Interior Styling Group

We all love pretty + REAL homes because they inspire and motivate us to get off our humps and do something creative at home! I hope I’m not promoting the decor8 Interior Styling Group on Flickr tooooo much but I’m just so proud of what we’ve all done with it – the images are so inspiring and at least 30 new ones are added daily and now we’re up to 1,852 members worldwide with over 2,600 images submitted to the pool so far! Yeah, wow is right!

Flickr Faves

All images are taken from Flickr members of their own spaces and contributed voluntarily, and we have monthly styling challenges posted in the Discussion section on the first of each month and some members can participate if they’d like while others can simply enjoy watching from the sidelines. There is a lovely range of homes to see that represent so many different decorating styles though I have to admit the focus is really on fresh, modern living, vintage modern, bohemian, eclectic, retro… I’m not opening the group to styles that fall outside of those areas because I want the group to have some visual harmony. Not all photos submitted are approved (I have to play the bad guy moderator) based on a number of reasons (too dark, not taken by the person submitting it, text/borders on images, product shots meant for promotional purposes, two many of the same photo, etc. but I do my best to allow as many as possible without the group becoming out of control as so many Flickr groups often do. And that always bothers me because I join a group with promise and hope and then in a few months it’s a mix of so many different things that the overall excitement is gone for me and I usually leave the group. I think this is because many groups are either not moderated or they are moderated by people who are scared to deny certain photos to the group – they don’t want to offend or hurt anyone’s feelings and trust me, I’m a sensitive soul myself so I understand how this can be challenging. BUT if you run a flickr group you are doing a huge disservice to your members if you start approving every single submission. It’s almost like blogging, you cannot possibly show everything that you see or that is sent to your inbox. I suggest Flickr group owners taking their groups as seriously as their blogs — it’s heard I know, but your members will really, really appreciate it and your little group will blossom into a beautiful, inspiring space online.

Here’s a glimpse above from one of the members, Jillian Frances, who took the time to create the above collage of 9 images from the following flickr members who contributed to the group: 1. me, decor8, 2. dottie angel, 3. fifi mandirac, 4. i L’aria, 5. die frau im haus, 6. the new domestic, 7. fensismensi, 8. i L’aria and 9. designace30. Don’t you love the bold, energetic palette!

To see all of the images, or to join the decor8 Interior Styling Group, please click here.

Posted by decor8 in uncategorized on April 29, 2010

1. Heather commented
    April 29th, 2010 at 8:30am

You know, Holly, what you do is something special. This blog; that Flickr styling group; the way you share a few details of your life on Facebook – and the response you get, is all about inclusion. You’re creating places where people feel welcomed; like they belong to something, and above all, that it is one hell of an act of love.

(The fact that you also make a living from it, inspires me so… )
    .-= Heather´s last blog ..light up your life =-.

2. Marit commented
    April 29th, 2010 at 8:55am

inspiring picture! Really want to do something here at home soon!
    .-= Marit´s last blog ..099 =-.

3. Mandy Ford commented
    April 29th, 2010 at 9:05am

Love this group – so much inspiration!
    .-= Mandy Ford´s last blog ..today’s special =-.

4. Amy Strodl commented
    April 29th, 2010 at 9:15am

This is a really wonderful concept and the work is fantastic! Kudos.
    .-= Amy Strodl´s last blog ..Girl Power =-.

5. decor8 commented
    April 29th, 2010 at 9:18am

Heather that is one of the nicest things anyone has ever told me. Thanks for making my day.

6. renee commented
    April 29th, 2010 at 9:28am

It’s always great when people want to share their homes, it’s more of a source of motivation and inspiration, than a magazine. Thanks!

7. heidi commented
    April 29th, 2010 at 10:12am

Fifi and Dottie are my faves….
    .-= heidi´s last blog ..50′s style =-.

8. Jasmina commented
    April 29th, 2010 at 10:16am

Really nice with a lot of inspiring pics. Nice to see also that fensismensi is so popular, because she comes, like me, from a little country. I expect the group will countinue to inspire me. Great job!
    .-= Jasmina´s last blog ..Today’s quote =-.

9. Trisha commented
    April 29th, 2010 at 11:04am

WOW, Holly… a total DITTO to everything you just said about Flickr groups! I am trying my hand at moderating a flickr group, and it is so difficult to deny anyone ( I actually say out loud ” I’m so sorry :( ” every time I have to delete something.) I admire all that you stand for: inclusion, diversity through proper editing, and plain old nice-ness! :) I think since you are a tender spirit…you treat people with respect…and that is always in style. I am honored to have been a part of your Interior Styling group; and am so thankful to have “met” such an inspiring person in you. Keep up the good work dear leader…”to whom much is given…much is expected”. We are listening…..
    .-= Trisha´s last blog ..A Trip Back in Time….. =-.

10. tinajo commented
    April 29th, 2010 at 11:47am

I´m glad you did promote it because I had missed it – will check it out! :-)
    .-= tinajo´s last blog ..Today so far in photos =-.

11. sideoats + scribbles (Lisa) commented
    April 29th, 2010 at 12:12pm

I just joined the group and all I can say is WOW! I have a feeling I’m going to be spending many more lunch breaks there. Can’t wait! :)
    .-= sideoats + scribbles (Lisa)´s last blog ..The List. =-.

