Books + Magazines

We Love Living: New!

May 26, 2010

While at the farmers’ market this morning gathering peonies, freesia and veggies for my table I came across a kiosk and spotted a brand new decorating magazine called We Love Living. Great title! The magazine is very similar to Living & More (also published in Germany) but has a bit more English text in it and feels fresher and younger which I love.

We Love Living: New!

Their motto is to, “Be the change you want to see in the world”, a familiar expression but so powerful. I like the message behind this magazine as it supports what I stand behind so fully — the idea of loving your life and being happy THEN tailoring your home to meet the needs of you and your family — to support you spiritually, emotionally, physically… in every way. I think for a long time we were more interested in impressing others and less so in living at home – really living there and loving it – this is how it should be but how it wasn’t for awhile as the trend was to simply fill your home with what would make the neighbors say, “Ooooh my”.

We Love Living: New!

These days I feel this shift, it’s been going on for awhile but getting stronger, but I feel a shift in how people live at home and how they are decorating — don’t you? In more affluent parts of the world in pockets where there is wealth there is always a feeling that one must have the biggest and best to beat out all of the others. But in my circle of friends, and no doubt in yours too, there is more of a feeling now to personalize the space and to be a bit different from the pack.

We Love Living: New!

We Love Living: New!

We Love Living: New!

We Love Living: New!

Truly, the home is the only place on earth where we have absolute freedom of self expression. We can run nude from room to room if we choose, eat cereal for dinner from time to time, throw our clothes on the floor if we’re too tired to bother, and dance in the shower singing Donna Summer tunes with a shampoo bottle as our mic. It’s not just where we can be 100% ourselves, but it’s also where we can show our personality through how we choose to decorate and live — the colors we select, the crafts we make and display, all of it gives us a unique opportunity to surround ourselves with what makes us, well, us. I’m still a student of German so I cannot read all of the text in We Love Living as well as I wish I could — but I get the sense that this magazine supports how I feel about the home and it precisely why I like it. It’s also very affordable, only 2,90 Euros per copy and it is sold all over Germany, Austria and Switzerland, 10 issues per year beginning with the one shown in these photos – their first of what I hope to be many, issues to come.

We Love Living: New!

I wish the team in Offenburg at We Love Living, Caroline Vogel, Angelika Wuenscher, Stephanie Volk and Petra Weissburger all the best with their new magazine!

(images: holly becker for decor8)

You Might Also Like

• Reply anne keane May 26, 2010 at 7:53 am

I love the fresh looks!

• Reply Make, Do & Send May 26, 2010 at 8:03 am

You really got me thinking with this post Holly. Me and my boyfriend are thinking about buying our first home soon and whilst I know we wont be able to afford our dream house straight off the bat I know that what ever we do find I will be able to turn it into the perfect first home for us by bringing our personality and style to the space all i ask is that it has lots of light! I am also continually inspired by the little details I find on blogs like yours and all the wonderful homewares on etsy that I can use to style up the space and make it individual and totally ‘us’ :)
    .-= Make, Do & Send´s last blog ..Primele Address Stamps =-.

• Reply Nidhi May 26, 2010 at 8:04 am

You are so right – a home is an extension of the person – and you dont really need loads of money to make it special! And the magazine is sehr schon!

• Reply Manon May 26, 2010 at 8:05 am I need to go outside an get the magazin. :) thanks for finding it

• Reply Raru May 26, 2010 at 8:14 am

Ha ha… Love your post really. And this magazine looks really fresh and clean.
    :) Thank you.

.-= Raru´s last blog ..Quotes ? ?????? =-.

• Reply Stina May 26, 2010 at 8:21 am

Oooh, lovely! I can’t wait to get my hands on a copy. Maybe I’ll see if my supermarket has it this afternoon!
    .-= Stina´s last blog ..Die Jugend von heute =-.

• Reply kerri May 26, 2010 at 8:33 am

that IS a great title! thanks for spreading the word-

• Reply Justine May 26, 2010 at 8:34 am

Ever since Borders have closed down in the UK, I haven’t been able to find any great magazines like this one. The selection of magazines in the supermarkets are not my cup of tea! I have my Country Living subscription, but I need more!!! The selection of UK home and craft mags seem to be a little poor, or I just don’t know where to look!

• Reply Jacqueline May 26, 2010 at 10:23 am

Very well said, Holly. The heartbeat behind why and how I decorate my home has always been the opportunity for building lifelong relationships with my family, friends, and all who come through my door. I long for my home to be somewhat of an extension of my arms stretched open wide to embrace and provide comfort to its occupants and guests. This post was such a great reminder of that desire of my heart. Thanks for the inspiration!
    .-= Jacqueline´s last blog ..Unconditional Love =-.

