, Holly, for introducing this blog.
    .-= At Home with Kim Vallee´s last blog ..Colored Glass Accessories =-.

18. Andrea commented
    April 7th, 2010 at 11:19am

I love these photos. I have been thinking about going white and gray in our master bedroom for a while and these pictures give me some great ideas! Thanks for sharing. I have bookmarked their site!
    .-= Andrea´s last blog ..wow! =-.

19. Jane commented
    April 7th, 2010 at 2:41pm

I thought the word “greige” applied only to formerly white T-shirts that have gone greyish looking from bad laundering (mixing whites with darks) and wear and tear!

Anyway, I’m really liking “greige” as a colour for my living room. At first I thought the colour might be limiting but after looking at pics. from your wonderful blog and others I’m finding that the opposite is true. It seems to work with many, many colours.

20. holly commented
    April 7th, 2010 at 3:00pm

Sometimes I find this color palette to be so boring and blah. I love color!
    But this is so soothing…These images are gorgeous and there is something really nice about the muted palette. I LOVE IT!
    .-= holly´s last blog ..vintage cross =-.

21. Jamie commented
    April 7th, 2010 at 4:22pm

Greige is originally a textiles term meaning a cloth in its natural state, not bleached or dyed. I love that color a TON and love that it has become a trend.
    .-= Jamie´s last blog ..Random Loveliness =-.

22. agoodic commented
    April 7th, 2010 at 8:27pm

23. Andrew commented
    April 7th, 2010 at 8:36pm

The last photograph shown is the kitchen of Canadian “House & Home” publisher Linda Reeves in Toronto. Just an interesting factoid!
    .-= Andrew´s last blog ..Martha on Charlie Rose =-.

24. Leigha commented
    April 7th, 2010 at 8:42pm

Can it be?!?! A humble little mention of my tiny new blog on decor8?!?! I am beside myself with joy and so happy to have introduced two of my favorite blogs.
    .-= Leigha´s last blog ..Dinner bell… =-.

25. Christina @ My Sparrow commented
    April 7th, 2010 at 8:55pm

Thank you so much for all of the kind words! I simply cannot put into words how excited I am!

Best,
    Christina
    .-= Christina @ My Sparrow´s last blog ..White Hydrangeas and the new Marine woven basket set =-.

26. megan commented
    April 7th, 2010 at 9:01pm

need to bookmark this blog, pronto! thanks for sharing, holly. :)
    .-= megan´s last blog ..french braids. =-.

27. Charlotta commented
    April 8th, 2010 at 1:48am

Christina over at Greige is fantastic and I am literally licking my screen when reading her posts! Amazing take on style and who ever has not yet discovered her blog – well you are in for some amazing reading people!!

Elle Oh is also great – just discovered them. Thanks to Christina and this mention.

Great post!

xCharlotta
    .-= Charlotta´s last blog ..New blog love.. =-.

28. Jolette commented
    April 8th, 2010 at 1:56am

Oh, what fantastic rooms! I love the bedroom at the top and the dining room with the fireplace. Grey-and-white isn’t my favourite colour scheme, but these pics could sure change my mind. Great post!
    .-= Jolette´s last blog ..And here’s to you, Mrs Robinson =-.

29. katrin commented
    April 8th, 2010 at 3:32am

Dear Holly,
    I know exactly the irritated faces when it comes to the word “greige” “Häääää?” For me it`s all shapes of warm grays and even cobined with bright, I mean really bright colours, greige calms down, gives a little meditative moment, some space to breathe, profound insights . Personally I could never live in a flat without strong colours, but greige helps not to get crazy or be energized all day, makes me feel more grounded than while being surrounded with white as the neutral colour. Greige helps other colours to gloom, I love it.
    Thank you ladies for the pics!
    …and let`s enjoy the colour-explosions happening outside right now…hehe, perhaps wearing something greige would help not to fly, just to jump… ?????

30. katrin commented
    April 8th, 2010 at 3:33am

Dear Holly,
    Thank you ladies for the pics!

31. Petra :-) commented
    April 8th, 2010 at 3:48am

oooooh :-) *love* this post!! :-)

inbetween all the bright colours I am working/living every day with -and also love this- I need from time to time something neutral and greige became one of my favourite colours some years ago, too….but nobody knows ;-) ;-)

14 years ago I lived in a little one room apartment and everything was in white/greige and grey shades….giant windows -felt sometimes like living in the aquarium- heavy, pure white linen blinds, whitewashed wooden style “laminat” floor…still don´t want thinking about how much money I spent for this….I had to removed this beautiful floor when I moved out of the place….
    and whenever I went to Ikea at this time I bought only white, zinc metal stuff, chalky plastic kitchen bowls, stainless steel or so…. ;-)
    .-= Petra :-)´s last blog ..*magic shawls* =-.

32. Monika commented
    April 8th, 2010 at 5:19am

Hey, this greige blog is great :) and your’s too, both are my amazing discoveries of the week and both I already follow :)))

33. Tracey Chalk commented
    April 8th, 2010 at 3:57pm

My what beauty! Oh i do love you Decor8 and how i can miss a day or two and pop back in and see literally LOADS of amazing posts. Gush you are lush!

x

34. vosgesparis commented
    April 8th, 2010 at 4:47pm

yes this blog is my sister in crime…. the sister in greige.. ! we are both big lovers of grey ;) Even our bedrooms are a bit alike I just noticed oa;lthough there I have a purple touch what is beautiful with grey and white as well….

Well done for mentioning this blog!

desiree …vosgesparis…a story in frey and zink.
    .-= vosgesparis´s last blog ..Blue!! =-.

35. Judith of Felicity Crew commented
    April 9th, 2010 at 9:11am

Hm, now I’m wondering where I could add some greige in my appartment…
    .-= Judith of Felicity Crew´s last blog ..reserved listing for aek04cheer =-.

36. claude commented
    May 23rd, 2011 at 2:54am

This place is so relaxing. I can stay all day in this house.

37. Hej commented
    February 29th, 2012 at 9:38am

I’d have to consult you here. That may be not one thing I usually do! I love studying a post that will make people think. Also, thanks to get allowing me to comment!

38. Nadine commented
    November 8th, 2012 at 10:03am

Grey and “neige” (snow in French) love it!!!! The color combo reminds me of a peaceful snowfall!!!