Bloggers

Greige Blog

April 7, 2010

I’ve died and gone to heaven. Only it’s not white as I had thought, it’s greige! You know, I think the first time I heard the word greige was in a copy of Domino magazine. I think some market editor threw it out and it just stuck, sort of like those arrows that they put on everything to show you exactly where that IKEA cabinet is located in this room. The Domino arrows, who can forget those! Ha! Oh, the Domino days and the color greige!

Greige Blog

But yes, greige — the color that is gray and beige combined — but take note: it’s not just some hipster word it’s in the actual dictionary. Greige is a legitimate color and it’s also a very legitimate blog that I found yesterday via Elle Oh and wow – it’s so great I’ve added it as my blog of the week.

Greige Blog

Greige Blog

In addition to the blog, Greige is also the design firm of Christina Fluegge based in Orange Country, California who also has a shop called My Sparrow. If you love beige, gray, greige, white, black… clean and sophisticated design well then this blog is for you. Your own slice of heaven awaits…

I’m on my way out to the farmers’ market now for veggies and flowers so I’ll meet you back here in a few hours. It’s super sunny and 60s here so I’m shopping outdoors today!

(images: skona hem, rum, roland bello photography and canadian house & home)

You Might Also Like

38 Comments

• Reply Indie Mom and the Reluctant Banker April 7, 2010 at 4:36 am

Lovely pictures! To me the word ‘greige’ sounds sort of funny, like a bit of a joke somehow, but it’s actually a colour I quite like. I think it looks very and clean and sofisticated.
    .-= Indie Mom and the Reluctant Banker´s last blog ..Basco5 at Helvetikat =-.

• Reply Decofabulous April 7, 2010 at 5:18 am

Greige, I love it!! What an amazing blog; tasteful, elegant, comfortable and soothing interiors. Thank you for sharing.
    .-= Decofabulous´s last blog ..I dream about a LoftLife =-.

• Reply Mon April 7, 2010 at 5:30 am

I love this colours! They are so natural and warm and pure! Fantastic pick:)

• Reply Ludmila {CreamyLife.com} April 7, 2010 at 6:08 am

Wow, really nice color! To be straight, I didn’t know about greige, but it’s definitely a very chic color! xoxo
    .-= Ludmila {CreamyLife.com}´s last blog ..Normann-Copenhagen =-.

• Reply meltem April 7, 2010 at 6:39 am

well, i am in love with these kind of people who are really stable with their taste. me, oooh gosh, i like to have everything at the same time… i want natural, i want chic, i want glamor and ethnicity … i know i am a bit fickle :S but i love decoration :)

• Reply meltem April 7, 2010 at 6:39 am

.-= meltem´s last blog ..2010 Ilkbahar-Yaz Gelinlik ve Aksesuarlari =-.

• Reply White Cabana April 7, 2010 at 6:54 am

Great pics and thanks for all the links. I had a fun time exploring greige this morning.
    -Jordana
    .-= White Cabana´s last blog ..Spiral Light =-.

• Reply Charlotte April 7, 2010 at 6:54 am

I love the colour and the mixture of objects in the photographs. A mixture of new objects and found objects – a great combination o manmade and natural – very….open and refreshing – it makes me want to take a deep breath!

• Reply The Design Notebook April 7, 2010 at 7:07 am

I love white, grey and beige so greige is perfect for me. The blog looks amazing!
    .-= The Design Notebook´s last blog ..DREAM HOME =-.

• Reply PuroLino.it April 7, 2010 at 7:12 am

wonderful and intimate….

• Reply Molly @ Star Cottage April 7, 2010 at 7:42 am

I love white/neautral decor. So calm and relaxing. Living in white would be dreamy.
    .-= Molly @ Star Cottage´s last blog ..Shattered Homebirth Dreams =-.

• Reply Tania Metalli April 7, 2010 at 7:51 am

Beautiful blog, thanks for sharing.
    It also reminded me that I was planning to do a series of monochromatic paintings and greige will be the chosen colour.
    .-= Tania Metalli´s last blog ..New home. New Creatures =-.

• Reply Lynnie April 7, 2010 at 8:19 am

Well, none of my rooms are greige but I *am* wearing it on my nails today :)
    .-= Lynnie´s last blog ..I am cool. Mammy – and now Apartment Therapy – sez so. =-.

• Reply Becka @Studio222 Photography April 7, 2010 at 8:59 am

I could live in a greige house forever. We just painted our new studio space that color. :)

• Reply craftingahome April 7, 2010 at 9:56 am

Love it! I’ve got a bunch of paint chips hanging around my house right now and they range from greige to, well, greige. It’s an obsession.

k

• Reply Samia April 7, 2010 at 10:18 am

Heaven!! Oh what I would do to lay in that dreamy bedroom! And the kitchen, I’m in love with this soft color palette!

• Reply At Home with Kim Vallee April 7, 2010 at 10:22 am

What I like about greige is that it creates peaceful interiors that, for me, look far more sophisticated than a white room. If you are looking for a neutral basis, greige is the way to go. Thank you, Holly, for introducing this blog.
    .-= At Home with Kim Vallee´s last blog ..Colored Glass Accessories =-.

• Reply Andrea April 7, 2010 at 11:19 am

I love these photos. I have been thinking about going white and gray in our master bedroom for a while and these pictures give me some great ideas! Thanks for sharing. I have bookmarked their site!
    .-= Andrea´s last blog ..wow! =-.

• Reply Jane April 7, 2010 at 2:41 pm

I thought the word “greige” applied only to formerly white T-shirts that have gone greyish looking from bad laundering (mixing whites with darks) and wear and tear!

