uncategorized

Weekend Inspiration

April 23, 2010

Let’s look at some stylish spaces for a moment to relax our minds just a bit… the weekend is fast approaching so it’s time to start thinking about what you will do at home for comfort over the next few days. Perhaps these photos will be a starting point for you – giving you subtle hints as to how something can be arranged a little differently to bring in a special feeling or even some colors seen below may spark an idea or two for a new wall color or some art you’ve been meaning to work on. Please visit the links below each photo to make a few new Flickr friends, too!

Weekend Inspiration

{{ Jardino}}

Such a pretty way to arrange simple glass bottles.

Weekend Inspiration

{{ i L’aria }}

I love the charm captured in this photo. It reminds me of sitting at the table with my mother as she would love this cup and those linens.

Weekend Inspiration

{{ i L’aria }}

The big wooden blue clogs add some humor to this arrangement and the ceramics are very simple and lovely. I also like the handmade flowers on the wall, what a pretty and affordable creative installation!

Weekend Inspiration

{{ frau sieben }}

I love the yellow blender, I want to find one just like it and buy it! I also like the wallpaper, the color is one of my favorite shades of blue. The enamel and ceramic canisters speak to me too.

Weekend Inspiration

{{ design ace30 }}

Blues and greens can rarely go wrong. This arrangement of things reminds me of the coast. The texture of the boxes, the hardware on the cabinet, the vase that mimics both sea glass and waves… what a nice combination of objects.

Weekend Inspiration

{{ renee anne }}

I like this arrangement of girly art and that pretty glass lamp completes it nicely. It feels very welcoming and soft, like the person who arranged all of these things has a big, sweet heart.

Weekend Inspiration

{{ Eileen Josephine }}

I see these chairs in many homes but never, ever tire of them because the shape is classic and the combination of white and wood speaks to me, I always gravitate towards natural wood and white. I also like the massive inspiration/work board above the desk, it’s practical but also gives room to display work with inspirational things.

Weekend Inspiration

{{ Jardino }}

Words are simply not needed. This photo is stunning.

Weekend Inspiration

{{ Ishtar Olivera }}

What a relaxed photo! I like seeing the rubber stamps, ink pads and pens, and the other artsy things on this work surface — it’s inspiring and makes we want to get creative with my hands because there is such freedom and joy in making something for yourself or for a loved one.

Weekend Inspiration

{{ wood & wool stool }}

I’ve always loved walls like this — with wallpaper handmade out of magazine tear sheets. The homemade crochet blanket casually placed on the wrought iron bed next to the pillow with the dainty country pattern feels like the perfect place to curl up and read. This also makes me imagine the perfect guest bedroom and some of the elements that I always loved whenever I’d stay on my grandparents farm — the linens that were always clothesline fresh, the vintage pillowcases (none of my grandmother’s linens matched) and the little twin bed that I slept in.

What will you do this weekend at home? I wish I had a more glamorous agenda but well, I plan to organize my pile of books! Imagine a stack of books that is 6 feet tall looming next to my sofa, it’s quite intimidating!  This is not a good way to treat beautiful art and design books and when half of the stack fell on me last night I realized that they are trying to tell me something. I plan to arrange them better this weekend (I just have no idea how or where) because this isn’t working so well. I also need to organize my kitchen cabinets and order a china cabinet of some sort to place things in because I’ve run out of storage – eek! I plan to do some shopping and take a day trip to a nearby city too.

What about you, will you be doing anything home-related over the next few days? What?

(images: linked to their sources above.)

You Might Also Like

44 Comments

• Reply Ilaria April 23, 2010 at 12:40 pm

Thank you Holly!
    This is a very nice gift for my week end!!

Many hugs
    Ilaria

• Reply Emily April 23, 2010 at 12:55 pm

Great images to take with me into the weekend. Thanks, Holly! I hope you have a truly restorative weekend. All my best to you!
    .-= Emily´s last blog ..earth week: cloth produce bags =-.

• Reply decor8 April 23, 2010 at 12:59 pm

Oh thank you Emily. :) Same to you!

• Reply cathie hong April 23, 2010 at 1:02 pm

beautiful images! i love the yellow blender as well :]

• Reply Ludmila {CreamyLife.com} April 23, 2010 at 1:04 pm

I LOVE this post! Might be my favorite one here on Decor8! This is pure delight! You just made my day (and a great start for my weekend!). Wish you to have an amazing weekend!
    .-= Ludmila {CreamyLife.com}´s last blog ..Brooklyn Flower School =-.

