Shopping + Products

Urban Outfitters Goodies

May 6, 2010

I’ll confess, I don’t recall purchasing a single item for the home recently from Urban Outfitters but how many times I’ve wanted to! I bet the UO people will wonder why I’m telling you this but it’s not you UO, it’s me. The core reason has to do with crowds. Whenever I visited their stores in Boston they were so jam-packed that I couldn’t even think, which I’m told is a sign of old age as everything seems louder to me lately anyway, but I prefer shopping in environments sans mobs that are a bit more laid back. Their big sister, Anthropologie usually fits the bill. I guess thirtysomething geezers who despise shopping fast and furious can always hit the UO online shop for a little shopping zen which is exactly what I’ve done this morning. And here’s what I found…

Urban Outfitters Goodies

one. quilt :: two. magnetic photo frames :: 3. apple bowls :: 4. shells + stars bowl.

Urban Outfitters Goodies

a. wooden bulb :: b. bird feeder.

I found so many great things in their shiny “new” section – from wooden waffled bulbs made by the fabulous design collaborative Suck UK to a wooden cat bird feeder (cheeky, eh?). I also liked this reversible quilt that I found. One side is a bit graphic and edgy while the other is a little romantic romp in country fields.

Wouldn’t those wooden bulbs look great over sleek white lacquered dining table with rustic wooden chairs and white wooden floors with a large seagrass rug beneath? Oh yes… Maybe a black and white geometric patterned runner on the table that mimics the lines in the waffled bulb? Maybe three zinc black pots down the center of the table with succulents inside and some wooden plate chargers with crisp white plates on top and Belgium linen napkins tied with black and white baker’s twine and a yellow stem of something pretty – like button flowers? And a black feature wall with lots of lovely art? Just sayin’.

(images: urban outffiters)

You Might Also Like

• Reply Niki May 6, 2010 at 5:16 am

Love the reversible quilt. Has a bit of a retro feel about it. Think UO and Anthropologie are brilliant stores and give the rest of the high street (in the UK at least) a lot to think about.

• Reply Ludmila {} May 6, 2010 at 5:16 am

Those apple bowls are so sweet! It’d work so good for a colorful kitchen (in apple green color)…And the quilts are gorgeous! Very cute items, Holly!
    .-= Ludmila {}´s last blog ..Keep It Open =-.

• Reply Flourish May 6, 2010 at 6:02 am

I don’t usually shop at UO either, but recently I came across a chair and some metal letters that I’ve been crushing on. I adore the the quilts above -I’ve been looking for one to switch out for the spring/summer months, this may foot the bill. Great post!!!! :-)

.-= Flourish´s last blog ..{Balcony Inspiration: My Makeover} =-.

• Reply Furniture-MA May 6, 2010 at 6:27 am

I always start the decorating of a dining room with painting the walls and skirting boards the same color. Then I measure the room to see what size furniture will fit comfortably. After measuring, it’s important to reserve at least 2-2.5 feet of space between the walls and the edge of the table. A round shaped table may not always be suitable in a small space. For rooms that are awkwardly shaped or long and narrow, a bench-like table would be suitable. Also before adding furniture, the color scheme should be taken into consideration. I think of the rug as the first layer to consider, followed by the chair seat covers. When picking out furniture, I always advise people to go with something that is timeless looking.

• Reply Christine - Kawaii for You May 6, 2010 at 6:39 am

Oh I love those Apple Baskets…. just gorgeous! Christine xo

• Reply laura trevey May 6, 2010 at 7:14 am

I love that sweet bowl!
    .-= laura trevey´s last blog ..Flirty and Fun =-.

• Reply heidi May 6, 2010 at 7:23 am

The quilt and bowl, love at first sight.
    at UO I also love their rugs!
    .-= heidi´s last blog ..A colorful spot…and a break! =-.

• Reply Sandy May 6, 2010 at 8:17 am

i really love UO home decor!! that flower bedspread is sooo pretty!