• Reply juliette May 26, 2010 at 10:28 am

oh this is so exciting! this looks really lovely and I will definitely be grabbing this magazine if I can find it in my area (will probably have to make a run to the train station)! I agree, many of the German decor mags feel ‘older’ somehow, and not as fresh, so this would be a welcome addition to my couch tisch! =)
    .-= juliette´s last blog ..Top 2 Music Videos in Germany =-.

• Reply Laura May 26, 2010 at 11:14 am

This looks like a great magazine. Do you know if there’s a French edition?
    .-= Laura´s last blog ..Ceramic Mosaic Relief – Blue Scarab – Original Art =-.

• Reply Ludmila {} May 26, 2010 at 11:15 am

the crispy images make so jealous and inspired at the same time! jealous because I don’t access to this magazine!!! inspired, oh well, you understand why :). Great find, Holly!
    .-= Ludmila {}´s last blog ..Tall Headboards =-.

• Reply Ludmila {} May 26, 2010 at 11:15 am

the crispy images make me so jealous and inspired at the same time! jealous because I don’t have access to this magazine!!! inspired, oh well, you understand why :). Great find, Holly!
    .-= Ludmila {}´s last blog ..Tall Headboards =-.

• Reply MmePaulita May 26, 2010 at 1:49 pm

very cute. I love the colors of the magazine
    .-= MmePaulita´s last blog ..Pretty Amazing Morning =-.

• Reply Briana May 26, 2010 at 2:42 pm

This magazine looks so fresh and inspiring. Wish I could read german :(
    .-= Briana´s last blog ..:: Luckett Spring Market :: =-.

• Reply Frau Mayer May 26, 2010 at 3:08 pm

Till now, all the mags I really love had the word LIVING in them (Real Living, Living and More, Living Etc). Let’s see if this one can join in :)
    .-= Frau Mayer´s last blog ..News from the Fantastic Flat =-.

• Reply Tanya May 26, 2010 at 4:24 pm

This post is so beautiful. The photos and rooms themselves are gorgeous, but your words describing home truly captures what its all about. Thank you.

• Reply a pocket full of posies May 26, 2010 at 10:33 pm

ooooh! wishing I could find a copy in the U.S.! LOVE the thoughts behind this new mag.!
    Thanks for sharing!
    .-= a pocket full of posies´s last blog ..My new car! =-.

• Reply Melissa de la Fuente May 26, 2010 at 10:35 pm

So lovely….I adore that image with the yellow flowers! And I completely agree….such a wonderful way to make a home.
    .-= Melissa de la Fuente´s last blog ..Melissa loves: Unknown… =-.

• Reply jennifer ramos May 27, 2010 at 1:08 am

Interesting new magazine…as always you find the coolest ones. :)))

Jen Ramos
    .-= jennifer ramos´s last blog ..Leah’s Colorful Home Tour… =-.

• Reply bianca May 27, 2010 at 1:54 am

hi holly,
    yes, the magazin looks beautiful … but there are so many stories out of other magazins, so i think, i buy it never again, before i take a look inside …
    xo bianca
    .-= bianca´s last blog ..ein bischen umgeräumt =-.

• Reply katrin May 27, 2010 at 6:25 am

I jump and get one in the next Kiosk!
    Thank you for posting!

• Reply Manette May 27, 2010 at 12:51 pm

I want this magazine, maybe I can find it at Borders? Even if it is in German – great style has no language barrier. Thanks for sharing.

• Reply Nicolai May 27, 2010 at 2:10 pm

• Reply Hannild May 27, 2010 at 2:13 pm

YES! -I Also Love We Love Living!

• Reply Annette May 28, 2010 at 9:38 am

I bought it yesterday since the pictures in this blog caught my eye, but it’s not my cup of tea. If you prefer a clean retro style with only a few whimsical details, then you might find it too “pink” after all. As a writer, I’m not too enthusiastic on the texts either. Some nice pictures, some nice recipes, not enough substance for a magazin, in my very personal opinion.

• Reply angela June 12, 2010 at 6:00 am

so glad that you literally “stumbled” upon this magazine!

petra and caroline are dear friends of mine… and what they put together is not just a labour of love, but truely a signature of themselves, their style and passion.

and i think the title says it all… we love living.

just a few more weeks and the next edition is out.

i can promise you, it’s going to be just as wonderful too!

hope all is well with you…

ganz liebe grüsse,

• Reply Meyer-Lavigne August 23, 2010 at 12:35 pm

How nice to see the photos we took of Michelles summerhouse. We had not seen the magazine, so it was nice to discover.
    Warm regards,
    Kristine and Sabine

• Reply decor8 August 23, 2010 at 2:44 pm

Kristine/Sabine – You took them? Oh you did a lovely job. The magazine didn’t mention that (I don’t think) so I didn’t know. It was a wonderful spread, you did an amazing job.