• Reply Sarah April 23, 2010 at 1:19 pm

Jardin: oh my gosh! Such beeaaauuutiful flowers!

frau sieben: love, love, LOVE the wallpaper!
    .-= Sarah´s last blog ..Sleep =-.

• Reply Jenny April 23, 2010 at 1:22 pm

What a beautiful collection of images! Thanks so much for all the ideas – they did inspire some weekend mini-projects, just as you had intended :)

• Reply Kendall April 23, 2010 at 1:26 pm

I love the first pic! Stargazer lilies are my fav :)
    .-= Kendall´s last blog ..Lilly Pulitzer Fabric for Lee Jofa =-.

• Reply Ylva April 23, 2010 at 1:33 pm

I love the photo with the white desk and the two chairs. Very simple and inspiring sine I will soon have a new office to decorate : )
    .-= Ylva´s last blog ..Pimpad leksakslåda =-.

• Reply Elizabeth April 23, 2010 at 1:37 pm

beautiful post, from top to bottom.

thanks for sharing and have a wonderful weekend!
    .-= Elizabeth´s last blog ..{happy earth day and night} =-.

• Reply Shanon April 23, 2010 at 1:41 pm

Gosh you have some fab shots in this post. So many talents. My plans for this weekend include trying to head over to a grand opening for a new florist and home shop called Spruce, to paint the trim on our house, and to get the hedges trimmed up. My biggest plan is to get ready to paint all my cabinets and trim in our kitchen next week. Who knew there were so many whites?!?
    Happy weekend to you Holly!
    .-= Shanon´s last blog ..Hiya! Spring style and random things I pick up… =-.

• Reply liza April 23, 2010 at 1:43 pm

Ahhhh. Thank you! We’ve already started some Spring cleaning, and I’m taking a break right now from scrubbing the bathroom floor – literally hands and knees with a scrub brush. For some reason, the work is immensely satisfying… a fresh start. Have a great weekend, Holly. Thank you for being here.
    .-= liza´s last blog ..Weekend Auctions =-.

• Reply jessica April 23, 2010 at 2:27 pm

very lovely. i really like that desk.

• Reply ishatr olivera April 23, 2010 at 2:35 pm

Thank you Holly for sahring these lovely images and including mine. I also liked very much that you wrote your perception about each one below. It was great to read that!
    Have a wonderful weekend , rest, breath, smile , enjoy! : )
    .-= ishatr olivera´s last blog ..Margaritas + Photo tutorial ( coming soon) =-.

• Reply Emily April 23, 2010 at 2:36 pm

Laundry. Not very exciting, but sitting at the laundromat with a book is a pretty relaxing way to spend part of Saturday.

And sanding a chair so I can repaint it! This is the exciting part – already found great fabric for the seat.

Have a wonderful weekend!
    .-= Emily´s last blog ..The Dream Keeper =-.

• Reply heidi April 23, 2010 at 2:42 pm

Oh what a lovely post.
    I loved every photo!
    .-= heidi´s last blog ..I could live in a shack? =-.

• Reply winter April 23, 2010 at 2:46 pm

Sewing- I have just started with a class at a wonderful independant sewing shop. Very inspirational to be learning with other people. Eating, sleeping and basically catching up on life. Thank you for these gentle photos to start the creative side of weejend- have a good one,

• Reply sideoats + scribbles (Lisa) April 23, 2010 at 3:15 pm

Hi Holly! What a great post, love all of the photos. Bet that blender would have fun hanging out with my orange toaster, hee hee. I have a huge list of things I *want* to do this weekend — our first one home in weeks — but I’ll be happy don’t any of them!

– Sleep in and then have pancakes for breakfast :)

– Make cards for Mother’s Day for J’s mom + grandma and my grandma

– Stamp some wooden discs with a doily and paint to make coasters

– Take a trip to Ikea to get some new pots and freshen up my houseplants — they have some super simple white pots that I adore!

– Photograph wildflowers

– Make Vietnamese coffee — just got back from the grocery store, have condensed milk at the ready! :)

– Do a little crochet

– Make a pincushion (found a pattern for one that looks like a stump! but have to dust off my embroidery skills to do the woodgrain…!)