• Reply jenn May 6, 2010 at 8:25 am

hehehe… i love that bird feeder!
    .-= jenn´s last blog ..master cleanse- day seven, and some weekend goodies! =-.

• Reply Elle Sees May 6, 2010 at 8:32 am

My two fav stores. Seriously! It’s impossible to walk out of either and not find something you like.
    .-= Elle Sees´s last blog ..Outfit of the Week: Happy Cinco de Mayo! =-.

• Reply Piper May 6, 2010 at 8:36 am

I’ve noticed lately that UO has some really great furniture online – kind of retro meets modern. And it’s affordable – love that!! I just love the quilts you selected…so perfect for summer :)
    .-= Piper´s last blog ..{third drawer down} =-.

• Reply Gosia Maj May 6, 2010 at 8:53 am

Say more, please. I had to laugh, reading your last paragraph. It’s amazing how these ideas just come to you, one after the other. Fantastic stream of consciousness – love it.
    .-= Gosia Maj´s last blog ..Ladybug – Lady Luck =-.

• Reply claire May 6, 2010 at 8:56 am

I fall under the thirty-something geezers, heehee :) But I do visit Urban Outfitters and these are the top three sections I check out: (1) home stuff, (2) jewelry & accessories, and (3) Lomography cameras. Don’t they also own the shop “Free People”?
    .-= claire´s last blog ..A Bottle of Cleanliness =-.

• Reply Kirsten May 6, 2010 at 9:31 am

That quilt is pretty :)

Have you seen Ingrid’s home (from woodstool) on Apartment Therapy?

• Reply Nat May 6, 2010 at 12:26 pm

Shopping zen attitude is a great idea ;-) UO or Anthropologie have an exotic side for Frenchies : so I usually practice online shopping… One of my fav of your selection is the quilt !
    .-= Nat´s last blog ..Exclu : Chanel Coco Cocoon x Vanessa Paradis Campagne Pub =-.

• Reply lara May 6, 2010 at 12:28 pm

You are not alone. Yet I’m in my early twenties and every time I walk into UO I’m overwhelmed with the amount of merchandise in the store. It’s too hard to navigate, but the reason I usually don’t buy from them is because of the price for quality ratio isn’t balanced.

Anthropologie I love, but cannot afford more than soap there. Okay that’s not true.

• Reply cathie hong May 6, 2010 at 12:29 pm

i love that reversible quilt! calm on one side, cheery on the other — perfect for shifting moods.

• Reply Pins + Paper May 6, 2010 at 12:30 pm

I love these finds! And I completely understand the whole shopping in crowds versus the online shopping :)

~ Kristen
    .-= Pins + Paper´s last blog ..Magnetic Clips Set of 3. Yellow Paisley =-.

• Reply Brooke H May 6, 2010 at 12:30 pm

I have to get those polaroid magnets. Too cute!

The UOs in NYC usually aren’t too crowded. It may just be that I got on off hours though, usually really late or mid day during the week.
    .-= Brooke H´s last blog ..Tuesday Tip: Denim =-.

• Reply MmePaulita May 6, 2010 at 12:52 pm

Makes sense since they are from the same company as Anthro. If you have a store near you, I always have bought things on clearance. Great deals for sure.

• Reply wendy May 6, 2010 at 1:57 pm

apple bowls! Sweet!

• Reply Danielle May 6, 2010 at 2:00 pm

That is just too funny…I feel the exact same way. I have never purchased a thing from UO, because I am a thirty something year old geezer as well. So I totally relate. I would rather spend more in peace, than get a deal and feel anxious and loose my train of thought. Thanks for sharing…I completely empathize!

