Happy Long Weekend!

May 28, 2010

I felt inspired this morning by a few photos that I found awhile back on a blog and so I did some research to find exactly where I saw them first and it was on Emma’s blog. And the company behind the photographs is paint manufacturer Jotun. I really like these shots, though they are clearly styled for print and reflect that they were meticulously produced, I still like the rather random feel of them. I think that should be the goal of an interiors stylist for books, don’t you? To have a sort of laid back, “this is my life”, approach to producing a photo-worthy display.

Happy Long Weekend!

When things look too staged it doesn’t feel like something one can relate to, does it? Of course, product shots are always very “staged” looking and stuff for magazines often looks more set up than the shots you find inside of books, but I am finding the more natural approach much more interesting to capture and show these days. As I fly to Copenhagen this weekend (thankfully it’s a 50 minute flight so I don’t have to spend hours in the sky), I will try to produce work next week that will reflect my own sensibility more than ever before. This is the first time that I will direct and style for a book and I have been “trained” by some lovely people, including the book co-author Jo, so I feel like I have everything under control. I am ready to jump in and work hard! I can’t wait to work alongside the photographer and also to interview each homeowner to understand how they live in their space – this really excites me the most about the entire project – getting to know the homeowner and their space thoroughly so I can communicate it to you through the pages of the Decorate book. I want you to feel, as you are reading it, a connection to each home — a connection that I already have since I have personally scouted the locations. I have all of my questions prepared and my tool kit ready to go in case I need to pin or tack something (knowing me, I will!), and I am ready to get going on this project.

Happy Long Weekend!

Happy Long Weekend!

I have to pack today, and prepare more things for my trip, but next week Leslie Shewring will be here with a few posts, and I have Etsy Take Five Tuesday ready to go thanks to another guest who will be dropping in, and I will write a bit from the road and share some posts with you — so that’s how the schedule on decor8 will look next week. A bit light, but bright and inspirational as usual. Then the posting schedule will go back to normal for the rest of June. No matter where I am or what I’m doing, I always think about you and how I wish I could share everything here and how much I miss writing in this space. I also promise to collect my finds and experiences along the way, take some photographs, and share a nice Copenhagen round-up upon my return so stay tuned for that if you have an interest in Danish life and culture (and shopping!).

Have a nice long weekend and I’ll see you on Tuesday reporting live from Copenhagen (Monday is a holiday)!

P.S. I think we have a new flat to move into on September 1st! Yay! We will have the paperwork around June 7th so once it is “signed and sealed” I will tell you more about it and share some of my decorating plans as I go so you can see what I do to it if you’d like. :)

P.S.S. I’ll be tweeting from the road as I travel next week so you can follow my adventure if you find it interesting enough (ha ha) by clicking here and then clicking “follow”.

(images: Jotun)

You Might Also Like

• Reply Ludmila {CreamyLife.com} May 28, 2010 at 6:09 am

Love all the pictures above, they’re so calming – perfect for a Friday afternoon! Have a safe trip, Holly! And a great weekend!
    .-= Ludmila {CreamyLife.com}´s last blog ..Inspired by Ostriches =-.

• Reply Rosa May 28, 2010 at 6:20 am

Have a nice trip to the wonderful Copenhagen, and don’t forget to go to the amazingly cute tea salon Tea Time, you’ll LOVE it! http://www.tea-time.dk

• Reply Amie McCracken May 28, 2010 at 6:41 am

Love the broken vase picture. Can’t wait to hear about Copenhagen and more about the book.
    .-= Amie McCracken´s last blog ..The Last Chunk =-.

• Reply Traveling Mama May 28, 2010 at 6:49 am

I am thrilled beyond comprehension that you might have found a flat! I’m crossing my fingers and toes on your behalf that everything goes smoothly and you guys can finally, FINALLY settle in and unpack all those boxes! Of course I cannot wait to hear about your trip to Denmark! A dear friend of mine is moving to Hannover in a few weeks so I am going to try to make a trip to visit in the fall. My husband will be thrilled by how short the flight is, but I haven’t told him yet that I want to go alone! :-)
    .-= Traveling Mama´s last blog ..young {love} =-.

• Reply Queenie Bee May 28, 2010 at 7:05 am

These shots are gorgeous. I love white interiors – the middle shot of the broken vase is my favourite. Have a good trip.
    .-= Queenie Bee´s last blog ..On and around Lamma Island =-.

• Reply laura trevey May 28, 2010 at 9:20 am

Beautiful whites…

Have a wonderful Memorial Day weekend ~~
    xoxo Laura
    .-= laura trevey´s last blog ..Bright Ideas: Using Mirrors =-.

• Reply Melissa de la Fuente May 28, 2010 at 9:44 am

YAY! You have found a place! That is wonderful hun and I hope you have a fantastic time in Copenhagen…I am seriously SO excited for your book, I can’t stand it! :) And I concur…I like a bit of reality in there..saying that it is part of someone’s life. It is more relatable for me.
    .-= Melissa de la Fuente´s last blog ..The little things: dresses =-.

• Reply Libbyd May 28, 2010 at 10:13 am

Even though I miss your daily post when you are away, seeing the photos from your travels to all of these wonderful cities is an absolute treat for those of us that live in small southern towns. I visit your blog everyday! It’s the first thing I do when I get to work and for that quick time that I have to look, I feel as though I’m in your world, filled with culture and exciting designs of all kinds. Your blog gives us access to ideas, websites and etsy designer that we otherwise would know nothing about and I thank you for your time and effort to bring this to us. Thanks so much and I look forward to seeing more cities, that I can only dream of visiting for now, through your experience! All the best!

