Vinyl Tablecloth As Wallpaper?

Hello and happy Monday to you! I’ve slowly been coming down from the whole food poisoning bout that I had… I thought my illness was a cold but no, it was definitely something I ate and it nearly landed me in the hospital. I will visit the doctor tomorrow just to make sure I’m nearly over this. It’s been a tough week! Yesterday I was able to get out for the first time in days and went to a garden festival (link here) and enjoyed the beautiful flowers, plants, tents filled with vendors selling their wares, and wonderful food tents though I wasn’t able to eat a thing as my appetite is gone for what feels like forever. But I did find a pretty spring blouse, a small silver bird and a watery blue-green ceramic planter in an organic heart shape that I just love. A few nice things always lifts the spirits! The festival, fresh air, sunshine was all very nice but after a few hours I was exhausted and ended up home on the sofa with a pot of tea and a stack of magazines and a DVD which ended up being equally very nice. I love lazy Sundays!

VTWonen idea

In my stack ‘o mags, I pulled out the June issue of VTWonen magazine and on page 130 I stopped and stared at the wall believing it to be vintage wallpaper with doilies on it. Then I checked the sources and nothing was listed but noticed instead that it was not wallpaper at all but a vinyl tablecloth cleverly adhered to it! Well imagine that… I love seeing things used in ways that rebel a bit against their intended purpose… almost like this tablecloth told the homeowner, “Hey you, loosen up a bit and stop following tradition and just throw me on the wall already, will ya?” and the homeowner followed orders.

Don’t you adore this idea? I’m wondering how, long term, you’d adhere a vinyl tablecloth to a wall without ruining the wall? Ideas? And in what rooms would this be practical as it wouldn’t work in a formal dining room and certainly not in a bathroom. I imagine this working though in a child’s play room or in an eating nook as shown, especially if you have little ones, this would be a great easy-to-clean budget idea for sprucing up dull walls. It may also be a nice touch in the mud room, laundry room or entryway. And now this has me thinking of alternate ways to use vinyl tablecloths and I wonder how well they’d work as throw rugs (may be a bit slippery so I imagine you’d have to put thought into this before just tossing one down). Could also work as flooring on a small covered balcony if you adhered it properly… Hmmm. What do you think? Where do you see a vinyl tablecloth other than the table? Perhaps you could cut one and frame it as art too?

This photograph was styled by Judith Dekker (does anyone have a link to her portfolio online?) and photographed by Alexander Van Berge.

(photo: vtwonen)

Posted by decor8 in diy on May 24, 2010

1. P8 commented
    May 24th, 2010 at 5:46am

Looks great indeed ! We had for a long time floor linoleum from Ikea at our walls in the kitchen. Very colourful and very practical !
    .-= P8´s last blog ..Tidbits : Monday Moodboard =-.

2. Margarida commented
    May 24th, 2010 at 5:48am

This idea is SUPER!
    I remember my grandmother covering some kitchen shelves with “sort of oilcloth tablecloth” and I used to hate it… but that was 30 years ago. May be now I would look at those shelves in a different way :-)))

Have a nice week and I hope you get better soon.
    .-= Margarida´s last blog ..*Baptismo* *Christening* =-.

3. fourdaysaweek commented
    May 24th, 2010 at 5:57am

Holly, happy Monday to you, too. I hope you get better soon. The hardest part about having a lazy Sunday is getting past the guilt from knowing there’s so much to be done. As for the vinyl tablecloth as wallpaper, I would have to take a pass on it. But I can see it as an interesting, framed art.

4. juliette commented
    May 24th, 2010 at 8:16am

Perhaps if you put some gromets in the tablecloth you could just hang it on the wall w/some hooks or nails.

Might be great in a mudroom, on a balcony, or as an alternative backsplash in a bathroom or kitchen….oooh, lots of ideas now!

Great share!
    .-= juliette´s last blog ..Top 2 Music Videos in Germany =-.

5. Brigitte commented
    May 24th, 2010 at 9:40am

What a fantastic idea! I bought a remnant of purple and white checked oilcloth a year ago and have yet to put it to use. Off to brainstorm!
    .-= Brigitte´s last blog ..Covet on a Budget: Put Those Corks to Use =-.

6. Erin @ SYL: Slipcover Your Life commented
    May 24th, 2010 at 9:45am

Such a great idea, and something that us renters can duplicate if we’re careful to not use permanent adhesive!