• Reply Kitty May 6, 2010 at 2:03 pm

The polaroid magnets and the cat bird feeder are too cute!
    I have never considered UO for buying stuff for the home before, now I’m off to see what other goodies they have in store. Thanks for sharing =)

• Reply shash May 6, 2010 at 2:38 pm

As pretty as UO’s quilts are, I have owned one and been less than impressed. The thread that ran through the patches (on mine) would constantly snap with the tiniest stress amount of stress. For example, if I would lay down on it, I’d hear a pop– constantly. Although, I’m no longer using it as a bedspread, I’ve kept it– but with the intention of re-sewing the entire thing. That, is not something to brag about when it comes to a UO product. Their quality level is extremely low.

• Reply Sofia May 6, 2010 at 3:30 pm

I loved those two duvet covers the 1st time I saw them on urban’s website. So feminine and classy:D
    .-= Sofia´s last blog ..Bohemian traces =-.

• Reply katie May 6, 2010 at 4:04 pm

I just got the snap picture frames last week and I love them! They’re so fun.

• Reply Jessa May 6, 2010 at 4:09 pm

Love the quilt!!!

• Reply Debra May 6, 2010 at 7:04 pm

I could really climb up under those beautiful covers.
    .-= Debra´s last blog ..Colbalt Blue and Emerald Green Earrings (dangly) =-.

• Reply Travelingmama May 6, 2010 at 7:39 pm

Personally, I will happily battle it out with the crowds but I prefer sans les enfants! We were down in Midtown Atlanta a couple weeks ago and went to the COOLEST UO EVER! It is in an old vintage building with an original movie theater and even a diner that has been there since the 1930’s. It was pouring rain outside and it was completely wonderful strolling around with just my Traveling Man and looking at every little thing. I just wish they carried more of their home stuff in the stores!
    .-= Travelingmama´s last blog ..for {mom} =-.

• Reply alexandra keller May 6, 2010 at 8:23 pm

you just have to go when the crowds aren’t there! just a little after they open on tuesdays and wednesdays works best for me. and that’s for pretty much any retail
    .-= alexandra keller´s last blog ..DIY – infinity or tube scarf =-.

• Reply Etincelle May 7, 2010 at 1:23 am

Aren’t these quilts just what I was looking for???
    I am off to check them out, and also their prices…
    .-= Etincelle´s last blog ..Starting all over again =-.

• Reply Ariel Starling May 7, 2010 at 1:43 am

The quilt is to die for. I myself have been lusting over UO’s Antoinette Fainting Sofa… hopefully they’ll still carry it when I can afford it!

• Reply Marlous May 7, 2010 at 2:03 am

We “discovered” UO two years ago during our holiday in was love at first sight. I’m the proud owner of a Matte Stephens cushion that travelled along with us in our suitcase all the way from the eastcoast to the westcoast and back to our home in The Netherlands. They should come here too, I love love these shops!

• Reply Emily May 7, 2010 at 10:34 am

UO teams up with some interesting designers, and the prices are actually affordable (most of the time, and especially on sale). I love Anthropologie, but it’s just out of my price range.

I recently bought a cute shower curtain on sale from UO online…I love it. Have also been eyeing some of their rugs and a side table…but I really like that shells and stars bowl.
    .-= Emily´s last blog ..Choosing colors =-.

• Reply Becka @Studio222 Photography May 7, 2010 at 10:52 am

HAHA, that birdfeeder makes me smile. :)

• Reply Tara Melissa May 7, 2010 at 8:24 pm

I love that bedspread. I wish it came in dorm room sizes.
    .-= Tara Melissa´s last blog ..Weekend Links – 5.7.2010 =-.

• Reply Janine May 9, 2010 at 10:33 am

That two way duvet is gorgeous!!
    .-= Janine´s last blog ..Falooda Flavour : ColourLovers Palette =-.

• Reply Rachel May 10, 2010 at 9:56 am

the UO shop is one of my favorite places to “window shop” online:) love your picks!
    .-= Rachel´s last blog ..Shop of the Week: Bird WIng Press/ Productions + a Giveaway =-.