12. Make, Do & Send commented
    April 29th, 2010 at 12:25pm

i just wanted to say that I dont think you plug the interior styling group too much ;) its such a great source of inspiration so its nice to get a reminder every now and then to check out whats new.

13. marigold commented
    April 29th, 2010 at 2:10pm

Holly, I love that group and I love that it is so well moderated. Since joining I have been inspired so much! So thank you. I am learning to take better photographs and see things in a whole new way, decorating wise. xo

14. Lisa commented
    April 29th, 2010 at 7:27pm

Hi Holly, I have to echo all of the above. Thank you for the great work you are doing moderating the group, it makes it a real education (at least for a novice like me!). It isn’t just a collection of random photos – I know that every photo in there has been ‘approved’ by a discerning and educated eye, and therefore holds a lesson/example of styling, subject, and photography. Having had photos turned down only makes me look at the photos I take with a much more critical eye, which of course makes me take better photos! I have learned SO much from you, from this blog and the group, and have really and truly been inspired. The fact that you put so much love and effort into making random people like myself feel creative is a true gift – so thanks. :)
    .-= Lisa´s last blog ..Mom =-.

15. Etincelle commented
    April 29th, 2010 at 9:33pm

I haven’t posted anything yet, but I loove to browse images in the pool. It is a real delight and an afternoon treat (with a cup of tea by my side). Thank you for keeping it nice with the guidelines you have given upfront; I feel it is really useful as ALL the pictures have that something special and are interesting to watch :)
    .-= Etincelle´s last blog ..Happy Mothers Day – Enchanting Matryoshka Doll – Mini Me – Dina =-.

16. Deb commented
    April 29th, 2010 at 9:53pm

I LOVE THIS. I will join, this will motivate me to finish a few projects :)
    .-= Deb´s last blog ..Sweet Relief =-.

17. Kate @ Songs Kate Sang commented
    April 29th, 2010 at 11:36pm

Oh, this is such a great idea.

You are so right – it is good to have a focused vision!
    .-= Kate @ Songs Kate Sang´s last blog .. =-.

18. Sarah commented
    April 30th, 2010 at 7:58am

I agree with Heather, you are expansive and so generous with everything, a true inspiration to tens of thousands. You have done a beautiful job of creating a community of design. Your hard work and dedication is so appreciated – thank you.
    .-= Sarah´s last blog ..Pinch =-.

19. Piper commented
    April 30th, 2010 at 12:02pm

I love viewing your group – especially because you keep it so true to it’s intention so each time I visit I know what I’m going to see…and that it’ll be gorgeous interiors and styling. It’s so disappointing to join groups and then see it go from it’s original intention to anything and everything. I appreciate that you take the time to curate – it’s just an amazing group full of beautiful images to ooh and ahh over :)!
    .-= Piper´s last blog ..{shake it up – week 17 scoop} =-.

20. Minnie commented
    April 30th, 2010 at 12:26pm

I adore this Flickr group and consider it my guilty pleasure since I could spend hours looking all those great photos. It’s so inspiring to view the homes of regular people and see the creative ways they’ve styled their belongings. As for plugging it, I don’t think you do it too often and I like the reminder. I don’t mind at all and always appreciate the curating.

Have a great weekend,
    Minnie
    .-= Minnie´s last blog ..Vera, a style maven ahead of her time =-.

21. ju ju be commented
    April 30th, 2010 at 12:26pm

Thanks for letting me know for the flickr group. I can enjoy some eye candies every day!!!!

It motivates me to make my little home pretty

Thanks Holly
    .-= ju ju be´s last blog ..More vege, less carbs =-.

22. elle moss commented
    April 30th, 2010 at 1:32pm

Just joined the group and loved going through the pool!
    .-= elle moss´s last blog ..alice b. gardens…freebies! =-.

23. Diana commented
    April 30th, 2010 at 4:23pm

Wow indeed! Have an amazing weekend, darling :)
    .-= Diana´s last blog ..Modern Day Fairytale… Chapter 6 =-.

24. agneta commented
    May 1st, 2010 at 4:14am

I just love & like your blog!

Agneta, a swedish one ;)
    .-= agneta´s last blog ..Constance the Vintage Caravan =-.

25. Edyta commented
    May 1st, 2010 at 10:02am

These are so cheerful and beautiful! What a wonderful collage :)

xoxo
    Edyta

26. Emily commented
    May 1st, 2010 at 1:35pm

Wow… you’re right. I’m inspired to start my next house beautification project!!! I just LOVE the yellow circle pillow on the right. How cute.

Thank you so much for advertising this flickr page! I’ll be checking it often, and hopefull, adding own photos soon!

Emily
    Painting365.blogspot.com
    .-= Emily´s last blog ..The Artsy mother’s Day Gift-Giving Guide =-.

27. Jacqueline commented
    May 2nd, 2010 at 8:14am

Your Interior Styling Group is such an inspiration to me. The fact that you edit the group is why I frequent it so often. It is filled with styles I love and want to emulate in my home.
    .-= Jacqueline´s last blog .. =-.

28. ephemerette commented
    May 2nd, 2010 at 12:23pm

Ohh have just spent an hour flicking through the shots on your group! What a lot of great talent!

29. Kyleigh commented
    May 2nd, 2010 at 2:33pm

I’m so glad I’ve found this blog – it’s amazing. So much inspiration!

Thank you!

30. yania mena commented
    October 6th, 2013 at 8:58pm

Thanks for such great idea!! I feel inspired and motivated.