7. kristin commented
    May 24th, 2010 at 11:02am

I was going to suggest the same thing as juliette! I thought it would look really fantastic as an alternative backsplash in the bathroom or kitchen. I think I’d install it with those decorative furniture nails and just pull it as tight as possible. It’s such a great idea because it’s less permanent than tile, so you could easily (if you wanted) change it up for the seasons or just when you’re tired of it. Even better if you’re renting and want to spruce the place up without getting into trouble! Feel better soon!

8. kelly rae commented
    May 24th, 2010 at 11:31am

holly, i love this!!! i’m in renovation madness over here and this has my brain rolling with ideas…

and you MUST see what i found underneath my walls when we started to scrap off the paint…vintage wallpaper. you will love it.
    check it out: http://kellyraeroberts.blogspot.com/2010/05/seriously-hoping-im-not-crazy-on-this.html
    .-= kelly rae´s last blog ..somerset studios march cover =-.

9. gina commented
    May 24th, 2010 at 11:52am

Now that IS creative, I think a mudroom would be a perfect place for this idea, there’s always dirty splashes to clean up, and this would make it simple and fun :)

Hope your feeling better~
    .-= gina´s last blog ..Back to the Garden =-.

10. Wendy commented
    May 24th, 2010 at 12:10pm

Why not staple it to the wall and trim the edges with something decorative? Another option: do a decorative edge with scissors (a zigzag with pinking shears or a big scallop) and then tack it up with decorative nailheads like they use on upholstered chairs.

11. Roxane commented
    May 24th, 2010 at 12:35pm

Love that idea!

I have always thought that vinyl tablecloths would be good things to use for making outdoor cushions. The patterns are always fun and current, and they are inexpensive enough that a little dirt and water won’t matter too much!

12. Sly_Fox commented
    May 24th, 2010 at 12:53pm

I was thinking of making my own “window film” treatment with a vinyl tablecoth or shower curtain – something matte-clear but with an optical “privacy” embossing, or something just lacey enough to allow in light, but block the view in and out. Both materials are easy to cut (no ravelling), come in the yardage I need for odd-sized, non-standard windows , are readily available and inexpensive, and there may be some wonderful mandala-like geometrics or doily-inspired lacy designs out now. They’re also probably a lot easier to handle, as a one-person job, than commercial window film or anything with an adhesive backing.

You might be able to adapt vinly tablecloths as accent rugs if you treat them like “floor cloths”. I’ve seen hand-painted ones on heavy-duty canvas fabric. If you want a solid color base, you could probably gesso or primer coat, then acrylic paint, than use spray adhesive on the vinyl. But the vinyl is slick, so that might only be a good treatment as an accent under a coffee table, out a traffic area.

13. decor8 commented
    May 24th, 2010 at 1:00pm

Kelly Rae – Wow, that is gorgeous. Yes – totally old world charm. Love it. I bet you can sand them down, add your own paint in places… oh that would be so lovely. GO FOR IT LADY.

14. suzanne commented
    May 24th, 2010 at 9:15pm

Once I re-upholstered some seats of my patio chairs w/ a vinyl tablecloth. It was easy, and super durable. And very colorful ~

15. Jeanee commented
    May 24th, 2010 at 10:55pm

Great idea for a splash-guard in a kitchen!
    .-= Jeanee´s last blog ..4 – makeunder my life =-.

16. Vicky commented
    May 25th, 2010 at 1:15am

I have been loving how fabric hangs on walls after dousing it with liquid fabric stiffener. I did this for my recent sly fox baby shower and it looks fabulous. I imagine fabric stiffener might work on table clots also, I will have to try it out sometime soon.

17. follyandglee commented
    May 26th, 2010 at 8:01am

Crumbs now you got me thinking. I’ve just blogged earlier in the week about my obcession with vintage vinyl contact paper or sticky back plastic – follyandglee.blogspot.com. Its harder and harder tofind but vinyl tablecloths sprayed with adhesive on the back could serve the same purpose? ummmm- thank you for the tip off!
    PS so glad you enjoyed London. next time to must venture out of the city.

18. Andrea Lenz commented
    June 26th, 2013 at 11:06am

Great Idea..But my grandmother says in her day they used oil cloth as wall paper and sometime ago, unfortunatly using it for kitchen are not advised because it is not fire safe.