Ferry Staverman Paper Art

I can get lost in the paper art of Dutch artist Ferry Staverman today… just look at these beautiful creations. Are they not grand? Ferry graduated from the Royal Academy of Art in 1970, before most of us were born, and has been exhibiting ever since. These beauties make the paper snowflakes that I made for my windows this past winter look like child’s play! I really like his use of color and the details – wow so meticulous – these sculptures range in size from quite small to larger than life and are constructed using recycled cardboard and thread and they remind me of honeycomb paper ornaments.

Ferry Staverman Paper Art

Ferry Staverman Paper Art

Ferry Staverman Paper Art

I can’t imagine the focus an artist must have to do work like this that demands such repetition. Their shapes are so evocative of things like bells, trees, sea plants and animals… I also love how he uses variations of the same color because this gives the work great depth and beauty.

What do you see when you look at these shapes?

If you want to see more of his work, pick up a copy of the beautiful Papercraft book published by Gestalten in Berlin. I’ve been dying to get my hands on this book! And a special thank you to decor8 reader Gabi in Munich for telling me about this gorgeous work today! I always appreciate reader tips! :)

(images: ferry staverman)

Posted by decor8 in Arts + Crafts on May 04, 2010

1. Ludmila {CreamyLife.com} commented
    May 4th, 2010 at 6:35am

WOW! STUNNING!!! His book might be the next one my wish list!!! I wish I could do this!!! It’s amazing!!!
    .-= Ludmila {CreamyLife.com}´s last blog ..Todd Alexander Romano =-.

2. Will commented
    May 4th, 2010 at 6:46am

These would be fantastic for Christmas. I have some similar ones from Habitat’s Christmas 2009 collection.
    .-= Will´s last blog ..{10 Things I Learned This Weekend…} =-.

3. Tina commented
    May 4th, 2010 at 6:53am

Oh my goodness. How fantastic, I wish I had one of these at home – would make me happy every day! :-)
    .-= Tina´s last blog ..Every now and then… =-.

4. luisa commented
    May 4th, 2010 at 7:13am

omg these sculptures look so beautiful. i actually wouldn’t know what to do with them but they are stunning. i imagine the passion you need in order to make them. do you know Yulia Brodskaya? she does amazing paper work. very delicate and filigree. i’m falling for her work everytime i look at it.
    .-= luisa´s last blog ..Spring decoration =-.

5. Erin commented
    May 4th, 2010 at 7:46am

Wow! Those are unbelievably beautiful.

6. Autumn commented
    May 4th, 2010 at 8:09am

I’m so glad you posted about Staverman. His work is amazing. I love that they recall something we are so used to seeing (the honeycomb paper decorations you mentioned), but are actually so sturdy and complex. And especially the giant ones! And, I second Luisa’s thoughts on Yulia Brodskaya – another amazing paper artist.

7. Diana L commented
    May 4th, 2010 at 8:44am

I have never seen any thing like this. Stunning. The colors are wonderful too.
    .-= Diana L´s last blog ..Cornflower Blue Beachcomber Sea GlassEarrings =-.

8. Meghan commented
    May 4th, 2010 at 8:55am

How fun! I love them and wish I had the patience to make something like that.
    .-= Meghan´s last blog ..I am not enthused… =-.

9. sideoats + scribbles (Lisa) commented
    May 4th, 2010 at 9:59am

Oh wow! I didn’t know that people made things like this — by hand — I thought it was all done by machine. Wow again!
    .-= sideoats + scribbles (Lisa)´s last blog ..A different kinda traffic jam. =-.

10. visualingual commented
    May 4th, 2010 at 10:28am

Oh, my goodness, such gorgeousness! These are really, really sublime.
    .-= visualingual´s last blog ..East Coast Seed Bombs =-.

11. gina commented
    May 4th, 2010 at 2:06pm

Now that is something you don’t see everyday~ amazing detail, beautiful.
    .-= gina´s last blog ..Water Cooler Talk ~ Part 1 =-.

12. Beth commented
    May 4th, 2010 at 3:32pm

I cannot even fathom the time and tediousness that goes into each of these – thanks for sharing!
    .-= Beth´s last blog ..Hello Catherine Nolin =-.

13. Hona @ liveoutlife commented
    May 4th, 2010 at 3:37pm

wow! such a unique idea. they would make lovely center pieces…:)
    .-= Hona @ liveoutlife´s last blog ..Monday Morning Coffee =-.

14. anjuli a. commented
    May 4th, 2010 at 3:51pm

i see cacti… and ladies in poufy dresses! these are awesome.

15. Karen Wise commented
    May 6th, 2010 at 7:31pm

Gorgeous! So intricate…

16. Hope Ava commented
    May 6th, 2010 at 7:57pm

Oh my gosh my gosh this is my new obsession! Those are so wonderfully whimsical…like a fairy tale brought to life! I’d kill to have one of those big ones in my home!

Thanks so much for sharing this amazing artist with me!
    Hope Ava

17. Victoria Bennett Beyer commented
    May 7th, 2010 at 11:35am

Wow! These are amazing! Thanks for sharing.

18. Jurine commented
    August 14th, 2010 at 4:42am

I just simply LIKE IT! brilliant!

19. yuna commented