Happy weekend hugs!
    .-= sideoats + scribbles (Lisa)´s last blog ..What a surprise… =-.

• Reply hena tayeb April 23, 2010 at 3:25 pm

loving all the flowers.. the glass bottles look gorgeous.. love even more the white flowers on the wall..

• Reply Katherine April 23, 2010 at 3:26 pm

Not sure if you realize this, but aside from the 2 pink flower pictures, each of these has a yummy blue in it! :) They’re all lovely.

Enjoy your weekend, whatever you do–I can sense your frustration about your cramped quarters & I hope you can find some relief until you find your future home! I feel ya.
    .-= Katherine´s last blog ..seeing seductive sights =-.

• Reply Lisa April 23, 2010 at 3:40 pm

What a wonderful group of photos – The last one has inspired me to start assembling my crocheted hexagons into an afghan. So, I guess that means that this week-end, I may actually finish a personal project (a rarity for me) – Yay! Thanks for the inspiration!
    .-= Lisa´s last blog ..Mysterious Egg =-.

• Reply A Casa da Vá April 23, 2010 at 6:34 pm

That is what i call inspiring! So beautiful… yeah I will be hanging art on my walls =)
    .-= A Casa da Vá ´s last blog ..For the love of unique hotel experiences… and France =-.

• Reply Jillian April 23, 2010 at 6:51 pm

The images from Jardino are breathtaking!
    .-= Jillian´s last blog ..Hazel and Hunter =-.

• Reply Melissa Allam April 23, 2010 at 7:41 pm

ahhh, these pictures are quite inspiring, nothing like ending the day with a workout at the gym and coming home and doing a little blog reading. I plan to organize some of my time, because my schedule has changed and I’ve seemed to have lost some of my time for blogging and visiting blogging friends. I’m going to see some friends in a play as well, which should be lots of fun. Thank you for the little respite here. I hope your able to find a little more space for all your organzing needs. A wonderful weekend to you!
    .-= Melissa Allam´s last blog ..Weekend Delights! =-.

• Reply fai April 24, 2010 at 12:02 am

Thank you for sharing these. They are stunning!
    .-= fai´s last blog ..Lovely + Inspiring { Pretty Picnic } =-.

• Reply ivy style33 April 24, 2010 at 1:28 am

Such lovely pictures!
    I especially love the paper flowers Ilaria made and this is a craft project to certainly keep in mind for future use.
    I also love her shawl – mug – paper crane & embroidered linen picture so much! So nice to see it here, as its one of my current favorites!

The flowers are also beautiful, beyond words can describe, as very trully stated.

As for weekend plans, there are actually a lot of things to be taken care off, as I’ve rather fallen behind on my Spring to do list.
    I feel rather drained lately, so I don’t know if I’ll find the…appetite to engage into doing any of them.

Still, I’ll do my best to enjoy this weekend, since it already seems that weather wise it is and will be a blessed one!

Happy weekend to you and all!

P.S:….cought up with reading all the current posts here as we were away for a few days….all my best wishes for your father, I understand how hard this must be, especially given the history that you described.

And to end with a happy note, congratulations on your co-authoring book, which will be a lovely one, I’m sure!….and one that will make many, many coffetables smile ( and their owners!)
    .-= ivy style33´s last blog ..Fragments of life…. =-.

• Reply renee anne April 24, 2010 at 1:49 am

thank you so much holly for including my image in this amazing post. the things you said really make me smile, and will make me smile for the rest of the weekend and more!!

also makes me feel extra proud that I spent all morning cleaning so how I can play and decorate to my hearts content!!

have a lovely weekend. xox
    .-= renee anne´s last blog ..life // moving house =-.

• Reply Mareike April 24, 2010 at 2:17 am

The pictures are great! I especially like the white chairs in Eileen Josephine´s picture very much. Do you know where I could get those?
    Happy weekend!

• Reply manon April 24, 2010 at 5:22 am

merci pour ces belles découvertes

Amicalement

Manon
    .-= manon´s last blog ..Arbre de Judée =-.

• Reply juliette April 24, 2010 at 5:29 am

3 garden parties + 1 flea market + hayfever + sunshine = I’m going outside anyhow! =P

It’s just too nice to stay indoors and do work or even acknowledge the sewing project that’s calling my name!
    .-= juliette´s last blog ..Sewing a tunic: gathering inspiration =-.