Anyway, I’m really liking “greige” as a colour for my living room. At first I thought the colour might be limiting but after looking at pics. from your wonderful blog and others I’m finding that the opposite is true. It seems to work with many, many colours.

• Reply holly April 7, 2010 at 3:00 pm

Sometimes I find this color palette to be so boring and blah. I love color!
    But this is so soothing…These images are gorgeous and there is something really nice about the muted palette. I LOVE IT!
    .-= holly´s last blog ..vintage cross =-.

• Reply Jamie April 7, 2010 at 4:22 pm

Greige is originally a textiles term meaning a cloth in its natural state, not bleached or dyed. I love that color a TON and love that it has become a trend.
    .-= Jamie´s last blog ..Random Loveliness =-.

• Reply agoodic April 7, 2010 at 8:27 pm

• Reply Andrew April 7, 2010 at 8:36 pm

The last photograph shown is the kitchen of Canadian “House & Home” publisher Linda Reeves in Toronto. Just an interesting factoid!
    .-= Andrew´s last blog ..Martha on Charlie Rose =-.

• Reply Leigha April 7, 2010 at 8:42 pm

Can it be?!?! A humble little mention of my tiny new blog on decor8?!?! I am beside myself with joy and so happy to have introduced two of my favorite blogs.
    .-= Leigha´s last blog ..Dinner bell… =-.

• Reply Christina @ My Sparrow April 7, 2010 at 8:55 pm

Thank you so much for all of the kind words! I simply cannot put into words how excited I am!

Best,
    Christina
    .-= Christina @ My Sparrow´s last blog ..White Hydrangeas and the new Marine woven basket set =-.

• Reply megan April 7, 2010 at 9:01 pm

need to bookmark this blog, pronto! thanks for sharing, holly. :)
    .-= megan´s last blog ..french braids. =-.

• Reply Charlotta April 8, 2010 at 1:48 am

Christina over at Greige is fantastic and I am literally licking my screen when reading her posts! Amazing take on style and who ever has not yet discovered her blog – well you are in for some amazing reading people!!

Elle Oh is also great – just discovered them. Thanks to Christina and this mention.

Great post!

xCharlotta
    .-= Charlotta´s last blog ..New blog love.. =-.

• Reply Jolette April 8, 2010 at 1:56 am

Oh, what fantastic rooms! I love the bedroom at the top and the dining room with the fireplace. Grey-and-white isn’t my favourite colour scheme, but these pics could sure change my mind. Great post!
    .-= Jolette´s last blog ..And here’s to you, Mrs Robinson =-.

• Reply katrin April 8, 2010 at 3:32 am

Dear Holly,
    I know exactly the irritated faces when it comes to the word “greige” “Häääää?” For me it`s all shapes of warm grays and even cobined with bright, I mean really bright colours, greige calms down, gives a little meditative moment, some space to breathe, profound insights . Personally I could never live in a flat without strong colours, but greige helps not to get crazy or be energized all day, makes me feel more grounded than while being surrounded with white as the neutral colour. Greige helps other colours to gloom, I love it.
    Thank you ladies for the pics!
    …and let`s enjoy the colour-explosions happening outside right now…hehe, perhaps wearing something greige would help not to fly, just to jump… ?????

• Reply katrin April 8, 2010 at 3:33 am

Dear Holly,
    Thank you ladies for the pics!

• Reply Petra :-) April 8, 2010 at 3:48 am

oooooh :-) *love* this post!! :-)

inbetween all the bright colours I am working/living every day with -and also love this- I need from time to time something neutral and greige became one of my favourite colours some years ago, too….but nobody knows ;-) ;-)

14 years ago I lived in a little one room apartment and everything was in white/greige and grey shades….giant windows -felt sometimes like living in the aquarium- heavy, pure white linen blinds, whitewashed wooden style “laminat” floor…still don´t want thinking about how much money I spent for this….I had to removed this beautiful floor when I moved out of the place….
    and whenever I went to Ikea at this time I bought only white, zinc metal stuff, chalky plastic kitchen bowls, stainless steel or so…. ;-)
    .-= Petra :-)´s last blog ..*magic shawls* =-.

• Reply Monika April 8, 2010 at 5:19 am

Hey, this greige blog is great :) and your’s too, both are my amazing discoveries of the week and both I already follow :)))

• Reply Tracey Chalk April 8, 2010 at 3:57 pm

My what beauty! Oh i do love you Decor8 and how i can miss a day or two and pop back in and see literally LOADS of amazing posts. Gush you are lush!

x

• Reply vosgesparis April 8, 2010 at 4:47 pm

yes this blog is my sister in crime…. the sister in greige.. ! we are both big lovers of grey ;) Even our bedrooms are a bit alike I just noticed oa;lthough there I have a purple touch what is beautiful with grey and white as well….

Well done for mentioning this blog!

desiree …vosgesparis…a story in frey and zink.
    .-= vosgesparis´s last blog ..Blue!! =-.

• Reply Judith of Felicity Crew April 9, 2010 at 9:11 am

Hm, now I’m wondering where I could add some greige in my appartment…
    .-= Judith of Felicity Crew´s last blog ..reserved listing for aek04cheer =-.

• Reply claude May 23, 2011 at 2:54 am

This place is so relaxing. I can stay all day in this house.

• Reply Hej February 29, 2012 at 9:38 am

I’d have to consult you here. That may be not one thing I usually do! I love studying a post that will make people think. Also, thanks to get allowing me to comment!

• Reply Nadine November 8, 2012 at 10:03 am

Grey and “neige” (snow in French) love it!!!! The color combo reminds me of a peaceful snowfall!!!