DIY Cat Bed via Hindsvik

I don’t have pets but I grew up with cats, dogs and a parakeet named Snoopy who was my BFF for several years. I’ll always have a soft spot for sweet little animals plus I’m hoping to adopt a fur kid in the near future and I’m currently trying to make a decision – cat or dog? Today when I came across this simple DIY cat bed that Daniel & Valeria at Hindsvik posted on their blog I knew I had to direct you over to see it. If you love clean, modern lines and have a pet (let’s face it, most pet stores do not have tons of cool options for beds!), this project just may be the cat’s meow!

Hindsvik - DIY Cat Bed

Visit Hindsvik to see the entire step-by-step process.

Hindsvik

And a huge P.S. — they also have a really rad etsy shop where they sell vintage goodies. I am DYING to own this snail planter

(image: hindsvik)

Posted by decor8 in diy, vintage on April 21, 2010

1. Masha commented
    April 21st, 2010 at 8:22am

:) My Felix would love that… I have noticed that he also appreciates simple and clean design.
    .-= Masha´s last blog ..Thread Balls Looking for a Home =-.

2. Anja commented
    April 21st, 2010 at 8:24am

Let’s face it: Once you’ve got a cat it will be using your bed and sofa anyway. If you’re lucky it will not deprive you of your cushion…

3. Chrissa commented
    April 21st, 2010 at 8:38am

Thank you so much for pointing me to Hindsvik, Holly.

I love the planter, the letters, the keys, etc.

Loooove it!
    .-= Chrissa´s last blog ..Oh, what I wouldn’t do with a lot of time and a little bit of money =-.

4. Shanon commented
    April 21st, 2010 at 8:43am

You better snatch up that planter or I might! =) Great shop.
    .-= Shanon´s last blog ..…the perfect day… =-.

5. decor8 commented
    April 21st, 2010 at 8:48am

Shanon — I think I will leave it for you honey. I have 80 boxes in my cellar that still need to be unpacked… I really can’t fit anything else until we move and get everything sorted out. :*( But I want it SO BAD.

6. ivy style33 commented
    April 21st, 2010 at 8:48am

Hello there :)

I love these people and their home and shop, so I was naturally attracted to this post….like a bee to flowers!…I also adore pets and grew up with and had dogs in home and various garden cats.

As for the choice, I trully think it’s a matter of heart, meaning which animal attracts you better, but also a practical issue. Having a dog requires a lot of commitement and attention, spending time with him or her, going on long walks, providing them adequate space to move ( it’s hard – and so sad – to see that huge dogs are sometimes squeezed in a small apartment in the name of…dog love, which is rather…dog fashion!) playing with them, washing/combing them and so on and so on…

Cats just need food and visits to the vet. They’ll decide when to come close to you or just play on their own. They don’t require walks or so much care.They are adorable and fun to watch playing but more independent!

In the end, it’s about which animal will “speak” to you…having adopted all of our dogs from stray shelters ( unbelievable what lovely, beautiful dogs can be abandoned!) it was always about which animal also chose us. Then, there is a more meaningful connection and the whole process acquires some true meaning.

It’s a little more complicated and deeper than choosing for example….let’s say…accessories for our living environment, as we get to live with them for long long years and they also get attached to us…so it’s rather a matter of both the mind and the heart!

Whatever you choose, may you spend lovely, happy time with them! Animals are so rewarding!
    .-= ivy style33´s last blog ..When the shades of soul are open… =-.

7. Melissa commented
    April 21st, 2010 at 8:56am

Thank you so much for sharing this. It has been added to my things to do. I have two cats that will love this.

Melissa

8. Sarah commented
    April 21st, 2010 at 8:58am

If you added a curtain to that it would be the most perfect kitty hideaway ever.
    .-= Sarah´s last blog ..Daily Blossom =-.

9. Melissa de la Fuente commented
    April 21st, 2010 at 9:02am

Such a good idea! Oh man…..that little snail planter is going to haunt me! I LOVE him! eek. :)
    xo
    Melis
    .-= Melissa de la Fuente´s last blog ..Cheap & Chic: a skirt =-.

10. Erin commented
    April 21st, 2010 at 9:38am

Their vintage items are so lovely!

11. Jessica commented
    April 21st, 2010 at 10:06am

Oooh, too cute! Esp if made slightly smaller than you think it ought to be for your cat…don’t they just love small spaces that they *just* fit into?

Dog or cat? Tough one. I agree with all of ivystyle33’s points up there. Dogs require much more attention than cats…if you travel a lot you’ll always have to consider what to do with the dog. I’m trying to decide if I can get a dog right now, they do change your lifestyle. But they’re so lovey!!! Good luck!
    .-= Jessica´s last blog ..A room of her own =-.

12. Anja commented
    April 21st, 2010 at 10:46am

The dog-or-cat question is also al legal one – since you are renting in Germany. A landlord cannot rule out a cat. It is up to him though whether you will be allowed a dog.

13. jessica commented
    April 21st, 2010 at 11:07am

aww, that cat bed is lovely.

14. sajjal commented
    April 22nd, 2010 at 4:01am

kitty gonna love her new bed but first i’ve to make it and those old keys on the wall will add a unique accent, love the post

15. lady a. commented
    April 22nd, 2010 at 12:57pm

I’m not sure whether I fancy the cat’s bed more or maybe rather the cat;)

16. Raina Kattelson commented
    April 22nd, 2010 at 4:23pm

Love it! would be perfect sized up for my dog charlie as well.
    .-= Raina Kattelson´s last blog ..In the garden =-.

17. Malisams commented
    April 22nd, 2010 at 6:23pm

I tried giving my cat a bed once. She promptly turned her wet little nose up to it and continues to sleep on our bed, the back of the couch, in the closet, on top of ANY clothes left out, in my office chair…basically everywhere BUT the bed.

Le sigh. Cats. :)

18. holly commented
    April 23rd, 2010 at 7:35am

I love hindsvik and have been stalking their etsy site often! love them – love their work!
    .-= holly´s last blog ..Bulwer’s Works Antique Book 1892 Coined the Phrase -It was a Dark and Stormy Night =-.

19. kyle commented
    April 23rd, 2010 at 1:02pm

As for the cat/dog question….dog!

But either way, please adopt! I work with a rescue and going to start my own–there are SO many homeless pets. :)

LOVE your blog!

20. Nia commented
    April 24th, 2010 at 1:47am

I have two dogs and two cats. If you value your independence, get a cat. If you value your furniture, get a dog.

21. tezgah commented
    July 1st, 2010 at 1:14pm

I love the cat and the bed.