• Reply Jane @ The Borrowed Abode May 28, 2010 at 10:16 am

Good luck!

And I am so in love with that beautiful vase photo. It really, really is stunning!
    .-= Jane @ The Borrowed Abode´s last blog ..New Abode, Part 6: Guest Bath =-.

• Reply Nuit May 28, 2010 at 10:36 am

have tons of fun Holly!!!!! gorgeous post!
    .-= Nuit´s last blog ..Second-hand Style done right =-.

• Reply Christine May 28, 2010 at 10:43 am

I love your take on styling! I totally agree,I am much more drawn to a photo when I feel like I can relate to it, make something work for me in my home!

Congrats on maybe finding a flat and have a great trip!!

• Reply Tricia Rose May 28, 2010 at 11:17 am

Here’s to your natural approach – we are right to feel suspicious of room after room without waste paper baskets and places to put your feet up! Eye candy is all very well but it can lead us astray and be well, just empty optical calories!
    .-= Tricia Rose´s last blog ..The Daily Basics =-.

• Reply Brigitte May 28, 2010 at 11:20 am

Have a great time Holly!
    .-= Brigitte´s last blog ..(No) Plans for the Holiday Weekend =-.

• Reply Bicocacolors May 28, 2010 at 11:29 am

Love the all white…
    makes my heart happy today.
    Elena, the spanish one
    .-= Bicocacolors´s last blog ..todo gris =-.

• Reply monica of hola!design May 28, 2010 at 11:58 am

These are beautiful images I have a passion for Scandinavian design so I’ll be waiting for your Copenhagen guide.\Good luck!
    .-= monica of hola!design´s last blog ..Miami : An explosion of color =-.

• Reply Bobby May 28, 2010 at 1:59 pm

Love the sweet ‘cracked’ egg vase. Have a great weekend!

• Reply Page May 28, 2010 at 2:50 pm

everything looks so clean and neat :)
    thanks for posting this!
    .-= Page´s last blog ..A unique vest dress =-.

• Reply José Carrilho May 28, 2010 at 3:58 pm

I’m of the opinion that “classy” is related to simple and simplicty is always trendy, and this is for objects as for people, namely in the way we relate with each other.
    Through creation, besides expressing his/her feelings, the artist can contribute to our well being by improving the space that surround us and the objects that we use.
    The shown object remind me of the Classical Greece, which for my is synonym of intelectual development and good social relations.

Kind regards,

P.S. I guess that you won’t be able to show us a photo of the Little Mermaid this time :-)

• Reply The bunny theory May 28, 2010 at 7:27 pm

I totally agreed, a little imperfections always go a long way. Have fun on your trip!
    .-= The bunny theory´s last blog ..Yellow Melissa shoes =-.

• Reply The bunny theory May 28, 2010 at 7:27 pm

.-= The bunny theory´s last blog ..Yellow Melissa shoes =-.

• Reply Minnie May 29, 2010 at 11:39 am

me too, i much prefer a “lived in” look in interiors styling that lets me imagine the everyday lives that take place in those homes. it draws me in more and i spend more time with that magazine or book which approaches interior styling that way. those shots tell a story rather than just present a pretty photo.

have a great weekend and happy to hear you may have found a flat finally after all your searching “adventures.”
    .-= Minnie´s last blog ..Ingredients for a perfect holiday weekend =-.

• Reply Halen May 29, 2010 at 1:36 pm

Beautiful ideas & nice commentary!!
    .-= Halen´s last blog ..Home Insulation! What are the benifits? =-.

• Reply anna shoub May 29, 2010 at 8:19 pm

It is always nice to see a bit of a messed up room photo. Takes the pressure off a bit.
    .-= anna shoub´s last blog ..Great Market Day =-.

• Reply Lúcia May 29, 2010 at 9:36 pm

Wish you a nice trip, my friend.
    I love all the images, everything is so white.
    See you,
    .-= Lúcia´s last undefined ..If you register your site for free at =-.

• Reply Rachel May 30, 2010 at 9:41 am

love all these photos:) yes, i love interior design photos that looks doable, they are so inspiring! all the best to your upcoming project, it really sounds exciting!
    .-= Rachel´s last blog ..New Things from Our Shops of the Week =-.

• Reply Sandra May 30, 2010 at 2:03 pm

I also love the image with the vase. I especially like the blue wall. Could you please tell me the name of the colour?

• Reply Carolyn May 30, 2010 at 6:30 pm

I totally agree. I’m inspired by ‘living houses’. What I mean by that, is that it’s inspiring and encouraging to see others making lovely and creative homes, rather than seeing perfect display homes which don’t accommodate real life. These living homes provide me with something tangible which I can recreate in my own home. It’s also nice not to stress that everything be perfect and just so (perfection+children+animals don’t seem to go together!). That perfection kind of mindset seems to suck the joy out of creating a home..

• Reply Lorna - Garrendenny Lane May 31, 2010 at 3:55 pm

Have a lovely long weekend and safe travelling – lovely pics
    .-= Lorna – Garrendenny Lane´s last blog ..Buttercups, bees and birds =-.

• Reply Fallon May 31, 2010 at 5:21 pm

I love the broken vase! =) where is it from?

Congratulations on finding a new flat to call home!!! We all know this is something you have wanted for awhile and so deserve.
    .-= Fallon´s last blog ..J’adore Dior, Resort 2011 =-.

• Reply sarah September 26, 2010 at 4:41 pm