Books + Magazines, Inspiration

Inside Out: Desktop

April 8, 2010

I’m crazy about the 10th Anniversary Issue of Australian interiors magazine Inside Out. It just arrived in the mail 3 seconds ago (I subscribe but sadly I didn’t get the tea towel designed by the Rob Ryan with mine — wah!) and I’m already drooling on the spread called Desktop featured on pages 151-157 styled by Vanessa Colyer Tay (a favorite style editor of mine). Desktop shows how to create a space on your desk that reflects your own personal style but that also inspires you — it doesn’t give tips in text as much as visual inspiration showing a natural theme, a vintage-inspired one and finally a feminine approach — and all are stunning! In case you do not have access to the magazine, here is a glimpse of what I’m talking about… you may click to enlarge each image below to see some of the details. Because people, it’s all about the details in life — am I right?!?

Inside Out: Desktop

Inside Out: Desktop

Inside Out: Desktop

Inside Out: Desktop

I love both the natural and feminine desktops the best. The photographs were shot for the magazine by Sam McAdam who has one of the most beautiful portfolios that I’ve ever seen online — her work is styled to perfection but not fussy and it’s just gorgeous….

Isn’t this inspiring? LOVE. IT. In fact, something as simple as a few pages, expertly done of course, can give me inspiration for weeks to come…which is what makes Inside Out such a treat because with each issue I know I’m going to find plenty of goodies to satisfy the cost of my foreign subscription to their delightful magazine. If you are able, definitely pick up this issue –or subscribe —  you will adore everything in it though their 10th Anniversary Issue is by far my favorite to date. The spread on Lee Mathews and their Art Market article are also faves of mine along with the colorful home of fashion stylist Nicole Bonython-Hines – her black “Japan” flooring is stunning.

(images: holly becker for decor8)

22 Comments

• Reply Heather April 8, 2010 at 6:03 am

I love this magazine too and I’m surprised that none of my friends and contemporaries here in London seem to know about it – the styling shots and subject matters are really good. Of course, you have your finger on the pulse and this post means that I do to… Yay!
    .-= Heather´s last blog ..Parisian palettes =-.

• Reply Laura April 8, 2010 at 6:22 am

Hi Holly,
    I bought my copy yesterday, and like you, I just love it. I look forward to every Inside Out issue, and I think their Christmas issues are the best by far than any.
    .-= Laura´s last blog ..Sunday Purchase =-.

• Reply dana | yellowtrace blog April 8, 2010 at 6:34 am

Oh Holly, I am so with you. I am just formatting my own “tribute to Inside Out’s 10th anniversary issue” post! It’s rocking.
    x dana

• Reply Ludmila {CreamyLife.com} April 8, 2010 at 6:37 am

Yes, Holly,you’re right, life is just about small things you put in! This magazine sounds really good.

• Reply Caro-lines-images April 8, 2010 at 7:03 am

Looks like a magazine to get hold of. And thanks for the link to the magazine, lots of great links there.
    .-= Caro-lines-images´s last blog ..Almost same-same =-.

• Reply Jane April 8, 2010 at 7:23 am

I’m just about to curl up in bed to read it – can’t wait! :)
    .-= Jane´s last blog ..Doh a Deer =-.

• Reply Samantha April 8, 2010 at 10:53 am

I’ll have to wait for the April edition as they are imported into the Island, I’ll have to make do with the Jan/Feb one for now, (we are that far behind) its funny but I buy an Australian magazine and its full of London design week!
    .-= Samantha´s last blog ..The First Steps, keeping it organised. =-.

• Reply Anna Gavrilov April 8, 2010 at 10:55 am

You should know, that you are just amazing!
    I’m so inspired by you.

• Reply Ailish April 8, 2010 at 12:23 pm

Ooh….I just love Rob Ryan too! I bought one of his tea-towels in Liberty when I was in London after christmas. Then, when I was back in London a few weeks ago, wandering down Columbia Road flower market enjoying the blooms, what should I see only his studio! Was fab :)
    .-= Ailish´s last blog ..Peaceful garden =-.