• Reply Frau Mayer April 24, 2010 at 7:13 am

Packing, packing, packing and being happy and excited about my move :)

@ Eileen Josephine
    IKEA :) Where else?
    .-= Frau Mayer´s last blog ..FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEDOM =-.

• Reply Janine April 24, 2010 at 9:14 am

Thanks Holly for your amazing comments and for including my images here on Decor8 – it means so very much to me!! I’m so happy and smiling from ear to ear… hope you have a wonderful weekend! x Janine (Jardino)
    .-= Janine´s last blog ..Every cloud has a silver lining. =-.

• Reply Nuit April 24, 2010 at 11:27 am

Just what I needed! so nice…..

• Reply TeaButterfly April 24, 2010 at 12:09 pm

hello Holly!

and thanks for the inspiration!

just what i needed… I am a little behind laundry washing, washing the dishes, mopping the floors etc… so I started by going to the farmer’s market for some fresk flowers. ;-)

here they are : http://www.flickr.com/photos/teabutterfly/4547295417/

now, on with the mundame but necessary! :-)

-Vic
    .-= TeaButterfly´s last blog ..Tea with Jjjjound.com =-.

• Reply Tanya April 24, 2010 at 2:09 pm

I love the flowers on the wall above the clogs. So cute!
    .-= Tanya´s last blog ..It’s a Brunch Cocktail Kinda Day =-.

• Reply Punctuation Mark April 24, 2010 at 2:13 pm

Very inspirational!!! love these images… have a nice one!
    .-= Punctuation Mark´s last blog ..Hello Weekend! =-.

• Reply Traci April 24, 2010 at 5:17 pm

Love the gorgeous flowers! I always want to place fresh flowers throughout my home but have a crazy cat who loves to knock over vases and drink the water. Elliott and I have a love/hate relationship! Thanks for sharing so I can dream. haha
    .-= Traci´s last blog ..New Creation =-.

• Reply bluevancouverskies April 24, 2010 at 10:32 pm

Lovely photos! I especially enjoy those handmade flowers on the wall!

• Reply Amy April 25, 2010 at 12:57 am

nothing home related this weekend for me… some time with family and the husband which will be great – but otherwise i am in busy season so lots of work to be done, and some time spent designing a new poster today, which was fun…

so in love with all the interiors you shared! for all the books – i’ve seen books as art a bunch lately – or even as furniture? we live in a small space so most of our books are in storage or have been sold :( oh! have you seen those invisible bookshelves? i’ve always wanted to try them out – google images had some neat ideas and some good pics of them: http://tinyurl.com/32ye3y8

hope your weekend was lovely! :)
    .-= Amy´s last blog ..The Gals of Got Craft =-.

• Reply Gosia Maj April 25, 2010 at 1:12 am

Beautiful, creative images. I enjoyed your comments to each of the pics. Each was a great design lesson. Thank you for sharing.
    .-= Gosia Maj´s last blog ..This Cat is Gentle, Intelligent, and Affectionate =-.

• Reply ANETTESHUS.COM April 25, 2010 at 11:46 am

A lovely post! Beautiful photos! L love them all:)

xx
    Anette:)

p.s. be sure to join my big 1000 000 giveaway, Holly!!!

• Reply Ijeoma April 25, 2010 at 12:11 pm

I went to the antique market today and took some lovely pictures to post on my blog. However my phone lost internet connection whilst sending the pics to my laptop. Stupidly, I didn’t confirm that the images were sent before (first time ever – I swear) hitting the delete photos button, so now they are gone!

:-(
    .-= Ijeoma´s last blog ..Glass House =-.

• Reply klausandheidi April 26, 2010 at 8:36 am

I like the shots of single flowers each in their own vase. It’s nice and informal whilst making more of each flower.
    .-= klausandheidi´s last blog ..We have moved =-.

• Reply jenn April 26, 2010 at 8:39 am

beautiful pictures! the mr and i ended up having quite a domestic weekend. he worked on building our raised garden bed, and i worked on refinishing some old furniture pieces that we found at a salvage yard. i love home projects!
    .-= jenn´s last blog ..we’ve come a long way baby! =-.