Findelhof Flea Market

Good morning to you dear friends –  I’m so happy to be back because Friday I went missing but I must say that having Friday to work offline was very satisfying for me and now I feel like I’m ahead of my workload instead of buried beneath it. On Saturday I found myself with friends in a nearby village called Celle at a lovely flea market held on the grounds of an old farm built in 1478 called Findelhof and we were able to meet the current owner who has quite an amazing property that I imagine is a bit of a dream come true for him to own it. He’ll have more flea markets on his farm this year if you are local you simply must go (6/13, 7/18, 8/8, 9/12 and 10/10)!

Findelhof Flea Market

Imagine this — maybe 200 flea market tables and some food stands surrounding a farmhouse and carriage houses filled with beautiful, affordable vintage finds and some antiques which reminded me a lot of the big Brimfield show that I usually attended each May back in Massachusetts… only a bit better because this flea market was smaller and more affordable, less crowded,  and the grounds were much prettier and you could enjoy beer, wine, and other refreshments and in part of the house there was a beautiful setting to behold… a bakery with homemade vanilla and berry plunder (light and airy pastry dough filled with berries and topped with vanilla pudding) and sandwiches, tea and coffee, and attached to this rustic area where you order your afternoon bites there was a room that felt like something from a movie set with grey/green walls, a corner ceramic stove, high ceilings, antique wooden floors, rustic wood tables, and gorgeous afternoon light streaming in that made the space feel welcoming and cozy. I also enjoyed the outside space where you could lounge around at cafe tables (where we sat) to enjoy the fresh country air and sunshine. Around the farmhouse you could wander the grounds from table to table and shop for buttons, ribbons, oil paintings, vintage postcards and papers, teacups and other porcelain wares, linen in every weight and color from pure white to oatmeal, furniture, books – and much more. They even had a candy cart for the kids with freshly spun cotton candy. I will definitely return to this flea market in the summer!

In this photo collage you can see a glimpse of my day — though I was with friends and really did not want to be a journalist as sometimes you simply must live life without thinking of what would make for a great blog post, right? But yes, you can still see a glimpse of what it looked like there at the Findelhof and you can also see some of my loot. I came home with 5 vintage medicine bottles and 3 white enamelware measuring cups/pitchers all for about $24 USD. Not bad!

(photos taken by me and my husband thorsten)

Posted by decor8 in travel on May 03, 2010

1. Masha commented
    May 3rd, 2010 at 5:44am

Oh, Holly, this is just amazing…I’m really jealous. Here in Bulgaria we don’t have flea markets. It’s such a shame. And I have been looking for white vintage enamel cups for weeks, but no luck…
    .-= Masha´s last blog ..A Perfect English Afternoon in Sofia =-.

2. Susan Williams commented
    May 3rd, 2010 at 6:21am

I love it….someday I will make it to Germany and hopefully will be at a time I can visit this wonderful flea market. Enjoy Holly…you are on a grand adventure!

3. juliette commented
    May 3rd, 2010 at 7:02am

hmm, might have to see if we can stop by at the tail end of our summer roadtrip, looks like a nice way to spend an afternoon!
    .-= juliette´s last blog ..Sewing a tunic: gathering inspiration =-.

4. Traveling Mama commented
    May 3rd, 2010 at 7:02am

That is just so cool! I would love to go to a flea market like that! And I love your finds! We happened upon a handmade market in Atlanta two weekends ago but it was pouring rain… so no pics! But I agree- sometimes it is nice to simply BE without thinking about a blog post! I did find some gorgeous jade salt and pepper shakers from the 1930′s and I met some really awesome artists!

5. Melissa de la Fuente commented
    May 3rd, 2010 at 9:43am

It looks absolutely heavenly! *sigh* Such a beautiful place you live in my dear!
    xo
    Melis
    .-= Melissa de la Fuente´s last blog ..Monday: An inspired pair… =-.

6. lisa :: the red thread commented
    May 3rd, 2010 at 12:15pm

Just look at the fantastic laughing face that building has!!
    .-= lisa :: the red thread´s last blog ..New Things! =-.

7. Samantha commented
    May 3rd, 2010 at 1:56pm

I thought you where a little quite on Friday, I very nearly put out a ‘whats happened to Holly’ alert on twitter, don’t like to miss a dose of decor8!
    Glad all is well, and i’m a big fan of flea/charilty shops and markets too. Love to find strange and unique items, all the better when the sun is out.
    .-= Samantha´s last blog ..Monday Happiness =-.

8. brandeye commented
    May 3rd, 2010 at 2:05pm

sounds utterly amazing. i need to make a trip to germany soon!
    .-= brandeye´s last blog ..ava grace =-.

9. sideoats + scribbles (Lisa) commented
    May 3rd, 2010 at 2:32pm

Oh Holly, what a great little flea market! I miss flea markets — growing up with my grandparents in Ohio we went to bunches! Texas doesn’t seem to have as many though, and the finds aren’t as good — probably since Texas was settled later.

And those bottles + pitchers — love them! Can’t wait to see how you use them, they look perfect for flowers :)
    .-= sideoats + scribbles (Lisa)´s last blog ..A different kinda traffic jam. =-.

10. Copper commented
    May 3rd, 2010 at 9:14pm

This flea market looks wonderful! They feel so charming and you find the most wonderful things!
    .-= Copper´s last blog ..Pillow Talk =-.

11. katka commented
    May 4th, 2010 at 3:51am

Holly, I want to thank you for these posts about local events. A couple of months ago you posted this:

and I planned to go ever since and I finally went yesterday! The market was in Antwerp this time and I got some lovely fabrics.
    I am not exactly local (I live in Belgium) but the German flea market looks amazing and it looks like a good trip :)
    Thanks.

12. rommelmarkt België commented
    November 23rd, 2013 at 10:23am

Ik love love love Rommelmarkten. Je vond een aantal echt goede vondsten .. Zou graag de voor en afters zien, als ze eenmaal zijn gemaakt voorbij.