• Reply Janine April 8, 2010 at 12:34 pm

Oh my god, that is GORGEOUS!
    I’ll be making my way to our massive Barnes & Noble later to try to find it. Thanks for sharing; Ive been looking for a new magazine as well!

• Reply Elle April 8, 2010 at 1:56 pm

I would have cried about the tea towel too. I adore Rob Ryan and stalk his East London gallery store about once a month to admire all the loveliness.
    .-= Elle´s last blog ..Blog name change =-.

• Reply Nicola April 8, 2010 at 2:29 pm

I LOVE that magazine and especially looking forward to Rob Ryan T Towel. It isn’t out here yet in NZ – hope it hurries up, we are not far from Australia!! I hate it how you don’t get the extra goodies with subscriptions!
    .-= Nicola´s last blog ..Home Love: London Townhouse =-.

• Reply Melissa Allam April 8, 2010 at 3:46 pm

These desktops certainly inspire me and so does that magazine. It just might be worth it for me to subscribe. I’m feeling a little magazine deprived lately. Haven’t seen much that I like since all the good ones have been discontinued except for Real Simple.
    .-= Melissa Allam´s last blog ..Thursdays Creative Thrift =-.

• Reply Alex Louisa April 8, 2010 at 5:10 pm

My desk is one of my favourite things to decorate, especially since I spend the vast majority of every day here – makes sense! And I’m sure your work is that much better if you have an inspiring workspace. Thanks for the reminder to go and get the latest issue of Inside Out! Each issue of that mag is even better than the last :)

• Reply Lee Tran April 8, 2010 at 6:59 pm

Wow, thank you for the lovely write-up of the mag. Everyone here at Inside Out is so chuffed about this – especially Vanessa, our superstar stylist! She did an amazing job on that story. Sadly, the cost of sending out tea towels with international subscriptions was too expensive, but please drop me a line (to the email in this comment), and I’ll arrange for one to be sent to you as a thank-you!
    x
    .-= Lee Tran´s last blog ..Birthday issue, now on sale! =-.

• Reply decor8 April 9, 2010 at 12:35 am

Lee Tran – Oh thank you but so many readers have offered me their towels and well, I just can’t do it. Everyone can keep their lovely tea towels I really don’t “need” one. It is more of a want. :) But Lee it’s fine, really! But thank you for offering.

By the way Lee, does Vanessa have her own website? I tried to find one and could not.

• Reply gretchenmist/belinda April 8, 2010 at 10:06 pm

i share your love for this mag! i subscribe too. i was impressed by the ‘darker’ feeling of this issue too ~ it has coincided with the autumn change in light!
    .-= gretchenmist/belinda´s last blog ..my creative space =-.

• Reply vosgesparis April 9, 2010 at 7:08 am

Thanks for sharing this! Some time ago I was approached by a dutch interior magazin to write a blog post for the magazine, and the way they presented my blog in the paper magazine looked a lot like this. Really personal ;)
    desiree
    .-= vosgesparis´s last blog ..Blue!! =-.

• Reply Judith of Felicity Crew April 9, 2010 at 10:59 am

Aww, I want this!
    .-= Judith of Felicity Crew´s last blog ..reserved listing for aek04cheer =-.

• Reply jules @ The Diversion Project April 10, 2010 at 7:42 am

Yep, they really nailed it for their 10th. This issue is fabulous!

• Reply Lee Tran Lam April 14, 2010 at 8:08 pm

Sadly, Vanessa doesn’t have her own site (although she should). We are very happy to give you a tea-towel, it’s the least we could do for your very nice write-up and wonderful support of the magazine. Just email me your snail-mail address and I’ll make sure you get one! Thanks again!

• Reply decor8 April 15, 2010 at 3:01 am

Lee — You are too kind but I don’t want anything at all in return for mentioning your magazine, really! But what a kind gesture, thank you!